Official PSP Browser Confirmed

23 replies to this topic
Hunter„
  • Hunter„

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (Gamespot)
Online-enabled PSP to hit Korea in May

Sony's PSP will hit Korea with streaming content services and online gaming capabilities at launch.
According to sources in Korea, Sony Computer Entertainment will launch its PlayStation Portable, or PSP, in that country on May 2. Unlike the Japan and North America markets, the first shipment of the handheld will come with Internet features ready for use. Sony is partnering with KT Corp., a major wireless Internet service provider in Korea, to offer easy online connectivity and other services.

Similar to the North American launch, Korean consumers will be limited to the Value Pack bundle of the PSP (which will be priced at 328,000 won, or about $320, in that market). The Value Pack will come with the PSP unit, an AC adapter, battery pack, headphones with remote control, a carrying pouch, a cleaning cloth, a strap band, and a 32MB Memory Stick Duo. But that market's Value Pack will have one big difference from the unit's previous releases: out-of-the-box online connectivity.

The first 100,000 units sold of the Korean PSP Value Pack will come with a Network Utility UMD and a limited-time membership for wireless Internet service, in addition to a UMD movie of Spider-Man 2.

By tapping the Network Utility UMD functionality, gamers in Korea will be able to enjoy a number of other online services in addition to games, including Web browsing, an online movie player, and an online music player.

The first shipments of the Value Pack also come with a membership for NESPOT, the wireless Web service offered by KT. Gamers who register to NESPOT will be able to access more than 14,000 wireless hot spots within Korea. They can also opt to get NESPOT APs (Access Points) installed in their houses for no additional charge. The first month of NESPOT usage will be free; thereafter, gamers will be charged a flat rate of 5,000 won ($4.92) per month.

Gamers who register with NESPOT will also receive a free online-enabled game developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Korea (SCEK), titled Glorace.

Other networked services scheduled for PSP consumers in Korea include on-demand streaming music, on-demand streaming videos (including TV shows), e-learning options, and electronic books. SCEK and KT expect that they will be the first companies to provide a full online experience for the PSP user in any market.

Source

This is info on the PSP browser not the launch of the PSP so don't even start.

Magephil
  • Magephil

Jew

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:40 AM

Anything that potentially means pirated psp games is all right with me biggrin.gif

sniper_in_shadows
  • sniper_in_shadows

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:12 AM

wait, soes this mean that north americans will have to buy the new psp with online, or what?

Digļtįl £vīl
  • Digļtįl £vīl

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:41 AM

no they will just have some sort of update downloadable for the US PSP you silly.

It has all the wifi and online updating stuff already built in.

haha

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

Actually, you can get a PSP online now.

http://www.andrew.cm...r/jterlesk/psp/

PSP on Google

sniper_in_shadows
  • sniper_in_shadows

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:25 PM

wow.gif wow.gif wow.gif wow.gif oh sh*t that looks soooo good, dam i cant wait to get my own!

GameMaster90
  • GameMaster90

Andolini Badfella

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:43 AM

So, is there any information on how much the internet service is going to cost per month? I hope it isn't a whole lot, because I'm trying to buy a PS3. tounge.gif

I just hope that Sony actually sticks through with PSP Online thing, because with the PS2, it's sh*t compared to Xbox Live.

Boomshine Bubba
  • Boomshine Bubba

Join Us.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

I'm guessing it'll be about $4.92 a month. monocle.gif

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:37 PM

I dont understand what you would be paying for... It's Wi-Fi enabled already.

The service probably gives you access to neat downloads, music, video, games, etc.. from sony...

As for a web browser, that's just a piece of software. You would already need an internet service in your house (with a wireless router) or somewhere else to be able to use it.

I want to know what's on that new UMD and when can we get it in the US? Release the keyboard for it and the browser and let us go nuts with it.

I think that wipeout game is pretty lame and it stinks that it has the browser in it that we can use. Why not the other games? Why not just build it into the system?

It's easy enough to set up a proxy to make it all work, but I dont want to dish out the 40 some bucks for a game that I dont want to play just to get my PSP on-line.

Mac users can sync their iTunes, iPhoto, and contacts with it (requires some software on the mac). Let's get some of the good stuff for all of the PC users in the states.

