Photo

Muscle And Fitness

1,896 replies to this topic
Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:20 PM Edited by Adrenalist, 02 May 2016 - 08:21 PM.

^
Yes. Stop throwing weights around. Be slow, controlled, deliberate. Focus on perfect form. Use this as a good excuse to increase time under tension so you gain more muscle. They will go away.

Started a new competition with my bro Mike yesterday. We are seeing how many inches we can add to our legs in four months. Most inches wins.

Kicked off the crap talking yesterday:
2OPco0.jpg

And taped this sign to my front door last night to remind me of my goal every time I leave the house.
PcAwy5.jpg

Should be a good battle... :)
  • UshaB likes this

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Best Llama 2016
    GTAF Snap Battle Season 2 Winner

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

Slightly off topic but wanted to share. I was out on Phi Phi Island (Thailand) a few weeks ago and went to a resort gym with the nicest view I've seen from a gym. It was pretty decent with equipment. And of course air conditioned, (it was 34 C out in the sun). It has glass walls all around so you can see the nice views (mountains, palm trees, ocean etc.), but they draw a shade up to stop the rising sun rays coming in.

I went in about 10am and it was quiet, there was only 1 guy there when I went. And two girls came in a little later. 

View out from the gym.

ewzgPDG.jpg

There's a Muay Thai boxing ring in the middle with 3 sides. One of the girls was doing some stretches with a medicine ball in there.

Quick panoramic.

EsOtUmE.jpg

• uzer, epoxi, Finn 7 five 11 and 5 others like this

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

So over the past few months, I've started hitting a slump which means I've skipped gym days almost every week and kind of relaxed my schedule and no longer follow it as strict as I once did. The good news is that it has not really had a bad effect and I've actually seen my body look better, possibly because instead of the half assed effort I gave for every workout, now I switch it around and may hit back or leg on random days and while I may skip a muscle one week and another the next, my workouts when I get back to them are truly felt and it motivates me to go harder each time.

Then there's another thing today that kind of shocked me. I've been struggling with nagging knee pain for a couple of years now and it has only felt like it's getting worse recently to the point that I wouldn't walk out of the house without wearing this pair of knee pads I have. Well, today I decided to run on the treadmill for the first time in over a year (don't do cardio other than the occasional 15 minutes on the cycling machine) and did an interval type where I switch the speed every 30-90 seconds and go fast then slow it down and so on for 15 minutes. Simply put, after I was done, my knees felt more fresh and instead of the bad pain that has been bugging me, I felt fatigue from my legs having worked harder than they have in a long time. It makes me wonder what is the cause? All I can assume is the legs have needed a nice sprint to wake them up and had gotten stiff from the lack of action bar the occasional leg workout and walking. Now my knees simply feel like they need a little rest rather than broken down like they have for the longest time.

• X S likes this

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:59 AM

I can't speak to the cause of chronic knee pain, but the best cardio and leg workouts for those with joint issues is swimming.  It can be hard to get access to a pool depending on where you live, but it's very low stress on the knees.  People can typically swim into their elderly years without issue.

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:31 AM

Just got back into working out since December. I want all my muscle back. I used to be so f*cking strong. I went to the gym 3 times this week. 

krypt0s
  • krypt0s

Ice-Nine

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

I've been a lazy ass and haven't worked out since last 3 days.
  • Payne Killer likes this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:48 AM Edited by X S, 15 May 2016 - 04:48 AM.

Flesh-n-bone, I know that feel when it comes to changing up your workout.  Sometimes I just feel as if I just plateau, and then a simple change in form or type of workout will make all the difference.  Apparently, the phenomenon quite commonly known:

http://www.bodybuild.../fun/wotw44.htm

• Flesh-n-Bone likes this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:35 AM

Zoobs - Awesome pics. Thx for sharing!

Flesh-n-bone - Yeah, I've been just going through the motions at the gym and not eating near as much as I should the last 6 months or so. Kicked it back into gear this month though.

