» «
Photo

The PC Chat Internet Directory

13 replies to this topic
Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:29 PM Edited by Atomic, 05 May 2005 - 12:27 AM.

By Xcomm:

General Tech review and news sites

====================

OverClocking Sites

====================

Benchmarking & Monitoring Utilities

====================

Processors & Chipsets

====================

Motherboards

====================

Hard Drive Disks (HDD)

====================

Memory

====================

Video Cards

====================

Sound Cards

====================

PC Cases

====================

PC Cooling Sites

====================

PC Manufacturers

====================

PC Building Guides

====================

PC Modifying Sites ====================

Operating Systems ====================

E-Retailers

By De_Spank:

___://Browsers
-
___://Product Name/Link ___://Description ___://Recommended by
-Mozilla FireFoxA free web browser. Alot faster, stable and less security issues. The better alternative to IE.
De_Spank
-Mozilla1.7Web-browser built for 2004, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple -- all your Internet needs in one application.
Doody The Clown
-Advant BrowserTry Avant Browser, an upgrade to Internet Explorer. Avant Browser is a fast, stable, user-friendly, versatile multi-window browser. Now, Avant Browser is available in 40 languages.
Xcommunicated
-OperaAnother free alternative to IE. Many people prefer this over IE or Firefox, i prefer Firefox but it's simply your preference. A disadvantage is that the free version is ad-supported.
De_Spank
___://Firewalls
-
-Zone AlarmZonealarm is very well known free-full feature firewall. What i like about it is the program control, it allows you set which programs have access rights to the Internet. It is very good at blocking unwanted incoming and outing traffic.De_Spank
-Sygate Personal FirewallI personally don't like it as much as ZoneAlarm since everytime it starts up, it displays an advertisement popup. But other than that, its excellent.amp!
-Kerio Personal FirewallKerio Personal Firewall is a software agent that builds a barrier between your personal computer and the Internet. KPF is designed to protect your PC against attacks from both the Internet. Kerio Personal Firewall is easy enough to use for novice users, and also provides the flexibility of custom rules for advanced users. Pro version available with additional features.
De_Spank
___://FTP Clients/Servers
-
-FlashFXPFTP clientDalpura
-SmartFTPFTP clientDalpura
-AceFTPFTP clientDalpura
-WsFTPFTP clientDalpura
-CerberusFTPFTP serverAtomic178
-Filezilla FTPFTP
server
wolf68k
___://P2P ( for legal purposes )
-
-Kazaa LiteMy favourite P2P program with no-ads/spyware. The most results, quicker downloads and stability. Although downside is that their being investigated...De_Spank
-WinMXIf i didn't use KazaaLite i would use this. Another very good P2P program free of ads/spyware.De_Spank
-eMULEAnother P2P programBond996
-DC++Another p2p alternative.:R2D2:.
-OvernetAnother p2p alternative. Works on the eDonkey network. The link will get you on the eDonkey2000 site but overnet is somewhere there in the downloads.
TwoZero
-LimeWireIt is easy to use, pretty reliable, and no spyware/virus attached and iTunes compatible
But the non-pro version has popups upon start up, and because of the Java coding used, it may have un-warned slowdowns and/or may crash.
The Cheat Lord
-SoulseekIt Soulseek is an ad-free, spyware-free, just plain free file sharing application.-Inertia-
___://BitTorrent Clients
-
-Burst! IMO the best torrent client.TwoZero
-Azureusamp! said it's pretty good.amp!
-Shad0w's ClientSimple modified BitTorrent client.
Easy to use and you can montior people which are connected to you. Also more reliable than Azureus to some users that have used it.
The Cheat Lord
-ABCABC is an improved client for the Bittorrent peer-to-peer file distribution solution. Based on BitTornado 0.2.0Trows
___://Spring Cleaning Tools
-
-Hijack ThisA very nice prog to clean out your IE. but be warned it's a very easy prog and watch out that you don't delete something you don't want to delete.TwoZero
-Easy Clean 2.0An Excellent program that cleans unnecessary files, registry entries, and whatnot. EC is a very simple, fast, and efficient tool.amp!
-DeepDelete-Xcommunicated
-Doc ScrubberAnalyze and scrub hidden and potentially embarassing data in Word documents. Word Documents can contain all sorts of extra data, commonly referred to as "Metadata".
MiNdLeSs
___://Instant Messengers/Chat App/Communication
-
-SkypeA freeware, nice, easy too use program that lets you call every skype
user for free over the internet. Just download it, have some
headphones and you can talk to your friends, for free!
vALKYRô
-AOL Instant MessengerAOL's instant messenger, very popular.
De_Spank
-TrillianOne of my favourite programs. You can use MSN, AIM, ICQ and Yahoo all from one program altogether.
De_Spank
-GAIMA really good instant messanger that lets you use aim, yim, msn, irc, and a few others.
Stained
-Msn Messenger Probaly the best Instant Messenger around.
De_Spank
-ICQ Instant Messenger ICQ another IM, I don't like it much but you choose.
De_Spank
-Messenger Plus Messenger Plus adds distinct new features to MSN making the experience more enjoyable?
De_Spank
-mIRCWindows IRC Client.
Atomic178
___://Overclocking Tools
-
-MBM5Itís pretty good, monitors temps of your cpu, hardrives, case etc. good for overclockers.
Afr0man
