Quantcast

» «
Photo

Bug List with Solutions (PC, PS2 & XBox)

69 replies to this topic
Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

how about buying a new cd drive as a solution wink.gif -- a 6 year od cd drive was probably relatively slow at reading anyway

Steve.
  • Steve.

R.I.P Shane/Kutt.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:36 AM Edited by Fuzzy Juzzy, 09 December 2006 - 01:04 AM.

I have found a legal solution for the spinning disc that some people have when having just installed a fresh Vice City.

Download a no-cd crack [This is completely safe, and will in no way harm your PC or your copy of Vice City].

It is simply another version of the gta-vc.exe, but some people (including me) have bought "corrupt" games. I don't exactly mean corrupt, but after a fresh install of Vice City, the game wont run.
  • Download the crack
  • When it is downloaded, unZIP/unRAR it and extract it to your desktop
  • Next, Right click the icon, and click "Cut"
  • Then browse to your Vice City directory. It should be: "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City", Unless you have installed it elsewhere.
  • Paste the icon in the directory. It should ask if you want to overwrite your existing .EXE. Click Yes.
  • Now double click the .EXE, and your Vice City should run without trouble.
NOTE: I am only going to host the temporarily. It is not my server and it is using someone elses bandwidth, so when someone downloads it, please re-host it as soon as possible, other it will just be deleted and no longer available.
Thanks.

[EDIT by Fuzzy] Links removed.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (Steve. @ Dec 9 2006, 11:36)
a legal solution

A dubious comment at best... Especially when the file is, without prettying it up or dancing around the issue, a no CD crack.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's better to err on the side of caution here regarding the legality of such executables and simply not provide links to the cracks. We've got "install the no CD crack" as a solution at present, and that itself is pushing it. I'm unsure as to how many legitimate purchases of VC are 'corrupt', and I would suggest the best course of action in such a case would be to return the copy to the store at which it was bought.

Thanks for contributing, though. The effort you evidently put forth - what with the hosting of the file and providing step-by-step instructions - hasn't gone unnoticed. It's nice to see some fresh faces around here (and indeed some faces at all tounge.gif ).

Steve.
  • Steve.

R.I.P Shane/Kutt.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

Eh, Oh well. I thought it would be legal, as it is simply just working .exe to replace a broken one which the supplier, in this case, Rockstar, has put on earlier discs?

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Steve. @ Dec 10 2006, 05:08)
Eh, Oh well. I thought it would be legal, as it is simply just working .exe to replace a broken one which the supplier, in this case, Rockstar, has put on earlier discs?

Not sure. Legality is a concept confined to national boundaries, so it's difficult to prove black and white. As far as I'm concerned, it's fair to expect your game to work, but as I said previously, the majority of uses of no-CD cracks aren't as legitimate as that. Since a better solution is to simply return the faulty product to the store, it's best to be safe and just not provide links.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:08 PM

Steve--

I asked for guidance a while ago from the site admins & moderators in the staff section regarding the legality and whether we want to allow certain files to be linked to on these boards--

The concensus was to NOT allow the no CD crack-- because its use has the potential to allow warez/piracy of the game.. and also to not allow linking to original game files-- only modded ones...

Legality issues aside, we want this forum to remain on Rockstar's good side-- which means ensuring they earn money on every copy of the game-- the reason they are in business---

so I hope you (and others) understand the reasons behind Fuzzy's & my actions when warez or potential warez links are posted--- as Fuzzy said, we do appreciate your intentions..

Feel free to PM us any questions regarding this or related issues... I'm something of a PC version/modding idiot so Fuzzy would be better for specific file sharing questions...

Cyc2u
  • Cyc2u

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:21 AM Edited by Cyc2u, 04 April 2007 - 03:24 AM.

Problem #5
Not all my weapons are spawning at the Hyman Condo. This problem is only on PS2 (as far as I know).

Confirmed. It happens on the PC as well. No minigun or rocket launcher at Hymans after collecting 74 packages. I bought it when i had 41.
The sniper rifle spawned at 50, but not the others.
I loaded a previous save and collected 71, bought Hymans and all was OK.
No cheats used on any saves and I have no mods loaded.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

I'd never heard of that bug on PC, but I thought the same thing of the "trial by dirt"/"test track" glitch also, but found a PC gamer that had it too....

Your disk must be missing a "1" or "0" somewhere smile.gif ...

The workaround I described should work for you too.... tough luck lately...

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:51 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 18 April 2007 - 01:27 AM.

QUOTE (Cyc2u @ Apr 3 2007, 23:21)
Confirmed. It happens on the PC as well. No minigun or rocket launcher at Hymans after collecting 74 packages. I bought it when i had 41.

That has never happened to me on PC. I had less than 40 packages and all my weapons came to the Hyman Condo as stated by a black message box on the top-left corner of the screen.

QUOTE (Spuds)
I'd never heard of that bug on PC, but I thought the same thing of the "trial by dirt"/"test track" glitch also, but found a PC gamer that had it too...

