Photo

Muscle And Fitness

1,344 replies to this topic
TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 14:23)
Thinking of trying out Creatine for a month or so. Anyone have experience with it?

user posted image

ph34r.gif

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 16:36)
QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 10:08)
Guys, I do 100 press ups a day and about 30 sit ups a day, will this get me anywhere? I don't want to be massive but just keep in shape and slowly hopefully improve my six pack and arm muscles...is this a decent way of doing this?

Not really, you're only working out a small group of muscles and keep doing the same routine day after day. You can only really get proper six pack abs to show if you have low body fat percentage, possibly under 10%. Eat chicken broccoli, brown rice. The trifecta. Avoid saturated fats.

Don't worry about getting huge, you never will unless you take some sort of growth hormone. Do a 4 day body split, Google a calorie calculator, eat above maintenance a few hundred calories and you will notice gains after a few months.

I have gained 10 pounds over the past 6 months.

Well, the thing is, You can pretty much see my six pack without tensing already it's just not very defined. I'm guessing I have less than 10% body fat, really I have very little fat and have quite a toned body already (Not bragging, just a mere description). I don't know of all these measures are necessary, are there any other ways for Improving a six pack, I've already got one, I just want it a little more defined.

EDIT : By nature I love chicken and broccoli, so I eat them not often but not occasionally either, are there any other ways?

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 21:05)
QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 16:36)
QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 10:08)
Guys, I do 100 press ups a day and about 30 sit ups a day, will this get me anywhere? I don't want to be massive but just keep in shape and slowly hopefully improve my six pack and arm muscles...is this a decent way of doing this?

Not really, you're only working out a small group of muscles and keep doing the same routine day after day. You can only really get proper six pack abs to show if you have low body fat percentage, possibly under 10%. Eat chicken broccoli, brown rice. The trifecta. Avoid saturated fats.

Don't worry about getting huge, you never will unless you take some sort of growth hormone. Do a 4 day body split, Google a calorie calculator, eat above maintenance a few hundred calories and you will notice gains after a few months.

I have gained 10 pounds over the past 6 months.

Well, the thing is, You can pretty much see my six pack without tensing already it's just not very defined. I'm guessing I have less than 10% body fat, really I have very little fat and have quite a toned body already (Not bragging, just a mere description). I don't know of all these measures are necessary, are there any other ways for Improving a six pack, I've already got one, I just want it a little more defined.

EDIT : By nature I love chicken and broccoli, so I eat them not often but not occasionally either, are there any other ways?

If i was you, i would do more situps and do something called Dragon Flag Workout, which is what Bruce Lee used to do to get his packs. Watch it on youtube. And also watch this:

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

@Sanjeem, you won't really get that far with your current routine, unless you add weights to your back anyway.

For your abs, try this little workout below, you can modify it to suit yourself (Ie; make it longer/hold weight in between your legs.)

Here's some pushup variation you can do below, that will help you get a little more muscled, also I recommend that at the bottom of every pushup, squeeze your shoulder blades in really hard, and then when you're at the top of a pushup and elbows are straight, arc your back up by pushing your shoulders towards the ground, it'll make sense when you try it.

The purpose of this is to work the muscles that hold your shoulder blade flat against your back, and that hold your shoulders back. Too much chest work with no back work pulls your shoulders forward and makes your shoulder blades stick out, it's also bad for your shoulders, I would recommend adding some chin-ups to your routine as well for back strength, but if not, do those little extra bits in the pushups, and also, make sure you always have your shoulders pulled back, because otherwise your posture will naturally get pulled forward by your chest muscle.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

The purpose of this is to work the muscles that hold your shoulder blade flat against your back, and that hold your shoulders back. Too much chest work with no back work pulls your shoulders forward and makes your shoulder blades stick out, it's also bad for your shoulders, I would recommend adding some chin-ups to your routine as well for back strength, but if not, do those little extra bits in the pushups, and also, make sure you always have your shoulders pulled back, because otherwise your posture will naturally get pulled forward by your chest muscle.

