Muscle And Fitness

1,344 replies to this topic
LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (kippers. @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 13:11)
So a few things i've been experiencing lately: Bloatedness, night sweats/more body heat. Also this month i'm losing any definition I had from a few moths ago, i'm starting to look fairly undesirably under the clothes.

Are these common occurrences when bulking? I've only really noticed in the past week and a half. Good sign? Bad sign? Eating too much?

I'm heading into the gym in the evenings with anywhere between 2700 - 3000 calories taken in, and then consuming another 800-1000 afterwards to recover. This usually takes me up to about an hour before going to bed, so that may explain the bloated feelings. But the sweats?

Still not feeling 110%?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Don't really have anything to add except: f*ck I love working out! It's the best feeling. I really need to pick up my eating again though, I've been extremely slack, so although I love working out, until I start eating again it's moot haha.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

I hate my fast metabolism and tall height sad.gif even though i've gained 9kg since October, both fat and muscle and i'm still thin but bigger than before.

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Rookie Of The Year

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 06:05)
My workout partner told me about this program that will help you make gains on benchpress, deadlifts and squats. He starts the program tomorrow

http://www.seriouspo...icles/smolov-jr

Thoughts?

Looks like a program made by steroid junkie. There's no way a natural weightlifter can bench 4 times a week, that ass gon be sore than a bitch!

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Rookie Of The Year

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 14:30)
I hate my fast metabolism and tall height sad.gif even though i've gained 9kg since October, both fat and muscle and i'm still thin but bigger than before.

You simply can't put on muscle quickly as a 5'7 person. Your body ain't genetically program to pack on muscle on that thin frame of yours. I use my height & fast metabolism too my advantage. I do boxing. I'm 6'4 with hell of a reach. Bodybuilders can't see me from the shoulders, I lay that steroid injecting ass flat on the cement.

You should try boxing bruh. You will see results.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Papi-Chulo @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 16:17)
QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 14:30)

You simply can't put on muscle quickly as a 5'7 person. Your body ain't genetically program to pack on muscle on that thin frame of yours. I use my height & fast metabolism too my advantage. I do boxing. I'm 6'4 with hell of a reach. Bodybuilders can't see me from the shoulders, I lay that steroid injecting ass flat on the cement.

You should try boxing bruh. You will see results.

I know, i know. I just hate the way my body is, that's all. And i cba to do boxing, got no time and don't have that much money. Maybe in the future i might actually take part in Boxing or MMA when i have the time and money.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

As a 5 7 person, you can certainly fill out a lot quicker than a 6 2 person though.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

At Papi, I'm not quite sure What you're on about, height doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of muscle gain, I mean sure,a taller guy with longer muscles could potentially put on more muscle mass, but they'd have to work out a lot more to see results as opposed to a shorter guy.

Metabolism, and your build (Meso, Endo or ectomorph) are better predictors than just height, if anything being taller is more of a disadvantage, most tall white men are also leaning towards being ectomorphs.

If you eat more and train hard you'll see results regardless of build, if you're an ectomorph you just Gotta stick to it.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 09:30)

I hear you. I'm about 6'2.5" and can't visually bulk for crap without a serious caloric load. The gains are there, but the aesthetics take much longer to follow. When a >6 ft. frame does fill out though, there's nothing quite like it. Not many people get to walk around at 190-200 lbs. without the chub.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 23:33)

I hear you. I'm about 6'2.5" and can't visually bulk for crap without a serious caloric load. The gains are there, but the aesthetics take much longer to follow. When a >6 ft. frame does fill out though, there's nothing quite like it. Not many people get to walk around at 190-200 lbs. without the chub.

Exactly. I haven't seen that many people that are tall and hench. How much do you weight btw?

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 19:20)

Exactly. I haven't seen that many people that are tall and hench. How much do you weight btw?

~170 w/water weight.

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Rookie Of The Year

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:23 PM Edited by Papi-Chulo, 09 June 2013 - 07:25 PM.

QUOTE (finn4life @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 22:30)
At Papi, I'm not quite sure What you're on about, height doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of muscle gain, I mean sure,a taller guy with longer muscles could potentially put on more muscle mass, but they'd have to work out a lot more to see results as opposed to a shorter guy.

Metabolism, and your build (Meso, Endo or ectomorph) are better predictors than just height, if anything being taller is more of a disadvantage, most tall white men are also leaning towards being ectomorphs.

