Quantcast

» «
Photo

Bit Dissapointed with the PC version Screenshots?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic
mattsgames
  • mattsgames

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

I Dont know if this is just me but I am a bit disppointed with the PC Version Screenshots it looks just like the PS2 Version but without the trails feature and I feel the trails feature would add a lot of character to the city. They look a lot like the VC-PC screenshots and that they have just copied and pasted San Andreas into Vice City while the PS2 version had a unique feal about the screenshots. Who agrees or not Im not judging a book by the cover and I will probably be impressed when I am playing it just the PS2 Shots seemed better

Ubi
  • Ubi

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

Well who knows, maybe the machines that were running it had crappy graphics cards? It could be a whole lot of things.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

PS2 San An didn't have trails... Those are just scans. confused.gif

Konoko45
  • Konoko45

I hate you all, just FYI.

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:23 PM Edited by Konoko45, 26 March 2005 - 02:26 PM.

What? You actually LIKE trails? Trails suck ass, I'm sorry, they never should have added that crap to GTA3 or VC anyway. Trails do not add "character" as you so speak of, all it does is blur the screen, make the game uglier, AND reduces your frame rate to boot. People on PC want crisp, sharp graphics like the ones shown in the screens, NOT that blurry mess that you seem attached to. Well, some have said they turned on trails to reduce that "jagginess" all those anti-PS2 fanboys keep talking about, but since we're not going to be running this in horribly low 640x480 resolution like the PS2, we don't really need it.

But of course, I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, it's still unfinished (Notice the vehicles had NO reflections whatsoever on them?), and those weren't exactly the best quality screens, either, being scans an all...

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

The screenshots are renders. What hardware they're using is irrelevant.

Oh, and the main reason they 'feel' different is because they got rid of the ridiculously overdone haze and smog. Here's a tip: It didn't add character to the game, it covered up the limitations of the hardware it was running on.

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:12 PM

my only real dissapointment with the screenshots is the lack of true screenshots ... can't really call screenshot cut from a thumbnail of a magazine page a screenshot....i'll be happy when i see a true screenshot of the pc version ....though the pics cut out from the site do look fairly good i can't judge based on them

street454
  • street454

S.A. for Xbox: it's here!

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

I not going to comment, because you can't really see the scans that well.

tommy vercetti guy
  • tommy vercetti guy

A fellow canadian

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:24 PM

The textures in the PC screenshots look a little, dry

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:14 AM

We talking about a couple of screenshots from a magazine scan of course they aren't going to look perfect. Just wait til the real screenshots are shown then you will change your mind. And yes thank god they removed that awful hazy smogy look which has been said is to cover up the belmishes that the PS2 has in rendering the game.

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:26 AM

They are scans. Don't worry, we'll have some huge screenshots soon.

matheson030
  • matheson030

Dolt

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:09 AM

Could someone please post a link so other people could judge the screenshots

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (matheson030 @ Mar 30 2005, 06:09)
Could someone please post a link so other people could judge the screenshots

LINK

it's off the main page also i belive a couple of topic gamestar preview or something

matheson030
  • matheson030

Dolt

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:45 AM

cheers bob the noob

mattsgames
  • mattsgames

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

Im not talking about the Scans, Im talking about the screenshots on www.gtagaming.com which are not scans. The trails are different from Vice City and in my opinion are a lot better than the PC Screenshots they maybe to hide the ineffectivness or whatever of the PS2 the draw distance from the PC version and PS2 version looks about the same the objects on the screen don't appear to fit there are gaps between them. All Im worried is that it will be a lazy conversion thats all.( I dont think it is being ported by Rockstar North )

Guranga
  • Guranga

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

I would say, wait for the first real digital screens about SanAndreas. rahkstar2.gif

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (mattsgames @ Mar 30 2005, 13:56)
Im not talking about the Scans, Im talking about the screenshots on www.gtagaming.com which are not scans. The trails are different from Vice City and in my opinion are a lot better than the PC Screenshots they maybe to hide the ineffectivness or whatever of the PS2 the draw distance from the PC version and PS2 version looks about the same the objects on the screen don't appear to fit there are gaps between them. All Im worried is that it will be a lazy conversion thats all.( I dont think it is being ported by Rockstar North )

those aren't real screenshots on gtagaming ... they cut them out of the same screenshot of the mag. that is off the main page and in the top gamestar preview ... of course they are real screenshot in the mag. but anyone else is just cutting them from there for now ... (course i maybe wrong correct me if i am) ... but to echo other wait for the real screenshot before you make up your mind =)

Konoko45
  • Konoko45

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:28 AM Edited by Konoko45, 31 March 2005 - 12:41 AM.

First of all, matt, GTAGaming's screens ARE scans, they came directly from the scanned article. You can even see the scan distortion if you aren't fecking blind. Second of all, what in the hell makes you think R* North isn't porting it? They developed the damn game, they have to.

mattsgames
  • mattsgames

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:59 PM

First of all, matt, GTAGaming's screens ARE scans, they came directly from the scanned article. You can even see the scan distortion if you aren't fecking blind. Second of all, what in the hell makes you think R* North isn't porting it? They developed the damn game, they have to.

First of all get your facts straight before flaming me. it has always been another rockstar studio doing the port for the PC version. I think it is usually Rockstar San Diego or another minor studio. You honestly expected Rockstar North to port the game while they are working on more creative projects like GTA for the nxt generation consoles. When GTA Vice was being ported they were doing this while Making Manhunt, and San Andreas. Also GTA 3 was a pretty lazy conversion and that it often required a PC more powerful to play GTA 3 than it did for Vice City. Also if you had actually played the game before going of on a rant you would realise certain weather effects can produce the similar distortion especially the rain, Sand Fog effects and the countryside dust effects.

