Photo

Layer Cake

12 replies to this topic
Hexhamlad
  • Hexhamlad

~Owner of Gta-trivia~

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

I have just finished watching this film for the first time today, and i feel the urge to write about it. i think that in itself show how good the film is in my eyes but i will go on to explain to you all my feelings and hopefully get some good feedback on your opinions on the film.

For me it is a urban tale in the same mould as Lock Stoc and Snatch but with one huge diffrence, it breaks that mould in two and form a complete new class of movie. It has a storyline that dwarfs the the two i have already mentioned, i will now try and move away from the comparsion to these films because to be fair it deserves better.

At first i thought the main Character wasn't the strongest but really he is just a quiet man who lets his thought do the talking. The narrator style of he film was excellent and adds a whole new dimension to the films feel. Its more of an experience than a film and when you have finished seeing it you are still thinking about some of the issues in the film.

The ending in my eyes was excellent i will not compare it to another because by doing this i will give away the best part of the film, but lets put it this way it was a unexpected twist that leaves you feeling sad / shocked / amazed and thoughtful.

Okay i will stop rambling about this show because im guessing most of you wont feel as strongly as i do but to put it into pespective i would rate it along side some great films such as Carlitto's way and Scarface. Not meaning it is similar just that it is a portral of the drug industry at its most deadly and realistic.

I would be happy to talk more about this film and am intrigued by what your comments and responseswill be too it. Also i have wrote reviews in the section above but felt this films deserves particular praise.

Hex

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:33 PM

"Don't piss in my pocket & tell me it's rain."

Great little English film. With a great plot & great acting. Daniel Craig was a superb X character & I thought it helped the film along not knowing his name as it allowed you to get to know the other characters more.

RoAcHcliP
  • RoAcHcliP

bong system

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

I quite liked it, but i prefer Lock Stock over them all. The ending was quite a surprise. lol.gif

Hexhamlad
  • Hexhamlad

~Owner of Gta-trivia~

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

Great little English film. With a great plot & great acting. Daniel Craig was a superb X character & I thought it helped the film along not knowing his name as it allowed you to get to know the other characters more.

Yeah i agree like the duke he was sheer class, a pure dell boy of the drug world. i just thought the little things made it good like the yellow landrover because there is probably a drug dealer in england now with one of those.

And when mr.X was waiting for Dragan and his sniper was shot just brilliant the way it was set out. In fact im gonna watch it again tonight just because i always enjoy films more the second time i watch them.

Hex

C Bear
  • C Bear

Ask me about my special purpose.

• The Precinct

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:31 AM

Yes, it was a very good movie. Unfortunately it's one that definately bound to be overrated by retarded teenagers everywhere, just because it's "cool". (omg liek best movie evar!) Oh well... Good movie nonetheless.

bigbilly123
  • bigbilly123

If your reading this then you are gay

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:05 PM

the main character is going to be the new james bond, personally i think he is too skinny and small and he dosnt look hard enough

Jigga
  • Jigga

Abgoosht For Life

• The Precinct

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:10 PM

Welcome to they layer cake, son.

Loved it. Would watch it again if I had the time to catch all the smaller things I didn't catch the first time.

Wolfwood
  • Wolfwood

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

Ah, you can throw stones at me later, but I have not seen it. But, I have really wanted to, for it looked amazing, it is British and it seems like the style of film I am in to, I will shortly be getting the Special Edition soon, and from what everything you guys have said and from what I have read, I can't wait.

Hexhamlad
  • Hexhamlad

~Owner of Gta-trivia~

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:50 PM Edited by Hexhamlad, 17 April 2005 - 02:55 PM.

Yes, it was a very good movie. Unfortunately it's one that definately bound to be overrated by retarded teenagers everywhere, just because it's "cool". (omg liek best movie evar!) Oh well... Good movie nonetheless.

well i'm not in that group so its cool, i still rate it very highly though.

Ah, you can throw stones at me later, but I have not seen it. But, I have really wanted to, for it looked amazing, it is British and it seems like the style of film I am in to, I will shortly be getting the Special Edition soon, and from what everything you guys have said and from what I have read, I can't wait.

i was egsactly the same i waited for along time an when i seen it eventually i was not dissapointed. As i havew mentioned before it has a flair to it similar to other british films but takes a more serious approach to the whole story line.

Edit- i've just looked about for some info on Daniel Craig being the next James Bond its not official but as good as you can get. so here you go.

British actor Daniel Craig is new James Bond

April 06, 2005 20:22 IST

Producers of the hugely successful James Bond film franchise have chosen British actor Daniel Craig to take over the role of the suave spy.

The 37-year-old has been offered a three-film deal by Bond producer Barbara Broccoli and is expected to sign up formally in the next few weeks, the Sun newspaper reported.

Craig, a tough-looking actor who has made appearances in art-house titles and blockbusters such as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, beat fellow Briton Clive Owen for the role.

Craig would be the sixth Bond in the official series of films based on the novels by Ian Fleming, following Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and most recent incumbent Pierce Brosnan.

According to the Sun, Owen -- nominated for an Oscar this year for Closer -- had told casting agents he did not want the job, although Broccoli was already favouring Craig. While Craig remains relatively unknown outside Britain, he is well respected as an actor and also has the necessary reputation for being something of a Bond-esque ladies man, having recently dated supermodel Kate Moss.

Citing an unnamed 'movie source,' the Sun said staff working at Eon Productions, which makes the Bond movies, had been told Craig would star in the next films.

Hex

ISd3d
  • ISd3d

My Brain Hurts

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

Read about this is Maxim today and I'm definitly thinking about checking it out. I love Lock Stock and Snatch, two of my favorite movies ever so I'm hoping this is as good. But is this in theatres or out on DVD? Didn't say in the magazine.

Hexhamlad
  • Hexhamlad

~Owner of Gta-trivia~

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

its out on dvd, and its not the same as snatch and lock tock its alot more serious, But i think its better i knew snatch word for word when it first came out i loved it that much but layer cake is bigger and better. unmissable.

Hex

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

Just watched it again:

"Awww you give a asprin a f*cking headache mate!"

&

"f*cking females is for poofs."

Class film.

Hexhamlad
  • Hexhamlad

~Owner of Gta-trivia~

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:08 PM

yeah its top draw,

after the asprin line

"you wouldnt be so smug if you didnt have him"

"yeah well he has, so f*ck off"

"ive got a good one for ya, irishman catches his wife snorting a line of coke , he say if i catch you doing that again ill rub ya f*cking nose in it"

brillant film

Hex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users