If you eat more and train hard you'll see results regardless of build, if you're an ectomorph you just Gotta stick to it.

I agree . That's basically what I was trying tell GTA FAn. I ain't saying it's impossible, it just takes a bit more time, consistency and faith for a ectomorph to fill out their frames with muscle. As simply as it sounds, it just ain't that easy hitting the gym week after, after week looking in the mirror and not seeing results you want. It really f*cks with your confident s. We live in a society where everyone wants results quick, get rich quick but nobody willing to put in the work. I wouldn't change being tall for nothing, I like my height, & the ladies love it too.

For example I have a cousin who is around 6'2 tall, skinny as hell, he started working on his body, hitting gym for a few years & got swole as sh*t. All the females on his mushroom tip. That's motivation right.

Saliva
  • Saliva

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Muscle And Fitness
everything you need.

Was that intentional ?

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:02 PM Edited by GTAfan786, 09 June 2013 - 11:04 PM.

QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 04:39)

~170 w/water weight.

And how old? You weigh 35 lbs more than me biggrin.gif So i think you'll find how thin I am sad.gif

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 18:02)
QUOTE (canttakemyid @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 04:39)

~170 w/water weight.

And how old? You weigh 35 lbs more than me biggrin.gif So i think you'll find how thin I am sad.gif

19. I was in the lower 140s this time last year; but that was because I didn't eat enough calories per day with a very fast metabolism. It was also expensive eating that much while trying to enjoy my summer with regular weed use too. biggrin.gif

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

Hey, guys, I need some help.
I'm 16 years old, I weight 80 kgs (176 lbs for 'muricans) and I'm 6 ft tall. How much weight do you suggest to lift (bicep curls)?
I'm using 20 lbs dumbbells and I do 3 series of 10 curls. Is it too much? Is it not enough?

Also, I've heard this exercise is not good for beginners like me (I've been working out for ~2 years, but I really started kicking it about 3 months ago).
Is that true?

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Sunday, Jun 9 2013, 21:19)
I'm 16 years old, I weight 80 kgs (176 lbs for 'muricans) and I'm 6 ft tall. How much weight do you suggest to lift (bicep curls)?
I'm using 20 lbs dumbbells and I do 3 series of 10 curls. Is it too much? Is it not enough?

Also, I've heard this exercise is not good for beginners like me (I've been working out for ~2 years, but I really started kicking it about 3 months ago).
Is that true?

I'm no exercise science major, but I think 20 is fine. When that gets easy, move up to 25, 30, 35, and so on.

It's not that curling is bad for you. The only negative is that curling is detrimental to flexibility as it isolates the bicep without working the tendons and muscles around it which can increase the risk of injury in sports. Bicep curls also get a bad rap because they serve very little utility to those who are striving to enhance athleticism and overall strength while the main lifts - squat, dead lift, bench press, power clean, etc.- hit several muscles at a time.

At the end of the day, workouts are personal. My philosophy is lift what you wanna lift as long as it's safe. I curl sometimes for the sake of aesthetics. Anyone who lifts and tries to tell you they don't care about aesthetics is lying.

Papi Chulo
  • Papi Chulo

Rookie Of The Year

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 02:19)

Is that true?

f*ck bicep curls lol. I curled the sh*t outta 55 lbs weights on Wednesday, ever since then my forearm been sore then a bitch. Couldn't even grab the shampoo bottle the next morning. I gotta bad case of forearm tendon pain can't work out for two weeks.

Curls is meaningless ex cerise and will not get you biceps, you need to build a solid muscle mass first before doing isolation.

& if you trying build some muscle mass 10 reps is way to much volume. You working out your muscle endurance, & not actually building muscle. Human body consist of 2 muscle fibers. Reps 3-6 range is to build muscle. 8-12 strength & endurance.

If your a beginner I suggest you stick to compound exercises.

-Dead lift
-Miltary Press
-Bench Press
-Squat
-Chin ups
-Dips
-Lunges

6 sets 5-6 reps each

Hit me up in my inbox for additional info.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

You have that backwards, 1-3 is pretty much just strength, 3-5 is strength with some hypertrophy, 5-8 is hypertrophy with some strength.. 8-10 is almost all hypertrophy, 10-12 is hypertrophy with some endurance, and past that it's all endurance.