-CPU-ZCPU-Z is a freeware detection program base on the Panopsys hardware detection engine. It allows to get information on your system. amc1
-3DMark03 A good free benchmarking tool. It test the capabilities of your processor and graphics card and gives them a combined score and information on your pc. afr0man
-Coolbits Free registry hack for Nvidia cards that unlocks overclocking options in the nvidia driver allowing you to OC it via the driver.Atomic178
-ATITool In my opinion the best ATI video card overclocking utility. Fully automaticly for the newbies that want to OC. Click go and let it run then your all set.Atomic178
___://Multimedia Stuffs
-
-WinampWMP sucks. This is quick, simple, looks good and it works goddamn it.De_Spank
-Quicktime Basically a program to play .mov files.De_Spank
-Crystal Player The best damn video player in the world. It plays everything. Really things on my hdd wich I didn't even know what it was seemed to be movies and played (it where *.m2v files). This player is just awesome it has onscreen menu's is easy to use and is free! although I have the Pro version wich includes many filters for fixing up bad movies.TwoZero
-VuPlayer Another very good fee mp3/ogg/wav/wma/whatever player.TwoZero
-K-Lite Codecs Pack Free codec pack that contains almost every video and audio codecs used these days. Including Divx, Xvid, AC3, WAF and more. This is really a pack for the normal users. Just a installer and you can play all your movies in your favourite video player.TwoZero
-Nimo's Codec PackAnother codec pack to play all your movies. The difference is that this one also includes a lot of plugins to encode movies so you can compress your own movies.TwoZero
-VirtualDubVirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP)movies.amc1
-Media Jukebox Media player (what I use), the best IMO.Atomic178
___://Freeware O/S
-
-Knoppix Linux For the people who want to try Linux. This is a linux version that can boot from a cd and doesn't require installation.TwoZero
-Mandrake Linux One of the most user friendly linux versions. Includes a wide range of extra software and has the best GUI there is for linux.installation.TwoZero
-Suse Linux Also a user friendly version of Linux. The differnce with Mandrake is that Suse also supports Development enviourments, and is a good disto for developing graphical programs.TwoZero
-Redhat Linux IMO the best version of Linux. Simple interface runs on almost every machine. This is the best version for advanced Linux users. 6 Consoles available and many programming tools included.TwoZero
- Debian Linux Haven't had much experience with it but it's a very guru-friendly distro.Edwards
-Slackware Linux Very UNIXy, also not much experience. Not for beginners.Edwards
-Gentoo Linux I run this on all my linux boxen, it's the best out there if you know what you're doing. Every damn thing is configurable - the installer is a standard Bash command line and a very well-written handbook. If you're a beginner, then RUN, RUN AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN!Edwards
___://Compression
- ___://Product Name/Link ___://Description ___://Recommended by
- Winzip WinZip enables you to quickly and easily compress and decompress files, folders, and entire folder trees to save storage space and dramatically reduce e-mail transmission time, as well as encrypt and decrypt your sensitive documents.De_Spank
- UltimateZip Good free tool for all your compressed files including; Zip, Rar, Ace, Gzip and many more.TwoZero
- WinRAR Compression thingy. (Better than winzip)Atomic178
___://CD Rippers/Burners
- CDex The best cd ripper IMO.TwoZero
- DVD Shrink DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD discs. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disc.amc1
___://Imaging
- GIMP I recommend GIMP 1.2.5, but that's mainly because I'm used to it. The newer version (2.0.1) looks nicer, but it's just not the same.Doody The Clown
- Irfanview A fast, small, compact image viewer that supports a large number of image formats and can convert from one format to another (including batch converting). Also supports view of many multimedia viewing.wolf68k
___://Anti-Virus
- AVG 6.0 Free EditionI don't know where i would be without this program. An insanely good virus scanning program for freeware. Worth paying for the latest AVG's.De_Spank
- Trojan Hunter It hunts for Trojan viruses, hence the name.amp!
___://Spyware Removers
-Ad-aware I think it's the best spyware remover availible with daily updates. I prefer this over the well known spybot. Nice and simply layout too.De_Spank
-SpybotAn alternative to Ad-aware. You decide which is better.De_Spank
___://Office Software
-OpenOffice 1.1OpenOffice.org 1.1 gives you everything you'd expect in office software. You can create dynamic documents, analyse data, design eye-catching presentations, produce dramatic illustrations, and open up your databases. You can publish your work in Portable Document Format (.pdf), and release your graphics in Flash (.swf) format - without needing any additional software. OpenOffice.org 1.1 is now available for more users than ever, with support for complex text layout (CTL) languages (such as Thai, Hindi, Arabic, and Hebrew) and vertical writing languages too.amc1
-AbiWord A good freeware replacement to Word.Tornado Rex
___://Game Applications
-Frap Monitors FPS in games and also does screenshots and in-game movies.Atomic178
Stuff added by me (and probably submitted by other people) thats not in either of those lists:

DVD Decrypter - Rips dvds.
Speed Fan - Gives a bunch of reading and OC's too I think, fun to play with.
Foxit PDF Reader - It umm....reads PDFs I guess....better alternative to adobe's acrobat rreader I hear.

VLC - Nice little video player, supports all the usual formats. Has versions for Linux, Winows, and other operating systems. I use this for playing video because its stable and doesnt have a fugly gui.

Foobar2000 - Audio player for Windows. Minimalist interface, loads of components, tabbed playlists, built-in replay gain support, etc.

Gnucleus - No-nonsense Gnutella and G2 client for windows. Does what Kazaa and Limewire does, they all use the same file sharing network.

db Power Amp - Decent cd ripping/audio conversion tool. Can tag ripped cds using freedb, and can add some shell extensions

I found a great site that answers one the common questions we get in there; "What ports do I open for <program or game> to work on line [or as a server]?"
http://portforward.com/ -wolf68k

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 27 2005, 10:29)
-
___://Product Name/Link ___://Description            ___://Recommended by 
-Sygate Personal FirewallI personally don't like it as much as ZoneAlarm since everytime it starts up, it displays an advertisement popup. But other than that, its excellent.amp!

Sygate doesn't display an advertisement popup anymore. I use it and it's pretty good. The link should be http://smb.sygate.co...pf_standard.htm since you kinda get lost in Sygate's website... tounge.gif

You should post this site too, it's a good resource for some security tips for Windows.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

Lovely....

This thread stays closed, for anyone that has the power to open it.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Welcome to the new and improved PC Chat Internet Directory

Every day on the internet there are thousands of people downloading dodgy virus ridden software In the hope that they can speed up, optimise, protect their precious notebook, PC, laptop from the nastyís

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

We need to create a new PC Chat Internet Directory of extra ordinary magnitude! Built by the community for the community, so step up and be a true GTA Forumer and please contribute to our new thread.

Topic open, please provide links for the following categories

General Tech review and news sites
Benchmarking & Monitoring Utilities
Processors & Chipsets
Motherboards
Hard Drive Disks (HDD)
Memory
Video Cards
Sound Cards
PC Cases
PC Cooling Sites
PC Manufacturers
PC Building Guides
PC Modifying Sites
Operating Systems
E-Retailers
Browsers
Firewalls
FTP Clients/Servers
P2P ( for legal purposes )
Spring Cleaning Tools
Instant Messengers/Chat App/Communication
Overclocking Tools
Multimedia Stuffs
Freeware O/S
Compression
CD Rippers/Burners
Imaging
Anti-Virus
Spyware Removers
Office Software
Game Applications

And anything else you can think off.

Thanks!

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

At last. Was going to PM Wolf the other day and ask him to update this topic.

