Muscle And Fitness

1,321 replies to this topic
Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

If you employ proper periodization with a split program, there's no issue. Though i agree a full body program is better for beginners, a properly programmed split will not hamper recovery time.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

I tried full-body for a year when I started going to the gym, and I agree it's good for beginners because you gently get used to exercises etc.

However, I will say I saw much better gains as soon as I switched to a split program. I also became stronger much faster and could exert myself fully.

Rjeev142
  • Rjeev142

Snitches get stitches

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 21:41)

You weight 80 kg at 6 foot? Imagine weighing at 63 like me at the same height confused.gif bored.gif

Trust me, as someone who's 5'5, I would kill to be 6ft.

Anyway if someone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.
After nearly 3 years of lifting, I have made some substantial gains from when I started, however...I haven't put on ANY muscle mass in the last year and my weight has remained the same at 155lbs or about 70kg. I eat quite a bit in terms of nutrition and more specifically I typically eat 130 grams of protein a day. I go to the gym about 3 days a week where I do:
4 sets of bicep curls-35lbs/8reps/2sets and 40lbs/6reps/2sets
3 sets of bench press- 145lbs/6reps/3sets
4 sets of tricep extension- 25lbs/8-10reps/4sets
4 sets of standing shoulder press- 25lbs/8-10reps/4sets
4 sets of leg extension-100lbs/10reps/4sets

Once a week I also do some cardio by biking 10 miles within 30 minutes or so.

My goal is to ultimately weigh about 165 lbs within the next 4 years.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Reason you're not putting any weight on is because you're not lifting for progressive resistance. You're doing the same exact exercises with the same exact weights with the same amount of volume every single week. I recommend changing your program up and focusing on trying to add weight to the bar at least every 2-3 weeks or so.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:49 PM Edited by TonyZimmzy, 27 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

QUOTE (Rjeev142 @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 14:28)
QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 21:41)

You weight 80 kg at 6 foot? Imagine weighing at 63 like me at the same height confused.gif bored.gif

Trust me, as someone who's 5'5, I would kill to be 6ft.

Anyway if someone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.
After nearly 3 years of lifting, I have made some substantial gains from when I started, however...I haven't put on ANY muscle mass in the last year and my weight has remained the same at 155lbs or about 70kg. I eat quite a bit in terms of nutrition and more specifically I typically eat 130 grams of protein a day. I go to the gym about 3 days a week where I do:
4 sets of bicep curls-35lbs/8reps/2sets and 40lbs/6reps/2sets
3 sets of bench press- 145lbs/6reps/3sets
4 sets of tricep extension- 25lbs/8-10reps/4sets
4 sets of standing shoulder press- 25lbs/8-10reps/4sets
4 sets of leg extension-100lbs/10reps/4sets

Once a week I also do some cardio by biking 10 miles within 30 minutes or so.

My goal is to ultimately weigh about 165 lbs within the next 4 years.

If you wanna make some gains, it isn't overly gonna matter about taking in 130g of protein a day. Sure, keep doing that, but you wanna eat like 2-3x your protein intake of carbs -- that's where you're gonna see the bulk coming in, unless you're after that lean swimmer body.

Example from what Irviding said. On your current schedule, e.g. do:

4 sets of bicep curls-35lbs for 8 reps - 40lbs for 6 reps - 45lbs for 4 reps, max till failure.
3 sets of bench press- 125lbs - 12 reps - 145lbs 6 reps - 165lbs till failure. Drop that bar on your fuggen head, boy.

You get the drift wink.gif

Then when you can do the 145lbs for 6 reps too easily, it's time to up it to 155lbs for 6 reps, or try, even if you get 5 out. You'll hit 6 eventually, then you up it again. Gaaaaainz.

Today I focused on the ol' chesticles and I diddd:

Flat bench press w/ bar: 50kg for 12 reps -- 60kg for 10 reps -- 70kg for 8 reps -- 80kg till failure (5)
Incline bench press w/ bar: 50kg for 12 reps -- 60kg for 10 reps -- 70kg for 8 reps -- 80kg till failure (4)
Decline bench press w/ bar: 50kg for 12 reps -- 55kg for 10 reps -- 60kg for 10 reps -- 65kg till failure (9)
Flat bench press w/ dumbells (single/alternating arms each rep): 20kg for 10 reps -- 22.5kg for 10 reps -- 25kg for 8 reps -- 25kg till failure (7)

Then I did some triceps and abs, no flys today but I usually would, but I won't go into that. I'm not looking to bulk, otherwise I'd of ate a f*ckoff load worth of about 25g protein and 120g carbs after that sh*t. I'm cutting at the moment, so I'm walking around at about 63kg (135ish lbs). sleepy.gif

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

So there is no back work In your routine except trapezius from Shoulder pressing?