But the rest of your post I agree with - compound exercises should be the main thing in a beginner program.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

Why isn't it recommended for beginners? I actually feel good with it, I started doing 10 lbs, then 15 and now 20. I have also been doing bench press and chin ups along with some other shoulder, legs, triceps, back and chest exercises.
Building muscle isn't my primary objective, I want strength and endurance since I usually play football (yes, handegg).

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 15:16)
Why isn't it recommended for beginners? I actually feel good with it, I started doing 10 lbs, then 15 and now 20. I have also been doing bench press and chin ups along with some other shoulder, legs, triceps, back and chest exercises.
Building muscle isn't my primary objective, I want strength and endurance since I usually play football (yes, handegg).

There is nothing wrong with Bicep curls really, but I wouldn't recommend them for beginners so much.

When you're starting out working out you'll want to build overall fitness first, strengthen lots of areas so they can be better at assisting each other, you might be able to Bicep curl 25kg as an example, but if you have a weak rest of body, you might have problem standing properly for the excercise and could hurt yourself by trying to jerk the weight, it's also good to do compound exercise's so you don't develop imbalances and such, a common one is with the shoulder and it's called winged scapula, which happens when you don't work on keeping shoulders pulled back while walking around, and also if you bench press too much without back excercises and don't protract/retract the scapula.

user posted image

And this is what winged scapula looks like.

user posted image

Another good reason to start with compound exercises is because most of them are a little easier on the joints, doing chin-ups for back strength is a good way to strengthen biceps as well because your elbows are in a good, strength position, Bicep curls tend to put a lot of stress on your elbows which is okay once your joints have strengthened up and become a bit more flexible, but when you're beginning you can more easily injure them.

Another point is over-training, if you're not very fit yet, and you're doing all sorts of exercises for your upper-body, pretty much all of them involve your Biceps, if you're doing curls too, when you're body hasn't gotten used to lot's of exercise you can injure your biceps/over-train them.

I would recommend sticking to compound exercises until you start feeling strong and able to do them well, I found a good guide to be chin-ups/pull ups, if you are slim you should be able to do 10 of each without too much trouble, once you can do those with confidence and some power you can probably start to work on isolating muscles, make sure you do lot's of research, find out about agonists and antagonists, and which muscles do what, it takes time, but doing this will mean that you can avoid muscle imbalances and possibly painful injuries later on which are going to affect your training.

Also stick to it, try and force yourself to do it, even if you don't feel like it, allow for rest days every once in a while, but just remember, will-power only increases with use, every day you slack off, your willpower will decrease, every time you workout, you build routine and willpower to keep going.

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Sprouting Brass and Slinging Lead

• Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Aren't you better off doing bodyweight exercises rather than going to the Gym if you are young? They're much easier on your joints and it's a lot more flexible to work with. Besides, you cannot use the same program for more than two months or so without ending up plateauing. It's best to change up your exercise every six weeks or so.

I just tend to go over to a friend's house, we work out for about an hour every other day (Mon, Wed, Fri), and do some cardio the next day. I have to eat a lot of carbohydrates, however, since I tend to burn off more than I take in.

Just my two cents. If you are older than eighteen, by all means, but calisthenics can be very intense workouts if you know how to do them.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info, guys.
I'll keep doing the same excersices but trying not to hurt myself, I'll look out for any anomalies while doing bicep curls.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 20:49)
Thanks for the info, guys.
I'll keep doing the same excersices but trying not to hurt myself, I'll look out for any anomalies while doing bicep curls.

You weight 80 kg at 6 foot? Imagine weighing at 63 like me at the same height confused.gif bored.gif

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Dude, you are really under weight, have you talked about it with a professional?

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Sprouting Brass and Slinging Lead

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:18 PM Edited by TheJustinAllenK, 18 June 2013 - 01:21 PM.

I think a simple change in diet can go really far, that's like 40% of where the muscles come from anyways.

Try Optimum Nutrition's Serious Mass (12lb bag is a good deal) if you don't have money for adding another meal to your table.

Here's chocolate:
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000GIPJ0M/

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hey guys, whoever can help me out the most will get a spot on my respect list. I been slacking off the past month and have started a new schedule. Please skim over it and let me know what you think.

