Photo

Dark Punk

48 replies to this topic
gannonroader
  • gannonroader

I'm the guy that sings Aicha.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

When I say dark punk, i'm talking bands like umm, Alkaline Trio, my chemical Romance, senses fail, afi, stuff like that, the new Strung Out is another one(there newest album). Basically punk, but singing about darker stuff than the government, or gf's or anything like that. I'd love to find some new stuff, I can't get enough of it.

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:26 PM

I would have said go to my topic but those seem like pop punk bands to me. Try the Misfits.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

I wouldnt consider My Chemical Romance "punk"...maybe that's just me though. Havent heard any of the other bands you listed.

xstevex
  • xstevex

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:33 PM

I didn't think punk was ever very dark. The only bands I can think of are the Misfits and maybe the Quincy Punx, which one has already been listed. All the punk I know of is basically political. Thats what punk basically was meant to be though, political. You might like Pg. 99 though, they are somewhat punkish.

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:36 PM

The Cure may work for you aswell their not heavy or anything but alot of the time pretty darkish.

gannonroader
  • gannonroader

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:44 PM

haha, well the misfits is obvious, and the cure are a little too on the gay side for me. I'll try the other one tho. Keep em coming, i'm hopin to find a gold mine.

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:50 PM

You're hoping for the impossible then cause there really arent many "dark" punk bands as you call them that dont talk about the goverment / social status / partying and having fun etc. and how can you call the cure gay when you listen to my chemical romance.

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:52 PM

I would highly recommend Cancerslug. They have amazing lyrics.

The best part is, they have free mp3s on their site. They give away their cds for free.

http://www.cancerslug.net/mp3s/
http://www.cancerslu...s/battlehymnsI/

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (ToyMachine @ Apr 7 2005, 22:52)
I would highly recommend Cancerslug. They have amazing lyrics.

The best part is, they have free mp3s on their site. They give away their cds for free.

http://www.cancerslug.net/mp3s/
http://www.cancerslu...s/battlehymnsI/

I'm getting the songs of that site i have a few of them done and they kickass from what i hear so far. thanks for sharing that awesome link and band.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (gannonroader @ Apr 7 2005, 22:44)
haha, well the misfits is obvious, and the cure are a little too on the gay side for me. I'll try the other one tho. Keep em coming, i'm hopin to find a gold mine.

The Cure are on the 'gay' side but My Chemical Romance aren't? Jesus, learn music. And to say those groups are 'dark'? I died a bit inside when I read that.

Regardless, Gray Matter own.

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ Apr 7 2005, 23:11)
haha, well the misfits is obvious, and the cure are a little too on the gay side for me.  I'll try the other one tho.  Keep em coming, i'm hopin to find a gold mine.

[color=ffcc33]The Cure are on the 'gay' side but My Chemical Romance aren't? Jesus, learn music. And to say those groups are 'dark'? I died a bit inside when I read that.
color]

Yeah that made me cringe too. If he calls that dark punk i'd hate to see his idea of Punk music ingeneral.

gannonroader
  • gannonroader

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:25 AM Edited by gannonroader, 08 April 2005 - 01:34 AM.

Holy f*ck boys, I could dance musical circles around both of you put together, and that's a promise. If my chemical romance isn't dark, you two are sociopaths. And i'm not hear to debate what's punk, and what's not, I'm keeping it general. I've listened to punk since grade 4, I know what it is, I don't need anyone on a website to tell me. All of the bands I mentioned are categorised as "punk" as a genre, and as a "style" of music, not as what they write about. If there was another name for it, I would call them that, I prefer dark emo to be exact, but I didn't feel that put all of those bands in the same category, so dark punk seemed more fitting. The fact that you say I need to learn music made me cringe, I'm probably one of the biggest music fans ever, and just because i'm not scared to like my chemical romance doesn't mean sh*t. It's called opinions boys, use em, and respect em.

EDIT: You guys are totally missing the point. I listened to those bands, and there nothing at all what i'm looking for. BASICALLY, i'm looking for songs about ghosts and death, and darker subjects, set to the music of anything less than metal. How bout that? Forget I ever said the word punk for everyone out there that seems to have to pick up for the music.

ponerpenbone
  • ponerpenbone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:46 AM

it looks like your looking for some good horror punk so you should check out any band fronted by Danzig:
The misfits
Samhain
Danzig even though you said you didn't really want metal
or
The cramps

Lynk
  • Lynk

somebodysomewhere.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:24 AM

Well I see Avenged Sevenfold in your sig and Senses Fail in your first post try these, their not Dark Punk. I dont even think there is any such thing. More of the Post-Hardcore region.

A Static Lullaby
Thrice
Taking Back Sunday
Alexisonfire
From Autumn to Ashes
From First to Last
Funeral for a Friend
Bullet for my Valentine
The Used - If you like My Chemical Romance, you'll like these.
Brand New
Hawthorne Heights
Underoath
Atreyu
Hopesfall
The Agony Scene
As I Lay Dying

I cant think of anymore off the top of my head, but yeah try these.

Kutthroat
  • Kutthroat

Abgoosht For Life

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:37 AM

Harr, am I the only one that keeps thinking this thread is called "Daft Punk"?

tounge.gif

WidowMaker
  • WidowMaker

Born with a black hat.

• The Precinct

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Kutthroat @ Apr 8 2005, 11:37)

tounge.gif

Nope...

GET HOMEWORK AND POSSIBLY DISCOVERY BUT MOSTLY JUST HOMEWORK.

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (gannonroader @ Apr 7 2005, 21:25)
Holy f*ck boys, I could dance musical circles around both of you put together, and that's a promise.

my chemical romance

I've listened to punk since grade 4, I know what it is, I don't need anyone on a website to tell me.

