» «
Photo

COL Discussion

245 replies to this topic
Ryan_
  • Ryan_

Ryan_ aka 4:20

• Members

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:46 PM Edited by Ryan_, 27 March 2006 - 05:37 PM.

O.k well, that building was skyscrapenew, and it is now fixed.
I will continue to look for problems.
Info on the building Thomas would be great thanks!

The colfiles really need to be tested, as of now, i am having difficulty finding any issues.
Ill look back to see what i may have missed.

edit, carpark fixed.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:16 PM Edited by benisablink182fan, 28 March 2006 - 10:25 PM.

Ryan_, if you'd like to have a look through the bugs list, there may be some more issues in there that you could fix smile.gif.

EDIT - you might be able to look into the following bugs from the general bugs list:
5, 9, 13, 15, 35, 36, 37, and 38.

Some of them are model bugs, but 5 is definitely a col issue icon14.gif.

I'll copy them over in a sec.

EDIT 2 - Here you go wink.gif...
Bug
5. If you get on a boat in Staunton, you can go around the back of the mountains and get to SSV early – if you go from SSV, you sometimes fall into the blue death (collision data needs to be added to the base of all the mountains, but only high enough so that you can’t get a boat through)
9. The Francis International Airport model apterminalfront.dff doesn’t load in-game, it stays as the LOD model
13. AM parking lot model bug – IMAGE
15. Building Shadows bug (Belleville Park) – IMAGE
35. Some textures of the buildings on Staunton Island don’t load fast enough and they turn white – IMAGE
36. Vanishing building - IMAGE 1, IMAGE 2
37. See-through display windows - IMAGE
38. See-through fire escape stairs IMAGE

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

Great, thanks ben!
So I am absolutley no good with textures, but i see some I could tackle.

5 - SSV Mountain Backs Need Colfile - No problem.
15 - Belleville Park Building Shadows - Maybe col is a smidge high. - Checking......
35 - Staunton Island texture loading - Maybe colfiles too high poly. - Checking......
37 - Vanishing building - Maybe colfiles too high poly. - Checking.....

As u can see, unfortunetly my help is rather limited to the collision side of things,
but I will test what I have listed.

Thanks again Ben.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

No worries. Sounds good, except for 13. That isn't a COL bug, but a model loading bug (perhaps Choofy could fix that). As far as I can tell, that is meant to be solid, but for some reason the LOD isn't showing up.

EDIT - Hmm, seems you edited your post before I posted this. Nevermind.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:10 AM Edited by benisablink182fan, 29 March 2006 - 07:32 AM.

Indeed, caught that last second.
Thanks for the quick response though.
Always on top of things you....

EDIT by Ben - Of course tounge.gif.

But I did miss this post by about 5 mins earlier smile.gif.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:30 AM

Everything in this topic seems to be in order - most of it is like some sort of very hard to follow advanced tutorial for making COL files tounge2.gif!

There's a few download links on pages 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 of the topic from space - as long as they were included somewhere along the way, I'd say that all is up-to-date with COL files icon14.gif.

@space - any word on what's happening with the surface flags (or GTA3-ising it, as you called it tounge.gif!)? Are they done and I just missed it?

@Ryan - any word on those issues a couple of posts up? Do you think we can get a copy of the latest COL files so we can do some testing please? I can host them now if you like (thanks to Y_Less setting me up with an account at his site), or perhaps Craig can host them. I wouldn't mind doing some more testing on them now that I have a smidge bit more time wink.gif.

Just PM me with a Rapidshare link if you want me to host them icon14.gif. Keep up the good work smile.gif.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:00 PM Edited by Ryan_, 19 April 2006 - 11:05 PM.

well, the only thing i could do was fix the colfile of the building lol, but hd failure lost it, np, easily redone. unfortunatly, it had invisable walls i couldnt get rid of, so i made the col from the dff. worked out well. wasnt high poly. get it to u soon, mind is elsewhere at this second.

edit: um totally forgot bout the mountain backs, sry. getting on it, but this second im on shrooms, so bear with me, lol

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:42 AM

No probs - whenever you get to it wink.gif.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

Sorry for disappearing. I've been busy on other stuff. Almost all of the files that Ryan and Thomas sent to me are done except the hospital one. I couldn't get that file to download from my e-mail.

