• willyboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

user posted image

'dexx edit - putting all the links here just for convenience sake:
Willboy's links
http://rapidshare.de...C_d3d8.zip.html
(^, for that one, hit "Free" on the bottom of the first page to continue)

http://www.mm2x.com/.../GTAVC_d3d8.zip
(may be down)

mine - http://gregval.phpwe...ds/dexxspec.zip
mine is essentially the same, but it has some user-definable parameters, see page 5 for details.

@ willyboy, post if you update this ever, or have some comments - you seem to have dissapeared!

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

/* !!
what...how...details?

4/1 joke? */

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:24 AM

The cars look suspicously like the higher-poly Xbox models. I think he's just Photochopped this from an Xbox screenshot, not any kind of hack.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (Opius @ Apr 1 2005, 19:24)
The cars look suspicously like the higher-poly Xbox models. I think he's just Photochopped this from an Xbox screenshot, not any kind of hack.

/* blink.gif

um....no. they are identical to PC cars opi. its the spec in the pic that makes them look like the xbox vehicles, but the poly count on teh cars is as low as ever. play the pc version again. */

willyboy
  • willyboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:41 AM

if spokie's speedo is fake then i agree,it all done the same way as speedo ,hooking,i will try to post a dll pretty soon smile.gif .

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (willyboy @ Apr 1 2005, 22:41)
if spokie's speedo is fake then i agree,it all done the same way as speedo ,hooking,i will try to post a dll pretty soon smile.gif .

/* can i have your children? please tell me you'll be posting code too inlove.gif */

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:49 AM

wow.gif

If it is real, consider yourself a god. Eagerly awaiting the release.

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:22 AM

Seriously. If it's true, give this man some karma.

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:30 PM Edited by Black-hawk, 02 April 2005 - 06:46 PM.

My God, I'd say how much I love you but I've already fainted.
Link seems to be fecked...

willyboy
  • willyboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:37 PM Edited by willyboy, 02 April 2005 - 08:07 PM.

here i go,drop them into the game's main folder

http://rapidshare.de...C_d3d8.zip.html

or from here

http://www.mm2x.com/.../GTAVC_d3d8.zip
hope you all believe it now!!! smile.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:53 PM Edited by ashdexx, 02 April 2005 - 07:10 PM.

/* dude, this is awesome. you are the king of ass-kickery. Now my questions:
-how?
-why are people also shiny? this cool but odd tounge.gif
-i want to mod this soooooooooo badly, will you be posting any code and/or explanations? */

edit: to those who may be confused by the link as i was, just scroll to the bottom of the page, and hit "free"; its free, and you dont need to sign up for anything. the link will be at the bottom of the 2nd page, once you hit continue.

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:54 PM

Can we get a mirror somewhere so we can check this out?

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:59 PM Edited by Black-hawk, 02 April 2005 - 07:03 PM.

QUOTE (TRN4L @ Apr 2 2005, 18:54)
Can we get a mirror somewhere so we can check this out?

I'm with TRN4l here...
Try using this for uploading:
Click

-Ben-
  • -Ben-

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:03 PM

.....i don't see what the big deal is, why would you want everything so shiny? it looks like vice city wrapped in plastic

*Adam*
  • *Adam*

Sexeh Screenies

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

user posted image

Give this guy some karma! ++

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:36 PM

user posted image
Why me....

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

He just copied the optimized D3D8 DLL from the XBox disc and was lucky that the XBox does in fact use x86 as its basis (it being a Microsoft product and all). That's why this works. The reason the graphics appear 'XBox-like' is because Rockstar added realtime reflection mapping to to their XBox release in the DLL, whereas Win32 games generally come without custom DLL's for things like D3D8 since they're already provided in the operating system upon installation. That is also why it works with GTA3.

user posted image

Nothing truly extraordinary. Unless of course he rewrote the D3D8 DLL using these techniques, which would seem to be highly unlikely in all regards.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:55 PM Edited by steve-m, 02 April 2005 - 09:03 PM.

Amazing work, very interesting. It's a bit buggy though, vertical walls are flickering.

So how'd you do it? Shader prog injection, or modified materials, or what? Source?

Edit: Hmm, so can someone confirm this is just a xbox rip (files identical)? But he said he used Spooky's method to create the dll...

Run Down That Guy
  • Run Down That Guy

Hmmm

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:10 PM Edited by Run down that guy!!, 02 April 2005 - 09:18 PM.

I am very interested at how he did this aswell. It may also be possible that this is what sets the reflections on the cars aswell, we would just need to patch up the exe. Maybe use the neo folder from the xbox version and patch the exe to look in that directory or something? I am tired so I am just spouting ideas, but hey, it may be possible now. I am getting ready to compare this with the dll in the XBE, just give me a sec.

EDIT:: Nevermind, I cant find anything in the XBE

EDIT:: Another idea! Since I reformatted, have not tools or anything, someone try to use an Xbox car DFF and TXD in the game with this. Its possible it might work. or not because of the diffrent RW versions. But POSSIBLE at that smile.gif

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:39 PM Edited by Kryptos, 02 April 2005 - 09:42 PM.