Yeah, that happened to me when the times were the same, but it didn't stop me from completing the game 100%.

* Now I am not even sure if I should be contributing here by myself, maybe via PM. But here's some more bug fixes and their solutions...

PC version of Vice City:

Problem #20:
I recently changed the compatibility of 'gta-vc.exe' to Windows XP. But now I cannot run, blow my horn, nor skip cutscenses via the [SHIFT] key. Why?

Solution: Click on "Restore Defaults" when in the Controller Setup main menu. This refreshes the [.set] file, so there is no need for it to be deleted.

Problem #21:
When I play Vice City without using Windows 98 compatibility mode, textures take too long to load up and I can literally crash into objects that I cannot even see! Also, Hilary falls through the map and dies.

Solution: Lower the resolution of the game to 640x480/800x600 (1024x768 or above not recommended) if you have a weak graphics card. Also for the high-ends, make sure that anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering for either ATi's Catalyst/nVidia's ForceWare are set to "Application Preference" and that Mip-mapping and Texturing are set to "High Performance" -> you should also do that to every other setting. Note that resetting these display properties to the factory defaults is another way to do this. Also, I think you might want to read what Take 2 Support have to say about Hilary dying (partially loaded textures): 'Technical Help' -> 'Gameplay'

Alternatively: Turn on/off frame limiter and have a play with the draw distance.

Alternatively: Go into ATi's Catalyst Control Center, and enable something in the DirectX 3D settings called "Enable geometry instancing". However, this rarely helps, but it may give a boost in games that uses a lot of geometry such as GTA. I am not sure if there is any such setting in nVidia's Control Panel.

Alternatively: Buy a better graphics card and update the drivers (apply Patch 1.1 whenever necessary).

Alternatively: Use Windows 98 compatibility from now on. You'll enjoy top-quality performance at the maximum settings.

Problem #22:
During gameplay, I see constant sky flickering and the menu seems a bit too messy with horizontal and vertical lines as well as annoying character maps which doesn't make any sense.

Solution: Update your graphics card driver and/or apply the 1.1 patch.

Alternatively: Uninstall/Reinstall the game, and then delete the [.set] file.

Alternatively: Toggle the frame limiter, and play around with the draw distance.

Alternatively: Try different resolutions in display setup, and a different color quality (16/32bit)

Alternatively: Play the game without compatibility mode turned on (Windows XP mode), or use Windows 98 mode.

Alternatively: For nVidia cards, go into the Forceware Control Panel and set every DirectX/3D settings to be "Application" as well as "High Performance". For ATi cards, go into the Catalyst Control Center and set every DirectX/3D settings to be "Application Perference" as well as "High Performance". You might want to play around with the VSync and the Refresh Rate as well, in addition to things like Double/Triple Buffering and Bilinear/Trilinear Filtering. Note: If your graphics card driver doesn't come with a display companion, check these settings in 'dxdiag.exe' (Display tab) or 'Display Properties' in the Control Panel.

Alternatively: Buy an ATi Radeon discrete solution (R500-R600) and avoid nVidia 8800GTS/GTX or any of their related card(s). Also, don't use IGP chipsets such as Intel GMA as their graphical rendering performance is abysmal, except for the upcoming Radeon Xpress 1250 integrated which is based on an X700.

Alternatively: Go to Take 2 Support website, and go to 'Technical Help'. Under the 'Video' heading, you'll see several bullets dealing with all sorts of graphical in-game glitches. It might be a smart idea to read them.

Advice: M.O.D.S -> you do not want to use them in a case like this, so uninstall them.

Problem #23:
Everytime I enable anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, I get horizontal and vertical lines in my main menu. How do you fix this?

Solution: Follow the advice given in Problem #22. If this doesn't help, go into ATi's Catalyst Control Center and enable "Alternate Pixel Center" in the '3D' option menu, and then click on 'More Settings'. As for nVidia cards, I am not exactly sure what setting helps this situation.

Problem #24:
I am getting strange acceleration bugs when accelerating my car. What's up? The car scrapes on the ground and is not steady.

Solution #1: Exit Vice City fully, and load up your game again. It is not known if this bug also affects PS2 gamers. The problem only appears to arise randomly. This method has been proven to work effectively, so it will always work. But always keep this in mind -> if you are going to play Vice City, try to play the game without pausing it everytime. The CPU needs to be left alone working on Vice City as its main priority. tounge.gif

Solution #2: If you have this bug, make sure you are not nearby any cars or traffic. Now press the Windows key and resume gameplay. Once you get inside a vehicle, the bug shouldn't appear. Save your game after doing this, especially when it is already modded or corrupted.

Alternatively: Load up a save file that doesn't have this bug or simply start a new game, and then load up the one that has it. If still no luck, keep exiting and loading your save file until the acceleration bug goes away. Remember to save when this bug is cured. However, this method will not work most of the time.

Advice #1: Although this may not seem to be the natural cause, but don't leave Vice City running in the taskbar for too long. Oh, and another thing, don't do things like pressing the Windows key while you are driving in front of other cars that too have engines.