You're doing something that's aggravating your knees. Do you leg extension? It creates shear force on your knees that will damage them over time. One of the worst exercises you can do. Leg extensions should be banned permanently from all gyms. I've no idea why they still exist.

Squats are bad for the knees, too, truth be damned. Squats are still a foundation for me though, so I do something to strengthen my knees before I start each leg day.

Three second downs, start the first eight weeks with no weight, then creep up slowly starting with 5 lb dumbbells. Ish works. In three months I went from a bad knee injury and not being able to squat, to doing squats again. Highly recommended. Highly.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:58 AM

Normally when you have soreness from exercise its either that you are training too much without proper resting or you are lifting more than your body can handle. Squats are great when you know how to do them. I've never had any pain from them.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

Soreness is not extremely well understood. However being sore doesn't necessarily mean growth and not being sore doesn't mean not growing.
If I workout my legs twice every week, as an example, I am sore the first week doing it. But the second week for some reason the soreness goes away, but I still grow. After a few weeks I decide to change my legs workout around a little, and then I find I am sore again, not as sore as that first time, but I can feel it. Without getting technical, it's easiest to say that your muscles simply get used to the exercise and for some reason, those tiny muscle tears that lead to growth are not causing pain for whatever reason. However I wouldn't use it as a be all end all indicator for growth.

You have taken a load off, and not run for a long time, you run, your muscles aren't used to it, you get sore. As for your knees not feeling terrible, I put it down to them being overworked, could be jumper's knee, similar to tennis elbow, which I have had from lifting and hard physical labour.

I have deloaded lately, dropped from 6 days a week at the gym to 3, shortening my workouts to about 45 minutes and focussing on nutrition and rest, and I see improvements are coming again, as Arnold says, you need to shock the muscle, if your body knows that first you are going to start out with the bench press, then move onto the incline press, and then go to do some chinups, it will adapt and you will stop seeing progress.

• Triple Vacuum Seal likes this

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:23 PM Edited by Flesh-n-Bone, 17 May 2016 - 05:24 PM.

Flesh-n-bone - Yeah, I've been just going through the motions at the gym and not eating near as much as I should the last 6 months or so. Kicked it back into gear this month though.

You're doing something that's aggravating your knees. Do you leg extension? It creates shear force on your knees that will damage them over time. One of the worst exercises you can do. Leg extensions should be banned permanently from all gyms. I've no idea why they still exist.

Squats are bad for the knees, too, truth be damned. Squats are still a foundation for me though, so I do something to strengthen my knees before I start each leg day.

Three second downs, start the first eight weeks with no weight, then creep up slowly starting with 5 lb dumbbells. Ish works. In three months I went from a bad knee injury and not being able to squat, to doing squats again. Highly recommended. Highly.

I don't do leg extensions. Or kind of do. Occasionally I will start my leg workouts by doing 2-3 easy sets with very little weight and slow movements to control it. Just something to pump the legs without tiring them, then I tend to do squats after that, but what I found more effective now (same with benchpress) is to do a couple of sets with medium weight that doesn't tire me but gets me going before jumping into my maximum weight.

Before, I used to start with just the bar and do 20 or so reps for a couple of sets then load up the bar with the most amount of weight I can by using the logic of "go hardest when you're fresh". But I've come to find out that it's more effective to slowly work your way up. It's actually easier for me to bench my best numbers AFTER warming up with the weights slowly increasing rather than jumping straight into heavy weights. I used to think I would lack the energy by the time I would reach maximum but the opposite is actually true.

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

Full lockout on leg ext. is where the greatest shear forces exist. I hate to say it, but light weight or not, that's likely the culprit. Personally, I wouldn't do them ever again. Short step lunges are a great substitution to rock the quads, imho.

