» «
Photo

Exporting Collision File from Max & GMax

12 replies to this topic
Kam
  • Kam

JINX

• Members

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:02 PM Edited by Kam, 08 April 2005 - 09:16 PM.

Updated on 11Mar05

Tools you need:
COL_IO_V02 script for both Max & GMax
DFF_IO_43b script, GMax Version (no necessary)

HTML version of this tutorial HERE
for the tools update,Please visit here

1. Create your model in MAX.

- Remember : to use all my tools, the Back side is equal to the Front ingame!

2. Export you models as dff. In my case, I call it 'dragonst.dff'.

user posted image

3. Time to create the collision file. I am going to use a simple box for the base. And simple mesh(124 faces) for the dragon.

-Collision Mesh must be editable-mesh! (No point to be a primitive,right!?) So be sure to convert it to editable-mesh.

Hint: I can't see why people need more than 1000 face to create collision mesh, It just slow down the game! In my case 124 is enough even too many! I just no time to optimize it! Study the original collision file and you will learn it!

user posted image

4. Hide or delete the original models(the dff export one), so you won't mess up with collision objects!

5. Now lanuch my 'COL_IO_1b.ms' script. Go to 'Surface Parameters' rollout. You have to set Surface for all your collision meshes(box,sphere).

6. In my case, the base box will be Rock and the dragon will be Steel!

-Select the box, and select Rock in the 1st listbox. Press the 'Set Surface' button.

Hint: You can use the 'Get Info.' button to see what's properities there!

user posted image

7. Select the dragon mesh, and Steel in 1st listbox. Press 'Set Surface' again.

user posted image

Step 8 is now Optional!
8. Your Collision file is almost done. GTA Engine need bounding box and sphere for every collision file! So select ALL the collision objects (dragon and box in my case) Press 'Create Boundings', You will see a box and sphere are create for you.

user posted image

9. Now is time for export your collision file! Open the 'IO Parameters' rollout, type the name of the collision file in the bottom box.

-Remember GTA Engine need it to be the same as your dff file. So in my case, it is call 'dragonst'. Select ALL collision objects (optional)include bounding box and sphere.
-Since I am going to create a new file, so press 'Save as'. Give it the name and it is done!

user posted image

If you want to edit a ready made collision file. Use the 'Open Collision File' and 'Load' button to import the collision objects into max. Edit whatever you want and then re-export again!

By Kam.

Cobra142
  • Cobra142

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

Collision file IO Script for 3dmax? Perfect, just what I needed. I couldn't find any info in the tutorial about which max version should be used though, with 7 I had to edit the col script a bit to make it run, but now it works. Great tutorial, thank you. smile.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Cobra142 @ Mar 9 2005, 04:12)
Collision file IO Script for 3dmax? Perfect, just what I needed. I couldn't find any info in the tutorial about which max version should be used though, with 7 I had to edit the col script a bit to make it run, but now it works. Great tutorial, thank you. smile.gif

/* @ Cobra, what did you have to edit, to make the script work?

@ Kam, for my col exporter, i just calculate the boundings around the selected object(s) when the col mesh is exported and write it to the file. is there any advantage to having ....."bounding objects", in the scene ? */

Cobra142
  • Cobra142

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Mar 10 2005, 10:16)
/* @ Cobra, what did you have to edit, to make the script work?

I just fixed something that looked like a typo and removed a couple of unimportant lines about the id tag of the objects that gave an error. I'll send my version to Kam, he can then see if he'll approve of it and release it.

ocram88
  • ocram88

Mapper & Mission Scripter

• Members

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

I use max 4.2 and have an error.
for that reason i search in the.ms and found this line
CODE
button CreBBS "Create Boundings" width:120 align:center tooltip:"Create bounding Sphere and Box for selections"

i've change this line and now it works on 4.2 smile.gif
CODE
button CreBBS "Create Boundings" width:120 [B]align:#center[/B] tooltip:"Create bounding Sphere and Box for selections"

Kam
  • Kam

JINX

• Members

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

ashdexx, you are right! Not many people need to change anything or fine tunning for 'bounding objects'. So I updated the script + bug fix.

It should now works for all version of Max!

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:02 AM

I've tried exporting the COL for my lot from here but there seems to only export the bounding box and sphere and no actual col geometry....

Kam
  • Kam

JINX

• Members

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Kam @ Mar 7 2005, 19:02)
-Collision Mesh must be editable-mesh! (No point to be a primitive,right!?) So be sure to convert it to editable-mesh. 

dozingoff.gif !?

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (Kam @ Mar 24 2005, 18:00)

dozingoff.gif !?

I'm not that stupid Kam... The object IS an editable mesh... I also have problems with the DFF exporter and multi/sub-object materials, but i havnt tried redoing all the materials, so i cant rule out a bad/corrupt material.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

Ryan_ aka 4:20

• Members

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:22 AM

I find you MUST press the set surface button in order to get your col to work.

leviatan1001
  • leviatan1001

Build your own World

• Members

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

Hi guys.KAM IS GOD and it works is amazing. I did some models for san andreas, and after lots of tryings, it works, so i have a problem with invisible walls. I model with Rhinoceros, texturing in sketchup, and 3Ds MAX to add material and export. I have done lots of models, and almost of them has got invisible walls or surfaces. I did them for san andreas. So when i did it for vice city ,without 3d max, it didnt happen. So i guees the problem is in kam scripts. PLEASE, HELP

leviatan1001
  • leviatan1001

Build your own World

• Members

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Updated on 11Mar05

[b][color=orange]Tools you need:
COL_IO_V02 script for both Max & GMax
DFF_IO_43b script, GMax Version (no necessary)

I did some models for san andreas, and after lots of tryings, it works, so i have a problem with invisible walls. I model with Rhinoceros, texturing in sketchup, and 3Ds MAX to add material and export. I have done lots of models, and almost of them has got invisible walls or surfaces. I did them for san andreas. So when i did it for vice city ,without 3d max, it didnt happen. So i guees the problem is in kam scripts. PLEASE, HELP

Grant
  • Grant

Back from the dead

• Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

The problem is sketchup, it exports with settings that cause invisible walls, as of yet the only full proof way to remove the walls is by rebuilding the col file. Yeah i know it is indeed a very irritating task as i have to do it with basically everything i make. Sadly, i've never managed to get anything into SA with KAM's scripts, i've followed lot's of tutorials with 0% progress, i can get things into VC without a hitch, but SA, just bogs me down, usually i get a crash at the loading screen. Sometimes my col only has the boundings, other times i get the col but not the dff, it is very annoying. I just gave up a few months ago after months and months of trying. I think most likely the reason is the way sketchup models work in MAX, something happens that appears to make them incompatible, i have no idea why. I think i'll continue my Mod in VC for now, untill i can begin to make some progress with SA's enhanced engine and get my objects ingame without problems on a regular basis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users