Photo

That's why they call me Slim Shady

29 replies to this topic
Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:04 AM

Approximately none of you will remember me, but I posted a bit back-in-the-day before mysteriously vanishing. Well, I'm back. Sorta. Still probably won't post much, but just wanted to pop in and get the opinion of some more experienced graphics people on my stuff.

To start, here's a vector I did a few days ago, first time I've done a person. Before it gets mentioned, I know the hair is crappy, but otherwise I'm fairly happy with it:
user posted image

Next up is something I did just for fun, has no significance or meaning, not supposed to wow you or anything, I was just bored at the time:
user posted image

This piece I'm actually quite fond of, despite it's incredible whore-itude. I really had no inspiration for it, just opened up Photoshop and started doing whatever came to mind:
user posted image

Next up is something that I finished just a few minutes ago, actually. Again, boredom struck, and Photoshop was near. Inspired by Atreyu:
user posted image

That's pretty much it for the actual pieces I'm willing to show off, but I do have another thing I wanted to post. I went through a sort of digital-graffiti phase, made a ton of little tags in Illustrator. Here's a few of my favorites:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Hm, just noticed something I'd forgotten:
user posted image

Album art made for a friend.

So, yeah, I know I'm not the best evar, and I know there's plenty of people better than me here, so I just wanted to drop by and get some opinons. Thanks.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:10 AM

Indeed, I remember you. Mr. I like Arrows. tounge.gif

You have a unique way of making art, and I like all of this stuff you are presenting. Nice work.

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:13 AM

Why thankee. And I still defend my arrowisms, I swear I only used them in a couple pictures tounge.gif

Surpress
  • Surpress

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:37 AM

First one; For a minute i thought that was fido. I don't really like the shape. The smoothness around the face etc is not to my liking.

Second one; Very nice, good colour combination and quite imaginitive. Very good.

Third one; I see arrows... sigh.gif well anyway, i kinda like the idea of how, over it is the earth and ground etc, and then under the border line it's like something underwater. (That's the idea... right?) Anyway, very nice, though you could make the bototm part cyanish greenish to make it blend in more. And lose some of the arrows. There's abit too many.

Fourth one; Brilliant, i like how one side is grunge and the other is retro. Very good indeed. smile.gif

The last one; Kinda plain, but nice graffitti font.

Did you make the graphic or did you use a font? May i ask which one? smile.gif

Pumpkin Zone
  • Pumpkin Zone

Humans are such easy prey.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Unknown

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:56 AM

Wow! You're graphics are very nice. They are very pleasing to me.

1.) Very nice, a tad too clean, but it gives the chick life.

2.) Looks like a sudo-3D sidescroller game, very nice.

3.) Now this is my favorite, the way that you make it sort of like.. a dark and light world and how the two men are fighting on the wall like thing. I really like this one, very awesome.

4.) This one is very good too, sort of random, but comes out very nice.

5.) All your sigs are beautiful, I've been looking for someone who could do grafitti or even a grafitti font but I had no luck.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:04 AM

Very nice work.
I really like the "digital-graffiti".
Could I bribe you to do one for me? wink.gif

Octember
  • Octember

propaganda inc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

ah, i see you've started on the alpha omega thing me, you, and pyro are doing.. rolleyes.gif

1: not liking the eye outlines, nor the hair.
2: the cloud and sun ruin it.. try changing the colors, otherwise.. cool.
3: lovin' those buildings on the bottom... though, not liking the scanlines, or colors.. the top is.. blech.
4: unique, like i said above.. the right side is cool, left ruins it.
5: that digital graffiti is damn awesome.. i tried it once, may try it again.

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (Surpress @ Apr 16 2005, 01:37)

Drawn in Illustrator.

QUOTE ("Octember")
ah, i see you've started on the alpha omega thing me, you, and pyro are doing.. rolleyes.gif

Heh, I made that a long time ago, so no, still haven't started on that thing tounge.gif

Thanks for the comments.

MnE
  • MnE

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:07 AM

very nice...i like the graffiti one..

