• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic
excalibur69
  • excalibur69

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

1. scabo, dont be stupid you cant play/burn DVD's in a CD drive

2. you people that are bitching that you dont have a DVD drive, i am just wondering how the hell your computer is going to run the game? i mean, assuming the game needs a min of 1.8 ghz pc, i have never seen a pc sold at that level at a store without a dvdrom. if you have a computer that can handle SA (greater than 1.8 ghz) you should have a DVD-rom, and if you dont, you obviously do not know how to build/shop for a PC. so shut up and buy a dvd rom you cheap bastards, or buy the game on the sh*tty ps2

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:34 PM Edited by RainingAcid, 17 April 2005 - 11:36 PM.

Oooooohhh..clam down there.
Oh, and about being cheap. Some people cannot afford DVD drives. You never know how bad someone credit is.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (RainingAcid @ Apr 18 2005, 09:04)
Oooooohhh..clam down there.
Oh, and about being cheap. Some people cannot afford DVD drives. You never know how bad someone credit is.

Umm if you can afford a modern day PC that is capable of running current games then a DVD-ROM isnt out of the question or is already in said machine. PC's have been coming with DVD-ROM's for years, also if your going to be buying SA then you must have money to at least buy a cheap DVD-ROM.

@riah - Yeah but its only the first models of DVD-ROM's that had this problem, it would be rare to find a DVD-ROM that doens't support this.

excalibur69
  • excalibur69

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:29 AM

im not complaining, im sick of the bitching in this thread. if you can afford the game for 50 bucks, you can afford a drive for 30. if you cant afford 30, your probably 13 years old, cant get the money from mommy and daddy, and shouldnt be playing the game anyway

scabo19
  • scabo19

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (excalibur69 @ Apr 17 2005, 22:13)
1. scabo, dont be stupid you cant play/burn DVD's in a CD drive

I knew that. I just wanted to see what 2 see what his response would be.Anyway i'm getting my dvd-drive soon so I have no worries

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

/* being that i have a dvd-drive, im not really concerned one way or the other. however it does concern me that R* is intentionally alienating one (very-popular) medium for software, and forcing those of you without a dvd-drive to buy one. if nothing else, they should release it on both, like pretty much every other game in existence. Hell, atleast go the UT2K4 method, and give the dvd-version a bunch of extra and special stuff to justify that extra space. Farcry, Doom, UT, all are available on multiple cd's. If dvd drives are so popular, why didnt these guys go dvd-exlusive, hmm? because they're not stupid, and know people WILL buy the cd versions, and NOT everyone has, or wants to use their dvd drive for gaming.

Umm if you can afford a modern day PC that is capable of running current games then a DVD-ROM isnt out of the question or is already in said machine. PC's have been coming with DVD-ROM's for years, also if your going to be buying SA then you must have money to at least buy a cheap DVD-ROM.

we can take the exact same scenario we have here, and apply it to the games i mentioned above, which are all fairly system intensive, requiring a fairly modern pc. so why did they do cd releases then? */

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:26 AM

That was last year, where developers were dipping their toes into the waters of DVD media for their games I just feel that now its the time to start making use of DVD's larger capcity thus taking away the annoying disc swapping that comes with installing such games.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Apr 18 2005, 20:26)
That was last year, where developers were dipping their toes into the waters of DVD media for their games I just feel that now its the time to start making use of DVD's larger capcity thus taking away the annoying disc swapping that comes with installing such games.

Amen. Most of my current games come in 3 CD's or more. It's really annoying!! cry.gif

throwawayyy
  • throwawayyy

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Apr 18 2005, 13:44)
If dvd drives are so popular, why didnt these guys go dvd-exlusive, hmm? because they're not stupid, and know people WILL buy the cd versions, and NOT everyone has, or wants to use their dvd drive for gaming.

Some people don't even have cd-rom drives! Come on R*!! We want floppy disks!!