Advice #2: Stop using 'em cheats/mods.

Problem #25:
I pressed on the F1 key during a mission, and the game crashes to the desktop.

Solution: This is a known bug. The F1-Replay effect is buggy and in certain situations where textures are loaded, pressing the F1 key right in the middle of this event crashes the game.

Advice: Don't press on the F1 key when cheatcodes are already used. There are times when the ESC key does this ridiculous behavior too. You'll regret having to start over from the beginning; use the F1 key at your own risks!

PS2 version of Vice City:

Problem #7:
The game takes long to load during startup and my PS2 reads like crazy!

Solution: Clean the disc and try not to scratch it. Some PS2s have better reading capabilities such as Slim PS2 vs Original PS2.

Problem #8:
Textures take long to load up in some places.

Solution: None. This is a rare bug for PS2. Normally the only thing that doesn't load up fast enough is the roads where you will occasionally see water on top of it. If this problem also happens elsewhere, it doesn't hurt to clean the disc.

Problem #9:
I was in a helicopter and it caught fire. All of a sudden, it explodes and the game freezes leaving my controller vibrating indefinitely. What's wrong?

Solution: None. This does not happen everytime and only in a rare extent it will. If this happens and your controller vibrates rapidly, restart your PS2 or plug out the controller.

Advice: Try not to use cheatcodes.

Problem #10:
My game is taking forever to start/end a mission cutscene!

Solution: None. This seems to be the game's programming fault. But you could try also cleaning the disc.

Problem #11:
At the loading screen, my game takes forever to load!

Solution: This normally has something to do with certain memory cards which might be deemed corrupted. Usually saving the game more than once on that specific save file or on a different save slot will help. If you still have issues, clean the disc.

Advice: If you saved the game while cheatcodes were used, then it may contribute to this problem.

Problem #12:
I got killed and I see a white screen with the 'Wasted' message, which doesn't seem to want to disappear and is not letting me continue gameplay.

Solution: None, apart from cleaning the disc. This has something to do with how the game was programmed itself. But it will eventually clear up in a few minutes.

Advice: Avoid using cheatcodes as well as GameShark/Action Replay, and of the like.

If there's any problem listed that seems redundant, edit the problem out. icon14.gif

Man, I want to do a double post...

LOL

Fuzzy Juzzy and everybody else who have Vice City for PC -> try this! First, get into a car. Come out of it and press on the Windows key. Now click on the Vice City icon in the taskbar, and try to now enter into the car. There you go, your "strange acceleration bug" glitch! rahkstar2.gif To fix this, press on the Windows key again and return back to Vice City and it will be fixed all of a sudden. So this glitch/bug seems to occur because the CPU's priority attention in Windows Task Manager... had been slightly changed???

* Actually, there's an easier way: While inside of the car, hold down the reverse key and at the same time, press on the Windows key. Resume gameplay and you should see the glitch in action. To fix this, just keep your car steady, press on the Windows key, and resume gameplay. This can happen frequently, but only if you do it properly and if you are lucky. Yes, this is very complicated and I need an explanation for this.

This glitch takes a couple tries to do

* While accelerating fast and you car begins to make noise, hit on Windows key and resume gameplay. There's your glitch again. There are so many ways to this, but I am not sure what the exact cause is. All I know is that it has something to do with pressing the Windows key and when driving a vehicle.

Explanation (I think): Glitch happens when you press on the Windows key prior to getting into a vehicle with traffic close by. There seems to be a conflict with the AI's vehicles engine to your engine. Yup that's it: When ready to drive, you will normally here the engine of the other car's on the street -> that's where the conflict occurs. You PC gamers must have pressed on the Windows key/Alt-Tab (same thing tounge.gif ), and took a break from Vice City. After doing that, you immediately resumed gameplay and took a car that was located near to the engine sounds of other vehicles spawning right in the middle of yours. Correct?

Well, that's why glitching is fun, eh? An easier way... anuj_cop.gif As soon as you are nearby vehicles, press on the Windows key and resume back gameplay. You have just did the "strange acceleration bug" glitch flawlessly, and you are now capable of doing it everytime! To fix this, make sure you are not near to any other vehicle apart from yours (you should be only hearing your own engine). Now press on the Windows key and resume gameplay. Also notice that when pressing on the Windows key right near to the engine of other vehicles, you hear a noise distortion between the time the game brings you back to the desktop.

lol.gif -> Better yet, press on the Windows key anytime you start to hear moving traffic and their usual engine sounds. Now go into a car for a nice glitch. Note: Do this glitch to cars that are accelerating fast, or have loud engine! Cars like the Infernus are especially loud. To make any car accelerate fast, go shoot at the window or directly on the car. He/She driving the vehicle will begin to accelerate fast, thus, engine loudness. This glitch isn't going to work for vehicles that have soft engines.

rahkstar2.gif well messed up the PC version of Vice City more than anything else. PS2/Xbox gamers are lucky and are the fortunate ones.

