Photo

Gang Rankings

54 replies to this topic
Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

Pumping Propaganda since 04

• The Connection

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, that's possible as well. It might take a few months to perfect the system, but with some trial and error we should be able to get it pretty seemless. If we realize that the system needs changes, we can always go back and adjust it later.

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

• The Connection

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

Erm, sorry for the bump, but has this progressed at all? Was it even brought up in the OGA? Everyone that I've seen comment on this supports it, and I'm wondering if the official gang members have not put this into action out of mere laziness.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if it's being discussed or not.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

Meh, since PatrickW hasn't done anything I'll take it upon myself to post it in the OGA.

But before I do so, we need to come to the final plan and this is what I was thinking.

At the beginning of the last week of the month, two topics are made. One is to vote for the best gang and the second is to vote for the worst gang. Seven-days later, the topics are locked and the votes are transfered into points. One good vote gets your gang two points where one bad vote takes a point away from your gang. After the points have been calculated, the results are sent the the GWStaff. Month after month these points would accumulate.

Thoughts?

*gta star*
  • *gta star*

Z Man - Veteran Z member

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

^That seems a very good idea, good thinking CLC. I would be happy to see this great thought of yours come into action, but then again, others might not.

monocle.gif

BigGamer
  • BigGamer

Godful killing machine

• The Connection

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 5 2005, 13:34)
Meh, since PatrickW hasn't done anything I'll take it upon myself to post it in the OGA.

But before I do so, we need to come to the final plan and this is what I was thinking.

At the beginning of the last week of the month, two topics are made. One is to vote for the best gang and the second is to vote for the worst gang. Seven-days later, the topics are locked and the votes are transfered into points. One good vote gets your gang two points where one bad vote takes a point away from your gang. After the points have been calculated, the results are sent the the GWStaff. Month after month these points would accumulate.

Thoughts?

I like the point idea, but what do you mean by accumulating? As in the best/worst gangs would be determined over time, or would it still be on a monthly basis?

As I stated earlier, I would be willing to help publish the results.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:27 AM

I think he meant that the gangs are voted and judged each week/month, but that the points would just carry over.

Meh, if they were going to do this, I don't think that the points should be carried over from one week/month to the next. So that if a gang really drops off in quality, or another makes a sudden and marked improvement, it will show.

If the points were allowed to accumulate, a few weeks of being voted as good would cancel out one week of being the worst. I think it would be better to just keep a record of what the gangs got each week, but start from scratch points wise.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:26 AM

I'll explain what I meant about gang accumulating points.

Results of January 2005 -
Gang A: 25
Gang B: 12
Gang C: 20
Gang D: 35
Gang E: 600 (lol)

During this month, Gang A shows little improvement. Gang B earns some note worthy members and gains respect by some of the officials. Gang C has gone to war with a few people and lost votes. Gang D has continued to strive and has gotten better and Gang E is being hated by all.

Results of Februray 2005 -
Gang A: 27
Gang B: 24
Gang C: 14
Gang D: 50
Gang E: -100 (lol)

Current Tally -
Gang A: 52
Gang B: 36
Gang C: 34
Gang D: 85
Gang E: 500

But, how is it possible for a gang to get negative points?
Well, if the gang does not recieve any 'best gang' votes or just a few votes and recieves a lot of 'worst gang' votes, well the votes are subtracted.

Example: 5 people vote Gang Z as the 'best gang'. 25 people vote Gang Z as the 'worst gang'.

-(w) + 2(b) = r.
'w' represents the total number of 'worst gang' votes.
'b' represents the total number of 'best gang' votes.

Since points get subtracted for each 'worst gang' vote and points are worth double for each 'best gang' vote, that's where the '-' and '2' come into play. The minus turns the votes from 'worst gang' vote into a negative number and the '2' doubles the votes from the 'best gang' vote.

Final result -
-(25) + 2(5) = -15.

Clear?

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

Sounds great to me. I think its something that the unofficial scene could really benefit from. So is it going ahead or...?

btw - whats the OGA forums?

dills
  • dills

Work it Carlton!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (mr_ed @ Jun 6 2005, 13:56)
Sounds great to me. I think its something that the unofficial scene could really benefit from. So is it going ahead or...?

btw - whats the OGA forums?