That's definitely essential. We call that chestbicepsbro syndrome - it encourages poor posture which ultimately leads to impingement. Pushups are great for shoulder health as are some face pulls if you have access to a cable machine.

As for creatine, I used to take it but I stopped and have noticed no differences. I just take whatever creatine is in my preworkout supplements - I don't load it or cycle it or anymore of that sh*t.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Thanks guys.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Sunday, Apr 28 2013, 01:09)
We call that chestbicepsbro syndrome -

Law!!

OK so I just got back from Mexico, and somehow I lost 10 lbs (how the hell did that happen) but honestly I feel great. Softball practice starts today and I'll get to see what areas I need to work on.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (arsenal_fan @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:44)
QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 14:23)
Thinking of trying out Creatine for a month or so. Anyone have experience with it?

Make sure you drink it on a relatively empty stomach, otherwise you'll throw up all over the place.

Does anyone have a good website for counting calories. Say if you typed in '4oz of turkey' it will come back with the calorie count.

http://caloriecount.about.com/

Normally gives you the servings as per 100g

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

What have you guys heard about GNC's Mega Men Sport Multivitamin?
Will it help me build muscle? Someone gave me a pack with 90 caplets, so I guess I'll use it anyway.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, May 13 2013, 11:10)
Will it help me build muscle? Someone gave me a pack with 90 caplets, so I guess I'll use it anyway.

There's no supplement for hard work wink.gif Workout hard, use the supplement, see What happens.

Graphix14
  • Graphix14

New York

• Members

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

I have that problem. But what I don't quite get is, naturally my back is the strong point of my body (besides my legs). So it's big and arched and I have broad shoulders. My shoulders are already pulled in a bit towards my chest. When I do dips, the ends of my collar bones hurt at times, which is probably the reason for your explanation. I do back workouts, but definitely not as much as my chest. Should I focus more on my back? I don't think it would make the biggest difference.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, May 13 2013, 00:20)
QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Monday, May 13 2013, 11:10)

There's no supplement for hard work wink.gif Workout hard, use the supplement, see What happens.

I've been working out for years biggrin.gif
Did you believe I thought I could get all muscle just taking caplets?
It's just I've been reading about this supplement and I don't know if I need a special diet or something confused.gif

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Graphix14 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 22:22)

I have that problem. But what I don't quite get is, naturally my back is the strong point of my body (besides my legs). So it's big and arched and I have broad shoulders. My shoulders are already pulled in a bit towards my chest. When I do dips, the ends of my collar bones hurt at times, which is probably the reason for your explanation. I do back workouts, but definitely not as much as my chest. Should I focus more on my back? I don't think it would make the biggest difference.

Nope, it will. Start with adding face pulls (look up the exercise) to your back day. For general health there should be at least a 1:1 pull to push ratio in a routine. For me it is close to 2:1 (almost 3:1) and my shoulder problems have been rehabbed.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Monday, May 13 2013, 21:38)
QUOTE (Graphix14 @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 22:22)

Nope, it will. Start with adding face pulls (look up the exercise) to your back day. For general health there should be at least a 1:1 pull to push ratio in a routine. For me it is close to 2:1 (almost 3:1) and my shoulder problems have been rehabbed.

Do you recommend doing back on the same day as chest/other muscle groups which involve a push in order to more efficiently obtain this proportion? Overall I'd say my ratio is about 1:1 throughout my week-long routine, but I do back on the same day that I do shoulders, and nothing else on that day. I used to have shoulders which arched towards the front, but putting a lot more focus onto the back has improved my posture substantially. But would I be better off if I mixed back with another muscle group?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Went to the gym today and figured out a workout routine with a PT instructor.

Day one is upper-body. Day two is lower body. Then I take a day off and repeat.

