• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,280 replies to this topic
spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:19 AM

... Did anyone manage to arrange the files in the gta3.img by type? Like put DFF files first and TXD files last to make loading better? ...

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

There is a basic order to the image right now. First I have the radar, then the ped dffs, followed by the ped txds, next are the weapons (dffs first). After that, I added the rest of the dffs, then the rest of the txds, and finally the ifp and col files.

When v6 goes final (or maybe I should call that v7) I want to put it in the same basic order as the VC image.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Feb 23 2006, 10:31)
Found 3 brand new bugs after a quick testing in Portland (Test3, debug):

1/ After "Salvatore called a meeting", S's mission marker and map icon don't appear. You must enter his house to start "Chaperone". After completing that, marker and icon appear.
2/ In "Turismo", there is no sound when passing a checkpoint.
3/ Cutscene actors placement needs tweaking. For example, Maria levitates a few centimeters above ground in "Chaperone" (the scene where she buys stuff from Chico and when she says bye to Claude).

S instead of T icon for Toni's missions after you get missions from Salvatore.
S mission markers don't appear for Salvatore's missions until after you have completed Chaperone (you can still go into the house to activate that mission though)
There is no sound when you get a checkpoint in Turismo
Cutscene actors – almost always get stuck running into a vehicle trying to enter/exit it to go somewhere (will normally figure it out eventually). (eg – Catalina being unable to get into her chopper).
Placement of actors needs tweaking too (eg - Maria levitates a few centimetres above the ground while she's buying SPANK from Chico)

Here's the new bugs that have been added to the list - thanks Kon wink.gif icon14.gif cookie.gif !

QUOTE (First post)
Note to GTA:LC Team - when trying to recreate a bug to fix it, make sure that you test it thoroughly (that is, with debug mode on and with debug mode off).

I also added this to the bottom of the first post smile.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:04 AM

I'm not too concerned about bugs that only happen in debug mode. It's the official scm that I'm interested in.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:10 AM

Yeah - same here. It's just that some bugs on the list might have only occurred in debug mode; I'm not really sure.

Is there a way to jump to particular missions with debug mode off (as in change the mission order)? I'm pretty sure there is, but what sort of code do I need to change?

I'll add it to the first post when you reply, in case someone wants to test in normal mode, but wants to jump particular missions wink.gif (like me tounge.gif , when I get some time!).

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Feb 23 2006, 08:10)
Yeah - same here. It's just that some bugs on the list might have only occurred in debug mode; I'm not really sure.

Is there a way to jump to particular missions with debug mode off (as in change the mission order)? I'm pretty sure there is, but what sort of code do I need to change?

I'll add it to the first post when you reply, in case someone wants to test in normal mode, but wants to jump particular missions wink.gif (like me tounge.gif , when I get some time!).

No, that's the point of debug.

Also:

Marked Man mission icon coordinates wrong – IMAGE

Broken link.

And no, I've not had a look yet, sorry.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

But isn't there several other things flagged when debug is on, things that may alter the way a mission is played? If you could just skip several missions, wouldn't that have a different effect?

I'm sorry, I really don't know what I'm talking about confused.gif , but Craig is sorta hinting at something like that isn't he - why else would a bug occur in debug mode and not ordinarily (and it has happened before)?

Thanks for spotting that link, I'm sure it worked a couple of days ago. Perhaps not. Anyhow, I've removed it, and added a brief description icon14.gif .

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

The debug only bugs are ones like the health one where debug forces your health high to start with, which is not what usually happens, then if you do a mission which upon completion alters your max health it makes it drop as you are already above it.

P.S. the replay bug is definately in the SCM isn't it?

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:31 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 23 February 2006 - 08:10 PM.

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Feb 23 2006, 15:15)
The debug only bugs are ones like the health one where debug forces your health high to start with, which is not what usually happens, then if you do a mission which upon completion alters your max health it makes it drop as you are already above it.

P.S. the replay bug is definately in the SCM isn't it?

What about the Phil's locker bug? That too happens in debug only. Plus, issues with map icons might fall into this category, since debug forces them to display "unnaturally". Other than that, I think the list applies to normal mode too. Otherwise debug mode would be pretty useless for testing, its main purpose.

EDIT: I was right - take the Salvatore thing off the list. The other two remain.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:56 AM

@Konstantinos - Done icon14.gif !