I think this would help the unofficial scene as well. OGA- Official Gang Alliance. It is an alliance of 3 (i think) official gangs. I know the $$H and NYCC (i think) are a part of it, not sure what the other gang is.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

All gangs are in the OGA.

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

• The Connection

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:17 PM Edited by Over The Wall, 07 June 2005 - 09:30 PM.

That looks GREAT, CLC. At first I was skeptical about the accumlative point system, but I see why it would be better than a clean slate every week. My only concern though, is that when a new gang joins the scene, it may take awhile for it to climb the ranks. Also, a gang can make a complete 180 degree turn in a month. It seems like it will be very difficult for a gang to move up and down the standings.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:40 PM Edited by SWEETSAPRIK, 07 June 2005 - 09:45 PM.

I'm still for this idea, but I don't like the cumulative point system. It would only tell us what we already know, that Feroci is the best unofficial gang. Any gang that starts after this began would have no chance, even if it was really good. With the points being carried over, no new gangs will ever "climb up the ranks." as Over The Wall put it. Think about it for a second, once we got a few votes into this no new gangs would stand a chance no matter how good they were.

Example: (Assuming that it's held every month.)
We get ten or so months in, and a new gang is formed, one made up completely of kickass members that left official gangs to start it, with not one noob. Say that it becomes obvious that this gang is the second best gang now, it would still take a bunch of months of this gang being voted the best for it to get above some of the crappy gangs that received a few votes over the months before.

Not to mention that if more people join or leave the forum/official gangs, or just aren't active to vote, the amount of votes required to make a gang "the best" in one month could vary greatly compared to the next.

I still think that the votes should be reset every time, and we just keep a tally of how many votes each gang received in the past, or of how many times a specific gang was voted the best. Then there is less unfairness involved, a good gang can't slip off and still maintain their status, and a newer gang that's decent won't look crappy just because it's new.

(EDIT)
typo

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

• The Connection

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:28 AM Edited by Over The Wall, 08 June 2005 - 03:36 AM.

Pretty much what I started to realize as I made my last post, Sweet. Clean slate monthly, and just go from there.

We could keep track of some nice stats as well. Here are some ideas:
1)change in rank for each gang on a monthly basis (+/- x spots)

2) consecutive months as the top gang.

3)Number of "Best Gang" Votes

4) Number of "Worst Gang" Votes

As I am coming up with these, I realize that the "gangs in the middle" probably won't get very many votes. Say that there are 15 unofficial gangs. The top 3 or 4 will probably all receive multiple votes as best gang, while the bottom 3 or 4 gangs will receive almost all of the worst gang nods. This leaves a very small percentage of votes to the gangs ranked 5-11. It seems like it will be a very tight race in the middle. I'm tempted to think that there should be a more complex system. It will probably be a lot of work, but if we could make a program of some sort that had a "drag and drop" method to rank every gang, the results will be very accurate. What I mean by "drag and drop" is really just a list of all of the unofficial gangs, with their names movable. Try to imagine this as an example-

Feroci Racing------Corleone Family Mafia------The Renegades------Zaibatsu------etc...

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Drag the gang name onto the rank. It wouldn't be too time consuming, and would produce the best results possible. Assign values to each of the ranks, and tally the points. If a first place rank is worth 20 points, a second place vote will be worth 16, 3rd place around 13, 4th worth around 10, 5th worth 8, 6th worth 6, 7th worth 5, 8th worth 4, and continued as far as necessary.

Is it a plausible option?

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:53 AM

Also each member that votes, or select members could tell the gang they voted worst, how to improve, what to do what to change, I think you get my point.

(I can't wait to see CSC as the worst gang)
$

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:59 AM

I like your idea of the four statistics, Over The Wall. That may be implemented.

We in the OGA feel that using the accumulative point system to decide the next official gang. However, this has not been approved as of yet by Raindancer. Basically, the votes from June will set the base where the lower gangs can improve or fall apart from the July votes. In July, the gang will be disqualified from the gang race and be taken out of 'The Best of the Unofficials'. This gang will no longer be put onto the polls and will not gain or lose any more points. Sure, the newer gangs will be at a total loss, but then again, they wouldn't have become official anyways. And to be eligible to partake in 'The Best of the Unofficials', you must have the minimum ammount of gang members needed for an official gang. I believe that number is 15, but I'll have to check with Raindancer.