Day one

Warm-up
-5 minute elliptical

Upper-Body
-Chest Press (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Pulldown (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Row (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Overhead press (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Arm Curl (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Arm Extension (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets

Various Stretches

Core Abdominal Exercises
-Crunches (15-15-15)
-Leg Tucks (15-15-15)
-"Supermans" (15-15-15)

Cardio
-20 minute elliptical in target heart-rate zone

Cool-down
-5 minute elliptical

Day Two

Warm-up
-5 minute elliptical

Upper-Body
-Leg Press (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Leg Abduction (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Leg Adduction (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Leg Extension (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets
-Leg Curl (12-12-15) with 30 second rest periods between sets

Various Stretches

Core Abdominal Exercises
-Crunches (15-15-15)
-Leg Tucks (15-15-15)
-"Supermans" (15-15-15)

Cardio
-20 minute elliptical in target heart-rate zone

Cool-down
-5 minute elliptical

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Stefche @ Monday, May 13 2013, 09:25)

Do you recommend doing back on the same day as chest/other muscle groups which involve a push in order to more efficiently obtain this proportion? Overall I'd say my ratio is about 1:1 throughout my week-long routine, but I do back on the same day that I do shoulders, and nothing else on that day. I used to have shoulders which arched towards the front, but putting a lot more focus onto the back has improved my posture substantially. But would I be better off if I mixed back with another muscle group?

How many days a week do you train? For me mixing back and chest would result in being in the gym for like 2 hours since I use such high volume for back. As long as you don't have any issues with your posture and your shoulders are healthy, I think what you're doing is fine.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

I think that's fine man, Chest and Back together would be okay, but you would be working out for a while, and your arms would get super tired so whatever you did last would suffer heaps.

Kippers
  • Kippers

おっぱいは好きで

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:11 PM Edited by kippers., 16 May 2013 - 01:14 PM.

So a few things i've been experiencing lately: Bloatedness, night sweats/more body heat. Also this month i'm losing any definition I had from a few moths ago, i'm starting to look fairly undesirably under the clothes.

Are these common occurrences when bulking? I've only really noticed in the past week and a half. Good sign? Bad sign? Eating too much?

I'm heading into the gym in the evenings with anywhere between 2700 - 3000 calories taken in, and then consuming another 800-1000 afterwards to recover. This usually takes me up to about an hour before going to bed, so that may explain the bloated feelings. But the sweats?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

^

Eating so close to bed time isn't really great regardless of your other symptoms, it can affect quality of sleep, and some bro-science for you;

Food releases insulin, insulin supposedly blocks growth hormone (that's the bro science part), your largest hit of growth hormone is just after falling asleep. Take that with a grain of salt.

I haven't had any of the symptoms you have from eating lots, I think it's because you're eating late and it must be your diet, crappy food will make you bloated, and spicy food will make you sweat. Try eating different unprocessed foods if you aren't already, and try eating 2 hours before bed, see what happens.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (kippers. @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 13:11)
sweats?

Sweats? Do you eat a lot of meat? i've heard of something called meat sweats but I always thought it was a myth sigh.gif

Kippers
  • Kippers

おっぱいは好きで

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:38 PM Edited by kippers., 16 May 2013 - 03:58 PM.

I don't think I'm eating an abnormal amount of meat. Though I don;t tend to eat anything meaty until the afternoon. And then I probably have 2 meals from afternoon to bed which include the meat.

Potatoes, eggs, peanut butter, chicken*, steak*, rice all with portions of veg, red onions and peppers...Granola cereal with nuts in, whole milk, fruit, protein shakes, and about 5/6 pints of water. That's through and through what my diet has been. Maybe I still need to find a faster way of getting the recovery calories after the gym if i'm eating too late, then.

I have been contemplating other shakes...Somewhere I read ice cream, peanut butter and whole milk, but I didn't investigate much past that. I mean, it would cut out some of the meat if that's a problem.

ED: *And by that I mean, loins, drumsticks, wings. All straight up; no breadcrumbs, no extra anything added to them. And I haven't touched any spicy foods.

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

love spuds

• The Precinct
  • Scotland

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Bad sign? Eating too much?

Both of these.

Kippers, you're putting your health at risk following this moronic advice you're being handed here.

Go back to what is a regular amount of calories for you. Clean up your diet a bit, a bit more protein a bit less sugar. Focus on your lifting and those compound exercises. For anyone new, looking to put on some muscle it's as simple as that. There are many great venues to learn about muscle building on the web- this thread will never be one of them.

