35 replies to this topic
silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:43 PM

I have a Suggestion to make for GTAforums

it seems your "Favicon" isnt working at all in Internet explorer
for those that dont know, a Favicon is a Custom Icon that appears instead of the Default IE icon in the address bar
However, the Icon isnt working at all in IE,

IE has a problem that it doesnt show Favicons when you first load in the page, but it adds the Favicon after you add the website to your favorites
but it doesnt in your case, it stays the Blue E

also, when you try to look at the Favicon:
http://www.gtaforums.com/favicon.ico

you get a red "X"

However, this probelm dosent happen in Firefox, you can view the Icon fine, and it appears when you load in the page
heres an image showing what i mean

user posted image

Top is FireFox, bottom is IE
Gtaforums is one of my favorites in IE, and it should have the same Icon as Firefox, but it doesnt

so something is wrong with your favicon, you should try to fix it so IE can veiw it cause some of us still use IE

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:41 PM

Did favicons ever work right in IE? I can't remember the icon showing up in the address bar for ANY website in IE, just the bookmarks menu.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

I never use IE so had no favourites, so I just went and added both GTAF and Google (whos favicon seems to work everywhere). I did them both in the same manner by visiting the site, clicking add on the favourites menu, then clicking the favourites link. These are the results:

CBA to convert so its a (small) BMP

Edit: just checked my sites favicon and that worked fine.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Opius @ Mar 24 2005, 07:11)
Did favicons ever work right in IE? I can't remember the icon showing up in the address bar for ANY website in IE, just the bookmarks menu.

I've seen some websites which have custom icons in the address bar. I can't remember which sites it was but I know it's possible.

Thorpe
  • Thorpe

Luke

• Members

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:16 PM

Refresh the link below and the icon shows! Wow! See, now it works (sort of).

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Thorpe @ Mar 24 2005, 07:16)
Refresh the link below and the icon shows! Wow! See, now it works (sort of).

i keep clicking refresh in IE, i still have the red X

also IE dosent show favicons when you vist a wbesite, only when you add it to your favorites, firefox does show it

but i dont know why IE is not showing GTAforums favicon, it will show googles, my website's and my band's website and a whole bunch of others, but not gtaforums, only in fire fox it works

Thorpe
  • Thorpe

Luke

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:31 PM

It was working the other day but not anymore.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:03 PM

i think i know what the problem is

Both Firefox and IE are reading the favicon, but its not a proper icon file

although its extension is .ico, firefox even says its 16x16 PNG image

whatever program the admins use to make the favicon, its wrong, it needs to be a 16x16 .ico icon file, not a PNG image

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

1: who cares about the favicons?
2: use firefox. or opera.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:41 PM

I don't think IE supports them icons. Although firefox is better and safer, as so are many other browsers out there.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

Pfft, it works like a charm in firefox.

Thorpe
  • Thorpe

Luke

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Luke2004 @ Mar 28 2005, 21:41)
I don't think IE supports them icons. Although firefox is better and safer, as so are many other browsers out there.

You wait until the Beta of Internet Explorer 7 comes out in a few months - that'll show Mozilla who's King. tounge.gif

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Thorpe @ Mar 29 2005, 12:52)
QUOTE (Luke2004 @ Mar 28 2005, 21:41)
I don't think IE supports them icons. Although firefox is better and safer, as so are many    other browsers out there.

You wait until the Beta of Internet Explorer 7 comes out in a few months - that'll show Mozilla who's King. tounge.gif

Aye, still firefox then tounge.gif

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

You must admit it is hard even comprehending IE coming close to FF and Opera, etc.

DigitalD
  • DigitalD

bvlgari

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:44 PM

You should be interested then that our usage logs for GTASanAndreas.net show that close to 85% of our visitors use IE. Perhaps we should do a massive advertisement of Firefox on the site..

user posted image

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (silver007 @ Mar 28 2005, 20:03)
i think i know what the problem is

Both Firefox and IE are reading the favicon, but its not a proper icon file

although its extension is .ico, firefox even says its 16x16 PNG image

whatever program the admins use to make the favicon, its wrong, it needs to be a 16x16 .ico icon file, not a PNG image

Do you not know anything about favicons then, eh? PNG is grand. dozingoff.gif

@Digi - Umm, I would actually through one of the Get Firefox buttons on there.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Jayzamann @ Mar 30 2005, 12:44)
You must admit it is hard even comprehending IE coming close to FF and Opera, etc.

Why do people get so bitchy about IE... it really isn't that bad, you're still looking at the same pages whatever browser you use... does anyone ever stop to think that maybe there's a reason why so many people use IE not firefox?

on topic- I'm using IE and there is no favicon, but when I looked at that .ico file, I could have sworn that I'd seen it in my address bar before...

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (magical_trevor @ Mar 30 2005, 20:21)

Why do people get so bitchy about IE... it really isn't that bad, you're still looking at the same pages whatever browser you use... does anyone ever stop to think that maybe there's a reason why so many people use IE not firefox?

on topic- I'm using IE and there is no favicon, but when I looked at that .ico file, I could have sworn that I'd seen it in my address bar before...

IE doesn't show favicons in the address bar ever. Its not written to.

The reason so many people use IE not FF is because they get windows, IE comes as standard and they either don't know there are options or really haven't got a clue what going on. Some people may prefer it, and thats fair enough. But I think the PNG filetype is the problem. I did mine with a great program: png2ico As its already in PNG format, it shouldnt be a problem.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:56 PM

Yeah what ^he^ said.