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:36 AM

/*
QUOTE (ballofsnow @ Apr 18 2005, 22:15)
QUOTE (ashdexx @ Apr 18 2005, 13:44)
If dvd drives are so popular, why didnt these guys go dvd-exlusive, hmm? because they're not stupid, and know people WILL buy the cd versions, and NOT everyone has, or wants to use their dvd drive for gaming.

Some people don't even have cd-rom drives! Come on R*!! We want floppy disks!!

congrats, you crossed the fine line between sarcasm and blatant stupidity.

i feel its a transition period, where more game developers should start making use of dvd's, yes, just not exclusivley. not yet. do dual releases, and get people warmed up to the idea, as they have been. As for the "annoying dic swapping", yea its not a joy. but unless your installing the game multiple times, how often is this really a problem? oh boohoo, you get "inconvenienced" a couple times, for a few seconds on average, every 4-6 months, if not longer. cry me a river. */

throwawayyy
  • throwawayyy

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Apr 19 2005, 01:36)
congrats, you crossed the fine line between sarcasm and blatant stupidity.

Says you, Mr. Serious. biggrin.gif

There has to be one game that eventually goes dvd exclusive. UT2K4 was over a year ago. I think R* feels they don't need to spend the extra money on creating 6+ cds per box, considering the cheap price of dvd-roms.

GTAKhaoZ
  • GTAKhaoZ

C'mon SA:PC! Now to get a better PC...

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Apr 18 2005, 12:44)
/* being that i have a dvd-drive, im not really concerned one way or the other. however it does concern me that R* is intentionally alienating one (very-popular) medium for software, and forcing those of you without a dvd-drive to buy one. if nothing else, they should release it on both, like pretty much every other game in existence. Hell, atleast go the UT2K4 method, and give the dvd-version a bunch of extra and special stuff to justify that extra space. Farcry, Doom, UT, all are available on multiple cd's. If dvd drives are so popular, why didnt these guys go dvd-exlusive, hmm? because they're not stupid, and know people WILL buy the cd versions, and NOT everyone has, or wants to use their dvd drive for gaming.

we can take the exact same scenario we have here, and apply it to the games i mentioned above, which are all fairly system intensive, requiring a fairly modern pc. so why did they do cd releases then? */

YES! Finally, someone else on my side. My PC is over 4 years old, didn't come with a DVD drive and I am 24 friggin' years old. I have better ways of spending my money than buying a DVD-ROM just to play one game. Until DVD exclusivity becomes the norm, I plan to continue to buy games and such on CD-ROM. Anyway, if SA does come out on DVD only, I'll just wait until I get my own top-notch PC after I graduate from college. No prob.

throwawayyy
  • throwawayyy

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (GTAKhaoZ @ Apr 19 2005, 08:08)
I'll just wait until I get my own top-notch PC after I graduate from college. No prob.

If you're going for top-notch, you might as well get a dvd burner. They cost about 100$ canadian, and can playback cds/dvds, and burns cds/dvds as well.

GTAKhaoZ
  • GTAKhaoZ

C'mon SA:PC! Now to get a better PC...

• Members

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

Yeah I thought about that, ballofsnow. I thought about either a combo drive (dvd-rom/dvd-burner) or dual drives. Either way, I always planned on going DVD drive, but I just didn't see the real need for it now.

cjpluss
  • cjpluss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Beretta @ Mar 27 2005, 14:19)
CDs are past, DVD is the future.
Fits more and... anyway, forget CDs.

And after DVD's we have HD-DVDs (20GB, 40GB dual layer) or more likely Blu-Ray (25GB, 50GB dual layer, up to 200GB multiple layer)

VC Hacker
  • VC Hacker

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

There isn't much DVD-ROM software because many people didn't have DVD-ROM drives. I think was because people didn't feel the need for them because of the dearth of DVD-ROM software and no desire to play DVD movies on the PC. It's kind of a vicious cycle. I'm glad rahkstar2.gif has gone this route and forced everyone to upgrade to DVD-ROM drives and pave the way for other developers to release their games only on DVD. It's about time anyway.

