Photo

Band of Brothers

47 replies to this topic
$disturbed$
  • $disturbed$

Crazy mofo

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:29 AM

You mean when Gaurnere got his leg blown off. Yeah, that was pretty funny. And Toye got his ripped off right before. "Jesus Christ, what does a man have to do to get killed"

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:15 AM

Jeez, a lot of guys died in Breaking Point. Like when Hoobler finally found a Luger and got killed because of it and when that guy died from his own incindenary grenade. I still don't understand why he ran in before it went off.

zon
  • zon

I eat babies

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Mafia Righthand_Man @ Apr 15 2005, 23:15)
Jeez, a lot of guys died in Breaking Point. Like when Hoobler finally found a Luger and got killed because of it and when that guy died from his own incindenary grenade. I still don't understand why he ran in before it went off.

I remember those! Now I'm sad... sad.gif

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

Love the series. I first watched a few episodes on HBO a while back and kinda liked it. Now it has been on The History Channel and I watched every episode. They just had the...uh...(uh I forget the name of the episode)...one episode where they took the Hitler's mountian top fortress [The Birdsnest I think] and were told about VE day. Good Episode.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Apr 16 2005, 15:53)
Love the series. I first watched a few episodes on HBO a while back and kinda liked it. Now it has been on The History Channel and I watched every episode. They just had the...uh...(uh I forget the name of the episode)...one episode where they took the Hitler's mountian top fortress [The Birdsnest I think] and were told about VE day. Good Episode.

The episode was points, and hitler's house in the alps was the eagle's nest.

stalker666-x
  • stalker666-x

forum elite

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:59 AM

ugh! look at those poor prople in the concentration prison camps! nasty things the nazis did

Dublo 7
  • Dublo 7

Trying Your Luck

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (stalker666-x @ Apr 17 2005, 15:59)
ugh! look at those poor prople in the concentration prison camps! nasty things the nazis did

Yeah, that episode made me feel sick to my f*cking stomach. It was foul.

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

It's a great movie series. My dad bought it back a while ago. We watch it when we can't find something good to watch.

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Raptomex @ Apr 21 2005, 07:01)
It's a great movie series. My dad bought it back a while ago. We watch it when we can't find something good to watch.

I find it is a father-son kind of series, as my dad thinks BOB is great as well. I'm thinking of buying it soon.

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:40 PM Edited by memento27oasis, 21 April 2005 - 05:42 PM.

side question: What does the D in "D-Day," stand for?

I liked the Band of Brothers series also, I had a few gripes about it, although they are more just personal taste comments. First, I would've made it easier to understand where the troops were. Maybe a map or something, because all the town names and battle tactics would've been easier to understand. Like when Bastone needed help, it would've been nice to see just how and where the Germans were and where the re-inforcements were coming. Heck, maybe it's just me.

Also, the closed quarters camera work make it difficult to see and understand where the action is happening. They'll be running through Holland in a town and you don't really know what direction the enemy is in, it's kinda jumbled up. But when the zoom out and show a long street with a nazi, then you understand. Maybe more of these tactics of showing the entire battlefield would help the person watching it.

Don't get me wrong, I understood the film just fine, but these things make it seem like a smaller scale war than it actually was. When they show the countryside I'm kinda confused, like, is it a graphics shot, digital enhancing or something? It doesn't feel as real as the film really is.

One good example of this is "Kelly's Heroes," with Clint Eastwood, they enter a German town to steal gold, and you really understand how their tactics are carried out, there's no guesswork.

and I know battle wasn't always that organized, but you can film in an organized way.

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (memento27oasis @ Apr 21 2005, 12:40)
side question: What does the D in "D-Day," stand for?

This is actually quite disputed. Some say it means Designation-Day and other things but the most common answer is that D-Day is just D-Day. The D stands alone. Personally, I thought it used to mean Dooms-day because it seemed to fit. Here's a good explanation.

The "D" does not stand for Decision. It does not stand for Defeat (as in Defeat Germany). Nor does it stand for Disembark, Deploy, Decision, Depart, Departure, Destroy, Demarkation, or Deliverance.

And contrary to popular belief among many, it does not stand for "Day" either.

In fact, it does not -stand- for anything. That particular letter is generally assumed to have been chosen because it is the first letter in "Day", but it does not stand for "Day". In other words, D-day is not short for Day-Day. D-day is D-day and nothing more.

