Photo

Spyware Questions

5 replies to this topic
Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

Well, I have never had a problem with spyware, or malware or whatever name is given to it. I've heard some where, that it takes an average of 5 minutes for an unprotected pc, connected to the internet, to be infected. Or is it 10 minutes, I'm not sure.

Well, I had to format and reinstall windows, due to a host of reasons. Well, first thing I did was install my graphics drivers. I had to restart, so I restarted. And I am now infected with spyware. Alexa crap or whatever it is. (During the graphics driver install, I wasn't accessing the internet, but was connected.)

I think I've sucessfully removed most of it. Removed the entries from start up. Ran spybot and adaware. Is there any other programs I can run to double check this?

I'm pretty pissed off at this, being infected for the first time in ages, and on a fresh windows install. It's pretty ridiculous.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

Some run off of a simple program check your control panel then add/remove you should know what belongs there and what does not. Then check your system32 cashe folder some of the contold hide here and this is why spybot can't remove them as system32 is a safeguarded area. You won't be able to just delete them out of the folder you have to first try to drag them out in a "new folder" then delete them. If you have errors moving or deleting them you can also go into safe mode and get rid of them.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

If it was just the alexa toolbar that your spyware scanner found don't worry, my PC came with it in IE, and it's not really very bad, I'm pretty sure Alexa is owned by amazon.com, and the toolbar is not malicious it just collects general data on surfing habits, I'm sure someone'll come and correct me in a minute though and tell me how bad it is...

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:00 PM

No Trevor actually you are quite right (audiance claps) It's only a minor disturbance No immediate threat, may profile users, but has specific privacy policies in place.
Not so dangerous, fairly easy to remove, using standard "Add/Remove Programs" function

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (xox_vanzant_xox @ Apr 18 2005, 21:00)
No Trevor actually you are quite right (audiance claps) It's only a minor disturbance No immediate threat, may profile users, but has specific privacy policies in place.
Not so dangerous, fairly easy to remove, using standard "Add/Remove Programs" function

yay! I got something right tounge.gif ... If you use add/remove programs to remove the Alexa toolbar, then you are left with no "related:" search in IE, if however you use Spybot to remove it, then it replaces it with a google search for related websites...

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

Well, it wasn't just Alexa tool bar. It was alot more then that, one file has had to be removed via dos. (hwclock.exe), I've had numerous trips into safemode. It is really annoying me. I don't know how the hell I become infected after a clean install.

But I'm pretty sure theres alot more crap where that came from..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users