Right now you're playing games with your bodies insulin levels, your testosterone is no doubt shot to sh*t and your on a straight course to being one fat f*ck. You're not a starvation case- get that out of your head- it's been wrongfully put there.

Bulking isn't something you need to be thinking about for at least another three years in to your weightlifting tenure.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Is there a way o know if what kind of body type I have to arrange my diet? I'm a mix between Endomorph and another one, I don't know wich. Well, I don't even know of I'm actually Endomorph or Mesomorph. I think I look a bit chunky (therefore, Endomorph) because I used to be really fat and lost a lot of weight, my skin is hanging a bit (wich is an issue for building a six pack, can you guys help me with that too? Is there a way to get a six pack with loose skin?) , but I have a really well defined clavicle and no belly. I'm not short and I have long legs unlike an Endomorph. I thought I could be Mesomorph, I have a muscular back and I'm generally strong. Maybe a mix. I don't know.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think 4,000 calories may be a little high for you. One of my bulks went slightly too fast and I ate at like 3800

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

I'm not much of a Creatine supplement guy, but I had the opportunity to acquire a few pounds for free a few months back. Now that my water-drinking habit has been a gallon a day for a month, I'm ready to start cycling this stuff.

From y'all's experience, what is the proper way to cycle Creatine? How much should I take and how often? A lot of mixed advice out there.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

I sort of think the cycling is nonsense. Your best bet is to maybe take 20g/day for the first week to saturate your muscles with it and at that point just take 3-5g daily for as long as you want. I stopped taking it a long time ago and I've really had no problem with my strength. I cut almost 15 lbs since January and have gained strength (DL went from high 300s to currently 475 for example) and during that cut decided not to use creatine and have had no negative results. For me all it does is cause me to retain a lot of water. I just take my preworkouts which some have creatine others don't. See what works for you - it isn't effective for everyone, especially those of us who eat a lot of meat.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

Thanks.

The last of what you said about the meat seems to be especially true for me. I take the occasional protein shake for its financial convenience; but it hasn't effected my progress much considering my stereotypical Texan diet. Meat on top of meat plus almost a gallon a day of milk puts me past the nutritional goals.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

My workout partner told me about this program that will help you make gains on benchpress, deadlifts and squats. He starts the program tomorrow

http://www.seriouspo...icles/smolov-jr

Thoughts?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Rusty Balls @ Friday, May 17 2013, 03:54)
Bad sign? Eating too much?

Both of these.

There are many great venues to learn about muscle building on the web- this thread will never be one of them.

I agree with your other points to a point, fasting is actually healthier than eating more, it also increases life expectancy, regardless of exercise levels (Be reasonable.) and you're probably right that Kippers is eating too much, that didn't actually occur to me.
I left the other points out though, requoting them is pointless.

I disagree, you can learn about body-building in many places, this thread is one of those places (Excluding the OP), reading on a forum though, everything should be taken with a grain of salt, there is no one source for all information, especially for bodybuilding. You have to admit though, you calling us all morons for our advice, then providing your own in the same thread nis a little hypocritical when I could say the exact same thing to you, what makes your point more valid?

Bulking isn't something you need to be thinking about for at least another three years in to your weightlifting tenure.

I think people who are going to be bulking should do lots of research first and have experience, and then ease into it gradually, however stating a figure like that is a bit odd, I think someone should try it when they believe they are ready, be it 1 year or 10 years.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 02:05)
My workout partner told me about this program that will help you make gains on benchpress, deadlifts and squats. He starts the program tomorrow

http://www.seriouspo...icles/smolov-jr

Thoughts?

Eh, it seems solid but for as someone who trains mostly for bodybuilding purposes, that's not going to do anything for me. I increase my poundages on weights as a way to expose my muscles to progressive resistance... so if I am benching 250 for 8 and don't hit failure then I'll add 5 lbs until I hit failure at 8, etc. Arbitrarily increasing my numbers on lifts isn't something I really bother to do anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users