I don't know what format you want it in, such as tables and what-not, so I'll just put it in basic form.

Browsers:

(Only really use Firefox & Opera so the other ones with commments are based off websites)

Firefox 4 - Arguably one of the best browsers there is out there. Allows for hundreds of customisations to get it working, looking & feeling exactly the way you want. Firefox 4 has alot of compatability issues, and is why I use Opera aswell as Firefox.
Internet Explorer 8/9 - Not a very popular browser due to the amount of attacks it can get, and rather slow IMO. Some people like it, but I personally can't stand it.
Opera - My personal 2nd favourite browser. Can be customised again, and comes pre-packaged with alot of cool features.
Safari - Not used much, so anyone to care to comment?
Maxthon Browser - No comment.
Avant Browser - No Comment.
PhaseOut - No Comment.
DeepNet Explorer - Not used, but claims to have intergarted P2P support and the 'best RSS Feeder'.
SpaceTime - Not Used.

P2P Clients:

Shareaza - Not Used
BitTorrent - IMO, the best Torrent software there is.
Ares - Not Used
BearShare - Used this as my first ever P2p Software, and did exactly what I wanted it to do. Allows previewing of songs as they download with the intergrated music player aswell.
Kazaa - Not sure how much this program has changed, but was the best P2P software at one point in time.
Limewire - Currently down due to court action, but keep checking the link for details.
EMule - Just recently used this program, and only got rid of it when I spring cleaned my PC. Great program, does exactly what you want it to.
DC++ - Can be rather confusing at first, so make sure to read the FAQ's and whatnot. Personally, I don't like it as it's confusing having to join servers to download, only to be kicked from the server for not posting in the 'chat room' every minute.
Soulseek - My favourite P2p program, due to how much new music I've found thanks to it allowing you to browse peoples shared folders. So easy aswell...download, create a name, and you automatically connect to the network. Type a search in, and either choose to download from the list or browse the users files. Also has intergrated chat rooms specifically tailored to music genres.

Add more later.

Raindancer
  • Raindancer

Beer monster

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

Good work, keep the links coming people, ill clean up the format later

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

The only secure way to P2P file share right now is torrenting and/or via an onion network of some sort. (I2P or Tor) I would remove all other P2P links. On other networks, even if you are looking for something entirely legal to download, there is no guarantee that you will not download something entirely illegal. *cough*eMule*cough* There is no reason to take such risks.

http://www.i2p2.de/ - I2P
https://www.torproject.org/ - Tor

http://www.tomshardware.com/ - General hardware review, benchmarking, and comparison.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (K^2 @ May 28 2011, 14:36)
The only secure way to P2P file share right now is torrenting and/or via an onion network of some sort. (I2P or Tor) I would remove all other P2P links. On other networks, even if you are looking for something entirely legal to download, there is no guarantee that you will not download something entirely illegal. *cough*eMule*cough* There is no reason to take such risks.

Soulseek would be a safe one to keep though.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:09 AM

was either legionhardware or hardwaresecrets mentioned? i like these sites as well as the ones listed at the top
oh yeah, bit-tech and jonnyguru also. i would recommend hardocp also, but they deleted my membership cause of disuse (i think, quit trying to login)

GentleMans
  • GentleMans

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

I can hardly imagine how much time I need to look through all the sites and forums...

Zisis1992
  • Zisis1992

Snitch

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

In Linux distributions, add the www.ubuntu.com for Ubuntu.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

I think I'll give this directory a severely needed revamp seeing that I wrote the first part of it circa 2003. tounge.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:23 AM Edited by leik oh em jeez!, 30 December 2011 - 05:11 AM.

Suppose you'll be adding Chrome to browsers?

Might also want to list Asus and Razer as Sound Card manufacturers.

Could also add Rivatuner and nTune to overclocking and Paint.NET to imaging.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:22 AM Edited by Slamman, 08 March 2012 - 06:27 AM.

The lead post links should still be appended, There's more then just those, Techspot is a forum and news site, not listed, there's one for Motherboard lovers, one for eMachines support I mentioned a few times (as well as Gateway) and Overclocker's anonymous I believe, I'm sure a few that I can't recall off hand.

Too bad Abit went down, sad to see them go.

7Zip for compression tools, I found it on a CD ROM MaxPC disc, my first time I bought the magazine, and I've enjoyed it ever since!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users