Photo

Paint.NET

11 replies to this topic
crazydude
  • crazydude

Blah!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:04 AM

Any of you too poor to buy photoshop? And dont like using the gimp? So you are forced to use regular old microsoft paint?

I found this great program, its called Paint.NET Here

"Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows XP or 2000. Paint.NET is jointly developed at Washington State University with additional help from Microsoft, and is meant to be a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with all Windows operating systems. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with GDI+ extensions.

Paint.NET has many of the powerful features that expensive commercial applications have, including the ability to use layers. This is the second semester that Paint.NET has been a project at Washington State University, and we have the goal of adding as much functionality as expensive commercial applications provide, but of course, for free! In the spirit of all this freedom, we welcome any suggestions, as well as provide the source code free of charge for anyone who wishes to tinker with it. Please explore this website, download the software and try out many of the things you would do on those expensive commercial applications."

Note** you will need to have the .net framework 1.1 to be able to install/use this software.

If you are flat out sick of ms paint and dont have money for photoshop, I think that this is a great alternative. I havent had time to mess around with it much, but it seems to be pretty stable for a beta and has all the major features that are found in photoshop. Give it a try!

I hope that I am posting this in the right section, if not, could a moderator please move it to where they see fit?

crazy1stgamer2nd
  • crazy1stgamer2nd

Crazy and proud

• Members

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:15 AM

neato
psCS for me ;O

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:34 AM

That sounds good maybe I can get into pixeling, I hope they make a WindowsME version though. smile.gif

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

I really wanted this, but it requires Microsoft .NET Framework, which is 22mb and it's just not sensible to get it on dial-up, as it'll take hours, and I probably would stay connected for long enough - I get disconnected once every seven hours.

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:14 AM

.NET Frameworks took 2 hours for me to download off Windows Update, with security patches on my 56k modem.

red_porshe
  • red_porshe

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

Why dont you get someone to send it to you on a cd?

THat looks really good i might check it out.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

this is a really dumb question, but how do you change the size of the paintbrush in paint.net, I can't seem to find an option for it anywhere...

also, a bit of advice, if you've got an NTFS harddrive, and you download the setup file into an encrypted folder, for me at least, it would not install until the setup file was unencrypted... however, since it was free, I'm not complaining...

Sniper.
  • Sniper.

-

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

Wow, this is a really cool item crazy. Thanks.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (magical_trevor @ Apr 17 2005, 21:16)
this is a really dumb question, but how do you change the size of the paintbrush in paint.net, I can't seem to find an option for it anywhere...

also, a bit of advice, if you've got an NTFS harddrive, and you download the setup file into an encrypted folder, for me at least, it would not install until the setup file was unencrypted... however, since it was free, I'm not complaining...

don't worry, i found it.

crazydude
  • crazydude

Blah!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:34 AM

since this is done with the help of microsoft, perhaps we will see a final come standard with windows longhorn? Im excited.

deadedj
  • deadedj

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

Being a poor person myself, I can safely say that the best free graphics software is Serif PhotPlus 6, which they give out free in hope that the downloader will like this version and upgrade to version 9 or whatever, for a pricey fee. It also contains the ability to create animation very easily. I have also tried Paint.net, and there are a great deal of limitations. So basically, the product made by a commercial company, should be, and is, better than one made by university students and "supported" by Microsoft.

Gta Master.
  • Gta Master.

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:48 AM

I have some questions about this.

1. Is it possible to make text have an outline, if it is possible, how do you do it?
2. How do you make a transparent background?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users