Dude start some back work asap, and some abs, I would also recommend some leg work, and like mentioned, change your routine every month.

chuckberry04
  • chuckberry04

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 01:20)
I tried full-body for a year when I started going to the gym, and I agree it's good for beginners because you gently get used to exercises etc.

However, I will say I saw much better gains as soon as I switched to a split program. I also became stronger much faster and could exert myself fully.

Well, the only thing I can say is that every body reacts different, but in general full body is just much better if you think about it. It can also be that you didn't perform the full body workout as it should be or that you're nutrition wasn't right, e.g. do compound exercices, don't train to failure etc. I'm just curious, but do you think you're better gains are due to the fact you switched to a split program or could there be any other factors that influenced it? Like nutrition or more motivation cause you like a split program more than full body?

Imo splits are for advanced bodybuilders and truely, advanced = after years of training. Still, the very best thing to do is variation, try everything out more than ones and see which one works best. Even if something doesn't seem to work better, it can still be usefull to do cause your body and muscles need confusion so they don't get used to 1 style of training.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

I don't see why it's better even for intermediate trainees. If I am training full body how am I going to give it my all for each exercise? if I start with squats one day and truly work as hard as I should be, I'm not going to have the energy to bench, row, etc. afterwards at even 3/4 the capacity I could on days when I start with those exercises.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 23:25)
Why DB flys on shoulder/tricep day? Do you mean reverse fly for rear delt? Barbell shrugs are OK but in my view dumbbell is better since you can sort of go back and up with them to work the entire trapezius rather than just focusing on the upper fibers. Add a lateral raise of some kind, machine or DB and you're set. Consider a tricep pushdown with the skullcrushers too.

Why squats on back day? How about rows, close grip pulldown, deadlifts and pullups?

I would drop BB flat bench. In my view it's a sh*tty pec development exercise, hit up some dumbbell flat bench instead and then an incline barbell press and finish off with some kind of fly variation, whatever you want. Hammer curls are more of a brachialis/forearm workout than something you can use a primary bicep exercise. I would make sure you have a standard BB or DB curl if you are including hammers also.

Legs looks good

Jaypricemann gave me a modified workout plan and I took some of your advice, I appreciate it very much. I noticed when I flex my forearms, I have this big bulge on the thick part of my forearm, so those hammer curls really did do something. I'm going to stop doing them for now I think.

Headed to the gym this afternoon, going to get some flexibility training and start my routine icon14.gif

Gotta stop drinking so much coffee too, its killling my appetite and makes my muscles feel weak. No wonder I'm so bedridden. Atleast it helps me focus on my studies

DrDucky
  • DrDucky

3 days left!

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

can someone explain intermittent fasting to me? i just heard about it today.

& i want to know some pros about splitting my work outs because ive been doing full body since i started lifting a year ago & that sh*ts getting REAL f*ckING OLD lol.

last thing, will i see visible progress/gains on a muscle group quicker when doing split days or full body?

im kinda novice still

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

^Intermittent fasting is generally for losing weight, is that your goal?

About split routines and regular ones, well i'm just going to tell you to google it, I couldn't be stuffed explaining, or wait for someone else to come explain.
I will tell you that split routines are much better after you've been working out for a while, in terms of gains, it's hard to gauge, in terms of interest, it's much better, you don't get so bored, and when it comes to the final part of the workout, it isn't a huge drag, it's much easier to stay focussed the whole workout.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

As a novice you should see visual gains doing anything CORRECTLY in the gym

Intermittent fasting is mostly for fat loss, but you can use it for any goal really. A lot of guys lean bulk on it or just recomp (maintain weight and slowly lose fat) - it's an 8 hour feeding window during the day essentially and 16 hours fasted. It is assumed you sleep for 8 hours so you double that fast into the morning hours/early afternoon then break your fast.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:15 AM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 05 July 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Yeah there is a popular IF program I saw on BB.com awhile back. I think It's called Lean Gains? Seems to be pretty effective. I actually find that gaming helps me out quite a bit when I IF, keeps your mind occupied, less thinking about food.

