» «
Photo

Clean Up

22 replies to this topic
Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:33 PM Edited by Raptomex, 13 April 2005 - 11:40 PM.

I suggest cleaning up some forums. I believe with 65,000+ members, and the general discussion forum especially, not being moderated, would cause useless topics, in which it has. I believe a moderator has made a topic in General Discussion regarding how much all the topics "suck". In my opinion he's right. I believe you should empty out, or trash old topics in all forums. Maybe empty out General Discussion fully. But year old topics that are not helpful in each forum I believe should be removed.

What I am saying is, I suggest, if you have to, close down the forums for a couple of hours or a day to take the time and clean up the forums. This might even improve the search tool, and searching through hundereds of topics. Possibly remove banned members period. Thank you.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:28 AM

Why?

Why would 'clean' up all those things?

Remember each or every second month the larger forums is going through a clean up, meaning that all posts older than 2 months will be archieved.

Or rather moved to 'The Bin', which normal members cannot see.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:59 AM

Oh. Ok. I wasn't aware of the bin, lol.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

You're wrong.

To begin with, General-Chat is slightly moderated.
Secondly, getting rid of old topics and banned members is not going to clean up the forums at all. I mean, how would doing that make the forums suck less?

Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

why does my dream team alwys go to sh*t within 2 months?

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

Slight bump, apologies.

Ok how about getting rid of the locked topics? I was looking for a certain topic in gen. chat earlier and the amount of locked topics was amazing. Ok it might not improve the forum experience, but it would look a lot cleaner? notify.gif

Stefaan
  • Stefaan

Revolutionary

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:51 PM

No, locked topics contain posts, more post means better. The people who want to advertise like more 'active' message boards (total postcount is a good measure tool for that).
It's all the same way with members.

As CLC said the forums wouldn't suck less (or be better), it'll only be less 'in your face'. Deleting will help nothing to help that out.

BTW: Use the search function if you're looking for a 'certain' topic.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:51 PM

Make your font size smaller, its like your shouting and no one will take a bit of notice when you type like that. confused.gif Locked topics are sometimes good, removing them would be a tedious task and would take away a certain amount of valuable information regarding what part of the forum you are in. Locked topics can still have relevant information in them that someone may have been searching for so I think this would be a bad idea.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:50 PM

Not to mention locked topics show exactly what stuff you are not allowed to post.

rolleyes.gif

Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

yeah i guess thats a decent reason for keeping them.

not sure if its been discussed before (sorry mid-reply so cant search!) what about old members? I'm talking ones who haven't been active for over a year and only posted maybe once or twice anyways? Why not get rid of them? When you look at the member list, you see loads of people who haven't posted for ages, but are still active. If they decide to come back, they wil just need to re-register.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Yo' Mama @ Apr 19 2005, 21:12)
what about old members? I'm talking ones who haven't been active for over a year and only posted maybe once or twice anyways? Why not get rid of them? When you look at the member list, you see loads of people who haven't posted for ages, but are still active. If they decide to come back, they wil just need to re-register.

It's not fair to the members.

Think about it. You come back to the forums, and receive a message saying your user has been deleted. I'd be pretty annoyed.

Plus, it's good for site stats. The inactive members aren't degrading anything from the forums, and removing them isn't going to enhance the atmosphere of the forums, so why bother?

Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Fuzzy Juzzy @ Apr 19 2005, 12:23)
QUOTE (Yo' Mama @ Apr 19 2005, 21:12)
what about old members? I'm talking ones who haven't been active for over a year and only posted maybe once or twice anyways? Why not get rid of them? When you look at the member list, you see loads of people who haven't posted for ages, but are still active. If they decide to come back, they wil just need to re-register.

It's not fair to the members.

Think about it. You come back to the forums, and receive a message saying your user has been deleted. I'd be pretty annoyed.

Plus, it's good for site stats. The inactive members aren't degrading anything from the forums, and removing them isn't going to enhance the atmosphere of the forums, so why bother?

but surely if they haven't posted a single reply in over a year, they're not going to be that bothered about having to re-register?

I suppose if it keeps the sites stats up then, furry muff, leave it as it is. It just looks bad when you are looking through the members and you got a couple of hundred people who are so in-active, they can't possibly be contributing anything worth while to the site apart from an extra number on the members list?

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:38 PM

They shouldn't lose their member names, just because they haven't posted.

Besides the second you delete the old names or even old busted names, people will reregister using those names, only they'll be different people. It would make it harder for the staff to keep track of who is who.

And if they're "still active" and just don't post, then what's the problem? At least they aren't spamming.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:06 PM

Use the forum search and search on this subject, you iwll find alot of replies that relate back to this situation. There seems to be one topic like this every couple of months with the same outcome that its not going to happen.

Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (SWEETSAPRIK @ Apr 19 2005, 13:38)
They shouldn't lose their member names, just because they haven't posted.

Besides the second you delete the old names or even old busted names, people will reregister using those names, only they'll be different people. It would make it harder for the staff to keep track of who is who.

And if they're "still active" and just don't post, then what's the problem? At least they aren't spamming.

yeah I appreciate that these people aint spamming but, ok take this guy

now he originally joined in 2003 and hasnt made a single post since then - whats the point of his details still being on here?

if he suddenly decides that he wants to come back - then tough crap, hes been inactive for so long, make him re-register....

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

No, I agree that people like that are useless.

I'm saying that if he were to come back, forcing him to take up yet another name is worse. Then he'll have used up two member names that no one else can ever use. Or if we delete the name and details, then some other noob might come along and choose his crappy name.

He could be a current member that realized that his name sucked, and made a new account that wasn't as noobish. But he probably just joined to use search, either to find some GTA related info, of look through profiles, and add info to e-mail/IM lists, and that sucks. But unless it's hurting the server in some way, why should the staff take time deleting him?

I thought when you said
When you look at the member list, you see loads of people who haven't posted for ages, but are still active.
that you meant members that have been on recently, but just haven't posted in a year or so. Those people could be looking for mods and when they didn't find any didn't post, or needed some info, found it, and left.

I'm not saying it's a stupid idea, I'm just saying that the staff probably have more important sh!t to do. But I'm not a mod/admin/staff, so you don't have to argue it with me, if they think it's a good idea, they'll do it.

Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

yeah im sure the mods haven't got time to be worrying about little things like this!!

maybe they might drop in and look at the little discussion we've had!! confused.gif

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

Wheelman drops in and looks at discussion.

tounge.gif

No, we don't need to start deleting stuff. The database gets archived and optimised every so often, so there's no benefit in culling members or topics.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

I personally think this is a bad idea, because if you delete old topics, more topics will be made for the thing that's been deleted. (If you get what I'm trying to say) Deleting the requests in the graphics section of the forum however is a good idea, as it'll clean up the forums. Signature Requests are totally pointless, so there is absolutley, no reason why they should be kept. Other topics within certain forums, should be kept, as more users (especially new) will think it's a good game to watch the topics disappear and then make a new version, again I go back to the graphics part, but who would search for a signature request? I mean this is pointless, keeping almost 4/5 pages of pointless locked/useless topics.. if you decide to keep the work, that's a good point because if the author manages to loss his work, he knows he can search for his topic and get his work back. I know just recentely the requests have been taken to the tutorials section, therefore the General Discussion Graphics forum should have a good cleanout, get rid of old requests, so it doesn't confuse any users who are in doubt of where to post to request a signature. I know many may notice the requests part, but other forums just stick all graphic work in one forum, so if they're from another place, they may post there thinking that it's ok because the older users did so.

Finally, all together this is a bad idea for certain forums, but this could be extremely useful for some, such as I pointed out: graphics. I know this may sound daft, but please consider cleaning out the graphics part, so it's no longer full of useless topics or locked requests.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

Or the most easy solution ( apart from doing nothing ) is to make a filter system.

No posts will be deleted.

You can just filter the locked topics away.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

You could also make the search, so it doesn't include lock topics, don't know how it will be done but.. it's a suggestion.

Tongue of Colicab
  • Tongue of Colicab

629>1506

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:41 AM

This is kind of off topic and maybe shouldn't be posted, but I have a suggestion of sorts that kinda relates to this...

One thing that gets people kind of mad is bumping ancient topics. Why not lock inactive topics after a month or two? If someone has a problem with a lock, they should PM and admin or mod. Just a suggestion.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (Tongue of Colicab @ Apr 20 2005, 01:41)
This is kind of off topic and maybe shouldn't be posted, but I have a suggestion of sorts that kinda relates to this...

One thing that gets people kind of mad is bumping ancient topics. Why not lock inactive topics after a month or two? If someone has a problem with a lock, they should PM and admin or mod. Just a suggestion.

No real reason to. Plus, I go back to old topics and quote them without actually posting in that topic, and I can't do that my lazy way unless they're left open tounge.gif

cice
  • cice

Ω

• Members

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

Locked topics can have a good purpose. Take the GTA forums (specific forums for each game, not this site in general), someone could create a topic with a serious question, it could get answered in the first reply. Then the next 5 pages could just be off topic trash which gets it locked. Keep the locked topics, 'cause they can still help people find what they need to find.

Also, I think you need to register to be able to search. If this is the case, then there's probably people who signed up, just to search for answers to their questions, but never post.

In summary, there's no point to delete old members, locked topic, or old topics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users