I was thinking about your original idea about just voting on all the gangs and how it might not be how you had originally intended it by removing a gang each month. If you decide, we could just keep the gang in the poll, but none of its votes would count in the accumulative sector. However, this gang would take votes away from the rest.

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

• The Connection

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

Well now that you are throwing official status into this kind of changes the whole thing. I completely support that motion, but in the long run, I'd like to see this used to rank all of the gangs on a monthly basis- even when there isn't a race on the horizon. The accumlative vote thing makes sense for an official race, assuming you believe that there are gangs worthy of that status at this time. Clearly no new gang would become the front runner at this point, but down the road, the clear slate method would work the best.

Tongue of Colicab
  • Tongue of Colicab

629>1506

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

I also believe this could change the gang scene. But for something to throw in, maybe every month one gang is temporarily removed. Like the officials can't vote for a certain gang on a certain week, or they just aren't included.

If you don't understand, I'll try to explain it better, later.

BigGamer
  • BigGamer

Godful killing machine

• The Connection

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

CLC, I understand that this could be a very effective system in terms of voting for officials, but I don't think that was the original purpose. Even with an official gang race, most unofficiall gangs still lack motivation. I think OTW was trying to say that this was basically going to set up a hierarchy among the unofficial scene, therefore establishing which gangs were legit in terms of members and respect and which ones were just buillsh*t (see that G.T.A. King's post above).

So, basically, what you were saying was that points get added up over time for gangs and such. I don't think that would be a very good idea, as Wall said, since it would eventually shut out any newer gangs from joining the race. However, you could more than make up for this through the stats section. There could be an archive or something of the "Best Unofficial Gang" winners by month, as well as numbers tracking number of votes, etc. This would help keep track of which gangs did well consistently, and also which ones saw a sudden spike or drop in support.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

Or just do an average, so new gangs won't be left in the dust, crashed, and on fire. $

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (BigGamer @ Jun 10 2005, 02:00)
CLC, I understand that this could be a very effective system in terms of voting for officials, but I don't think that was the original purpose. Even with an official gang race, most unofficiall gangs still lack motivation. I think OTW was trying to say that this was basically going to set up a hierarchy among the unofficial scene, therefore establishing which gangs were legit in terms of members and respect and which ones were just buillsh*t (see that G.T.A. King's post above).

So, basically, what you were saying was that points get added up over time for gangs and such. I don't think that would be a very good idea, as Wall said, since it would eventually shut out any newer gangs from joining the race. However, you could more than make up for this through the stats section. There could be an archive or something of the "Best Unofficial Gang" winners by month, as well as numbers tracking number of votes, etc. This would help keep track of which gangs did well consistently, and also which ones saw a sudden spike or drop in support.

We're still using OTW original suggestion aswell as tieing this into the gang race. Though, I'm still waiting for a PM from Raindancer. If the gangs lack motivation, then they shouldn't be here and should be disbanded immediately. There already is a hierarchy among the gangs, because we can all use our common sense to deduct that Feroci is the best (one of the best in minds of others) and that gangs like CSC suck.

Also, we'll be doing different sections with the points, not just an accumulation.

Section 1 - Official Gang Race.
Points accumulate, and each month after the first vote gangs will be removed from the polls until there is one gang standing.

Section 2 - Total points.
Accumulation of points.

Section 3 - All results.
The results of the all the polls in one table.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 10 2005, 06:02)
gangs like CSC suck.

Don't be mean, even though we do, still I'm tired of all the insults, so stop, just stop.

I look forward to see the gang ratings, I expect to see Feroci on top, Zaibatsu second, and Liberty Law Offices(Cause I like them allot(good people, and an original concept).
$

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

I can't remember the last time a suggestion actually made it through. wink.gif

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=196594

Monoxide
  • Monoxide

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:18 AM

I can't remember the last time a suggestion actually made it through. 

I beleive it was the flags. This would be good im all for it.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Monoxide @ Jun 25 2005, 20:18)
This would be good im all for it.

Erm, the suggestion has been made into a reality already.

The Best of the Unofficials.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users