I'm on board with your warm-up scenario. My warm-up consists of the bar (5 controlled reps), a little weight (4 controlled reps), more weight (3 controlled reps), more weight (2 controlled reps), beginning target weight (1 controlled rep). Everything is done quickly, one after the other. Then I rest about two minutes and begin the workout. Picked up this method from an Olympic coach. Happy with it.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

Nah, it's not the leg extensions. I had some knee issues before I started working out and I don't even know where it came from. I used to play football/soccer back in the day but I had already stopped for about 5+ years by the time my knees (left one specifically) started bothering me. Then I hit the gym and have worked with it through that whole period and only felt relieved after a leg workout. But last week after running the treadmill, it started to feel better. I think maybe the issues came from me not being physically active much between the period I stopped playing football and hit the gym. I was simply not doing much sports other than occasionally at school and they probably got a bit stiff.

I don't even lock-out fully on the leg extensions, I know what I'm doing in that regard because I'm well aware of how badly that exercise can damage the knees if done recklessly. That's why I haven't actually used it for anything other than a mild warm-up (that is interchangeable with not even using any weights or equipment) in over a year.

• Adrenalist likes this

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:27 AM Edited by Chewie, 23 May 2016 - 05:30 AM.

I got back into the gym a week ago. I love it again. I hate rest days now. I cannot wait until I get to workout again. I already gained some strength back in a week. I've been eating a lot of healthy food. I make sure my protein is high. I ate too much protein yesterday. I need 221 grams a day. I ate 260 yesterday. 

• Finn 7 five 11 and UshaB like this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

I got back into the gym a week ago. I love it again. I hate rest days now. I cannot wait until I get to workout again. I already gained some strength back in a week. I've been eating a lot of healthy food. I make sure my protein is high. I ate too much protein yesterday. I need 221 grams a day. I ate 260 yesterday. 

Keep at it, improve the body, improve the mind.

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:31 PM Edited by Zoobz, 25 May 2016 - 06:32 PM.

There's just something so energizing about finishing a dead lift set that makes me want to shout Woo! when I put the barbell down. 

Like this: 

Spoiler

Obviously I don't do it. OK maybe not out loud, just in my head. 

MyName'sJeff
  • MyName'sJeff

Schmidt f*cked the Captain's daughter!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'm gonna assume you farted more than usual on that day. Lol.

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:09 PM

I'm gonna assume you farted more than usual on that day. Lol.

No, I hardly fart. I just take a lot of sh*ts lol

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

Anyone recommend any HIIT* workout routines? I've had a browse around and not found anything worthwhile.

*HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training

MyName'sJeff
  • MyName'sJeff

Schmidt f*cked the Captain's daughter!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:34 PM Edited by MyName'sJeff, 03 June 2016 - 10:40 PM.

If you wanna lose weight and/or get ripped, I'd recommend it since you can use proper routines. I'm planning to get ripped later on because for some reason, work is causing me not to eat properly anymore. I can't bulk up anymore, especially when I have extremely fast metabolism. All you really need to do is cardio, lift light weights and do more reps and have short periods of breaks and repeat. You don't necessarily have to follow every HIIT workout plans.

• Zoobz and UshaB like this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

Anyone recommend any HIIT* workout routines? I've had a browse around and not found anything worthwhile.

*HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training

Assuming you are looking to getting ripped/lean. Then its easy if you have a fast metabolism, aka your body doesnt have a lot of fat. I got ripped by doing high reps (training until failure), low weights and not taking breaks in between. I would do my workout as fast as I possibly can. When im done I would feel tired as f*ck. My heart feels like its gonna jump out of my chest. But it pays off. Of course you will need to have your post workout meal ready otherwise your body will feel like sh*t for the rest of the day and even on the next days because its much more tiring than the usual low reps, long break workout that so many bodybuilders or dudes in the gym do.

So basically. What you should do is lift low weights (dont have to be too low but just so you can do a lot of reps) high reps, and less rest time in between will do the trick. Of course diet is a huge factor too if you wanna keep a lean body. And a little bit of cardio depending on if your body packs fat or not.

Ultimately some people dont have the body type for it. Some people will always look huge and bulky while some others will look skinny and muscular. So thats also a factor.

