Photo

U.S. PSP Release

124 replies to this topic
GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:41 PM

Welp, I just got home from purchasing a shiny new PSP with Ridge Racer. I'm going to buy Wipeout Pure this weekend too. So, who all has bought one? What do you think of it? Personally, I didn't think it would be nowhere near as small as it is, but damn it has a lot of power. Ridge Racer looks very nice on the system cool.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:14 PM

I'm not getting it until I'm sure it's not going to crap out in a year. So all you lab rats can test it out, and I'll be sitting here with my money. I'll probably also pay less in a year.

Digtl vl
  • Digtl vl

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:47 PM

You, are a fool, lol.

I wish i could buy one. I have no money right now. So it is not possible for me to get one.

I have been following info on the PSP for a year now or so, and now I am stuck with not enough money for it. It sucks.

There is no way the PSP will crap out in a year, i guess u havent heard of all the features it has.

Currently the only problem that a lot of people are having is dead pixels on their psp. Usually it is just 1 or 2 but for some it is around 6 or so. Luckly some stores like Gamestop have their own warrenty for the PSP for an extra 20 or 30 bucks that protects against that stuff. However the built in warrenty for the PSP does not include dead pixels. So be sure to get a seperate one if u are worried or bothered about that stuff.

Hobbes27
  • Hobbes27

Jew

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:48 PM

Well, I had mine reserved from gamestop. I called to make sure its there, and they said "Sorry, we are out of stock." I then say,"I reserved it and payed it in full upfront." They go, when you reserve it, it guarntees you get one as long as they continue to manufacture it. We currently have none in the store, so you will have to wait for the next shipment." I go god damnit, then hang up. Next shipment should be here three to four days, those bastards.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:10 AM

Yeah well for any Aussies wanting a PSP DVDCrave who are both a Online store and a brick's and mortar store(Adelaide) are getting US PSP's shipped to Australia by next week which I believe is way before they are officially being released in Australia. This works due to the PSP being region free and the store suppling Australian standard AC adapters. What's also great is that they have a Value Deal which includes the PSP, A Pair of 32MB Memory Sticks, AC Adapter, Demos, headphones, soft leather case plus more etc. I would get it if I had a spare 445 bucks lying around.

I havne't been following the PSP much except for when GT4 is mentioned so I am I right in saying that its more than a handheld? Ie. it has multimedia features like MP3 and stuff like that.

Harlem
  • Harlem

The Renegades

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:16 AM

After weighing out whether or not this is worh it or not, I decided that it isn't one of things on top of my to buy list. Maybe some other time but I'm really counting on purchasing some other non-game related things in the near future.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:17 AM

I got mine. It is so mind-bendingly addictive that I can guarantee I'll still be playing Lumines even if it "craps out" in a year.

@gtaguy - They were out of Ridge Racer. sad.gif I bought Lumines, and signed up for Gamefly. I'm planning on buying Wipeout Pure, Tiger Woods, and Metal Gear Ac!d sometime in the next month.

If you got hte cash, buy it. It is f*cking pure badassery.

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:18 AM

Luckily from the looks of things my PSP doesn't have a single dead pixel, which is good smile.gif

Digtl vl
  • Digtl vl

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:22 AM

I wish i had the money to buy one. I am trying to save up but in the meantime. I started a conga line thing on my own website so that I could maybe get one that way. lol

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Mar 25 2005, 10:40)
Yeah well for any Aussies wanting a PSP DVDCrave who are both a Online store and a brick's and mortar store(Adelaide) are getting US PSP's shipped to Australia by next week which I believe is way before they are officially being released in Australia. This works due to the PSP being region free and the store suppling Australian standard AC adapters. What's also great is that they have a Value Deal which includes the PSP, A Pair of 32MB Memory Sticks, AC Adapter, Demos, headphones, soft leather case plus more etc. I would get it if I had a spare 445 bucks lying around.

I havne't been following the PSP much except for when GT4 is mentioned so I am I right in saying that its more than a handheld? Ie. it has multimedia features like MP3 and stuff like that.

Gee only 445. I could buy a PS2 with that new logitec wheel for a bit more than that. I must admit the PSP looks impressive though, but not enough for me to buy one.

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:31 AM Edited by JIMMY12, 25 March 2005 - 12:35 AM.

I was going to get one today, but none of the games released so far have interested me much, and I'll have to wait for the price to go down. I'll definitely have one by the time the GTA for the PSP comes out.