Just got a couple different pre workouts again after not using them for awhile. Holy hell does it make such a difference for me... So much more focused and motivated.

I've been leaning up quite a bit since a week long extremely demanding hike in the Andes and now I've been playing a good amount of tennis.. been drinking amino acids during play, hopefully that helps stunt muscle loss ( not sure if it Actually helps ). Weight wise I've been pretty steady. Still over 200 lbs at 6 ft tall.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'd say they help. Are you drinking BCAAs? They are my secret to maintaining muscle/gaining strength on my cut that I have been on for 3 months now. I've cut about 20 lbs and I've added weight to all my major lifts.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:11 AM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 05 July 2013 - 07:58 AM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 00:21)
I'd say they help. Are you drinking BCAAs? They are my secret to maintaining muscle/gaining strength on my cut that I have been on for 3 months now. I've cut about 20 lbs and I've added weight to all my major lifts.

Nice.

Yep, I have a few that I had left over from the last time I cut up a bit, I don't really use them over winter when I'm trying to bulk up.not doing much cardio activity. I have some from BSN, and my favorite, the old bodybuilding.com BCAAs which had caffeine in it... they got discontinued last year so I stocked up when they were cheeeeeeeeeap. Their new version seems worse judging from the label, and theyare not caffeinated which is a negative for me.

Got a free 5 serving of Xtends green apple flavor which is quite good, I might go with them whenever I get some more.

Ohhh, food tip - Check out Walmart early in the morning for some good, cheap protein sources in the meats section.... I've been buying all kinds of pork chops, steaks and 93/7 burger patties for cheaaap. Typically like 30% off usual price.

The catch is that they are 1 day away from the "Cook/freeze by" date, no problem if you're just going to take it home and cook it the same day. They will ( in my experience ) have a big yellow sticker on them.

It's pretty nice buying stuff for $3.50/lb as opposed to $5.00/lb.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

^I might give that BCAA stuff a shot actually, I'd like to think i'm getting all my stuff from my diet, but it's worth a shot right?

Also, I was wondering, so many people look at those hulks and think "Who would wanna look like that." Well would any of you guys? Honestly I would happily take a physique like Schwarzenegger in his prime, there is no way I have the dedication to get there, but I would have it, would you guys? Or are you going for that sexy lean look?

Schwarzenegger wasn't particularly veiny, which I like, probably because they took steroids back in the day, but even if he was veiny, I think i'd be happy to look like that, I can't help but admire the muscles haha.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Man Arnold's chest was crazy.. I don't know if I'd want to be that big though haha. Certainly not as big and vascular as the others.

I always go back and forth with myself on what I actually want to do.. I've put on some good size over the past year and a half and would love to keep it up but I have now put my focus on cutting up the past few months, its going well but I miss eating a somewhat carelessly (still do every now and then) biggrin.gif sometimes I just say "F*** it I want to get huge", other times "Dammit, time to get shredded"... always bouncing around... but I am pretty dedicated to leaning out now. It's summer time for us and that makes it SO much easier to get cardio in when you aren't bored to tears on a treadmill. Grilling chicken is a huge plus too as opposed to boiling it. It's SO much better.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

^Haha I do the same sometimes, somedays I feel like "Man I look good" others are like "WTF? Why aren't I at the gym more?"
I don't really have to cut though because I stay pretty slim, which is a shame because I do want to bulk up and then cut, I think I could be happy with Schwarzeneggers physique because he isn't all veiny.

Stefche
  • Stefche

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

There is only one physique to attain.

That of the Son of Zeus, the brother of Hercules, and the Father of Aesthetics.

f*cking Zeez-brah

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

Here I am. Partially haha. I cropped it to get rid of my bunk Flex face and my small calves (that I wasn't flexing to boot.) Although they have seen quite some improvement since I've worked standing calf raises on to various days aside from leg days.

You can't really see any chest in this, it sort of blends together since its all black and taken on a phone.

6 feet tall, ~202ish lbs:

user posted image

Overall a crappy photo, I'll probably end up taking some good ones with my quality photo gear once I cut up some more.