• Zoobz and UshaB like this

drifter.
  • drifter.

eh.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

I think I'm finally done with the stomach virus. I reached a point where "bad bacteria" almost seized my stomach and j had to eat a shut ton of yogurt to resupply probiotics. I can't help but feel like if I were at least 20 lbs lighter and ate healthier the stomach bug would've been gone a long time ago.

Talk about a wake up call.

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:49 PM

I have said before numerous times that I am going to try to lose my weight again. I was originally 490 lbs then I started excising and dropped down to about 320 lbs and now i'm back at 470ish. I'm going to start trying to lose the weight again because I sincerely want to know how it feels to be thin. I have been heavy all my life and It has limited me in many ways. I just wanna be able to do the things that normal people can do. 

I literally just got back in from a 40 minute walking session which I plan on doing every day. I am also limiting my caloric intake not just because I need to lose weight but also because my doctor wants me on a 1300 calorie diet. I guess we'll see if I can keep it up. 

• UshaB and Adrenalist like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

guess we'll see if I can keep it up. 

I believe in you.

• 018361 likes this

Fooking Rekt
  • Fooking Rekt

Special Vehicle Collector

• BUSTED!
  • GoSquared

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

I'm surprisingly fit even though i only do Parkour. I eat like 3 adults and i an still pretty thin, lol

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

You can do anything once.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:40 AM

I'm surprisingly fit even though i only do Parkour. I eat like 3 adults and i an still pretty thin, lol

Parkour is a sport in its own. There are so many factors that play into it: balance, speed, strength, finding an equilibrium between all three can make you an artist. For me, I have tremendous balance and I'm pretty quick, but I lack the confidence to do anything crazy, and rightfully so because it's a pretty dangerous activity depending on your environment.

The one time I actually performed parkour out of necessity was on this local trail, where my buddies and I decided to walk along the creek instead of the dirt path. Lots of downed trees and big rocks in the river made a sweet path for us to follow, but some of the jumps were pretty long, the rocks were wet, not to mention I wasn't in good condition. The first run I cleared the river without falling into the water (one of my friends bit it on this run though), but the second run I slipped and got my feet wet. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'd hapilly do it all over again, maybe faster though. :p

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:53 PM Edited by Switch__, 21 June 2016 - 07:53 PM.

Someone got arrested at my gym today lmao. The cops were wearing normal clothes, i still have no idea why he even got arrested. It's not everyday something like that happens in the gym :p

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:29 PM

Someone got arrested at my gym today lmao. The cops were wearing normal clothes, i still have no idea why he even got arrested. It's not everyday something like that happens in the gym :p

>arrested at the gym

>cops dressed like civilians

Sounds like someone got pinched for the sale of a controlled substance, probably steroids.

• Switch likes this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

I have said before numerous times that I am going to try to lose my weight again. I was originally 490 lbs then I started excising and dropped down to about 320 lbs and now i'm back at 470ish. I'm going to start trying to lose the weight again because I sincerely want to know how it feels to be thin. I have been heavy all my life and It has limited me in many ways. I just wanna be able to do the things that normal people can do. 

I literally just got back in from a 40 minute walking session which I plan on doing every day. I am also limiting my caloric intake not just because I need to lose weight but also because my doctor wants me on a 1300 calorie diet. I guess we'll see if I can keep it up. 

Outstanding. Look forward to seeing you post up your progress. :)

Here's something for you, for your journey. Start listening until he mentions "gotu kola." It's early on in the interview. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TOY6s3yarbs

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

I have been walking everyday except the day after I had gotten cramps in both my legs and 

Spoiler

As of now i'm about 463 lbs so I have been losing slowly. I remember that when I tried losing weight before that I was dropping 7 - 10 lbs a week. So this is slow compared to before but I also know that it's not good to lose weight too fast either.

Anyway, i'm still kinda beating myself up for getting lazy and gaining all that weight back but I think a lot of the reason why I stopped exercising and started binge eating was because of my depression sneaking up on me. The thing is that I know better than to binge eat so I still blame myself. "But now i'm back and I know what I've been missing"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users