Wanted: Story

26 replies to this topic
disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

hey there..
is there anyone body in this forum that likes Graphical Adventure games?
I mean the old Lucas Arts' and Sierra stuff. games such as,
Monkey Island's, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Leisure Suit Larry, Space/Police/Kings Quest, Day of the Tenticle, Sam & Max.. they're some of the most famous/faves.

if so, i am really interesting in making a game of that style, i think i can hack it graphically and even programming wise. but i just need a half decent story, as i've been trying but i can't come up with something good.. and that's why i've posted this in here.

i was hoping, if there is someone really enthusiastic about these style of games, and understands how they work and play, that you could perhaps help me out with some story line and dialogue.

ideally, for now, i'd be looking for a short story/game, cause making a game can take a long time, as i'm sure you can imagine. i'm open for suggestions for the genre, although i'd always like to make something with humour in, that doesn't nessisarilly have to be so.

thanks for any help <3

NS_Souljah
  • NS_Souljah

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

Depends...what kinda story you looking for?

Horror? Gangster? Romance? Etc...

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (NS_Souljah @ Mar 21 2005, 11:44)
Depends...what kinda story you looking for?

Horror? Gangster? Romance? Etc...

that's the thing, i'm open for different types of story..
if you are a fan of the type of game i was talking about, you will undertsand the type of story that is involved, (requires puzzles and stuff).

but basically, i just want a good setting/starting point for a story (i don't want you all going off writing mass essays.) i just want some ideas that could develope into a nice adventure game.. also keeping in mind i want it to be short.. so i'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything..

Magephil
  • Magephil

Jew

• Members

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:55 AM

I'm thinking Prison Escape would be cool. Plenty of puzzles: stealing guards keys, convincing inmate bosses to help you, fights, lock picking, etc.

And plenty of anal rape jokes, if that's your thing. sigh.gif jk

Just stick my name somewhere in the credits. tounge.gif

Reactor.
  • Reactor.

• Members

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:03 AM

That's a pretty cool idea, Magephil. Hey disco, by graphical adventure do you mean the kinds of games that are point-and-click adventures? Like Blade Runner and Broken Sword? I love those, I could help with dialogue and sh*t. So it's a serious story but with humour in, or humour foremost?

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Rector @ Mar 22 2005, 07:03)
That's a pretty cool idea, Magephil.  Hey disco, by graphical adventure do you mean the kinds of games that are point-and-click adventures?  Like Blade Runner and Broken Sword?  I love those, I could help with dialogue and sh*t.  So it's a serious story but with humour in, or humour foremost?

damn, i knew i was missing a key discription point.. yes, Click-and-Point is exactly what i mean, and Blade Runner is a fine-ass game, although it isn't very puzzling in the sense that all you have to do it click on stuff. in other P&C games, you have to choose wether you want to Pick it up, or Look At it, Combine objects, etc. I've never played Broken Sword, but i know it's the simlair style.

i guess the humour level is up to the story, but keep in mind it's going to be a short/script, it could be difficult to cunjure up lots of seriousness in a short script.

when i say short, i mean short, possibly only up to 5 locations, and a couple of characters. the type of story i'm looking for is where you have to solve a problem, to solve a problem. (ie. you need the key, but the keyholder wants some food, but the food is out of reach) it's like a chain of puzzles and stuff. it would really help if you've played the games i was talking about in my first post, for you to know what i'm really trying to say.
blush.gif

mage, the idea of a prision break could be worked on, but i feel it is too cliched, but i guess it could work well, if done right smile.gif

it would be cool if you all could just throw little ideas, out into the water, like made did. maybe it'll trigger another idea, and so on. doesn't matter how serious or wacky the idea is, just throw it in.
biggrin.gif

thank again.

Magephil
  • Magephil

Jew

• Members

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (Disco)
mage, the idea of a prision break could be worked on, but i feel it is too cliched, but i guess it could work well, if done right smile.gif

Yah, I know what you mean. You could always try and break the mold, though. Add the right locale, environments and characters, though.

Another idea: Kidnapping. Pretty broad, I know, but think about it. Family gets kidnapped during vacation (Iran, South America, Saudi Arabia, Rwanada?), starts in Hotel, signs of struggle, everyone missing, police are secretly unwilling/unable to help. Naive tourist becomes so frustrated he goes on his own search, meets wrong people, makes deals, etc.

I'm just throwing ideas out here, but consider them from all angles and think about characters/locations and see if they'd work. smile.gif

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Magephil @ Mar 22 2005, 08:29)
QUOTE (Disco)

Yah, I know what you mean. You could always try and break the mold, though. Add the right locale, environments and characters, though.

Another idea: Kidnapping. Pretty broad, I know, but think about it. Family gets kidnapped during vacation (Iran, South America, Saudi Arabia, Rwanada?), starts in Hotel, signs of struggle, everyone missing, police are secretly unwilling/unable to help. Naive tourist becomes so frustrated he goes on his own search, meets wrong people, makes deals, etc.

I'm just throwing ideas out here, but consider them from all angles and think about characters/locations and see if they'd work. smile.gif

sweet idea there, but it can't really be done as a short game.
maybe if we get one short game outa' the way, that could be another project wink.gif

Magephil
  • Magephil

Jew

• Members

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

Short game, eh? Think highschool. wink.gif

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

I'm stupid so this will most likely be of no help.
The only reason I'm even bothering to post, is that maybe I'll say something so stupid it'll give you an idea.

The only short kind of anything I could think of, would be short is some sort of escape type deal, like Magephil said.

