Photo

Muscle And Fitness

1,844 replies to this topic
Hell No..
  • Hell No..

Dad.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Wales

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:41 PM Edited by Hell No.., 12 April 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Anyone know any good ways to release anger? I seem to have alot of it, and I get really frustrated. I got into trouble in work because of it too. confused.gif Sucks, but it dates back.

Anyways, running is just making me feel good, but I dont have anything else to try. What about going nuts on a punch bag like Captain America?

Irviding
  • Irviding

he's going to get into the ring and put boots to asses

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

Do you lift weights? Best stress/anger reducer IMO

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

Do you lift weights? Best stress/anger reducer IMO

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

So here's the deal guys. I'm 16 (turning 17 this year), 5 foot 9 and weigh about 165lbs. I've been lifting for 1-2 months now, 3-5 times a week. I started going to the gym to get some regular exercise to help with insomnia and to tone my body a bit, build some muscle and lose the belly fat that has always made me insecure about my body. I would say my body build is pretty average, I'm definitely not fat but there's a bit extra on the belly so I'm not a skinny guy either.

Like I said, I work out 3-5 times a week. I work my upper body out three times a week with the same routine; 3 exercises for chest, 2 for triceps, biceps, shoulders and upper back. I work out my lower body with a circuit-style leg routine once or twice a week. Recently I've been jogging 2 times a week running about 3-4km in 20 minutes (I'm trying to slow the pace down and make it a 30-40min jog) which has caused me to skip a few leg days since both training my legs and running caused me to not be able to walk for about 5 days but as I get into jogging I'll fight through it again.

However, during the past few weeks I have felt as if all the effort I've put into the last few months has been in vain because I see no change in my physique. I can see minor effects on the muscles, especially the chest and the biceps (which I'm going to have to admit that are the only ones that I really push to the limit) but that's not what I'm so concerned about, it's the fact that I've burned little to none fat causing the general body build to remain roughly the same. I do understand that lifting is not the best way to burn fat quickly but considering I got no exercise at all before it seems preposterous that 3-5 hard workouts a week does nothing. So what I'd like to get from you guys is a bit advice on how I can make my workout routine more efficient (as in have it pushing all my muscles equally to the limit instead of just pumping my chest and biceps) and how can I lose more fat with exercising in general. For instance, do you think jogging twice a week is beneficiary if combined with proper lifting?

If you guys have any good diet advice it would also be very welcome. I'd like some practical advice and concrete tips instead of some semi-scientific woo woo about nutrients - not trying to mock those of you with actual intelligence, but the theory is useless if I don't know what it means practically. For example, our household goes through about 2 kilos of pasta a week with me consuming about two thirds of it so recently we decided to cut half of it and replace it with potatoes and rice and make sure it's always whole grain pasta.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Cheat @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 18:25)
If you guys have any good diet advice it would also be very welcome. I'd like some practical advice and concrete tips instead of some semi-scientific woo woo about nutrients - not trying to mock those of you with actual intelligence, but the theory is useless if I don't know what it means practically. For example, our household goes through about 2 kilos of pasta a week with me consuming about two thirds of it so recently we decided to cut half of it and replace it with potatoes and rice and make sure it's always whole grain pasta.

Riiiiight. Yeah, you're gonna have to go through some "semi-scientific woo woo about nutrients" if you want to get anywhere. Without a basic understanding of how proteins, carbohydrates, fats and calories affect your body, you're just hanging on to a one-way ticket to Nogainesville. Spend half an hour reading stuff, and you won't waste a bunch of months in the gym.

Read the sticky: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html. If you're feeling particularly lazy, you can just read part 3. Or just the introduction to part 3. Or you can just stop lifting all together because without an idea of how you're supposed to eat you won't get anywhere anyhow.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:57 PM Edited by Cheat, 17 April 2013 - 04:59 PM.

Although that was a very well put together answer and although I did respectfully consider your suggestion, I'd rather clarify that the point I was trying to make was that I've done my studying - as a matter of fact, I've become familiar with the same article you provided a link to - and would like to get some concrete advice instead of having the same thing explained to me over and over again under the impression that I'm too stupid to educate myself. So if you'd like to elaborate on that, feel free.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:28 PM Edited by Fnorg, 17 April 2013 - 05:40 PM.

I'll try to put it in really, really simple terms and might gloss over a few things in doing so.

Your body needs energy to function. Food contains energy in varying amounts and forms. Energy is measured in (kilo)calories, kcal. If you want to gain weight, be it muscle or fat, you'll need a surplus of energy. If you want to lose weight, be it fat or muscle, you'll need a deficit of energy.

If you want to regulate the amount of fat versus muscle you'll gain or lose when eating at a caloric surplus or deficit, you will need to add protein and weight training to the mix. Protein is the building block of your muscular structure. However, if you don't "break down" your muscles (via weight training), the protein will not be used to "repair" muscles (which makes them grow) but rather be stored as fat, as would any other energetic surplus. When eating at a deficit, consuming large amounts of protein (say, 2x your bodyweight in kg) hinders your body from using muscle as a protein source to a certain degree.