People use IE because they have it already, and don't know how much it sucks.
And the whole point is that they aren't viewing the same pages if the page has .PNG's on it. Not to mention IE doesn't have tabs, and having multiple windows open is also a pain in the balls. Also the massive amounts of spyware IE attracts.
Every browser is better than IE.

I'd go on but I've said IE too many times and I have to wash my mouth out with soap.

And I'm with EmSixTeen on this one we should chuck a banner up on the main page for a few months/weeks and see how many people we can get to actually switch to a decent browser.

DigitalD
  • DigitalD

bvlgari

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Mar 30 2005, 23:33)
I did mine with a great program: png2ico As its already in PNG format, it shouldnt be a problem.

Good job look how sh*tty ours looks when I ran it through that proggy: http://www.gtaforums.com/crapicon.ico

DigitalD
  • DigitalD

bvlgari

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (SWEETSAPRIK @ Mar 30 2005, 23:56)
And I'm with EmSixTeen on this one we should chuck a banner up on the main page for a few months/weeks and see how many people we can get to actually switch to a decent browser.

You know how ugly those firefox buttons are? The front page of GTASanAn is a nice dark orange and I'm supposed to throw a Firefox button in there? Think again...

I think it would be possible to add a line at the bottom before the affiliates bit saying "Site optimised for use with FireFox web browser" or something like that... but no ugly buttons please.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:18 PM Edited by SWEETSAPRIK, 30 March 2005 - 10:23 PM.

Your right most of them are pretty ugly, but a few of them are dark blue.

Besides worst comes to worse we get one of the guys from the graphics forum to make us a custom one.

I dunno, stupid idea I guess. I just think it's a shame that 85% (I didn't know it was that many) of the people who come here see the sigs and avatars in the ugly non-transparent way.
(edit)
Duh, I'm stupid, I was thinking about one of the dark blue ones or the "plastic" silver ones, on the main (and also blue) "GTAForums.com" page I totally forgot about color of the other pages. My bad.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (DigitalD @ Mar 30 2005, 22:05)
QUOTE (Y_Less @ Mar 30 2005, 23:33)
I did mine with a great program:  png2ico  As its already in PNG format, it shouldnt be a problem.

Good job look how sh*tty ours looks when I ran it through that proggy: http://www.gtaforums.com/crapicon.ico

Yeah, that does suck, well don't blame me, I didn't write it and it worked fine for me.

tagamaynila
  • tagamaynila

Bézier cultist

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:25 AM

Wow! 85% of people who visit the site see sh*tty png's. I guess it's the same with the boards. Poor people.

Adding the "best viewed with Mozilla Firefox" on the site is a good move. You'd actually be doing people favor.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Mar 30 2005, 22:33)

The reason so many people use IE not FF is because they get windows, IE comes as standard and they either don't know there are options or really haven't got a clue what going on. Some people may prefer it, and thats fair enough. But I think the PNG filetype is the problem. I did mine with a great program: png2ico As its already in PNG format, it shouldnt be a problem.

"IE doesn't show favicons in the address bar ever. Its not written to." Rubbish. IE shows favicons for me on almost every website except GTAF:

example:
user posted image

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

Well my version doesn't, and I know it doesn't. But later ones may.

DJNeuphoria
  • DJNeuphoria

The Dogs Bollox

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:06 AM

Internet Explorer IS designed to show favicons, it's just very crappy when it comes to doing so. A line of code I find helps is,

CODE
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/ico" href="/favicon.ico" />

It should of course be placed in the <head> tag. With href changing to rflect the sites favicon location.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:46 AM Edited by nightwalker83, 03 April 2005 - 04:53 AM.

QUOTE (magical_trevor @ Apr 1 2005, 03:57)
QUOTE (Y_Less @ Mar 30 2005, 22:33)

"IE doesn't show favicons in the address bar ever. Its not written to." Rubbish. IE shows favicons for me on almost every website except GTAF:

example:
user posted image

Same, although I remember back when I first joined GTAF did show an icon in the address bar, maybe that was another GTA site though. The image was a smaller version of this:
user posted image

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:12 AM

To me, a Browser is a Browser..... it browses the internet

theres no such thing as a decent browser, cause they all are decent, inculding IE

i see Firefox as IE with a make-over with a few features added in that i dont use

everyone is scared calling IE a security threat to your PC, when its not, especialy with windows XP SP2 IE prevents ActiveX scripting and Active X controls from running unless you say so, and with the pop-up blocker, ive never had a pop-up in many months

IE when you load in a Website DOES NOT show favicons, when you add the website to your favorites, it adds the favicon then, then it appears in the address bar

also.... what resolution is the favicon? 32-bit?, its said to use only 16-bit Favicons when you add a favicon

DJNeuphoria
  • DJNeuphoria

The Dogs Bollox

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (silver007 @ Apr 3 2005, 05:12)
To me, a Browser is a Browser..... it browses the internet

theres no such thing as a decent browser, cause they all are decent, inculding IE

i see Firefox as IE with a make-over with a few features added in that i dont use

everyone is scared calling IE a security threat to your PC, when its not, especialy with windows XP SP2 IE prevents ActiveX scripting and Active X controls from running unless you say so, and with the pop-up blocker, ive never had a pop-up in many months

IE when you load in a Website DOES NOT show favicons, when you add the website to your favorites, it adds the favicon then, then it appears in the address bar

also.... what resolution is the favicon? 32-bit?, its said to use only 16-bit Favicons when you add a favicon

The main problem with IE is not its security issues but its lack of support for web standards which hinders developers like myself when we want to actually produce something decent and IE doesn't support it because they've stopped updating its rendering engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users