That's why I added the note to the first post - so that testers will try in normal mode and debug mode - if a bug only appears in debug mode, then it doesn't need to be fixed in normal mode (that is, the official scm, which Craig was talking about).

@Y_Less - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right (about the replay bug). I'm fairly sure it works with a stripped scm, and it works with Beta1 too, I think.

Oh, and I missed that last bit in your post the other day - nevermind, I was just curious (about the cheat thing for MB 1.5). Thanks wink.gif .

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:25 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 24 February 2006 - 07:59 PM.

I've just finished Portland (Test3 in normal mode), here are some remarks:

Bug list corrections
(not mentioned=not fixed)

Taking Out The Laundry is very buggy - the markers sometimes stay long after the vans are dead and the bomb marker stays after the mission - FIXED

Dead Skunk in the Trunk - can't complete because crushing car brings up car destroyed mission failed message (may also exist with Marty Chonks missions) - FIXED

During the mission Cutting The Grass, if you kill the taxi driver before Curly comes out, the game crashes
- FIXED as he can't be killed without blowing up the cab (windshield is bulletproof and you can't pull him out)

S instead of T icon for Toni's missions after you get missions from Salvatore - FIXED

Also:
- When you complete "Luigi's Girls" Misty walks the wrong way during the mission passed segment sometimes and
Claude pauses slightly in mission Luigi's girls when you first arrive at the club and get out of the Kurama
- still there, but does it really need fixing?

- Cutscene actors - almost always get stuck running into a vehicle trying to enter/exit it to go somewhere - haven't seen that anymore

New bugs

Chinatown is full of Hoods, both red and purple, who fight against Triads! OMG, WTF ??

Car crusher animation might need tweaking. As for now, the lid closes while the magnet is still down, so it goes up through the lid. But I can't tell if it isn't supposed to be that way (never played GTA3).
---------------------------------

EDIT:
I've just finished The-mission-whose-name-we-shall-not-speak-aloud, and it's almost done... almost. The mobsters and Don himself walked out allright... But the mafia cars didn't arrive. So poor old Sal just kept running around until I've put him out of his misery...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:07 AM

Thanks Kon - I've made the following changes to the first post:
Mission Bugs
Cutscene actors – almost always get stuck running into a vehicle trying to enter/exit it to go somewhere (will normally figure it out eventually). (eg – Catalina being unable to get into her chopper). <- This may have been fixed - look for any more occurances.
Placement of actors needs tweaking too (eg - Maria levitates a few centimetres above the ground while she's buying SPANK from Chico)
The Mafia cars in Sayonara Salvatore do not arrive

General Bugs
Chinatown is full of Hoods, both red and purple, who fight against Triads!
Car crusher animation might need tweaking. As for now, the lid closes while the magnet is still down, so it goes up through the lid

Fixed Bugs
Taking Out The Laundry is very buggy – the markers sometimes stay long after the vans are dead and the bomb marker stays after the mission
v6test
Dead Skunk in the Trunk - can't complete because crushing car brings up car destroyed mission failed message (may also exist with Marty Chonks missions)
v6test
During the mission Cutting The Grass, if you kill the taxi driver before Curly comes out, the game crashes
v6test
S instead of T icon for Toni's missions after you get missions from Salvatore
v6test

As for:
QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Feb 25 2006, 06:25)
Also:
- When you complete "Luigi's Girls" Misty walks the wrong way during the mission passed segment sometimes and
Claude pauses slightly in mission Luigi's girls when you first arrive at the club and get out of the Kurama
- still there, but does it really need fixing?

It'd be nice if they could be fixed - it just makes everything a little neater/tidier. I think though that'll be covered for the final edition of LC (whenever that is) and not for v6.

Keep up the good work smile.gif icon14.gif cookie.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:33 AM

The issue of the actors walking the wrong way or pausing when they walk is because they run into something that's between where they are and where they want to go. With the Vice City engine, they react differently when colliding with other objects. Although I think I can fix the Misty one simply be adding another walk_to opcode after the camera switches.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

I made the crane go through the lid for GTA III authenticity, it doesn't move in exactly the same route as the III one, but that one did go through the lid and I hated it doing it, very bad programing, but I kept it for authenticity.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:01 AM

This is something I brought up a while ago, because there's some inconsistency here. Do we fix the GTA3 bugs or leave them in for authenticity?

