Photo

Internet Problem

13 replies to this topic
n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

Alright, well it was tough getting this far on my browser, but the problem is when i try to go to any basic website, for example gtaforums.com, it will redirect to Google English, the url doesnt change, but the window does, and then it gets stuck for the most part at that site, and i hit go about 20 times and it will finally go, if not at all. Then say i get to a homepage of a site, it will think that for example gtaforums.com again, it will think that it is at google english, at it will come up with google english and say, cant find this on the server, for example this "index.php?act=Post&CODE=00&f=73" for some reason it thinks i'm on google english and trying to do something on there that isnt there, it does it pretty randomly, sometimes worse than other times....but its really beginning to piss me off, since i can't go too many sites without it screwing up bad, i at first thought it was IE, so than i got fire fox, and it is still doing the same thing on here, i have a feeling its some sort of spyware, i have webroot, but it can't find it. I first had this problem about a year ago, then it dissapeared, no idea why, but now it recently came back, and it seems to be worse than ever. Norton can't find anything on it either. So anyone here heard about this....and if so, anyway to get rid of it?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hmm... so it's not the browser.

I cannot pin point the exact problem, but I can tell you what is wrong.

Your browser is given the wrong file each time. Instead of getting for instance the index.php ( in HTML code ) back, it gets google.com's HTML code instead.

Both browsers seem to work fine ( however, IE might have been the source of the problem, since it does a lot much spyware to infect your computer ).

It seems that when the browsers sends a message out to internet requesting the site ( e.g. gtaforums.com ), either something is manipulating with this message ( either virus or spyware ), so your browser gets google.com back.

But where it becomes uncertain for me is with either it is when your browser sends the messages or when it's received the virus/spyware gets in.

Also, I am not quite sure how to fix it.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:59 PM

Try turning off some toolbars? Maybe its a browser hijack...download Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE and Spybot: Search and Destroy, update and do full system scans.

n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

i've also noticed, that when i try to update certain programs through the internet....going through the program....it cant find the web adress, so it even screws up there, and i'll try that lavasoft thing.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

Try Firefox as well, that should work fine for ya.

n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

fire fox is suprisingly worse than ie, in ie atleast if i click a link a million times it will finally work, in ff, it wont do that, it just wont go to the website....

Harlem
  • Harlem

The Renegades

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Knightmare @ Apr 17 2005, 18:13)
Try Firefox as well, that should work fine for ya.

so than i got fire fox, and it is still doing the same thing on here, i have a feeling its some sort of spyware,

Have you thought about reformatting your computer?

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

have a look in your hosts file, see if there is anything strange in there...

also, don't just use webroot to scan for spyware, get MS Antispyware, Spybot S&D and Ad-aware SE, as unlike virus scanners, you can have as many spyware scanners as you want, and you are more likely to find something if you have more than one scanner.

jersiq
  • jersiq

Division By Zero

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:27 PM

Also take a look at your DNS servers. If you are in America and have Comcast......good luck as I have heard they have had some serious DNS problems lately. Search the 'net for a different dns server IP, plug it in and see if the problem clears.

n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:52 PM Edited by N2gether69, 18 April 2005 - 02:14 AM.

i dont have comcast...aol....it sucks, but all i can get is dial up, and i have tried a few spyware programs so far....none have fixed this problem yet, i'm going to keep trying on some more of these programs. I just hope it'll go away again like it did last time, i really dont get how it just dissapeared like that last time i got it.

edit: interesting....it only messes up when i'm on a proxy....what a crappy proxy....works perfectly fine when i'm directly connected.

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:29 AM

Have you tried clearing your temporary files, history etc.
That always causes problems for me smile.gif

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (N2gether69 @ Apr 17 2005, 17:52)
i dont have comcast...aol....it sucks, but all i can get is dial up, and i have tried a few spyware programs so far....none have fixed this problem yet, i'm going to keep trying on some more of these programs. I just hope it'll go away again like it did last time, i really dont get how it just dissapeared like that last time i got it.

edit: interesting....it only messes up when i'm on a proxy....what a crappy proxy....works perfectly fine when i'm directly connected.

Good job saying you were on a proxy in the first place...

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:37 PM

I had this problem with a piece-of-sh*t proxy server I was running on my gateway. What set it off was any loopback connection through itself. If I tried to access files on my Apache server through the proxy, ALL file requests would go to the Apache server, instead of to my ISP. Really f*cking retarded.

If at all possible, connect directly to the Internet.

n2gether
  • n2gether

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Knightmare @ Apr 18 2005, 08:49)
QUOTE (N2gether69 @ Apr 17 2005, 17:52)

Good job saying you were on a proxy in the first place...

yea i'm a retard, completely forgot to mention that part, but right now i'm back on the proxy and its working perfect....so for some reason when i direct connected it fixed itself, what a weird problem...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users