Now this probably leads you to wonder what D-day means, right? It is a military term used to signify the unnamed day a military operation begins. The official name of the Normandy invasion we incorrectly refer to as D-Day, is Operation Overlord. The secret day Operation Overlord was to begin was 06-JUN-1944, the D-day. Every military operation has its own D-day. Fortunately, the correct capitalization for the military term is 'D-day' so we can distinguish it from the 'D-Day' commonly used to denote Operation Overlord in the civilian sector.

The specific hour that Operation Overlord began on D-Day is called H-Hour. And yes, every military operation has its own H-Hour too.

If there is a D-Day, is there a C-Day? Yes, Virginia, there is a C-Day. C-Day is the unnamed day on which a deployment operation is to begin. In other words, troops begin to move toward the eventual battlefield on C-Day and troops begin to fight on D-Day. For Operation Overlord, C-Day was 05-JUN-1944 I believe.

Other nations' militaries have similar terms. The French have 'le Jour-J' and the Dutch have 'het Uur-U' for example.

Other related or similar military terms include F-Hour, L-Hour, M-Day, N-Day, R-Day, S-Day, T-Day, and W-Day, but they are beyond the scope of this discussion.

As for the camera work, they meant it to be that way. They wanted to show you what the war was like through the eyes of a soldier during WWII. They wanted to show you all the confusion running about during combat with the shaky and up close camera angles.

Journey2TheSky
  • Journey2TheSky

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:29 PM

Ah, Band of Brothers. I own the tin boxset and I've watched the whole thing atleast a dozen times. It never gets old. I have to say by far my favorite episode is "Carentan". The characters are also unforgetable, especially Luz. I'm trying to convince my History Professor to show an episode or two in the class. Tis' educational and all turn.gif

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Journey2TheSky @ Apr 21 2005, 18:29)
Ah, Band of Brothers. I own the tin boxset and I've watched the whole thing atleast a dozen times. It never gets old. I have to say by far my favorite episode is "Carentan". The characters are also unforgetable, especially Luz. I'm trying to convince my History Professor to show an episode or two in the class. Tis' educational and all turn.gif

Yeah, we are getting around to WWII in my history class. He's interested in WWII movies but I haven't asked him about BoB yet. It might be hard to get because I don't know if my Blockbuster carries the series anymore.

jazz.
  • jazz.

waffen

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

BoB is awesome...My favourite episode is ''Bastogne''.

The end is pretty emotional, when the germans start singing..And there are parts where i almost got a tear in my eye in other episodes.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

I was an Extra in Band of Brothers - No sh*t!

It was probably the best job I ever had - If I had a scanner I could show you some photos. I'll try to sort something out.

I worked on 5 episodes - 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6. I was mainly playing a German paratrooper, but I did also get to be one of the 101st for a few days - that was pretty cool - we spent the entire day drinking beer. Non alcoholic of course. At the end of the day, the director, David Nutter, bought us all a real beer. There was like 80 of us. Rich man.

The worst thing about it was running behind tanks - I was sucking up diesel fumes all day. Diesel gives you weird dreams. I also had to have a really bad 1940's German style haircut. They paid me 20 to cut my hair - THEY paid ME. They also paid me to put on a uniform, take one picture, and go home. Easy money.

I was making 150 a day for about 4 months, it was brilliant.

Wearing a wool uniform, with a wool overcoat in the middle of Summer was not cool. It was very hot.

In the episode Crossroads (Ep 5 I think), Tom Hanks told me to "Die over there!". That was my brush with stardom.

Other than that, I met Donnie Wahlberg, Dexter Fletcher, Damian Lewis, Ron Livingston and most of the rest of the 101st.

Best job I ever had, without a doubt.

jazz.
  • jazz.

waffen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

Oh man, thats frickin awesome! Which soldier were you?
Oct made me cool.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

Haha:

"Die over there!"

Most excellent. biggrin.gif

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (jazz. @ Apr 29 2005, 16:22)
Oh man, thats frickin awesome! Which soldier were you?
Oct made me cool.

I was an extra, so I was probably like 30 different soldiers at various points. You can see me in Ep 5 - Crossroads - over Damian Lewis's shoulder, just after they butcher all those Germans. Its a bit blurry, but its me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users