Would the PSP had cost that much more if they put in a 500 MB or 1 GB internal hard drive like in an Ipod shuffle? I'm kind of pissed that it only comes with 32 MB in a removable card, and if you want more storage, you have to buy it yourself.

Devyl
  • Devyl

Wait; I have a .GIF for that.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:36 AM

I pick mine up saturday! biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to it as this will give me yet ANOTHER reason to keep sitting on my arse.

SBizz6
  • SBizz6

old school

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

Holy sh*t, the PSP is sweet as hell. My friend got one and I tried it out. I am extremely impressed with it. I'm probably going to have to buy one now.
My advice to anyone debating on whether or not to get it is to definately buy it. It's great...

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:13 AM

Got mine aswell but haven't used it much as I had a midterm today then work. FIFA isn't out yet so I also had no game but I bought NFSUR before work. Game selection here sucks but my best buy had like 100 psp's in a locked cabinet. So sad that it has that and then the Hobbes27 GS is out of stock. Funny thing is some K-marts released it on Monday this week.

Hobbes27: Canada doesn't have a gamestop but it sounds like the way your gamestopped works is not according to precedure. They are supposed to notify you of what shipment you are on. 1st and 2nd were today.

iamdigitalman
  • iamdigitalman

Going back to my roots...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:58 AM Edited by iamdigitalman, 25 March 2005 - 04:00 AM.

yeah, I'm holdin the sexy beast in my hands. DAMN, that was alot of packaging. but I'm gonna keep it all. I went to gamestop today, didnt reserve it. luckily, I was lucky. I asked them if they had any left, and they asked if I preordered it. I said no, so the guy tells the other guy to go in the back "bottom shelf" he sez. the dude comes out 30 seconds later, holing the box up, saying 'last one'. I assume that was the last one for the non preorerees. I payed $264.99 up front. no games as of yet, but god damn, I want ridge racer. the Duo is small. I have 4 MP3s and 8 JPEGs and it says 13mb left. that's not enough. I tryed sending a vid, but it is in the wrong format. I had a USB A to Mini B cable on hand, so I plugged it in to my crap tower, it came up found new hardware, and I was all set. It only comes up if you have it in USB connect mode. I am halfway through Spiderman 2, and I have seen all there is on the Sample UMD. the batt is spent, so it's charging right now. It also has alot of my greasy fingerprints all over it. thanks, sony for the cloth!!. here ase some tips:

--dispite what it says in the quick start guide, DO NOT charge the batt right out of the box. when they are manufactured, the batts are fully charged, but they deplete in shipping. there should be some power left. when I turned mine on, I had 2 out of Three bars. enough for an hour and a half with WiFi on, watching a video. If you charge the battery if it is not fully depleted, it WILL NOT take a full charge in time. eventually, the battery wont hold any charge. do a DEEP CYCLE: fill discharge, full charge.

--go out and buy a larger capacity Duo, or even better, a Duo Pro. this thing can read both types. (look on the outer box. it says so somewhere on the back!! ). Sorry sony, but 32mb is just not enough. for $250, we should have gotten AT LEAST 128mb.

--go outside from time to time. dont spend all your time playing this thing. it needs rest too. remember, it has FIVE processors to look after, and needs some time to cool off (mine is very warm. probibly from all the playing, and the fact it is now charging. )

well,enjoy your expensive $250 dollar toy. enjoy your spring breaks with this thing. AMF 4ever. -digital wink.gif

EDIT: I also foregot to mention I have no games for this yet. the system it's self nearly wiped me out. I will go get Ridge Racer on Sunday, as that is when I get mah monay. AMF 4ever. -digital wink.gif

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:03 AM

@iamdigitalman - Glad you love it too.

Here are some tips:

1. GameFAQs. Go to their PSP hardware FAQs, and you'll see a video conversion FAQ. I haven't tried it yet, but I shall.

2. Don't waste another $100-200 on a Sony Pro Duo. Sandisk makes pro duo cards aswell, and they work just as well. For half the price, about.

3. Try your local rental shops. I heard lots of stores are renting PSP games.

4. Yeah, my batt was good to go right out of the box.

Hobbes27
  • Hobbes27

Jew

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:32 AM Edited by Hobbes27, 25 March 2005 - 05:34 AM.

Anuj is very correct. Get a San Disk duo pro. Here is one thats 512 mb for 60 bucks. You just saved at least 20 bucks.

Thorpe
  • Thorpe

Luke

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:11 PM

After seeing the GameSpot crew on streaming video getting their Sony PSP it made me so healous. Unfortunately I do not have 180 for one since I have bought a Nintendo DS for 99. May have to wait until Christmas until I get mine (well, the U.K. release date may be then if it collides with South Korea).