JLC
  • JLC

Monday Morning Lunatic

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (VC Hacker @ Apr 27 2005, 21:22)
I'm glad rahkstar2.gif has gone this route and forced everyone to upgrade to DVD-ROM drives and pave the way for other developers to release their games only on DVD. It's about time anyway.

yeah, yeah... now becuase rahkstar2.gif i have to buy a DVD-r.... confused.gif well, i need it anyway....

OnePissedTeddy
  • OnePissedTeddy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:37 AM

i was wondering if anyone knows how efficient san andreas will run on a DVD rom? if so does it matter what type of 3dfx card you have, i mean i have a 64mb graphics card (G-force Mx 400).

riahc3
  • riahc3

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Apr 18 2005, 01:28)

@riah - Yeah but its only the first models of DVD-ROM's that had this problem, it would be rare to find a DVD-ROM that doens't support this.

Yea but even still some cheap yet modern ones dont support dual layer.....
99.999999999.....% of DVD drives support and can read DVD-DL

klingenm
  • klingenm

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (OnePissedTeddy @ Apr 28 2005, 06:37)
i was wondering if anyone knows how efficient san andreas will run on a DVD rom? if so does it matter what type of 3dfx card you have, i mean i have a 64mb graphics card (G-force Mx 400).

Well, the perfomance of the game has nothing to do with what kinda medium its on. I dont know any exact figures as of access times DVD-rom vs CD-rom, but dont think they are big enough to make differense. Since you install the game to the harddrive you dont use the DVD much(if at all) during play.
The advantage w/ DVDs is the much larger storagespace comared to a CD... not performance aspects. As for your harware specs, they are as important as before..

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

Ok this is stupid

rockstar games just lanched the PC and X-box section of the SA site

http://www.rockstarg.../sanandreas/pc/

look what logo is at the bottom of the page

user posted image

PC CD rom? wtf? thought it was only DVD

the plot thickens.

Sin5k4
  • Sin5k4

-

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:33 PM

yeah,ive noticed that too,is that a last minute decision or a mistake?maybe us version will be 5cds and europe version will still be dvd,weird confused.gif

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:27 PM Edited by bob the noob, 30 April 2005 - 11:31 PM.

QUOTE (Sin5k4 @ Apr 30 2005, 15:33)
yeah,ive noticed that too,is that a last minute decision or a mistake?maybe us version will be 5cds and europe version will still be dvd,weird  confused.gif

maybe some smaller places outside E.U. and North America will get a cd rom version...***EDIT*** or maybe it a marketing ploy tounge.gif *** ... i've sent off another email to reconfirm but as far as i know north americian and EU will be DVD only....

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

GTA:SA PC- 7.6.05

• Members

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:17 AM

Well, just have to see whats in your shop when it comes out, but i'm getting a DVD ROM fitted tomorrow.

DigitalD
  • DigitalD

bvlgari

• Members

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (GTAKhaoZ @ Apr 19 2005, 07:08)
YES! Finally, someone else on my side. My PC is over 4 years old, didn't come with a DVD drive.

If your PC didnt come with a DVD drive then probably the rest of the parts are so old that you wont be able to play San Andreas anyway - even if it was on multiple CDs.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE (silver007 @ May 1 2005, 07:16)
Ok this is stupid

rockstar games just lanched the PC and X-box section of the SA site

http://www.rockstarg.../sanandreas/pc/

look what logo is at the bottom of the page

user posted image

PC CD rom? wtf? thought it was only DVD

the plot thickens.

Well its been confirmed by Rockstar as being on DVD-ROM, dunno if its a placeholder for the actual DVD logo. It is possible that Rockstar may regionalise the game by giving the US CD and the UK DVD as FarCry and a few other games were.

MISTO
  • MISTO

Fries eater

• Members

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:54 AM

dvd only because "8 speed DVD-ROM Drive" is writen in minimum spec...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users