Zom-B
  • Zom-B

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

Hmm, i'll try this out, i'm planning to install VC again so i can play the GTA:LC mod again, thanks for all the help. biggrin.gif

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Ring. I've updated the post with your solutions, although I did use some licence here and there to merge similar problems and to remove superfluous advice (e.g. don't use mods/delete the SET file) since they're stated in the intro. I'm afraid we still don't see eye to eye on the idea of Restore Defaults editing the SET file, but I've given you the benefit of the doubt and left it there as an alternative solution. I will check into this though.

I've contacted the powers that be - a shiny first karma star might well be heading your way.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:50 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 23 April 2007 - 03:30 PM.

Problem #21:
During gameplay, the sky constantly flickers and the menu appears messy with horizontal and vertical lines as well as annoying character maps.

Some more things to add:

Alternatively: Uninstall/Reinstall the entire game and then delete the game's main folder (C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Vice City). Now delete the [.set] file ('My Documents' folder -> 'GTA Vice City User Files'). Take 2 Support mentioned about some possible files other than the [.set] file in the game's directory that may mess up the textures for the game. So it's usually best to do a fresh installation.

Edit... Alternatively: For nVIDIA cards, go into the Forceware Control Panel and set every DirectX/3D settings to be "Application" as well as "High Performance". For ATi cards, go into the Catalyst Control Centre and set every DirectX/3D settings to be "Application Preference" as well as "High Performance". You might want to play around with the VSync and the Refresh Rate as well, in addition to things like Double/Triple Buffering and Bilinear/Trilinear Filtering. Note: If your graphics card driver doesn't come with a display companion, check these settings in 'dxdiag.exe' (Display tab) or 'Display Properties' in the Control Panel. Also, some of the newer Radeon HD cards and the GeForce 8 series such as the infamous GeForce 8800GTS normally have advanced settings which affects older games. You should keep in mind that you might need to disable those features.

Advice: Uninstall older drivers before installing newer ones. It just might cause conflicts with the older driver and then the graphics hardware renders horrendous graphics called "sky flickering". So for example -- if you had a Radeon and you upgraded it to a GeForce 8 card, uninstall the driver for the Radeon before installing the newest drivers for the GeForce 8. When we say 'update' the drivers, we mean also to uninstall previous drivers especially when different hardware come with totally different drivers, even if they are made from the same Catalyst or ForceWare software.

I'll add more problems if I spot down some more...

Problem #2:
Vice City crashes after a certain amount of time, with no obvious catalyst for the crash.

Alternatively: Update drivers: chipset, graphics, sound, CPU. If you want to, you could try flashing you BIOS to a newer revision. After doing all this, uninstall/reinstall the entire game (including mods) + delete the [.set] file.

Advice: Defragment your hard drive, and check for things like Spyware/Viruses.

Problem #7:
An Unhandled Exception error occurs.

Advice: Uninstall/Reinstall the game. Also, don't do things like enabling weapon cheatcodes and pressing on the F1 key at the same time.

Problem #8:
Mouse sensitivity is all stuffed up.

Alternatively: Uninstall your mouse drivers and use the Windows generic default one. If you don't know how to setup your mouse correctly when using these mouse drivers (e.g. Logitech MouseWare), it may cause problems. Also, make sure you click on 'Restore Defaults' when in Controller Setup. This sets the mouse sensitivity settings back to the defaults -- but you should also make sure that the mouse pointer speed/precision settings are set to the middle in Control Panel as well.

Advice: Clean your mouse. If you have a regular mouse, clean the rollers and the mouse ball. If you have an optical mouse, clean the bottom of it. Please note that if you don't achieve 20-30fps during gameplay, your mouse will also lag.

PC version of Vice City

Problem #15
Vice City runs way too fast. Insanely fast. Walking pedestrians seem to be running by.

Advice: Make sure frame limiter is turned on, particularly if you have a very powerful graphics card. You may want to turn on VSync as well in your display companion (Catalyst/ForceWare).

Problem #25:
At the Hyman garage, some doors I open crashes the game to the desktop!

Solution: Download LithJoe's trainer and use the Garage Editor to remove the vehicle(s) which belongs to the corrupt garage.

Problem #26:
After I had bought the Hyman condo, the helicopter on the upper floor freezes the game.

Solution: None. This is probably due to mods, trainer, and cheatcode usage. Start a new game and try buying the condo again.

Problem #27:
I get "not enough video memory" when I play Vice City, how do you fix this?

Solution: Reinstall your video drivers. Also make sure that in 'Display Properties', your hardware acceleration level is set to 'Full'. Confirm that all DirectX/3D features are enabled in 'dxdiag' as well.

Advice: Make sure you have at least 32+MB of VRAM.

Problem #28:
I want to be able to uninstall the 1.1 patch, and downgrade it to 1.0. How do I go about doing this? Also, I need to do this because I am unable to connect to the VC-MP servers since I had already installed Patch 1.1

Solution: Get the disc source, and copy the original 'gta-vc.exe' file to your game's main folder. You could also reinstall the game as well.