So, if you want to lose fat, you'll need to consume less energy than your body needs, lift weights and eat a lot of protein.

If you want to gain muscle, you'll need to consume slightly more energy than your body needs, lift weights, and eat a lot of protein.

Are you with me this far?

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Fnorg @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 18:28)
If you want to gain muscle, you'll need to consume slightly less more energy than your body needs, lift weights, and eat a lot of protein.

I assume that's what you meant.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 19:39)
QUOTE (Fnorg @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 18:28)
If you want to gain muscle, you'll need to consume slightly less more energy than your body needs, lift weights, and eat a lot of protein.

I assume that's what you meant.

Nooo, I meant, he should eat slightly less more... For... Uh... Lean gains?

Yeah. That.

you're right, thanks

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hey gurus. Just passing by for some info here.
I regularly lift weights and try to keep my muscles active but have never bothered looking into what i eat. I'm 1.74m tall and weigh about 76kg which i think is about average.

My whole diet consists of LOTS of pasta with minse meat, pork, fried chips, tuna and carrot sandwiches, chocolate, lots of water and coke, kebabs and the occasional pizza.

I'm not looking for a 100% healthy/clean diet, meaning i won't drop the cola for example, BUT i am interested in knowing if it's really bad at the moment or just "meh". Also seeing as i eat a lot of pasta and maybe 1 or 2 kebabs per week, i wanted to know if they contained anything good in terms of gaining muscle mass too and not just small fat bulks.

Thanks guys. smile.gif

guyzwitgunz
  • guyzwitgunz

Anti-nerd

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Just a question for the experts here: When you say "lifting weights" what do you mean exactly? That activity seems very broad to me.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (guyzwitgunz @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 04:39)
Just a question for the experts here: When you say "lifting weights" what do you mean exactly? That activity seems very broad to me.

To me, working muscles by using free-weights or machines to perform an-aerobic exercises to build muscle strength and endurance and size. fa**ot bands don't count.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (tony-resta @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 05:00)

My whole diet consists of LOTS of pasta with minse meat, pork, fried chips, tuna and carrot sandwiches, chocolate, lots of water and coke, kebabs and the occasional pizza.

Thanks guys. smile.gif

Alright, for building muscle, as said above by fnorg quite clearly, you will want protein and lots of calories, so sure the Meat and tuna (protein) Pasta and Pizza and chips (Calories) are great for that.

However it all depends on how much of those you eat every day, If I were you I would cut out the chocolate to a minimum, same with Pizza and especially for fried chips, this isn't going to help any muscle building, but it'll save you from having a heart attack and dying when you're 50.

If you really are serious, eat more meat, more pasta, more Tuna and more food in general, but try lay off the junk food.

Also you need more vegetables for other reasons, get yourself or get your parents to buy some frozen vegetables, they're better for you than fresh ones even and you just heat them in the microwave, a serving at every dinner is good for you, also try eating some potatoes.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:34 PM Edited by whatsstrength, 26 April 2013 - 05:38 PM.

I've started going to the gym 5 days a week, having started last Monday. I've lost over 10 pounds so far, and I've been making great improvements of my upper and lower body strength.

I started out at 275 pounds last July, and I'm only at 246.7 right now because I've been doing my dieting on and off. I finally put my foot down last week and decided to follow my Weight Watchers a lot more closely by cutting out all sweets and eating plenty of fruits, grains and protein.

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Great job man^

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Thank you. I'm still going for 200, preferably 190. I hope to make it to at least 220 by the time I go to college this fall.

LewisMiller
  • LewisMiller

Luton Tannnnnn

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 18:35)
Thank you. I'm still going for 200, preferably 190. I hope to make it to at least 220 by the time I go to college this fall.

A year & a bit ago I went from 255 to 150 at 165 now but I have 10% bf now, losing the weight left my skin on my stomach a bit f*cked but its worth it, just keep looking forward at what you could look like it'll help keep you motivated and also buy a t-shirt one size smaller & when you can comfortably fit into it buy another t-shirt one size smaller and so on to track progress, good luck bruv just keep looking forward biggrin.gif

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 17:34)
I've started going to the gym 5 days a week, having started last Monday. I've lost over 10 pounds so far, and I've been making great improvements of my upper and lower body strength.

I started out at 275 pounds last July, and I'm only at 246.7 right now because I've been doing my dieting on and off. I finally put my foot down last week and decided to follow my Weight Watchers a lot more closely by cutting out all sweets and eating plenty of fruits, grains and protein.

Just make sure you're eating those fruits as early in the day as possible -- preferably before a work out of some sort as they're full of sugar.

I'm back on my usual weight cut again. Down to about 64kg from 67kg so far. Need to be at about 62. confused.gif funsies.