My PSP is so under utilized compaired to what I know it can do. I hope Sony speeds things us with getting all the cool accessories out for it.

sniper_in_shadows
  • sniper_in_shadows

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

from what i have read on mags and online, sonys not going to charge anything, all you have to pay is you internet provider.
if you want to walk around and use the internet then you will be charged, though i dont know how much.
there will also be hot spots where you can access the internet for free.

the psp will bring good times Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:13 PM

Wait, someone explain to me why ANYONE would think they would have to charge a monthly fee? Seeing as how my PSP is hooked up to my interweb at the moment, I don't see the need to pay ANYTHING per month.

@pete - I think the community will come up with something special in a couple of weeks or so. You never know.

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

Yeah... I mean what you said was basically my point.

Hopefully, sony will release the web UMD for release in the US... Make it $10 bucks or so to cover the marketing, box work, etc...

Being able to use it anywhere would be wonderful... There are hot spots all over town.

Likewise, they need to come out with the keyboard for it. I know a third party is working on one.

Kuiosikle
  • Kuiosikle

Who?

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (YoYo-Pete @ Mar 31 2005, 08:55)
Hopefully, sony will release the web UMD for release in the US... Make it $10 bucks or so to cover the marketing, box work, etc...

Actually, no. The web browser will become available after downloading and installing the firmware update that will utilize and improve apon the browser that is already built into the OS.

GTA-RIFADO
  • GTA-RIFADO

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:33 PM Edited by GTA-RIFADO, 17 April 2005 - 08:38 PM.

...so it's gonna be free?? wow.gif i heard that some of the webpages can't be dispayed,, but as long as i'm online with my psp.....i wouldn't care!!!

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Kuiosikle @ Mar 31 2005, 10:52)
Actually, no. The web browser will become available after downloading and installing the firmware update that will utilize and improve apon the browser that is already built into the OS.

Then what is on the web-browser UMD for the Korean release? And if that's the case, since they have it for Korea, why not push the update out in the US?

rippa
  • rippa

Oh Noez!!!!11one1

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

Ok, you guys are confusing me. Is it going to be free if you hook it up with some wireless thing connected to your home computer? If yes, will it charge any extra on your internet fee? Will you be able to go wherever with it? Will it make a difference if you live in Canada? Last one - Will there be any difference if you get one after they've already been out [and the price has dropped]?
I know some of these questions are stupid and incorrect, but oh well.

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

Is it going to be free if you hook it up with some wireless thing connected to your home computer?

The PSP allows you to connect via WiFi Hot Spots... To do this at home you need a wireless router that connects to your broadband connection (DSL or Cable or whatever). You then configure the PSP to work with the wireless router, similar to how you would configure a PC. It took me about a minute to get mine set up. The hardest part was typeing in the name of the Connection.

If yes, will it charge any extra on your internet fee?

No, your ISP doesnt charge by number of machines or data transfer, therefor you could have your PC and your PSP and whatever else all connected through your internet connection.

Will you be able to go wherever with it?

You can go to WiFi Hot Spots to access the internet, but you can take the PSP wherever you want.

Will it make a difference if you live in Canada?

People will probably make fun of you more than people living in other countries. But the PSP wont care.

Last one - Will there be any difference if you get one after they've already been out [and the price has dropped]?

Possibly... In theory, the software updates will be pushed out via the internet, so all the PSPs will be on the same version as long as you check for updates now and then. Sony could redesign it a bit or change some of the hardware. That is something we dont know about.

The PS2, including the slimline, had 3 different hardware versions. It's possible you could see something like that for the PSP or they might just keep it all the same and in a few years when technology improves, you might have a PSP2.

But waiting a year probably wont make a difference in what you get. And I dont think the price will drop very much... maybe $50 or so.

(Side note: I had to exchange my PSP because it had a problem with the screw holes on top of the unit. I have the pelican cover and it wouldnt screw down. So because of that, I had to give up my copy of Spiderman 2 that I got with the initial release because Best Buy has to return everything that came in the original box. Crap! It wasnt my fault my unit had issues. Shouldnt mean I had to loose the bonus UMD that I got because I managed to get the first batch.)

rippa
  • rippa

Oh Noez!!!!11one1

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (YoYo-Pete @ Apr 18 2005, 14:06)
Is it going to be free if you hook it up with some wireless thing connected to your home computer?

The PSP allows you to connect via WiFi Hot Spots... To do this at home you need a wireless router that connects to your broadband connection (DSL or Cable or whatever). You then configure the PSP to work with the wireless router, similar to how you would configure a PC. It took me about a minute to get mine set up. The hardest part was typeing in the name of the Connection.