I don't have an XBox, and thus have no requirement for the disc, so someone else will have to check this out. The thing I find most troubling is the fact that whoever did create this spent a lot of time ensuring that it wouldn't crash, adding in things like bounds checking using ProxyDLL. Comparing spookie's original speedometer DLL with this one don't bring up any real similarities, so unless this DLL was completely revamped based on spookie's original, I can't really see this coming from the same origin. Mind you, in the end it's the author's word, and considering that he isn't disclosing how this was done, I think you all can base your judgement on that. If he does happen to come forward and explain this, then I revoke my comments, and congratulate him for this triumph, but until then I shall remain a skeptic. And on a side note, the DLL released by the author was created before this topic was started, so why he delayed the release is confusing.

Run Down That Guy
  • Run Down That Guy

Hmmm

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

Err, now I am getting " The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application. " Any fix or something you guys have done to your copies to prevent this? I am using the latest Direct X 9

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (Kryptos @ Apr 2 2005, 23:39)
And on a side note, the DLL released by the author was created before this topic was started, so why he delayed the release is confusing.

To me the file seems to be created just 21 mins before the release. blink.gif

willyboy, step out of the shadows...

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

The properties on my file said it was created in March, I can't remember the exact date but it was between the 28th and the 30th. Either way, it doesn't make a difference. The author should explain the techniques used in greater detail then just saying that 'spookie's DLL was used' when in fact it doesn't appear as though it was. Some hard evidence would be nice. Yes, the original D3D8 library is loaded into the DLL as spookie's does, but this isn't to create a complete hook, it's to complete the functionality of the DLL itself as one would expect a game developer to use, especially in the case of Rockstar in this scenario as they would be rushing to meet the deadline for the XBox release and would throw together a quick hack to add these functions to the game.

cmc_jacob
  • cmc_jacob

qwerty

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:03 AM

Holy crap.. this is frickin awesome. There are a few bugs with the lighting (like it seems, when around a cop car, only 1 ped can be colored at the same time).. and I did also get some flickering (you would turn dark sometimes), but the cars appear to be working flawlessly. Vice is looking beautiful now.

After quickly glancing at this DLL compared to a compiled version of spooky's in ASM, neither do I see any similiarities you would expect to see.
An xbox d3d8.dll would help.

willyboy
  • willyboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:41 AM

don't we have some crazy thinkers out here screw them!!!, i never said its been made from spookie source or from xbox.yes i compiled them just before posting with added lights.

This is all done by adding new lights without overriding the game's light ,i have seen many RW[pc] games without this specular lights(read more from dx9 sdk) and i was actually tring it for another RW based game,this is just a start(also for me) you could control the lights dynamically by changing the light's properties according to game's weather to get realistic effects.this might even work on upcoming SA:PC smile.gif .

This is how light properties look like

CODE

{
D3DLIGHT8 light;
       light.Ambient.r = 0.7f;
light.Ambient.g = 0.7f;
light.Ambient.b = 0.7f;
       light.Diffuse.r = 0.8f;
light.Diffuse.g = 0.8f;
light.Diffuse.b = 0.8f;
light.Direction.x = 0.0f;
       light.Direction.y = -1.0f;
       light.Direction.z = 1.0f;
       light.Type =  D3DLIGHT_DIRECTIONAL;
light.Specular.r = 0.7f;
       light.Specular.g = 0.7f;
       light.Specular.b = 0.7f;
       light.Specular.a = 0.7f;
d3d_IDirect3DDevice8->LightEnable( 0, TRUE );
       d3d_IDirect3DDevice8->SetRenderState(D3DRS_AMBIENT, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(40, 40,40));

}

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:47 AM

Great work man! I'd love to see the full source to this be released.

Would you be able to use Spoosh's SCM hook to find ONLY cars (there's an opcode for that) and assign the lights to them?

Run Down That Guy
  • Run Down That Guy

Hmmm

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:55 AM

Could this ALSO mean you can add EXTRA lights to cars? such as indicator lights etc.???

willyboy
  • willyboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (Opius @ Apr 3 2005, 05:47)
Great work man! I'd love to see the full source to this be released.

Would you be able to use Spoosh's SCM hook to find ONLY cars (there's an opcode for that) and assign the lights to them?

i am not sure whether we can assign lights to individual objects, this is more of global lighting and for some reason static objects like buildings the light doesn't affect them maybe due to normals??.

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (willyboy)
i never said its been made from spookie source or from xbox...

Umm...

QUOTE (willyboy)
if spokie's speedo is fake then i agree,it all done the same way as speedo ,hooking

Not sure if that's to imply that your DLL uses the same hooking method, or the actual source, but either way.

Anyhow...

QUOTE (Kryptos)
...Unless of course he rewrote the D3D8 [should have said 9, forgot about the updates in version 9] DLL using these techniques, which would seem to be highly unlikely in all regards.
[...]
If he does happen to come forward and explain this, then I revoke my comments, and congratulate him for this triumph...

Nice work. You have my astonishment. Sorry for being skeptical.

Run Down That Guy
  • Run Down That Guy

Hmmm

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:01 AM

Yes very nice, just for some strange reason, it wont work for me, is it not compatible with Direct X 9.0c? Nvidia geforceFX drivers maybe??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users