Quantcast

» «
Photo

Muscle And Fitness

1,342 replies to this topic
Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well yeah, if it's a structural issue with your physique, then only do what's comfortable. Rotator cuff exercises are good for preventing problems associated with benching as well.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Friday, May 11 2012, 21:47)
Well yeah, if it's a structural issue with your physique, then only do what's comfortable. Rotator cuff exercises are good for preventing problems associated with benching as well.

Quoted for posterity.

Let's bring this one back in ten years, please.

NaidRaida
  • NaidRaida

Inactive user

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:06 AM Edited by NaidRaida, 12 May 2012 - 08:15 AM.

I was always taught that touching the chest is not the issue but the angle between chest/body and arms is more important, especially for the health of the shoulder joint.
The angle is basically related to your arm length and to the width of your grip. The one can touch the chest, the other not.

user posted image

After my knowledge it's more healthy to do it like in the lower picture. I was told not to do it like in the first one no matter if I stretched or not.
Of course this is not true to scale but it shows what I mean. If that is true I don't know but several sport trainers/physios told me that.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Saturday, May 12 2012, 01:47)

I tore my rotator cuff doing dumbbell shoulder press before, and it doesn't affect how far I can go down either, so I think that's bull.

I'm creeping up to 405 on incline bar, great max btw. My best so far is 335 for 3, but I'll get there eventually.

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

I really need to find time to get more involved with weightlifting! UGH!

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's nice to just be in the gym with buddies and help them out or answer their questions. When they do the exercises with wrong form i try to teach them how to do it right. Gives a good feeling this helping others thing biggrin.gif

But yeah, i'm exhausted. Shoulder and arms day for me.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Monday, May 14 2012, 15:54)
It's nice to just be in the gym with buddies and help them out or answer their questions. When they do the exercises with wrong form i try to teach them how to do it right. Gives a good feeling this helping others thing biggrin.gif

But yeah, i'm exhausted. Shoulder and arms day for me.

Also shoulder day for me!

I'm hoping I find some energy within the next 30 minutes or so.

--CellTech--
  • --CellTech--

As Real As It Gets

• Members

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

I don't touch my chest because if you hold for 2 seconds just above it you strain other muscle fibers you don't hit by full range of motion.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Had a successful shoulder workout last night. I ended up doing 100 lb dumbbells for 10 reps on shoulder press, so I was quite happy with that smile.gif

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:18 PM Edited by Fnorg, 15 May 2012 - 01:24 PM.

QUOTE (--CellTech-- @ Monday, May 14 2012, 22:03)
I don't touch my chest because if you hold for 2 seconds just above it you strain other muscle fibers you don't hit by full range of motion.

This sounds like absolute broscience, do you have any sources to back this claim?

EDIT: That's solid Lith, I'm just now doing 100 on standing overhead press for fives. I'm gonna have to look into microloading, because there's no way I'll be able to sustain five pounds jumps on that any more.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Fnorg @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 09:18)
QUOTE (--CellTech-- @ Monday, May 14 2012, 22:03)

This sounds like absolute broscience, do you have any sources to back this claim?

EDIT: That's solid Lith, I'm just now doing 100 on standing overhead press for fives. I'm gonna have to look into microloading, because there's no way I'll be able to sustain five pounds jumps on that any more.

I find it hard because our gym only goes up to 100's for dumbbells, so I can't really challenge myself. Sometimes I'll go to a different gym in the city with heavier dumbbells so that I can challenge myself.

How are the deadlifts coming along Fnorg?

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Next deadlifting session should be back to my old 5RM of 225 which I imagine I'll have no problem busting through (with proper form this time around). Past that, who knows. I'm not eating enough or even well enough.

Why don't you switch over to barbell for a challenge? I f*cking love seeing people slapping two plates on and pushing it overhead.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Fnorg @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 11:07)
Next deadlifting session should be back to my old 5RM of 225 which I imagine I'll have no problem busting through (with proper form this time around). Past that, who knows. I'm not eating enough or even well enough.

Why don't you switch over to barbell for a challenge? I f*cking love seeing people slapping two plates on and pushing it overhead.

Well the guy I train with ends up getting me to do 3 presses on shoulder days (this is a lot of pressing I know), so the most we've gotten on the smith machine is three 45 plates a side, which works out to about 270 lbs. I can do that for a good 6 reps or so, but I find doing the seated military press is a little different. I feel like there's more room for error there, but I might see if we can give it a try next week!

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Lithium @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 13:14)
Had a successful shoulder workout last night. I ended up doing 100 lb dumbbells for 10 reps on shoulder press, so I was quite happy with that smile.gif

Is that with 100 pound dumbbell each? With total of 200 pounds? When so, then very ncie work.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 11:21)
QUOTE (Lithium @ Tuesday, May 15 2012, 13:14)

Is that with 100 pound dumbbell each? With total of 200 pounds? When so, then very ncie work.

Yes that is with 100 in each hand.

Thanks Sup3rman.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Off to work some legs at the gym, anyone else training today?

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Lithium @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 16:25)

Nope, chest and tris are sore from yesterday though. I did legs this weekend... my glutes are still sore from it, I hit 335 on squat but had to lower it on the side bars and tore my boxers when I tried to go up 5 lbs more, lol.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

Me, although I don't go to the gym. I jog and do some workouts, sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, squats, and leg lifts are pretty much it.