And for that bug list above me:
#35 - Please place ALL TXD files at the end of the IMG for better loading. Or at least after their DFF counterpart.
#37 - IDE file problem or model, nothing COL related. And the building vanishes because of my occlusions. If there are no occlusions, you would just see through the building. I remember that it was fixed through the 2dfix files but those files are now deleted.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

I do #35 now each time I rebuild the image.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 21 2006, 04:14)
I do #35 now each time I rebuild the image.

So that'll be right for the next update?

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

#36 is some kind of corruption in the DFF file. If you replace that building with the original GTA3 building, the problem would be fixed but the building will have only one-sided textures.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

Choofy should be aware of these model loading problems - they're always in the bugs list, and there's a few in his model fixes topic.

The problem, however, is that he's not active much anymore. Craig's working on renewing his interest though, I think smile.gif.

Those aren't real major bugs anyhow - they'll get fixed eventually icon14.gif.

About #37 - do you think you can fix it through your occlusions? Or does it need a complete model revamp?

Good work at detailing those bugs anyhow - thanks wink.gif.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:48 AM

In my game, #37's problem was fixed. I was not able to see through the building in my game. It could've been fixed already and that was just an old bug.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:50 AM

True. I haven't tested it yet - it was just in the bugs topic, so I slapped it on the list to be sure icon14.gif. Cheers.

nitzkit
  • nitzkit

We're Out There

• Members

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:49 AM Edited by nitzkit, 10 June 2006 - 06:10 AM.

You know, I noticed you didn't do an update on the LCgeneric.col dontgetit.gif
Why is that? there are still some stuff wrong with the cols sad.gif

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Ok,I know, this is one hell of a bump. But, I was just looking at the checklist for LC final, and in the collision section i see three things that need fixing.
4 and 5 are easy fixes, but I dont understand 7.
Hows does this have to do with the building cols?
So, im gonna fix these cols. I'm also gonna fly around some and see if I cant find more issues to add to the list, I am sure there is some.
So, pls let me now if these have been addressed already, and how 7 fits in this section...

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

In GTA3 when the car was picked up with the crusher, the collision for that car went away (meaning you could walk right through it and the player would not attempt to enter the car if you pushed the Triangle button (PS2 controls). It's a collision issue, but not an issue with the col files. And as far as I'm concerned, it's not a big issue at all.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:19 AM

Yeah, not a real big issue, but something we still need to tackle at some point.

Is there some opcode that can be run through the SCM to remove a car's collision data once it has been recognised by the crusher? Or some other solution?

@Ryan_ - Good to see you're still around. Any work you could do on the COLs would be much appreciated smile.gif.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:48 AM Edited by Ryan_, 01 April 2007 - 02:57 AM.

I actually think it's kinda better the way it is. If your gonna get in the car when the crusher is picking it up, you deserve to die LOL smile.gif

edit: ok, for issue 4, there is missing polygons, but its not on the bridge. the ground peice is missing between the building and the bridge. so that is a model issue.
issue 5, it seems the colfile for the building is either a little high, or maybe just incomplete on the bottom. this model is skyscrapenew. who do i send the repaired file when im done with it?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:21 AM

I'll fix that up on the checklist for you icon14.gif. Thanks.

And send the stuff off to Craig please as he's coordinating the update packages smile.gif.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

OK, so I have the colfile, and ofcourse the invisable walls. these invisable walls seem to be large, but i can see them in anything. Not GTA, not max, not sketchup and not even CE2. CE2 optimize doesnt help me either. But I have a few more things to try.

edit: is there some sort of jetpack mod or something? or something like sobiets airbrake?

space_einstein
  • space_einstein

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:27 PM

LithJoe's trainer?