GTAKhaoZ
  • GTAKhaoZ

C'mon SA:PC! Now to get a better PC...

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:55 PM

You're not going to get a half-ass conversion when the wait is 8 friggin' months. They improved the rendering technique for VC which is why it runs better than GTA3. Also, I'm betting they're not working on the next-gen GTA game because they said they would be taking a break (imo, much deserved). It will be quite a long while before the next GTA game comes out (minus GTA:PSP). Not flaming, just saying wait for those official PC screens; you are going to need a new pair of pants.

Konoko45
  • Konoko45

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:08 PM Edited by Konoko45, 31 March 2005 - 11:22 PM.

Maybe you need to get YOUR facts straight, matt. You seem to talk sh*t on subjects you don't even know. R* North DOES port GTA to PC themselves. I think the R* North logo on the back of the VC PC box kinda gives that away, don't you think? If a different branch had ported it, they would have credited it all the same. For instance, Xbox 3/VC, THAT was ported by another local R* branch, and the box credits on those clearly reflect this.

So are you implying that since the PC ports weren't quite up to par, that they weren't ported by R* North themselves? That's a pretty damn ignorant assumption. This isn't no Gearbox/Bungie Halo PC type case here.

People make mistakes, deal with it. I'm sure they're trying their hardest to get it going right this time.

Oh, and if you still think another local studio does the PC versions, feel free to provide some proof of that claim before you speak on it again, other than "It wasn't done right" or some sh*t like that.

Oh, right, now you're defending that those aren't scans, by claiming the dust and crap makes the "more scan and JPEG artifacts than you can shake a stick at" effect? Well, there certainly isn't any of that dust on the streets of Los Santos... and no sandstorms occur there, so, hmm, I think you're wrong. GTAGaming took the scans like everyone else, they got nothing exclusive. No wonder you were disappointed when you saw them, I would too if those were actually pure digital screenshots, but we'll see the real deal soon enough.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:22 AM

Umm, Konoko is right, R*^ did in fact do the PC version for the last two GTA's, and they are doing the PC version of San An as well. And unlike the 3/VC Double-Pack (ported by Rockstar Vienna), R*^ is handling the XBox version of San An too this time around.

As for the quality of the scanned screenshots, well, aside from being scanned (thus producing a low-res, artifact-filled mess), they are obvioulsy from an early beta build. What, with the game not being finished and all. When the real screens start pouring out, expect to see some significant improvements beyond those between versions of the previous games.

wijiwang
  • wijiwang

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:57 AM

why do you even care? if it is available (scans/blurs), you will be able to toggle in on/off.

neiltc13
  • neiltc13

GTAPSP.com

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

Time to clear this up. The screenshots I added to GTAGaming are taken directly from Gamestar magazine.

One of them (the one that GTASanAn.com also published) is taken from a PDF version of the contents page of the magazine which was available on the Gamestar website.

DigitalD
  • DigitalD

bvlgari

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

For those who haven't seen yet.. these here are of higher quality than those up at GTAGaming at the moment.

user posted image
user posted image
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp3.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp4.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp5.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp6.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp7.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp8.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...tar/sanpcp9.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...ar/sanpcp10.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...ar/sanpcp11.jpg
http://www.gtasanand...ar/sanpcp12.jpg

GTAKhaoZ
  • GTAKhaoZ

C'mon SA:PC! Now to get a better PC...

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Wow, some of those screenshots look amazing. Look at how smoothe the bike tires are! Man, I can't wait. biggrin.gif

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:43 PM

those are the biggest shots of those scans i've seen yet ... still not gonna base an opinion on them but i do see some interesting things that excite me in them ... looks like they've upped the anti anlising tho it is kinda hard to tell the lowrider with the gsf hanging out you can see the side walk fairly close and i'm not seeing the jaggy edge i've seen from VC pc but the distrotion of the mag. might account for that ... i can't wait for some clean SS directly from the game...

Konoko45
  • Konoko45

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:23 AM

Just FYI, bob, it doesn't matter if it "looks like they upped the anti-aliasing", because obviously you don't know how to make your card run VC under more AA.

A PC can run ANY game with full AA, it's just that for most games you have to tell the card to do it via the display control panel, by setting up the custom settings in the OpenGL/Direct3D rendering options. That, and running on a higher resolution works, too...

Hopefully that bit of info will help you enjoy VC a little bit more... although you should have known this to begin with. (And "jaggies" don't really matter to me, but it seems to matter to all you people, so, to each his own, I guess.)

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:46 AM Edited by bob the noob, 02 April 2005 - 02:10 AM.

QUOTE (Konoko45 @ Apr 1 2005, 18:23)
Just FYI, bob, it doesn't matter if it "looks like they upped the anti-aliasing", because obviously you don't know how to make your card run VC under more AA.

A PC can run ANY game with full AA, it's just that for most games you have to tell the card to do it via the display control panel, by setting up the custom settings in the OpenGL/Direct3D rendering options. That, and running on a higher resolution works, too...

Hopefully that bit of info will help you enjoy VC a little bit more... although you should have known this to begin with. (And "jaggies" don't really matter to me, but it seems to matter to all you people, so, to each his own, I guess.)

awesome ... nope didn't know that (obisously) thanks for the info... gonna go check it out now... been playing it agian lately while waiting for gta sa

***EDIT*** vc looks much better now ... i'm even happier with it =)

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:13 AM

If you ask me they look just like the PS2 version.

gtaman2
  • gtaman2

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Knife @ Apr 2 2005, 08:13)
If you ask me they look just like the PS2 version.

I agree i dont see any differince. But im sure that their are going to be better happy.gif but i can wait wait for the pc version cause their are so many things in san andreas that have not been discovered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users