Scharkey
  • Scharkey

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:28 AM

Hey, I remember you off of GTAWH Forums hehe. By the way, are you using Adobe Photoshop and some brushes to make that stuff/just plain drawing?

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:47 AM

What stuff are you talking about exactly? In the pink one I used a couple of downloaded grunge brushes, and I used a paint splat brush from AngryBlue at the very bottom of the greenish one, other than that it was all brushes that come with Photoshop or me drawing (drew all the graffiti logos, used the pen tool in Photoshop for the other stuff).

Octember
  • Octember

propaganda inc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (Blakout420 @ Apr 15 2005, 19:56)
QUOTE (Surpress @ Apr 16 2005, 01:37)

Drawn in Illustrator.

QUOTE ("Octember")

Heh, I made that a long time ago, so no, still haven't started on that thing tounge.gif

Thanks for the comments.

lucky.

i'm the f*ckin coder.. pain in the ass.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:32 AM

Interesting. It's different. I know you used Adobe Illustrator, what other programs? Or is that it?

Scharkey
  • Scharkey

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (Blakout420 @ Apr 16 2005, 03:47)
What stuff are you talking about exactly? In the pink one I used a couple of downloaded grunge brushes, and I used a paint splat brush from AngryBlue at the very bottom of the greenish one, other than that it was all brushes that come with Photoshop or me drawing (drew all the graffiti logos, used the pen tool in Photoshop for the other stuff).

Yeah, that's what I mean't. I really like the orange photo the most, I remember one of your arts at GTAWH that had planes on it. That one is my favorite amonst your creations. Fun graffiting in Adobe too, I should start doing that again. But, you're really good at it.

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (Scharkey @ Apr 16 2005, 04:36)

Yeah, that's what I mean't. I really like the orange photo the most, I remember one of your arts at GTAWH that had planes on it. That one is my favorite amonst your creations. Fun graffiting in Adobe too, I should start doing that again. But, you're really good at it.

Oh right, forgot about that one, thanks for reminding me.

user posted image

Jamie O'Dea
  • Jamie O'Dea

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

It's freaking awesome - I love it! Variation and a unique sense of style - now that's how it's done! Bravo! colgate.gif

Octember
  • Octember

propaganda inc

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Blakout420 @ Apr 15 2005, 21:42)
QUOTE (Scharkey @ Apr 16 2005, 04:36)

Oh right, forgot about that one, thanks for reminding me.

user posted image

damn man.. we really need to get aeronautica up and running..

Toro.
  • Toro.

Traded for dollar bills.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

its all so-so. Not bad, but definitly not good either. And please dont claim that you drew the pre-made vectors that you used in your pictures. They are taken from photoshop dozingoff.gif

Mm you choose some nice colours but the aeronautica just looks like a half-assed copy of something oct would do in his shibby days.

Scharkey
  • Scharkey

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:20 PM

Well, they're not too hard to do what he did, but it's very good. He makes everything look so nice in his work, it doesn't matter if it has to be super crazy in graphics. Simple art is very nice. I agree, I've seen 'harder' projects but his I like.

Harlem
  • Harlem

The Renegades

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

Nice stuff! Would you make me a signature that says "Harlem" and looks a lot like this:

user posted image

I'd appreciate it.

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Toro. @ Apr 16 2005, 18:05)
its all so-so. Not bad, but definitly not good either. And please dont claim that you drew the pre-made vectors that you used in your pictures. They are taken from photoshop dozingoff.gif

Mm you choose some nice colours but the aeronautica just looks like a half-assed copy of something oct would do in his shibby days.

Eh?

DiVaio
  • DiVaio

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

Very nice artwork. I like the concept you used in your work especially in the third one. You combined the colors very good.
You also did some nice tags, although I don't like al of them.

tagamaynila
  • tagamaynila

Bézier cultist

• The Connection

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:25 PM Edited by tagamaynila, 17 April 2005 - 02:34 PM.

The first one is just bad. You should've spent more time on vectoring it better before you showed to anyone. If you're decent at graphics, you shouldn't be happy with it.

I like the colors on the second one. I always did like warm colors with black but the design is boring. The only thing i liked about it the sun. I suggest you lay off a bit on the shape tool and start using the pen tool more. Same goes with the piece that have planes.