Been finding I have plenty more energy for all forms of cardio/weights by drinking a smoothie or isotonic sugar+ drink in the a.m. rather than eating food. Food makes me all sluggish and feel rough during workouts nowadays. ph34r.gif

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm one of those "Ectomorphs" at 16 years old (almost 17). I started going gym on the last week of September 2012, basically count it as October. And since then, i've gained 7 kg (15.4lbs). Yes, i'm pretty toned at the moment but have also gained fat. I want to be massive though. When i started gym, i weighed at 53kg (116.84lbs) and now i am basically almost 60kg. Is that good considering i started in October, and do you think i will start to get big by this October although i'm going to train for 2 more years? biggrin.gif

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

7 Kilograms? That's actually pretty crazy man, i'm sure some of that is due to body growth as well, but that is a lot of gains nevertheless. Just keep working hard and you will definitely reach your goals if you keep gaining weight like this, and also make sure you don't injure yourself.

Just be careful with the fat, if you notice you're getting chubbier than you like, you're going to have to sacrifice your gains for a while and do sh*tloads of cardio to keep it off, because unlike muscle, fat doesn't waste away on its own and it just keeps adding on, and if you ever stop bodybuilding, but you carried some excess weight, the muscle is going to disappear and you're going to be left looking chubby. I think this is where the muscle turns into fat misconception comes from, because when you have muscles, you can carry some weight and it isn't very noticeable because you got all the muscle supporting it, but then when the muscle is gone, you're left with fat, i've seen it happen to a few older guys who obviously didn't bother cutting.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 21:09)
I'm one of those "Ectomorphs" at 16 years old (almost 17). I started going gym on the last week of September 2012, basically count it as October. And since then, i've gained 7 kg (15.4lbs). Yes, i'm pretty toned at the moment but have also gained fat. I want to be massive though. When i started gym, i weighed at 53kg (116.84lbs) and now i am basically almost 60kg. Is that good considering i started in October, and do you think i will start to get big by this October although i'm going to train for 2 more years? biggrin.gif

Yep 7kg wow that's alot. How tall are you?

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:19 PM Edited by GTAfan786, 26 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 22:55)
QUOTE (GTAfan786 @ Friday, Apr 26 2013, 21:09)

Yep 7kg wow that's alot. How tall are you?

I'm pretty much 6 ft. But i still look like a skinny f*ck, but i look bigger than before. Height is a bitch. And yes, i have gained fat aswell but i have a lot of muscle, especially triceps. Yeah i think growth is involved too, but still. I eat like a monster now. I started at 116 lbs lol, that is 53 kg.

@Finn : I know, but there is some fat there. I'm impressed with myself, but i am still skinny. I want to reach about 70kg by this November. I don't mind the fat, because at the end of my bulking, i'm going to cut down. My target weight altogether is 80-90kg by the end of 2014. Then i will cut down.

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:50 AM

You're probably better off eating like a solid 3100 or so calories a day and just slowly gaining muscle with very minimal fat. Trust me going on a ridiculous bulk isn't worth it.

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Fie! Fie! Fie!

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award GTA IV

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Ah....there's alot to read..

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thinking of trying out Creatine for a month or so. Anyone have experience with it?

arsenal_fan
  • arsenal_fan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 14:23)
Thinking of trying out Creatine for a month or so. Anyone have experience with it?

Make sure you drink it on a relatively empty stomach, otherwise you'll throw up all over the place.

Does anyone have a good website for counting calories. Say if you typed in '4oz of turkey' it will come back with the calorie count.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Guys, I do 100 press ups a day and about 30 sit ups a day, will this get me anywhere? I don't want to be massive but just keep in shape and slowly hopefully improve my six pack and arm muscles...is this a decent way of doing this?

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 10:08)
Guys, I do 100 press ups a day and about 30 sit ups a day, will this get me anywhere? I don't want to be massive but just keep in shape and slowly hopefully improve my six pack and arm muscles...is this a decent way of doing this?

Not really, you're only working out a small group of muscles and keep doing the same routine day after day. You can only really get proper six pack abs to show if you have low body fat percentage, possibly under 10%. Eat chicken broccoli, brown rice. The trifecta. Avoid saturated fats.

Don't worry about getting huge, you never will unless you take some sort of growth hormone. Do a 4 day body split, Google a calorie calculator, eat above maintenance a few hundred calories and you will notice gains after a few months.

I have gained 10 pounds over the past 6 months.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:05 PM Edited by OverTheBelow, 27 April 2013 - 05:11 PM.

QUOTE (arsenal_fan @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 15:44)
QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 14:23)

Make sure you drink it on a relatively empty stomach, otherwise you'll throw up all over the place.

Eh? How come?

As for counting calories, there's some really great dieting phone apps which allow you to scan the barcode with the camera and then it automatically enters all the dietary information (calories, protein etc) for you.

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Mister @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 16:36)
QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 10:08)

Not really, you're only working out a small group of muscles and keep doing the same routine day after day. You can only really get proper six pack abs to show if you have low body fat percentage, possibly under 10%. Eat chicken broccoli, brown rice. The trifecta. Avoid saturated fats.

Don't worry about getting huge, you never will unless you take some sort of growth hormone. Do a 4 day body split, Google a calorie calculator, eat above maintenance a few hundred calories and you will notice gains after a few months.

I have gained 10 pounds over the past 6 months.

Did you gain 10 pounds of PURE muscle in 6 months? No fat at all i presume? smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users