Problem #29:
I am getting a cyclic redundancy error during installation.

Solution: None. When that happens... your disc is either dirty, scratched, or damaged. You might need to buy a new one or clean the disc.

Problem #30:
I want to uninstall Vice City so that I can perform a fresh installatiion, but the thing is that it is not doing anything. Add/Remove Program freezes.

Solution: Reinstall the game via the disc source, and then try see if the uninstaller now works.

PS2 version of Vice City:

Problem #13:
I inserted my Vice City disc into the PS2. I turned it on and I get the PS2 logo, and then nothing shows up!

Solution: Clean the disc.

Problem #14:
During loading where all the main characters show up, Vice City doesn't finish the pink bar, and I cannot even start the game.

Solution: Clean the disc. If this doesn't help, then you have a "deep-black feathery scratch" on it which indicates to you that the disc had been slightly cracked, bended, or fractured. You may need to buy a new one.

Problem #15:
Tommy is on the screen, but I can't move him. I get the message that there's no Dual-Shock controller inserted.

Solution: Plug the controller into the slot properly, and restart after doing this. Also make sure that the controller you are using is a working one and that it is setup correctly. This is assuming you are using a normal PS2 wired controller and no other 3rd-Party ones, especially if they are wireless.

Problem #16:
I am not able to use my analog sticks on my controller to do certain actions.

Solution: Make sure the Analog light indicator is blinking red.

Problem #17:
I failed/died on a mission in the Downtown area, and I spawned at the stadium with all my weapons. This also happens when I get wasted there or get busted. Why don't I spawn to the closest hospital or police station? Note: The effect will not carryover if you save and reload... I do believe if you save, and continue playing, that the effect will still carryover.... it will only happen once-- if you die again you will respawn at the nearest hospital... you can do it again if you do bloodring again... I still think it will show up as you being wasted in your stats though.

Solution: If you fail the Bloodring when you run out of time, you will not actually die in the Bloodring. After you exit the stadium event, then the effect of the dying carries over outside in the Downtown area -- So if you die, you are transported back to the stadium with all your weapons. Also, this glitch may actually change your existing clothes back to street clothes. Thanks to Spuds for this solution! Source

Alternatively: Another reason for this is because the stadium events is just like any ordinary mission. If you get "mission failed", you will not die. As for the stadiums, you can die as well get mission failed. So after dying outside of the stadium events, the death sequence that was supposed to happen at the stadium, will occur in Vice City instead. Try to die, and the game will spawn you in front of Hyman Stadium.

Alternatively: This glitch also happens because of the message "Mission failed". If you were to fail the Bloodring, the game brings this message up in Vice City and a conflict will occur if you try to die since normally when you get mission failed, the game thinks you died as well.

Advice: Make sure that when you are in a stadium, either complete it fully or go directly into the pink marker to allow the game to spawn you properly back to Vice City -- try not to fail it. However, the glitch will not occur if you get wasted as well as mission failed since you died in a stadium which then lessens the "death sequence" conflict when you spawn back to Vice City. This glitch normally can be fixed by saving and reloading. But if that doesn't work, you can clear the memory by exiting Vice City and loading again. Another way as mentioned above is to die 2 times (one for when you were supposed to die in the stadium, and one for Vice City). The only way for this glitch to appear again is if you do one of the stadium events, particularly the Bloodring which seems to be the main contributor.

Problem #18:
Why is that when I get wasted in the stadiums, the game spawns me back to the main entrance with all my guns, and not the hospital? This kind of behavior doesn't occur if I fail or pass it.

Solution: Refer to Problem #17 above. Since you are already inside of the stadium ghostworld, there is a death sequence that happens when you die there and so you are teleported to the stadium instead. The game doesn't know of you dying in Vice City so it justs refreshes the memory and spawns you in front of the stadium like it always would. So when you die in the Bloodring, you don't die -- you just fail the mission and are transported outside the stadium with all your weapons. The reason why is that for all the stadium events, "dying" is another way of "mission failing". And seeing as no one dies when they get mission failed, this causes a conflict and you are brought back to the stadium entrance with all your weapons.

Problem #19:
Something is wrong with the display, controls, and audio. How do I change this? My picture tube is broken and I want to fix this, and I want to be able to change the display that's shown on the screen. The controls are not to my likings, and I have problems controlling Tommy and driving vehicles. Also, the audio seems way too loud/soft for me.

Solution: Click on the 'Start' button and you will see where to go next. Make sure to set all of the settings to their defaults for maximum gameplay experience.

Problem #20:
An error message in Vice City is keep telling me to insert the disc.

Solution: You may have either inserted the wrong one, or there's no disc currently inside. If it's Vice City, then the disc needs cleaning. Try restarting after doing this.

Problem #21:
I did a glitch once to get out of a ghostworld and I saved there. Now I loaded up my game and the ghostworld is still there!

Solution:
Go inside interiors such as PPC, Malibu Club, VCPD, NPM, Rifle Range, Apartment 3c, El Banco Corrupto Grande, Vercetti Estate, Cafe Robina, and Ocean View hotel.