Green one is pretty good except for the arrows and the clouds.

The purple one with hearts is just there and the quote is cheesy.

I won't comment about the graffiti because i never really liked graffiti writing in the first place.

Oh, and by the way, "the plane owns you?" You might as well have added "n00b lol!!!111" at the end. C'mon, you don't need quotes for decent pieces, if you can't come up with good ones then just leave them out.

Toro.
  • Toro.

Traded for dollar bills.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Did you make the graphic or did you use a font? May i ask which one? 

Drawn in Illustrator.

My bad, mis-interpreted.

But yeah, lay off the shape tool, its not doin you many favours right now.

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (tagamaynila @ Apr 17 2005, 14:25)
The first one is just bad. You should've spent more time on vectoring it better before you showed to anyone. If you're decent at graphics, you shouldn't be happy with it.

I like the colors on the second one. I always did like warm colors with black but the design is boring. The only thing i liked about it the sun. I suggest you lay off a bit on the shape tool and start using the pen tool more. Same goes with the piece that have planes.

Green one is pretty good except for the arrows and the clouds.

The purple one with hearts is just there and the quote is cheesy.

I won't comment about the graffiti because i never really liked graffiti writing in the first place.

Oh, and by the way, "the plane owns you?" You might as well have added "n00b lol!!!111" at the end. C'mon, you don't need quotes for decent pieces, if you can't come up with good ones then just leave them out.

Thanks for the comments. Point taken about the first pic, never claimed to be a great vector artist, plus it was done after 1am on a week day, which contributed to its sucktitude.

About the whole custom shape tool thing, I can honestly tell you that I did not use it once during in the Blech and the Plane pics, and actually I can only spot one place in all the pics I posted where I did use it (the hearts in the crappy pink one). I did use the pen tool for the plane (then turned it into a brush) and the sun (just did one ray then copy 'n pasted the rest). I think I did the hills with it too, but I could've just used really big circle brushes, really don't remember.

And y'know, the more I look at the pink pic, the more I hate that quote, but I swear it sounded good at the time (or at least in the context of the song). *shrugs* Oh well, I'll just try to stop myself if I decide to use another sh*tty quote. Oh, and the pic with the plane was never meant to be taken seriously, the quote was sort of an unfunny joke. Meh.

Anyway, thanks for the critique.

One question for you and Toro though; what did you think I used the shape tool for? I'm gonna assume the plane because I just looked through the custom shapes and realized that there is a plane there that looks hellaciously like mine, but I swear I didn't even know there was a plane shape until just now. Would've made my life easier back when I made that >.< Well, maybe. Just pasted a custom-shape-tool plane over top of the main one in my Aeronautica pic, the proportions are a little screwy and it bugs me that the back fins don't line up on the pasted one. Dammit, now that piece looks really crappy and like a little kid custom-shape-sh*tted all over it. I can understand what you're saying if you thought I was just doing that, but I assure you that I did actually draw the plane with the pen tool (which isn't much of an accomplishment, it's a really simple shape, but it's still better than just pasting a custom shape).

Regardless, thanks for the comments.

Toro.
  • Toro.

Traded for dollar bills.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

Arrows, hearts, planes etc.

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:39 PM

Oh, right, forgot about the arrow. So then, arrow and heart are all I used the custom shape tool for.

metallica16
  • metallica16

metallica rules

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:29 AM

Slim shady is gay u wankster

Harlem
  • Harlem

The Renegades

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (metallica16 @ Apr 20 2005, 02:29)

You're going around calling a person a wanksta with a name that has Metallica in it? sigh.gif

Blakout420
  • Blakout420

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Harlem @ Apr 20 2005, 02:40)
QUOTE (metallica16 @ Apr 20 2005, 02:29)

You're going around calling a person a wanksta with a name that has Metallica in it? sigh.gif

Hehe, so much anger over a stupid thread title. For the record, I rarely listen to rap (In Flames>*), but the lyrics seemed to be an appropriate title. Also, so this post isn't completely useless, here's a sad attempt at a starscape for no apparent reason:
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users