If yes, will it charge any extra on your internet fee?

No, your ISP doesnt charge by number of machines or data transfer, therefor you could have your PC and your PSP and whatever else all connected through your internet connection.

Will you be able to go wherever with it?

You can go to WiFi Hot Spots to access the internet, but you can take the PSP wherever you want.

Will it make a difference if you live in Canada?

People will probably make fun of you more than people living in other countries. But the PSP wont care.

Last one - Will there be any difference if you get one after they've already been out [and the price has dropped]?

Possibly... In theory, the software updates will be pushed out via the internet, so all the PSPs will be on the same version as long as you check for updates now and then. Sony could redesign it a bit or change some of the hardware. That is something we dont know about.

The PS2, including the slimline, had 3 different hardware versions. It's possible you could see something like that for the PSP or they might just keep it all the same and in a few years when technology improves, you might have a PSP2.

But waiting a year probably wont make a difference in what you get. And I dont think the price will drop very much... maybe $50 or so.

(Side note: I had to exchange my PSP because it had a problem with the screw holes on top of the unit. I have the pelican cover and it wouldnt screw down. So because of that, I had to give up my copy of Spiderman 2 that I got with the initial release because Best Buy has to return everything that came in the original box. Crap! It wasnt my fault my unit had issues. Shouldnt mean I had to loose the bonus UMD that I got because I managed to get the first batch.)

Thanks! But what exactly is a WiFi hotspot? And can you explain why I won't be able to surf the web wherever? Thanks for all the answers!

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

There are 2 paths to the internet... Cellular technology and Land Lines.

The PSP does not have a cellular based network card. Cellular cards are usually for laptops so people can get on the web wherever they are. They have charges similar to a cell phone.

That leaves Land Lines... Land lines are your cable modems, dial-up, DSL, etc... People have a land line installed and then put a wireless router onto it. They add (a lot of laptops come with one) a wireless network card to thier computer. This is sort of like cordless phones. This technology is nichnamed WiFi.

The PSP has a wireless network card in it, allowing it to connect to a wireless router. It uses the 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g protocals. You dont really see "a" around, "b" gives you a connection speed of 11Mbs and "g" gives you connection speeds of 54Mbs. The PSP uses "b".

The area around the wireless router is the hot spot. Some people encrypt thier routers so no other people can connect into their network. Some people (like me) have security on the computer systems and let the network be open if someone wanted to use it via WiFi...

If you pulled up into my drive way, you could access my network, or play against me on the PSP.

Public hot spots are usually internet cafes, bars, restaurants, air ports, hotels, etc.. You can google and find listings of local hot spots.

The town of Athens Georga is all hot. You could have your PC or PSP and be on the internet down town. Michigan state parks now have a common area where you can go and use a hot spot to get on the internet.

I hope that explains it. Here are some links to answers.com.

WiFi
Hot Spot

Harlem
  • Harlem

The Renegades

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

To sum this up, if I buy a PSP and want to go online with it, I don't want to have to f*ck around with all this wireless router sh*t. When will the PSP browser come out in America?

rippa
  • rippa

Oh Noez!!!!11one1

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Pete! So I pretty much understand it now, I'm just clarifying. I hook it up to my PC VIA wireless router, I can then use it like a cordless phone, I have to be around it to use it, BUT, can I just use it by any computer or just mine? Like, do you have to hook up anything into the actual computer, or just the PSP? Thanks so much for all the help!

sniper_in_shadows
  • sniper_in_shadows

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:01 PM

if you want to use it somewhere else, and its not near your computer, you must use a computer conection that is near the place you want to be.
that means a new connection saved on your memory stick.
i already found come computers at the mall i can use, and they have no WEP codes! cool.gif

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

There is a version of msn that can be used with the psp unfortunately I can't find the link at the moment and can not try it until I charge my psp battery because I let it go dead on purpose so I can't use it during my cram week for exams. The wipeout pure browser hack is ok but hopefully the official browser will have better features.

Kuiosikle
  • Kuiosikle

Who?

• Members

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Mark Pagliaro @ Apr 20 2005, 10:45)
There is a version of msn that can be used with the psp unfortunately I can't find the link at the moment

While using the Wipeout Pure browser go here:

http://mob.e-messenger.net/mobile/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users