I will eventually run out of problems... rolleyes.gif

And I am also going to confirm exactly as to how this Downtown area (Hospital/Police Station/Stadium) spawning works. I am awaiting myself the fact and results. I saw that Spuds had a solution, but I think there is another alternative which I might add as well.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

Thanks (again) Ring.

I've added the PC ones, I'll get around to the PS2 ones tomorrow. Also, I owe you an apology regarding the "Restore Defaults" solution - I thought you were referring to the Windows function rather than Vice City's own. Right you are. wink.gif

Good work.

Ring_of_Fire
  • Ring_of_Fire

Glitching is fun!

• Members

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:06 PM Edited by Ring_of_Fire, 12 June 2007 - 01:54 PM.

I thought I was mixing up in-game "bugs" with in-game "problems" and PC/PS2 troubleshooting, which would then belong to the troubleshooting section. Anyway...

I think you duplicated some existing information which were only to be edited Fuz. It's for the "Sky Flickering" problem.

* I have finally figured out now what was the cause for the spawning glitch at the stadiums. smile.gif

Note: Hmm... Invisible water and F1-Replay ghostworld glitches at the Stadiums: *Nah*, I am just keeping this as a reference just in case I don't forget! moto_whistle.gif

PC bugfixes:
After intensive searching around the GTAForums' thread deatabase, I found the solution to the Helicopter freezing problem. I will soon post the source.

Problem #29:
After I had bought the Hyman condo, the helicopter on the upper floor freezes the game. This also applies for the VCN maverick news chopper. A friend of mine tried this as well on the PS2 version, and the engine didn't sound and there were no animations for the door, but more of a rapidly-shaking screen and a never-ending vibrating controller.

Solution: None. This is probably due to mods, trainer, and cheatcode usage. Start a new game and try buying the condo again.

Alternatively: There are at times when the garage door opens up when you fly near to it (like in Sunshine Autos), and if it happens to be corrupted, the game freezes. You need to fly somewhere else away from the garage. A solution to this problem was already posted having to do with downloading LithJoe's trainer and removing the vehicle(s) at fault by using the "Garage Editior".

Alternatively: Don't buy the Hyman condo too early in the game, especially if there's a trick to get money easily.

Advice: Don't fly helicopters when you haven't passed the Phnom Penh '86 mission and the roadblocks aren't removed as yet, especially the helicopter on top of the VCN building or the one above Hyman condo. Also, don't input in any car-related cheats that ain't for use wth a helicopter.

Problem #30:
I experience bugs when I try to reverse or decelerate a vehicle, what could I be doing wrong? Also, the max speed for cars is less and the boats go really slow! And the cars that I see on the roads are not usually "sliding" as they used to. Another thing too is that some planes such as the seaplane behind the Film Studio's building refuses to take off. Post / Post #2

Solution: What you are doing wrong is not turning on the frame limiter. Main Menu -> Display Setup -> Frame Limiter. The input devices and the game itself simply cannot keep up with your graphics card's rendering speed.

Problem #31:
Well, I have just installed Vice City and the screen is wrong. The screen is too big that I can't see the whole thing. Even the HUDs are all messed up! Source

Solution: Try the auto-adjustment feature on your monitor. Also, make sure the correct supported resolution is set up in Windows' Display Properties as well as in Vice City's Display Setup before launching the game.

Problem #32:
The sirens do not work at all. The horn works and I try tapping the horn to activate the siren but it does not work. Therefore I am unable to complete the Mr. Whoopee ice cream truck mission because I cannot activate the ice cream tune! Source

Solution: Turn on the frame limiter, and remember to tap the horn key quickly.

Alternatively: Delete the [.set] file, turn on/off compatibility mode, or restore the controls back to the defaults -> only if you weren't able to use the horn initially at all.

Alternatively: Try a different key assignment; it could be that your "horn" key is broken.

Problem #33:
I recently installed Vice City, everything works perfect. BUT, if I am inside a car, I don't here the usual gas sounds and engine sounds that I am supposed to here for it -> I can only hear the other cars on the streets. This is really weird, so please help me out! I am using Windows Vista. Source

Solution: Especially for onboard solutions like Realtek or the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy/X-Fi series, make sure to update your drivers to the latest as stated a million times before!

Alternatively: Turn on frame limiter, and try out compatibility mode.

Alternatively: Restart Vice City, or Alt-tab back out and in.

Advice: Don't end up downloading a Windows XP driver when you know that you are using Windows Vista (or vice versa). Be sure to as well update the right drivers for your current product model.

Problem #14:
After the mission Two Bit Hit for Avery, the Cuban outfit icon is visible in the little store in Little Havana, but is unreachable - there is an invisible wall blocking access to it.

Physical Solution: For the PC version of the game, go into Jetpack mode using LithJoe's trainer towards the clothes icon and disable it once you touch it.

Physical Solution: For cheat devices such as GC/AR/CB, do the "Walk through Walls" cheat. This solution is assuming you have these devices.