All of the bands I mentioned are categorised as "punk" as a genre

First of all, the bands you listed aren't punk. They are emo/screamo, but definitely not punk.

As for listening to punk since Grade 4, care to enlighten us what bands you listened to?

listened to those bands, and there nothing at all what i'm looking for. BASICALLY, i'm looking for songs about ghosts and death, and darker subjects, set to the music of anything less than metal.

Listen to Cancerslug you boon. Listen to the Misfits. I can find you plenty of songs about death and rape that these bands have made.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Kutthroat @ Apr 8 2005, 12:37)

tounge.gif

Wrong! That's why I clicked on the topic...opps.

The Misfits are good, My friend like My Chemical Romance, so you should listen to them. AFI are also good......But Cancerslug....I downloaded Leech Witch...and it was barf8bd.gif

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Venom @ Apr 8 2005, 13:44)

tounge.gif

The Misfits are good, My friend like My Chemical Romance, so you should listen to them. AFI are also good......But Cancerslug....I downloaded Leech Witch...and it was barf8bd.gif

I heard My Chemical Romance's Helena. Not only did I barf, I also sh*t myself. Same with AFI except it was Leaving Song Pt.2.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (ToyMachine @ Apr 8 2005, 18:56)
QUOTE (Venom @ Apr 8 2005, 13:44)

tounge.gif

I heard My Chemical Romance's Helena. Not only did I barf, I also sh*t myself. Same with AFI except it was Leaving Song Pt.2.

I never said I liked them....I thought they were a little off....but my friend seems to be some sort of loyal die hard fan...and they haven't been around that long as far as I know...Well....He does also like Marylin Manson..... rolleyes.gif

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ Apr 7 2005, 18:11)
haha, well the misfits is obvious, and the cure are a little too on the gay side for me.  I'll try the other one tho.  Keep em coming, i'm hopin to find a gold mine.

The Cure are on the 'gay' side but My Chemical Romance aren't? Jesus, learn music. And to say those groups are 'dark'? I died a bit inside when I read that.

I agree fully with this statement.

Holy f*ck boys, I could dance musical circles around both of you put together, and that's a promise.

sh*t son, you've got an Avenged Sevenfold signature. You really don't have much of a place to talk. You dig?

@Toy: Emo/Screamo? Ughhh don't get me started, please.

And when all's said and done, My Chemical Romance still sucks a load of penis.

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Apr 8 2005, 14:15)
QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ Apr 7 2005, 18:11)

I agree fully with this statement.

@Toy: Emo/Screamo? Ughhh don't get me started, please.

I know what you mean. I read that essay you said your friend wrote about emo. It has a lot of information in it about real emo.

But what would you call music like Taking Back Sunday, MCR or Fallout Boy other than crap? Everyone seems to call it emo nowdays.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:37 PM

I consider them post-hardcore bullsh*t. I know everbody calls it emo, but they really don't know what they're talking about. I'm just trying to end the ignorance one step at a time.

gannonroader
  • gannonroader

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

What bands have I listened to since grade four??? Pennywise, no use for a name, lagwagon, face to face, total chaos, DFL, guttermouth, etc, etc. I just love every kind of music. I'm not scared to like somethin cause they wear a bit of makeup, or sing about love. If it's a good song, it's a good song. Listen with your ears, and not with your eyes. And if you guys don't like my chemical romance, that's fine, I don't expect everyone to, that's what makes the world awesome. And I have listened to almost every band that you guys mention, hahaha, I'm actually embarressed at some of them Danzig!! comon now, give me a bit of credit. I have a humongous library of music, you can be almost 99% sure i've heard of anything as big as danzig or the misfits, ahahahaha. Guys, also that you mentioned daft punk, the new album is reeeeeallll good. check it out.

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

Dark Punk

Like dark meat?

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (gannonroader @ Apr 8 2005, 18:39)
Guys, also that you mentioned daft punk, the new album is reeeeeallll good. check it out.

Going off-topic here, but I found it lacking in anything amazing. There are a couple of great tracks on there, gotta admit I love Technologic.

(Aaron) playing: Daft Punk - Technologic (MP3, 4:44@192kbps)

@Oreo - <3

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (gannonroader @ Apr 8 2005, 13:39)
I'm not scared to like somethin cause they wear a bit of makeup, or sing about love. If it's a good song, it's a good song. Listen with your ears, and not with your eyes.

But the Cure is too gay for you?

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Apr 8 2005, 15:22)
I'm not scared to like somethin cause they wear a bit of makeup, or sing about love.  If it's a good song, it's a good song.  Listen with your ears, and not with your eyes.

But the Cure is too gay for you?

Y'know, actually, I went through a period of when I listened to The Cure every now and then. I guess it is good to be gay sometimes, don't you agree?

BeSs887
  • BeSs887

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:50 AM

They're not really that "dark" but Billy Talent is one of my favorite punk bands and Pennywise is good too.

gannonroader
  • gannonroader

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Uno Carb @ Apr 8 2005, 22:13)
QUOTE (Moonshield @ Apr 8 2005, 15:22)
I'm not scared to like somethin cause they wear a bit of makeup, or sing about love.  If it's a good song, it's a good song.  Listen with your ears, and not with your eyes.

<!--SF--> But the Cure is too gay for you?

Y'know, actually, I went through a period of when I listened to The Cure every now and then. I guess it is good to be gay sometimes, don't you agree?
<!--EF-->

Listen, just cause you don't find them gay, that's fine, I'm not saying anything against you, just like you probably think my chemical romance is gay. I don't care, and you shouldn't either. Everyone bite your lip, and give 3 cheers for freedom of speech.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users