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

Gah, I don't get the portable craze. I don't need to play games everywhere I go. tounge.gif

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:25 PM Edited by YoYo-Pete, 25 March 2005 - 02:38 PM.

The point of it is you can play without monoplolizing the whole entertainment system.

I think I have about 3 dead pixels. There are all in a tiny row. They are always white. At the very bottom of the screen on the left side, right where it says loading in Spiderman 2 the game when it boots. My extended warrenty will give me a free replacement though (so they told me).

The square button issue was the Japan release. Sony supposidly fixed it.
I got the Best Buy extended warrenty just in case.

Someone said something about the memory stick it supports.

Memory Stick Info for PSP

I viewed some pictures. Cool.

I played some MP3s, they sound good. I only could put 4 tracks on the 30MB card that came with the system. Most of my albums are atleast 70MB.

There's a new format of audio it supports (ATRAC3plus) which I dont know much about. I assume it's higher compression than MP3 (probably what in game music uses if I had to guess) to allow more to fit on the card.

I've seen some japanese sites that talk about syncing it with iTunes. Unfortunatly most of my newer music is in AAC format. So that will be an issue, but hopefully there will be some converters developed soon.

I tried to play a MPG movie, but couldnt get it to work. People are doing it. There is some japanese application that will compress AVIs and WMVs (and MPGs) into some PSP special format that allows for hier compression. The manual says it will play a MPG from the stick, but I didnt get it to work (I was busy and only really spent about 45 minutes doing everything).

Check out what they are saying about that..

Here's a site that puts video content on it for you. Dont really know about it, I didnt try it or anything..

The WiFi stuff works really easily, and I connected to Sony to look for updates. If anyone brings one to my house, we could play together (using linksys wireless router).

I got some lid thing that screws onto the top that flips down.. It's cool. It came with 4 UMD protectors also, which are nice. You can carry the UMD in your pocked with no worries about scratching it.

I was really let down by the games on release date. The demo disc had only game movies, movie previews, and music videos on it. There were no playable demos. I thought I would get to play some demos, then go get a game. Wrong.

I picked up Spiderman2, as I thought I would like the freeform action, like GTA has. It's okay. I wish I would have got Lumes (or whatever it's called). It's a tetris like game and looks really sweet.

I really want Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition. As I think that will be better than NFSU:Rivals and Ridge Racer (we'll have to see I guess).

Most of all I cant wait for the GTA game. After seeing what the system can do, I know that it will be just as good as the other games. There's no reason you couldnt almost directly port GTA3 to it. I think it can handle that much programming easily. They are probably recoding it for the PSP and coming up with a new story. The UMD storage size is probably a big factor with what game devs can really do.

3rd quarter, right?

I'm also excited to see the crazy perifials that come out for it... I'm thinking webcam, I know camera and cell phone are confiremed I read somewhere (wierd though), who knows what else... An external hard drive would be really sweet for it. USB connected. That's an idea.

I'm going to make mine do all kinds of crazy stuff.

tehhunter
  • tehhunter

ShaqFu2u

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

Ok everyone, heres some quick lessons for adding multimedia to your PSP.

Adding a Movie to your PSP
First of all, the movie must be in either MPEG or AVI format. To conserve room, I used Dr. DivX (Get a trial at DivX.com) to convert it into a small AVI. Next, download Rapiz PSP Encoder OR PSP Video 9 (Known to have some bugs/less customizable)(PSP Video 9 is a must download... explain later).

Now you are ready to encode the movie into MP4 (MPEG 4). Open either Rapiz or PSP Video 9 and select/convert the movies. "First Pass" is for analyzing the movie. "Second Pass" is for the actual converting. Depending on file size, this should take 5 mins-1 hour. Close Rapiz if its open and open PSP Video 9. Since this is the first time you opened it, it will ask you to connect your PSP to the computer via a USB cord commonly found with Digital Cameras (USB to MINI B). Turn on your PSP, goto Setup, and to "USB Connection". When it says "USB Connection" on the middle of the screen, click "Search". It will try to locate your PSP for you. If it fails, however, find the removable drive the PSP is in (For Plug and Play), and input the drive. Now enter and go to the SETUP section. If you converted in Rapiz, click "Output Folder" and select the folder where you chose to encode the files to. If you used PSP Video 9, Don't bother, its set already.

Now go to the copy section. The list of movies should come up. Click "Copy video to PSP" to move it to your PSP". Voila, a movie to your PSP.