Physical Solution: Get into any vehicle and place it towards the clothes icon. Type in the "Faster Gameplay" code twice. Now run alongside the wheels of the car's/bike's front so that you touch the wall simulataneously. You should fall through the map, but change clothes automatically. s00pcan & VCM80

PS2 bugfixes:

Problem #14:
Why aren't the pool doors open when I try to do the "Rub Out" Diaz mission? It is stopping me from completing the mission! Source

Solution: This happens rarely depending on what you do throughout playing Vice City. A simple solution would be to pilot a helicopter and bring it up onto the top floor of the mansion where another entrance lies. Note that Lance doesn't have to follow you as he eventually spawns next to you (doesn't have to). After you have went inside successfully, kill the guards and kill off Diaz.

Alternatively: Do the "Walk through Walls" trick. Once you do, you are able to kill Diaz without getting hurt. BUT not so fast! -> after you have killed him, you must hunt down in this unloaded mansion the EXACT area used to trigger the intermission sequence that you were supposed to go through and had missed earlier before (the upper floor opposite to Diaz).

Advice: Avoid using cheatcodes in the future.

I am simply posting the easiest of solution on how to solve each problem. Not the other alternatives I know about, which are the hardest for the "non-glitchers" to accomplish.

Problem #15:
I want to be able to see the HUDs and how much cash I got, but the thing is that my picture tube is broken on the top part of the screen. I am not planning to buy a new TV and video capture/tuner card anytime soon, or use my computer's monitor screen. Any ideas?

Solution: Adjust the horizontal/vertical screen positions by going into the 'Display' menu, after pressing the Start (Pause) button.

Yep, I am ready for these list of bugs to be posted! Let me see if there are any more. rolleyes.gif

I've included sources! rah.gif

*sigh*
  • *sigh*

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

I think I may have found a fix for

Problem #23:
Bugs occur when accelerating a vehicle - the car scrapes on the ground and is not steady. The problem may only arise periodically.

Solution: Exit Vice City fully, and load up your game again.

Alternatively: Direct Tommy to an area not nearby any cars or traffic. Now press the Windows key and resume gameplay. Once you enter a vehicle, the bug shouldn't appear. Save your game after doing this.

Alternatively: Load up a save file that doesn't have this bug or simply start a new game, and then load up the one that has it. If still no luck, keep exiting and loading your save file until the acceleration bug goes away. Remember to save when this bug is cured.

Advice: Although this may not seem to be the natural cause, but don't leave Vice City running in the taskbar for too long. Also, don't do things like pressing the Windows key while you are driving in front of other cars that too have engines.

In an instance when the problem doesn't exist (like after a fresh install at the beginning of the game), exit the game after you've confirmed that the cars are behaving normally, and set both "handling.cfg" and "default.ide" to "read only" (you may or may not need to set "default.ide" to read only, but I'd go ahead and do it anyway since it can't hurt). Once I did this, I never have encountered the problem again. I think the root of the bug is that something is happening in vice city that's causing strange values to be written to the handling file, and then the suggested solutions (loading a save that doesn't have the problem, etc.) are causing the normal values to be re-written, making it work properly. Setting it to read only should keep it from being changed to the weird values.

That's the conclusion I've come up with, but I have but a small grasp on what I'm talking about, so I may be really wrong.

Of course, we'll need to have other people with this problem test the solution, but it seems to be working fine for me.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

Updated.

Thanks all.

james_root
  • james_root

Gaming Since Forever

• Members

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

this is the first time i see this. you did a great job fuzzy ! smile.gif i wish i would read this 2 years ago biggrin.gif

grahamdodds9
  • grahamdodds9

Texture modder and graphic modder

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

For the problem on PS2, when the helicopter catches fire, then explode then the game freezes,
you could be using the flying car cheat code, or maybe any other flying codes.

Xyphy
  • Xyphy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

Problem #28:
Sirens on applicable vehicles do not work.

Solution: Tap the horn key. Tap it. As quickly as possible. This is a serial problem across all consoles, and can always be attributed to the unsuspecting gamer simply not tapping the horn key fast enough.

Alt Solution: If Limit Frames is on then turn it off. Then try to start the Siren. Makes it doable. My guess is that the timing for turning on the siren is tied into the framerate.

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:44 PM Edited by gtamodder, 24 January 2008 - 10:57 AM.

Problem #11:
Vice City will not run after installation - instead, when clicking the icon to start, the Play CD spins and the pointer icon turns into a spinning-CD symbol, but the game never starts (and the pointer may not go back to normal until restarting Windows).

I have another solution, try deleting the [.set] file located In My Documents\GTA Vice City User Files.

Also i find that this usually happens when you change hardware,

Ceno
  • Ceno

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:33 AM

Problem #17
Sounds echo when playing Vice City. This often occurs with all sounds except for the radio.

Solution: Update your sound drivers! Yes, this is stated in the above introduction, but is particularly relevant with this problem.