Kind of like the last mission on SA, where you're trying to escape a burning building. Choose a hallway and get to a door with a keypad combination lock. Another hallway is on fire and you have to click on water valves in the right order to put out the fire and not burn up. In another you have different shaped keys and only enough time to choose a few of them, or numbers/symbols on the keys that in some way relate to a number/symbol on the door. Yet another with boxes or something blocking your route where you have to push them out of the way, but if you push object 1 into the wrong spot/position you can't move object 2, so you're screwed.

I don't know, I've never played any of the games you mentioned, so I'm trying to think of things that will only require one or two mouse buttons but will somehow seem more interactive than that.

If you're alone it could be "resident evil-ish" with only a few choice sound effects, or you could converse with characters like in "the sims" having only a few dialogue choices per character.
As for humor you could slap that in with the wrong choices like when the character sets on fire he screams bloody murder. (again like in the sims)

Well like I said I'm retarded, so sorry if that was total sh!t.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:47 PM

thanks for the reply sweets, no that wasn't total sh*t, not a bad idea there, could posibly be made into a game, or part of a game. it doesn't help that you haven't played any of the games i was mentioning. if you knew how they worked, you'd know the type of script i'm after. but thanks for the idea.

it's a shame that a game can't really be sold very well nowadays if it doesn't have some kind of shooting and/or killing involved, those point'n'click games where the sh*t.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:35 AM

I was a huge fan of Sierra games, dating back to Kings Quest 2. I think I got that in like '89 or something.

As far as a story? Hmm...

Your ex-wife is planning to screw you royally in the divorce proceedings. She cuts you some slack by giving you the impossible task of getting to Hollywood and convincing <insert name here>, her favourite Hollywood leading man to court her. As if that wasn't hard enough you're on the East Coast, your ex-wife has frozen your bank accounts and disabled your car. You have to do anything you can to make a buck, make your way to Hollywood and sneak onto the Universal Film lot... Or you're going to end up on the streets.

Encounter a range of characters, Hobos, Hookers, an overly energetic game show host and a flight attendant who has your number!

That's the best I could come up with without thinking too hard. It would be a comedy ala Leisure Suit Larry etc. Actually this game would be pretty long.

Reactor.
  • Reactor.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:18 AM

What will you be using to make this game?

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Rector @ Mar 29 2005, 04:18)
What will you be using to make this game?

Adventure Game Studio (AGS).

makeshyft, again nice idea. but too big of a storyline i feel. whatsthat.gif

Rufus
  • Rufus

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

You've lost something, and have to go through a story to get it back. Meeting some people etc.

Can be as big or as small as you want, I guess.

Kuiosikle
  • Kuiosikle

Who?

• Members

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Rufus @ Mar 31 2005, 17:01)
You've lost something, and have to go through a story to get it back. Meeting some people etc.

And for a plot twist it turns out you had the thing with you the whole time, but on your journey you find somethings out that you were not supposed to know....or maybe that would be too long...

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:01 AM

ok, i guess i'll make up my own mini story, and then perhaps i'll come back here for a more indepth storyline, thanks for comments thus far.

Reactor.
  • Reactor.

• Members

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:53 AM

I'd really like to help with this. I'm working towards game development and anything I can put on my resume is excellent.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

Maybe if you slowly made a few small games, that worked together as a continuing storyline. The best thing about those old Sierra games were the mass adventure you embarked on. Anyways, if you come up with a plot I'll dust off my degree and see what I can come up with as far as specifics are concerned.

smile.gif

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:05 PM

here's a little idea i came up with.

Scientists discover a secret treatment to speed up the evolutional development of a monkey’s brain, so the intelligence of the monkey is the equivalent to a human, this processes takes around about eight days. A monkey, nicknamed ‘Darwin’, is in the sixth day of this special treatment, and has prematurely reached the final stage of his brain development. Finding himself caged, ‘like an animal’ Darwin is frightened and decides to make a break for freedom in the middle of the night. In disguise as a human, Darwin, with his new found intelligence, explores the local town and tries to make sense of the experiments, and possibly find a way to get back to his primate life.

maybe the story could lead to Darwin trying to find an antidote, to revert him back to his older way of life, but when he eventually has an opportunity, he doesn't want to go back.
or maybe he finds out he really likes the human way of life, but eventually relaises he is longing to swing the trees once again and such.

hmmmm,
/me scratches chin..

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

I'd play it. I want to be a tester smile.gif

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Apr 6 2005, 14:34)
I'd play it. I want to be a tester smile.gif

lol, let's not get ahead of ourselves, that was just the basis of an idea, and needs developing..

any additional thoughts and ideas concerning my idea?

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:25 AM

In the ending he could desperately want to go back, take the antidote and realise that there really was no antidote and he's stuck.

Leaves it open for a sequel, no?

WalkerBoh
  • WalkerBoh

smells quite odiferous

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:46 AM

It could be about a homeless hobo guy. He goes on a search for a new home. Various seedy people that live in the homeless guys world will hamper or help him on his journey to find the ultimate box to live in.

Give him super powers, call him the Mystic Jerry.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:15 PM

heh, nice ideas..

okay, i've got a little story made up, it's not great but i just wanna see if i can technically finish making a game from start to finish, even if it is small. i just wanna get at least one game finished under my belt, before i commit to anything bigger.

when my little game is done, i'll need beta testers and stuff, so i'll call in here incase anyone is interested.

thanks guys.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (disco @ Apr 15 2005, 00:15)
okay, i've got a little story made up, it's not great but i just wanna see if i can technically finish making a game from start to finish, even if it is small. i just wanna get at least one game finished under my belt, before i commit to anything bigger.

i finished it.. remember, it's not supposed to be a great game, just a game that works.

here

gta phil gta
  • gta phil gta

BC

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

Nice job disco, it looks awesome imo. Now, time to get further.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users