Photo

Capture Card

8 replies to this topic
Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:19 AM

I want to buy a capture card, so I can capture screenshots from the PS2.
Which one on this list would work for that kind of thing.
I'm thinking of getting the one circled, if I got that one I could just buy an S-Video, cable to play PS2 on.
Also I have a Intel Celeron Processor 500 mhz 66mhzFSB, 312 mb SD Ram, NVidia Riva TNT2 64 mb video memory and I'm running on Windows ME, do I need to upgrade my computer?

user posted image

Thanks smile.gif

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:47 AM

Well DSE is a kind of generic brand meaning its not of the best quality, I am sure the one circled would work but dunno how good a quality etc.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (simoncampbell @ Apr 17 2005, 23:19)
Also I have a Intel Celeron Processor 500 mhz 66mhzFSB, 312 mb SD Ram, NVidia Riva TNT2 64 mb video memory and I'm running on Windows ME, do I need to upgrade my computer?

Using that card then yes you would need to upgrade your computer. Reason being that the card you have circled does not encode video. Instead it requires the whole machine to do the job, and with those specs you wouldn't be able to handle a video of any decent quality.
If you would pay a little more you could get a card that does encode on it's own. Hauppauge PVR250 seems to be a popular pick, but at $140 it's a little bit more than the card you're looking at now.
Also, it should be noted that ME sucks and should not be used on a computer. Instead it should be place in an oven and cooked at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

One more thing. You won't want to play ps2 through your computer, on to your tv. The quality, no matter what card you get, is going to decrease alot and it'll end up sucking to look at. I'd suggest only connecting the ps2 to your computer when you want to do nothing but record video.

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, Windows ME sucks, I wonder if it really is edible smile.gif , I was looking at PCTV Pinnacle cards, they are about $140 NZD and I have seen many recommendations about them. I'm running my PS2 through a VCR on a pretty old CRT TV, and it's quality sucks.
I'm hoping to get a new PC later this year, it'll hopefully have pretty high specs, as the prices are going down smile.gif .
Do you know any good RGB ones, or are RGB's a no-no:)

fido2
  • fido2

DDAM

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:57 AM

Or have it split up to the tv and the pc.

It might not lag too much on that pc, depending on what sort of condition the os is in terms of spyware and the like. It wouldnt matter at all if you split up the signal to the tv and the pc, you could play on the tv and hit the capture button whenever you needed to take a shot.

The capture devices connected via usb dont do too well on old machines, though thats unrelated to this really.

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

I couldn't find a Hauppauge PVR250 on a NZ store, but I could find one for Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 is that any good?
It comes with Ulead® DVD MovieFactory™, does that edit the movies I have recorded? smile.gif

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

It's a good card but it has the same problem as the one you were looking at. The video encoding is not done on the card it's self so you would need a stronger system to have it work well.
And, yes ulead will allow you to edit video. But just about every tv tuner card, hell even video card, I've ever gotten has been packaged with a version of ulead

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (simoncampbell @ Apr 18 2005, 04:05)
I couldn't find a Hauppauge PVR250 on a NZ store, but I could find one for Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 is that any good?
It comes with Ulead® DVD MovieFactory™, does that edit the movies I have recorded? smile.gif

The PVR-150 is excellent. To my understanding, it is basically a newer PVR-250, and has basically the same capabilites, but uses only one brand encoding/decoding chip, as opposed to two different ones on the 250. That is most likely wrong however.

Both are excellent cards and will work fine for you. With a 500mhz celeron, and any system to minimize lag, you will need some kind of card that has hardware encoding, like either of these. ATI cards, or the one you showed, require lots of processor use to encode the video, and these don't.

EDIT: Ulead will edit, but not horribly well. Also, it is wickedly processor intensive. Don't count on it being good or usable.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:14 PM

@bond: could you be mistaking the pvr-150 for the pvr-350? I'm pretty sure that the 350 does what you're mentioning but not the 150.
I might be wrong though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users