Weaknesses: Tri's, Back (to some extent), Forearms, Pecs (I have P.E)

Strenghths: Shoulders, Bi's

Day 1: Shoulders + Triceps

Overhead Press
Dumbbell Flys
Barbell Shrug
(4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps)

Skullcrushers
(3 sets 10,8,6 reps)

Day 2: Back (+abs)

Pullup crunches
Closegrip pulldown
Barbell Squats (5 rep max?)
(4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps)

Day 3: Chest/Abs + Biceps

Barbell Benchpress
Incline Dumbbell Flys
Chinup Oblique Crunches

Seated Hammercurls

Day 4: Legsssss

45 degree leg press
(4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps)

Seated Calf Raise (15, 12, 10 reps)

muppetmaster_karma.gif eat protein niggas

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Why DB flys on shoulder/tricep day? Do you mean reverse fly for rear delt? Barbell shrugs are OK but in my view dumbbell is better since you can sort of go back and up with them to work the entire trapezius rather than just focusing on the upper fibers. Add a lateral raise of some kind, machine or DB and you're set. Consider a tricep pushdown with the skullcrushers too.

Why squats on back day? How about rows, close grip pulldown, deadlifts and pullups?

I would drop BB flat bench. In my view it's a sh*tty pec development exercise, hit up some dumbbell flat bench instead and then an incline barbell press and finish off with some kind of fly variation, whatever you want. Hammer curls are more of a brachialis/forearm workout than something you can use a primary bicep exercise. I would make sure you have a standard BB or DB curl if you are including hammers also.

Legs looks good

Jaypricemann
  • Jaypricemann

Yeah, I know.

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Papi-Chulo @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 03:35)
QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, Jun 10 2013, 02:19)

Is that true?

f*ck bicep curls lol. I curled the sh*t outta 55 lbs weights on Wednesday, ever since then my forearm been sore then a bitch. Couldn't even grab the shampoo bottle the next morning. I gotta bad case of forearm tendon pain can't work out for two weeks.

Curls is meaningless ex cerise and will not get you biceps, you need to build a solid muscle mass first before doing isolation.

& if you trying build some muscle mass 10 reps is way to much volume. You working out your muscle endurance, & not actually building muscle. Human body consist of 2 muscle fibers. Reps 3-6 range is to build muscle. 8-12 strength & endurance.

If your a beginner I suggest you stick to compound exercises.

-Dead lift
-Miltary Press
-Bench Press
-Squat
-Chin ups
-Dips
-Lunges

6 sets 5-6 reps each

Hit me up in my inbox for additional info.

Allow me to interject just to say that instead of military press where you can slack on the form, more often that not, standing OHP, or OHP for short, will suffice as a way to develop the delts and back. Everything else works.

chuckberry04
  • chuckberry04

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 21:27)
Hey guys, whoever can help me out the most will get a spot on my respect list. I been slacking off the past month and have started a new schedule. Please skim over it and let me know what you think.

Weaknesses: Tri's, Back (to some extent), Forearms, Pecs (I have P.E)

Strenghths: Shoulders, Bi's

Day 1: Shoulders + Triceps

Overhead Press
Dumbbell Flys
Barbell Shrug
(4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps)

Skullcrushers
(3 sets 10,8,6 reps)

Day 2: Back (+abs)

Pullup crunches
Closegrip pulldown
(4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps)

Day 3: Chest/Abs + Biceps

Barbell Benchpress
Incline Dumbbell Flys
Chinup Oblique Crunches

Seated Hammercurls

Day 4: Legsssss

45 degree leg press
(4 sets 12,10,8,6 reps)

Seated Calf Raise (15, 12, 10 reps)

muppetmaster_karma.gif eat protein niggas

I looked up some of your posts and it seems to me that you've only been working out for less than a year or so, so I advice you to create a full body schedule.. I'm sorry but a full body schedule is just highly superior to a split one.

At the start almost all great bodybuilders used to do full body trainings, this however changed with the upcoming of.. steroids. If you workout your muscles the healing process takes about 48 hours, so the rest of the week you're just wasting growing potential for that musclegroups. Steroids however make it so that the muscles still grow after 48 hours, making it rather useless to train the same musclegroup twice. However, when you're not on steroids it would be much more productive to train every musclegroup 3 times a week, but with lower intensity than you would in a split-schedule. Also, full body workouts focus on compound exercices, which are known to be real mass-builders, not only cause more musclegroups are used but also because they let your body produce more testosterone etc.

Personally, I'd only recommend a split-schedule when:

1. You're an advanced bodybuilder.
2. Some musclegroups are getting out of proportion.
3. You're on steroids.

A full body workout will also spare you time, since you'll only have to go to the gym 3 times a week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users