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:29 AM

Holy crap! It's Ryan_. Haven't seen you since MTA...but that's another story.

I wonder if these are all the collision bugs...I remember Konstantinos and I finding quite a few a long time ago (though mostly him). I think I'm going to double check now that I got my LC up to date a few days ago. smile.gif

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:51 AM Edited by Ryan_, 05 April 2007 - 08:21 PM.

Ok, I think I found a way to deal with the invisable walls. I broke the model down to several very simple boxes. Each box is its own group, all groups combined to make the component. I think the walls are gone with this method.
Thomas! Hey bro looooooooooooong time no see!
I havent tested much in LC, but I did find 1 thing already, so I am sure there are other col issues.

edit:
Ok, I just wanted to say, since skyscrapenew (the building I just fixed) is in the comSE colfile, I will check the buildings in this file first. I thought I would mention it since a few col makers posted, and we dont want to be doing double work.

edit 2: Ok, I just got a reply pm from Craig, telling me to send the files to Ben. LOL
So, I dont know what to do with the files.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

OMG, It's almost a one year bump.... hehe
Anyways, I was thinking about LC the other day
and set myself up again with the software.
I know for sure that there are still several if not
many collision issues still to be addressed, and I
decided to have a look through them all again.
However, this time I am not looking for ways to
cut corners, or to absoulutly minimalize poly count.
This time around I am going to make true and
proper collision files. As well, I will be able to
surface the files too.
If there is no interest in these files please let me
know, I dont want to waste mine or anyone else's
time with something they don't want.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

I'm really glad to see that you're back! Any contribution would still be much appreciated, of course.
As you can see there are just 4 major COL issues remaining, so you can concentrate on optimizing the collisions and surface data..

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Boo!
Wow, it sure has been a while now...
I was thinking of playing through GTA 3 the other day and though about playing it with the LC mod instead.
Any idea if there are any major collision defects still to be corrected?
Cant wait to see all the changes since I last played this mod.
Hopefully I can find something that I can still do to help out. It's been ages since I modded any GTA files.
It would be nice to see LC Final actually released in the future, but I am sure there is ALWAYS something someone can do to make it even better wink.gif.
Glad to see some names I recognize returned here aswell.
Hope to see you all more often.
Hopefully I wont get sidetracked and will post here with any collision defects I find (I am sure there must be atleast a few).

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:13 AM

The mod is currently at a stand-still as we await ModelingMan's latest update. I was working closely with him back in May-June, but had to move to a new house and had leave my desktop computer behind. I'm now back in the house I lived in from 2000-2007 so I do have computer access again. However I'm raising two boys that are under 2 years old by myself right now. So I'm not doing much more than that. Luckily everything that I am capable of doing has already been done. MM just needs to tweak the launcher files a bit more before we release the final version. I have not heard anything from ModelingMan since I moved in June, but expect that he'll pop back in when his time allows him to.

I'm not sure what the current state of the collision data is. You can download the Beta 3.1 package and that will show you what's missing. The DeLorean has received a bit of an upgrade so it will be more enjoyable to test it out.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (Ben @ Mar 28 2006, 18:16)

Bug
38. See-through fire escape stairs IMAGE

So I've found out how to fix any culling issues such as the one above:
Before / After

Problem isn't with the model's triangles, its the Material Index. When the materials using alpha's are higher than the rest of the textures (as was the case with the 2 models that make up that section of buildings) They cull the rest of the model. By reordering the materials so that the ones using transparency are at the bottom, it fixes that issue.
However, it obviously requires opening up the model in an editor and re-exporting it. I'm using 3DS max and therefore the new exported models may have problems such as losing lighting data, or other things I am not aware of, since as far as I am aware using Kam's scripts to import/export a model isn't truly a 1 to 1 process.

If this fixes the issue to our satisfaction, then point me in the direction of any other model that needs fixing, it only takes a minute to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users