Personally, I think we should fix them and make LC the best it can possibly be. And furthermore, isn't the goal of LC to make the sort of game Rockstar would've had they had the VC engine for GTA3? VC doesn't seem to have these sorts of bugs that are in-your-face, so to speak (like GTA3 had), so I'd put it down to lousy beta testing on Rockstar's part for GTA3 (something which we have overcome for LC wink.gif !). So from that point of view, I say fix them - that shouldn't be too hard to do smile.gif .

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:22 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 26 February 2006 - 06:09 PM.

I'm sorry for giving bad info on Sayonara Salvatore. I didn't know how exactly the mission is supposed to go. The mafia sentinels DO arrive - they just take so long, which made me jump to conclusion. Other than that, the mission is still buggy. Here's my latest experience:

1/ I waited for Salvatore to come out, undetected, until the "S. is now leaving..." message. His radar blip moved a bit, then stopped. So I grenaded the cars, killed all mobsters in the area, and moved to the club backyard. There I found Sal standing and starring at the wall. He didn't move even as I shot his last remaining bodyguard. It wasn't until I walked right in front of his face that he took notice, and we resolved it like men. biggrin.gif

2/ This time I attacked the mobsters on street level, right after they walked out (3 of them). Got the "spotted" message, killed them, Sal walked out into the backyard... and got stuck, as before.

PLUS:
- Sometimes when attempting 2/ the game freezes right after the "spotted" message.
- One of the mobsters is carrying a nightstick from VC - WTF?!
- The cutscene showing Sal leaving the club plays rarely.

Just take the cars bit off the list, otherwise there's no need to point out all the bugs. Let's just be grateful that the mission can be passed, under the right circuumstances smile.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing: Shooting Salvatore through the wall with flamethrower is not related to the mission. You can almost always shoot through a wall if you stand close enough to it. Something to do with collision data, maybe...?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:07 PM

I've got a theory to fix Sayonara Salvatore once and for all, but I'm not able to go about it. But I think I might be able to fix the mission if someone creates a ped path from the back door to the street (going through the alley obviously). And normal peds should not walk down this path. But the issue is one command is used to tell the actors where to go, but the building is in the way of that path. If we define a path, the walk_to command may just work perfectly.

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

oh my god! you guys are doing a amazing job. Finnishing some of my unfinished business? good. tounge2.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:38 AM

@Kon - the last time I played it, the cars didn't arrive and I waited until Salvatore came right out and then ran around for 5 minutes. Seems to be some sort of random glitch.

@Craig - I would if I could but I can't so I won't wink.gif . I guess that if you could get that working, the timing of the cars, etc., should all fall into place with limited effort.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:56 AM

I recoded Sayonara Salvatore again from scratch. And Choofy did send me a new paths file, but it's still not working. Perhaps we may need to tweak the paths a bit. Or maybe the code has to be rewritten to make the actors walk around the building.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:55 AM

I'm not entirely sure how the paths work, but would it be possible to have multiple paths for the mafia guys to walk - one to take them down the stairs, another to the corner of the club, another out onto the street, and finally one to get them to line up. And then a line of code to terminate that if you're spotted make them chase you and try to kill you.

I'm just assuming that the current setup is one path with all of that in one. What do you think?

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

Paths are straight lines joined at nodes, any path to take them from the door to the street would do that. Also, they would be told to walk to the street and thus follow that path automatically, if they saw you they wouldn't need to be told to stop walking on the path, so basically yes, what you said is exactly what would happen.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Well, here is the path that is taken by the actors. They are created at 559, -417, 21.25. Then they walk to 550.5, -417. Next they walk to 551, -425.75. And finally they are sent to the street at 567.6875, -425.625.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

A couple random notes relating to Sayonara Salvatore as experienced on GTA3 (xbox double pack version.)

========

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Feb 26 2006, 11:22)
One more thing: Shooting Salvatore through the wall with flamethrower is not related to the mission. You can almost always shoot through a wall if you stand close enough to it. Something to do with collision data, maybe...?

The flamethrower-through-the-building thing works on GTA3 as well, so I doubt it's something you'd have to "fix" for LC. I always use a similar trick to pass the Cartel Flamethrower rampage on GTA3, shooting through the hedge at the back of the house where the icon spawns.

========

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Feb 26 2006, 14:07)
I've got a theory to fix Sayonara Salvatore once and for all, but I'm not able to go about it. But I think I might be able to fix the mission if someone creates a ped path from the back door to the street (going through the alley obviously). And normal peds should not walk down this path. But the issue is one command is used to tell the actors where to go, but the building is in the way of that path. If we define a path, the walk_to command may just work perfectly.