Alternatively: Set the compatibility mode of the executable file to 'Windows 98'. Do so by: right-clicking gta-vc.exe (default: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe) -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', and select 'Windows 98 / Windows Me' from the drop-down menu. Apply, OK. And as pictures speak a thousand words, click here.

Alternatively: Change your hardware sound acceleration to a different setting. This is achieved through: Start -> Run -> dxdiag, clicking the Sound tab and moving the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level slider to a different position; or by going to Advanced Speaker Settings through Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices.

Alternatively: Through Control Panel, disable any volumetric or advanced audio effects that may be enabled in your sound configuration (e.g. environmental audio).

Alternatively: For onboard soundcards: Change the speaker configuration in Sound Manager from "Living Room" to "None" (or equivalent); or for Realtek cards, go Control Panel -> Sound Effect Manager -> 3D Audio Demo, and change the Sound from "Loopy Music" to "Buzzing Bee".

See this thread for more information regarding onboard and Realtek sound cards.

I have a realtek ac 97' on board sound and I've tried every one of these fixes and still can't get rid of the echo problem. The only one I was unable to try was the loopy music to buzzing bee thing as I do not have any 3d audio demo tab in my sound effect manager within the realtek sound properties. I've downloaded the latest sound drivers. (WDM_A404). I'm not sure what else do to. The echo thing is really annoying to the point that it interferes with the enjoyment of the game. If anyone can link me a set of drivers for the ac97 that contain this 3D Audio Demo part or can suggest other things to try that would fix the echo problem I would be greatly appreciated.

crazymodder
  • crazymodder

Do Ya Thang

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

Problem #29:
I am getting a cyclic redundancy error during installation.

Solution: None. When that happens... your disc is either dirty, scratched, or damaged. You might need to buy a new one or clean the disc.

another or alternative way to fix this problem.

Problem:
I am getting a cyclic redundancy error or other errors during installation.

Description:
The file inside the CD is corrupted. You need to alternatively install the game.

How to alternatively install the game?
Choose between Ultra ISO or Power ISO. Insert you GTA Vice City CD1 and then make a CD image of it. After its completed, (If you want full installation, you need to tick the GTA Vice City Radio Station box.) mount the CD1 and then run the installation. During installation, windows will pop up a CRC32 error. Ignore that. Click 'Ignore' and continue your installation. Your installation of the game is completed and try play the game. If there are early crashes within the game, try changing the compatibility. If its still crashing, I have no ideas. You need to buy a new CD.

hawkeyefile
  • hawkeyefile

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

My problem is unique most likely, however randomly the game won't load the next map (like when exiting out of the safe house), it'll have the area name in the lower right hand corner and the game will freeze on a black screen, when I had task manger loaded it said not responding.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:46 AM

Can someone help me?
When I load a save game, I get a black screen.
It just goes pure black.
I heard of the "Black screen of death"
I don't mod.
After about a half hour It finally opens.
Can someone help me?

My requirements are.............

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)(Upgrading to SP3)

Processor: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2 GB RAM

DirectX 9.0c

Sound card: Sound Max Digital Audio

Do you know any other ways to fix my problem?

zeldafan123
  • zeldafan123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

ok one other problem is that when you do the demolishion man mission on pc and u try to go to the top fun van and u get in it explains the rules and then the helicopter spawns upside down and u cant turn it around and it sucks because there is no skip lvl cheat for vice city on pc can u plz help just pm me or something rampage_ani.gif

Diablow
  • Diablow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (kamuran @ Feb 20 2009, 04:46)
Can someone help me?
When I load a save game, I get a black screen.
It just goes pure black.
I heard of the "Black screen of death"
I don't mod.
After about a half hour It finally opens.
Can someone help me?

My requirements are.............

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)(Upgrading to SP3)

Processor: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2 GB RAM

DirectX 9.0c

Sound card: Sound Max Digital Audio

Do you know any other ways to fix my problem?

Got the same problem on Win7 Ult x64.

I got a older save after the tookout of Diaz which loads perfectly.

My current 2 saves get me a blackscreen and minutes of waiting.after 20 tries it works after a couple of seconds.

also occurs after mission movies when tommy spawns or in the cuban mission when rico drops tommy off the boat.

psx123
  • psx123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

unhandled exception occurs when running gta vice city

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

This thread is NOT for asking for help with problems... only for known fixes for existing problems.

Please check the pinned thread read this before posting a help thread--- it lists the required GENERAL info needed to assess your problem... will save helpers from having to ask basic questions before getting to the meat of your problem...

Besides the problem you should be listing OS, memory, history (did game work before), mods installed if applicable, etc....

Once again.. do NOT post it in this thread

Thanks...

amitsinghmiet
  • amitsinghmiet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

I had problem 15 and I must thank Justin that the solution was spot on. Perfect

Dipto
  • Dipto

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (Cyc2u @ Wednesday, Apr 4 2007, 03:21)
Problem #5
Not all my weapons are spawning at the Hyman Condo. This problem is only on PS2 (as far as I know).

I had some money,then i bought hyman 'n face the problem.Only armor was aviable,bcaz i had only 18 p.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users