I've been pretty lazy for the past few weeks and my cardio has gone down, surprisingly I haven't lost any weight, I just get tired really easily which is a bitch since I'm starting to train again. I used to waterskii and play tennis but school has taken up most of my time, I left tennis and barely waterskii nowadays.

Shame.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (blitz @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 17:57)

Me, although I don't go to the gym. I jog and do some workouts, sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, squats, and leg lifts are pretty much it.

I've been pretty lazy for the past few weeks and my cardio has gone down, surprisingly I haven't lost any weight, I just get tired really easily which is a bitch since I'm starting to train again. I used to waterskii and play tennis but school has taken up most of my time, I left tennis and barely waterskii nowadays.

Shame.

I hate cardio with a passion. I honestly can't stand it. I bought an exercise bike and my roommate and I both take turns using it while we're playing videogames. I use the rowing machine at the gym I lift/train at and it's not that bad, though my shoulders hurt a lot while using it for some reason. The only motivations I have for doing cardio are girls and keeping my job, as the gym would probably fire me as a trainer if I were fat.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:27 PM Edited by blitz, 16 May 2012 - 11:34 PM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 18:17)
I hate cardio with a passion. I honestly can't stand it. I bought an exercise bike and my roommate and I both take turns using it while we're playing videogames. I use the rowing machine at the gym I lift/train at and it's not that bad, though my shoulders hurt a lot while using it for some reason. The only motivations I have for doing cardio are girls and keeping my job, as the gym would probably fire me as a trainer if I were fat.

sh*t, as a female, I need cardio. Else I start getting flabby. biggrin.gif

I used to have an exercise bike which I frequently used as I watched TV, but it broke down, and my parents got rid of it. My gramps has a really small, really convenient exercise bike and I'm gonna ask him to lend it to me.

We have a gym at school, and every once in a while I run in the treadmill and perhaps play around with some equipment, it's sort of fun trying out new stuff and figuring out how it works and what gets me really motivated is that if I use it at school, then I got the rest of the afternoon to chill out.

I absolutely adore the big bouncing inflatable balls used for stretching, though. And the elastic rubber thingy. Gotta love the elastic rubber thingy.

@Jeeebuuus, currently I jog outside, I barely get on the treadmill nowadays and if I do, like I said, it's at school. wink.gif

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

I think what helps with cardio is how its done. If your on a treadmill or those bikes that ride in place it can make you feel like a hamster. Going outside and jogging while getting fresh air and hopefully nice scenery can make it more natural and something to look forward to. I need to get outside more.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Wednesday, May 16 2012, 18:31)
I think what helps with cardio is how its done. If your on a treadmill or those bikes that ride in place it can make you feel like a hamster. Going outside and jogging while getting fresh air and hopefully nice scenery can make it more natural and something to look forward to. I need to get outside more.

Good point. The only problem is I can't really keep a pace for over a minute or two while jogging, lol.

ZDANZ96
  • ZDANZ96

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

As of now I can't have any physical exercises nor play any sport. Gonna wait for like 3 months until all of my injuries have a complete heal, to be able to play soccer again. I love it.

Funnily enough I am really fit, although I don't do any exercise or gym. It must be something related to genetics, or due to my psychological problems as I have emetophobia and another disorder that I don't really remember.

Other than that I am a really normal person, and the most important thing is: I am fit and happy.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (ZDANZ96 @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 00:43)
Other than that I am a really normal person, and the most important thing is: I am fit and happy.

That's all there is to it my friend. smile.gif

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Also finding a form of cardio that you actually like doing helps. I'll knock a heavy punching bag around for about 15 minutes and it's the most effective form of cardio I can get myself to do. I can tolerate stepmills, so long as it's on an actual stepmill with the revolving steps and not one of those machines with the levers that move up and down. But I hate treadmills, ellipticals, and all such things.

Lithium
  • Lithium

Draugr

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 00:33)

Also finding a form of cardio that you actually like doing helps. I'll knock a heavy punching bag around for about 15 minutes and it's the most effective form of cardio I can get myself to do. I can tolerate stepmills, so long as it's on an actual stepmill with the revolving steps and not one of those machines with the levers that move up and down. But I hate treadmills, ellipticals, and all such things.

See I really like the elliptical for some reason. At first it was hard on my knees, but now that I'm used to it I can do an hour straight. I do prefer the punching bag though. At my gym they have one of those MMA dummys, which is pretty cool.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Is there any correct way to do a push-up, or, rather, is a specific style correct depending on where you want to target?

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

Yes. The closer a grip you use or in other words the closer your hands are together the more the triceps are targeted. Go wider and you target the chest more. The correct way you can watch on YouTube, but if you're asking yourself if you're doing it correctly or not, you probably are subconsciously cheating yourself.

TheJonesy
  • TheJonesy

Carry on.

• Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Friday, May 18 2012, 00:31)
Yes. The closer a grip you use or in other words the closer your hands are together the more the triceps are targeted. Go wider and you target the chest more. The correct way you can watch on YouTube, but if you're asking yourself if you're doing it correctly or not, you probably are subconsciously cheating yourself.

I'm just curious because some individuals do push-ups with their elbows pointing outward while others have them at their sides.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (TheJonesy @ Thursday, May 17 2012, 22:22)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Friday, May 18 2012, 00:31)

I'm just curious because some individuals do push-ups with their elbows pointing outward while others have them at their sides.

Yup, putting them more out will work the chest whereas more in will work the triceps more. Either way both muscles are being worked but more focus goes on either depending on where you are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users