Again, on my copy of GTA3 there is a path through that alley that normal peds actually do use. It goes from the street, straight down the center of the alley (right through the Luigi mission marker) and then makes a 90-degree right turn, ending just before the base of the back steps. If I stand in the back of Luigi's, within 5-10 minutes I will see peds walk down this path, scratch their head, then turn around and head back to the street. Does LC not already have that path?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (pdescobar @ Mar 2 2006, 17:03)
QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Feb 26 2006, 11:22)

The flamethrower-through-the-building thing works on GTA3 as well, so I doubt it's something you'd have to "fix" for LC. I always use a similar trick to pass the Cartel Flamethrower rampage on GTA3, shooting through the hedge at the back of the house where the icon spawns.

Actually, now that you mention it, that can be done in VC as well. I guess it could be related to bad collision data, but perhaps not. I think that discretion needs to be exercised when deciding on whether or not to fix these problems - I personally think that if they can be fixed, then it should be done. But that's mostly related to GTA3 bugs - if it's something that occurs in VC as well, it could very well be simply how the game engine operates, and it might not be fixable at all. But again, I'd like to see as many bugs (regardless of whether they were in GTA3, VC, or both) fixed in LC - I really don't see a reason to leave them in. Authenticity? Well, we're not making a perfect port of GTA3, so there goes that argument out the window tounge.gif !

QUOTE (pdescobar @ Mar 2 2006, 17:03)
QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Feb 26 2006, 14:07)

Again, on my copy of GTA3 there is a path through that alley that normal peds actually do use. It goes from the street, straight down the center of the alley (right through the Luigi mission marker) and then makes a 90-degree right turn, ending just before the base of the back steps. If I stand in the back of Luigi's, within 5-10 minutes I will see peds walk down this path, scratch their head, then turn around and head back to the street. Does LC not already have that path?

Excellent work - great find icon14.gif (I'm sure it'd be the same on the PC version). I imagine that'll help a bit, but even if it doesn't (help specifically with Sayonara Salvatore) it is something that would have to be fixed sooner or later. Unless it's already been done, but I've never seen peds go down there - I haven't really been looking too much into it though.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Test3 bug report Part II (Staunton island)
Again, not mentioned means not fixed or indeterminable

There's a missing armour pickup in Arm's Shortage mission
FIXED

After you complete Waka Gashira Wipeout, Kenji's missions are still available
FIXED

It seems that the mission 'bling bling scramble' will only start if you drive with a bike into the blue marker
FIXED

Sometimes when saving right after 'A Drop In The Ocean', you can�t load from that save
I think this is the good old cessena/cesna_d bug that was fixed long ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW BUGS:

Chinatown is full of Hoods, both red and purple, who fight against Triads!

Same goes for Hepburn Heights (with Diablos). I think this is known, but it wasn't on the list.

Sometimes when passing a mission while in car, the radio will stop working.

The Vanishing building: screenshots
Now you see me - Now you don't.

More map bugs:
many display windows and fire escape stairs are see-through.

Sputn1k
  • Sputn1k

PSP owner wannabe

• Members

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

In RIGGED TO BLOW garage door dont close when you drive in, camera goes in garage.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:35 AM

Done icon14.gif - those have been added to the list. Thanks Kon and Sputn1k cookie.gif cookie.gif .

@Kon - I think that I read that the Hepburn Heights bug was fixed, but now it occurred in Chinatown - that's why it wasn't on the list. But I've added it now anyway.

The radio music stops in the car so that the mission passed music can play - I don't think this is a bug. But it's on the list too - I'd rather be sure, and it can always be removed.

I've also numbered the list so that it's easier to reference - it makes it easier for me to find particular bugs and edit the BB code wink.gif (that edit just took me about 20 minutes, although I was working pretty slow).

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Mar 3 2006, 06:35)
The radio music stops in the car so that the mission passed music can play - I don't think this is a bug. But it's on the list too - I'd rather be sure, and it can always be removed.

Yes, but the radio music won't resume afterwards, and you'll be unable to tune the radio. I should also note that I don't have GTA3 audio.

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

On the topic of fixing bugs that were in GTA3, one thing I personally would really love to see fixed is the disappearing Rampage icons. VC doesn't have this glitch - was it coded in deliberately?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users