Adding Music to your PSP
Connect the PSP to your computer. Open My Computer, and open the removable drive it is located in. In the "PSP" folder, create a new folder called "Music". Place your music here.

*Note: Tracks must be in MP3 or Atrac3 format.

**For those who prefer more organization with it, you can create a sub-folder in the music section to place your songs.

Adding Photos to your PSP
Connect the PSP to your computer. Open my Copmuter, and open the the removable drive it is located in. In the "PSP" folder, create a new folder called "Photos". Place your pictures here.

*Note: Pics must be in JPEG format.

Devyl
  • Devyl

Wait; I have a .GIF for that.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (iamdigitalman @ Mar 25 2005, 03:58)

--dispite what it says in the quick start guide, DO NOT charge the batt right out of the box. when they are manufactured, the batts are fully charged, but they deplete in shipping. there should be some power left. when I turned mine on, I had 2 out of Three bars. enough for an hour and a half with WiFi on, watching a video. If you charge the battery if it is not fully depleted, it WILL NOT take a full charge in time. eventually, the battery wont hold any charge. do a DEEP CYCLE: fill discharge, full charge.

Wrong, sortof. It has a new generation Li-on battery, so they don't fall under the "if you don't do a deep cycle, they won't fully charge" category.

YoYo-Pete
  • YoYo-Pete

Stand Strong!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong) the new L/I batteries actually work better if you keep them fully charged. The more full to lowfull to low charges you get will degrade the longevity. It's better to keep it fully charged, like use it on A/C power as much as you can.

That's what I heard when dealing with iPods, which use the same type of battery.

Mr.Stevo
  • Mr.Stevo

Meh.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:47 PM

The PSP is way too expensive for me.I only have $37 dollers with me and I got no job.

If I get one, I'll probally use it for listing to music and watching videos but no for games because I am soo broke.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

I check for Breast Cancer. Call me.

• United-States

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:59 PM

Il wait till it comes out with different stuff and colors like the gameboy did. I know this idiot thats bought 5 gameboys just because everyyear they come out with a new one. I'm sure some rapper will make a short line or two about it so maybe itll be big and il borrow one.

Xyphere
  • Xyphere

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:49 PM

Hopefully, I'll have mine in a few hours. devil.gif

iamdigitalman
  • iamdigitalman

Going back to my roots...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Devyl @ Mar 25 2005, 11:47)
QUOTE (iamdigitalman @ Mar 25 2005, 03:58)

Wrong, sortof. It has a new generation Li-on battery, so they don't fall under the "if you don't do a deep cycle, they won't fully charge" category.

really? cool. I was wondering why when it stopped charging I only got 93% under battery information. nice to know, because alot of older L/I batts I have and all my Lead Acid batts are that way. I didnt know there was a new L/I typue of batt. thanks man.

and is it just me, or am I the only one with the green background? on the main menu, I have a green background, not blue like in the TV spot or on the side of the box. might be my system software (version 1.50.) What version do you have?

Oh, how do I get the WEP key? because my wireless router has one, but I dont know what it is. I setup the coneection, found 100% connection, but it is forcing me to use WEP. when I choose no encryption, and coose automatic settings, it sets up succesfully, but I get a connection error when I test it.

I took this thing outside, and walked down the street, picking up my neighbour's wireless connection (100% all the way down. I may me picking up the WIFi connection they have down at the library and/or the police station, but I am more that 100 fett from either.) Unfortunantl, I'm in the same boat 'WEP KEY:" . But I dont know it.

oh, and I am thinking about getting Ridge Racers, Twisted Metal and ATV offroad fury after seeing the videos. anyone with the games want to tell me how good they are?

Oh yeah, 24 hours later, and still NO DEAD PIXELS!! Am I a lucky SOB, or what? AMF 4ever. -digital wink.gif

tehhunter
  • tehhunter

ShaqFu2u

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

Listen:

Background color changes month by month. If you want a different color background at this point, you have to change the month.

Green = March
Silver = January
and June = Pink (I think)

Oh, and by the way WEP is the encryption so people can't come with a foriegn laptop and use your system. The solution is simple: Either find your WEP (Check with your wireless internet settings on one computer, in the properties area) or turn it off on all your computers.

Jamz
  • Jamz

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

I m going to pick one up probably next week or something

Hunter
  • Hunter

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:51 PM

Alright.. I'm using 98SE. When I plug the USB into the computer the computer detects it and doesn't recognise it. So... What now?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users