Belgium bagel
  • Belgium bagel

[TSA] Remnant

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

Inspiration to get some more miles in, from Asics.

user posted image

If you could pick three best chest developing exercises what would they be? My arms seem to have been getting much better gains recently than my chest.Weighted dips seem to be my go-to for getting that extra burn on chest day.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Looking good Nah tso. I wanna upload some progress pics too, however I can't bring myself to be judged by the internet. Also It kinda creeps me out putting photos on the net haha. I will someday though.

What music do you guys work out to? I find dubstep is good.

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

My dad was in MMA and the semi-pro ufc rooster, so naturally when I was young he made me start MMA at the age of seven, I done it for eight years and then moved on to boxing for a bit. After a while I got lazy, started smoking and f*cked up my stamina.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 14:02)

Mobb Deep's 'The Infamous'

If an exercise is being particularly sh*ty on a given week, 'Survival of the Fittest' is my go-to track on the album.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 07:02)
Looking good Nah tso. I wanna upload some progress pics too, however I can't bring myself to be judged by the internet. Also It kinda creeps me out putting photos on the net haha. I will someday though.

Thanks! and yeah, that's just another reason I took out my face ha... though I would like to expect a certain respect from one another in a "common interest" thread I have to keep in mind that this is the internet ha.

As far as music I could really listen to anything. Loud stuff usually helps though biggrin.gif

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Nothing in my list tops some old, gutural death metal.

Hungo55
  • Hungo55

GTA V Fan

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

I usually workout with some song which will give me some kind of "energy". Example of that song is Mortal Kombat - Theme song.

@ That guy who asked biggrin.gif

DrDucky
  • DrDucky

3 days left!

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

my diet is high protein high carbs, i eat my meals between 10 AM & 6 PM, would i still gain muscle from all the food i ate before if i lift after my last meal digests? i dont eat anything serious afterwards except like a couple glasses of milk or cereal.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

Probably. But I would recommend you to lift before your strong meals, or at least 3 hours later. If you feel like the food is completely digested before you start working out, then it's ok. When you eat, your blood goes to your digestive system to absorb the nutrients and make crap. But when you lift, your blood goes to your muscles, so I'd say you rather do one at a time.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (DrDucky @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 11:32)
my diet is high protein high carbs, i eat my meals between 10 AM & 6 PM, would i still gain muscle from all the food i ate before if i lift after my last meal digests? i dont eat anything serious afterwards except like a couple glasses of milk or cereal.

Look anything I say here in this post not scientifically backed up, and neither is a lot of sh*t people say about bodybuilding.

There is probably a balance point somewhere to be found, I think you wouldn't want to sleep on a full stomach after working out, but similarly not on an empty stomach because your body will need energy to make your muscles grow while you sleep.
If you are not hungry when you go to bed, you should be fine In my Opinion.

Also drinking milk after workout is great, Milk contains a fast absorbing protein and a slow absorbing one which makes it ideal for bodybuilding if it is actually true that muscles need protein right after a workout. If not, well a slower absorbing protein will be good anyway, it'll help fuel those growth spurts you get through the night I suppose.

@Music for working out.
I actually like Hip Hop a lot sometimes as well, and yes I have listened to Mobb Deep while working out on a few occasions, Death Metal, meh it's not my thing really, I used to like Metal a lot, but could never work out with it. Metal isn't really inspiring sounding music in my opinion.
@Hungo Yeah, lol, I think the Mortal Kombat music goes better for an 80's workout commercial.
Rocky Balboa Eye of the tiger is pretty good theme song I used, kinda over it now though.

Now I know dubstep isn't everyone's thing so here's a couple inspirational sounding songs that should get everyone going. The first one is actually about body building, it's like a Guitar/Dubstep/Drum n Bass combo kinda thing with lots of that grunt kinda yelling. I dunno, just listen to it on your next workout and you'll see, no point describing it. Here's the song with a workout clip because watching something is interesting.

And this is house music, for some reason, it just sounds like inspirational music, I found it because Hutch (A youtuber) used it at the end of his videos talking about life, it's like something that would play at the end of a movie where everything has gone wrong and the guy has a new outlook on life. Or at the end of The Pursuit Of Happiness and everything is somehow right. Anyway, here it is, I suggest you check it out when you're not really keen on working out. If you guys drop a couple tracks i'll be sure to suss them out. ALways on the look out for new music.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users