Photo

Grand Theft Auto SA: mistake guide [Nitpicking]

486 replies to this topic
gohan__14
  • gohan__14

[UVA]G-Rider

• Members

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

Don't know how is it in your version, but in my version of gta sa, there's no peoples in clucking bell siting and eating something.

Thr33
  • Thr33

death bed sick, grave yard bound.

• Members

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Holmes @ Jan 13 2006, 19:45)
Another spelling mistake: Montgomery is spelt Montgomary on one of the highway signs. - Holmes

i just noticed that a few days ago.

MAcSandNinEs
  • MAcSandNinEs

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

It's random, sometimes there are, and sometimes they aren't. Also, some of the burgers and pizzas are black/burnt. It's quite funny. -JD-

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:51 AM

One of the reasons I started this thread is because I am playing through the game again (mostly as a demonstration for my girlfriend who bought the game for herself but decided, as she puts it, "I suck at driving games.")

-Spelling: In the 24-7 stores, one of the "Cherry Popper" ice cream varieties in the freezer is "Rasberry Ripple." The correct spelling would be "Raspberry," although it is notable that this game was produced in Scotland. Maybe one of our UK-based posters might know if this is a British spelling variant.

-This is something I've never read about but noticed while doing the Los Santos courier mission. During that mission, all the drug dealers in the city are the white man in the Rockstar hood. Usually, the black man in the black tanktop appears as the drug dealer in most LS gang neighborhoods except East Los Santos.

-And here's another very strange thing I noticed: If you have a save right before "Green Sabre," check this out. If you watch the opening cutscene (in Sweet's house) closely, there is a brief shot of former OGF enforcer Big Bear sitting on the couch during Sweet's speech. He is visible for only a split second or two, but it's an inconsistency in the story because Bear is shown earlier in the game to be a crack addict and house slave to B-Dup, and you don't "free" Bear until CJ returns to Los Santos later in the game.

Gohan: I am playing the original release PS2 version. This may have been changed in the other ports or in the SE, but I don't know for sure.

Also fair game for this thread are logical fallacies and inconsistencies either within gameplay or the storyline, in which category the Big Bear thing would fall. So offer those up as you see them.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:17 AM

First, I have a little nitpicking about your nitpicking. wink.gif From the first post:
The (rather effeminate sounding) clerk in the Pro-Laps stores is of the same voice as the one in the Didier Sachs store.

That's simply reuse of a ped model as opposed to an unintentional error. If you're gonna complain about that, why not complain that you keep seeing the same gang members wherever you go or that the entire state is served by just 2 or 3 drug dealers? There's already 2 GB of sound effects and you want even more to get separate clerks for all 6 clothes shops? smile.gif

I have a similar issue with the yellow marker suspended in Blue Hell. You're not supposed to be in blue hell to begin with, so floating markers there aren't really a problem. If you want to nitpick involving Blue Hell, you have plenty of ammunition with over a dozen map holes that let you get there. tounge2.gif

I'm not real big on the proposed "contest" aspects of the thread, but I do sometimes enjoy complaining so here's a contribution:

One of my favorite inconsistencies: Claude is never used outside of cutscenes so during the "Farewell My Love" mission, Catalina is actually in Woozie's car. Also, I've heard his cutscene car is not one of the ones in the race, but I never bothered checking on that part.

Speaking of differences between cutscenes and the game, there's also the two Emmets found by Fireman.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:37 AM

Escobar, could I interest you in a Valium? Maybe something stronger? Dude, this isn't meant to bash R* or anything over the game (which I consider the best ever made). It's not a matter of me "wanting more" - to this day I am still blown away a game of this magnitude got pulled off on such an aging console. This is an observation thread, nothing more.

A lot of my first ones I knew had been found before and offered them more as examples. To find that marker takes a little exploring, and that's the spirit of this thread.

This doesn't even necessarily have to be a contest, truth be told. This is more an exercise in leaving no stone unturned and finding everything there is to be found in this gem of a game.

human.abattoir
  • human.abattoir

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:30 AM

nice topic

i had one once but i forgot it -human

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

Thanks.

Like goldfish, message board threads live and die. When it croaks you find a new one.

Here's a logical chasm I had trouble getting across as I played the mission "Local Liquor Store."

How can Catalina get knocked off her bike and then shot at in all directions by a dozen or so cops and not die? (I know, it's just a game...then again, cops and most NPCs in the game seem to be poor marksmen) Maybe I just would've found that a more palatable result of the mission...

Ray1
  • Ray1

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

I'm sorry, I can barely read your posts.

How come only some of the letters are in caps?
It should be all of 'em or none of 'em, that's what I say!

Also, I believe you misspelled a few words:

"you"? Do you mean 'u'?

"are"? Do you mean 'r'?

"version"? Do you mean 'vershun'?

And finally, use some friggin numbers, please. I n3v3r s33m to s33 p3opl3s 3s wh3n they're backwards.

7h4nk5 in advance for your compliance in this matter,
Ray

ON A SIDE NOTE: OK, everyone has been way too gentle about you starting this thread. Even with your thoughtful disclaimer in the original post about rehashing and all that, I figured you'd be toast by now. sh*t, Mxyz even offered an argument for why it IS an acceptable topic when he so diplomatically mentioned that it had already been done before. So allow me;

SERCH N00B! L0K THIS THR3AD!

Seriously. . .

I'm one of those newcomers that bought the game only a few months ago. While I haven't found any bugs (that I know of), I just had to post here. I think it was because I could relate to both your interest in discussing the game and your fear of starting threads with old topics. You are not alone, bro.

pdescobar
  • pdescobar

Conformist Scum Panda

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Jan 13 2006, 22:37)
Escobar, could I interest you in a Valium? Maybe something stronger? Dude, this isn't meant to bash R* or anything over the game (which I consider the best ever made). It's not a matter of me "wanting more" - to this day I am still blown away a game of this magnitude got pulled off on such an aging console. This is an observation thread, nothing more.

A lot of my first ones I knew had been found before and offered them more as examples. To find that marker takes a little exploring, and that's the spirit of this thread.

This doesn't even necessarily have to be a contest, truth be told. This is more an exercise in leaving no stone unturned and finding everything there is to be found in this gem of a game.

LOL. I interpreted the intent of this topic as a place to point out mistakes made by the developers; some of what you put in your first post were not mistakes, but were intended design decisions and I believe that distinction is important. That's all. As far as I'm concerned, the Secrets and Easter Eggs topic more than handles any interesting details that are actually intended. I wasn't trying to be hostile or anything. I even contributed. sigh.gif

And if you're going to create a "nitpicking" thread, you should be able to handle a little friendly "nitpicking" yourself. tounge2.gif

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (pdescobar @ Jan 14 2006, 03:17)
Speaking of differences between cutscenes and the game, there's also the two Emmets found by Fireman.

Woh, didn't even remember that thanks for bringing it up tounge.gif . He also has a deagle on the dumpster but he gives you a crap 9mm gun. -Slurp Slurp, Hmmm... Sprunk!

srg
  • srg

Bored Ass

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:27 AM Edited by srg, 14 January 2006 - 11:32 AM.

Well here's mine. Just holler at me if this has been found already. In the cutscene after you've won the race in the WU ZI MU mission, CJ brushed the body of a ZR 350 car that he supposedly used, when you're actually given any vehicle of your choice for that race.

Oh, here's another one. Why is it that in the races you're always given the last place and to make matters harder for you, sometimes given a crappy car? I' try to think of some more wink.gif

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:24 PM Edited by Holmes, 14 January 2006 - 04:27 PM.

Cobra Marital Arts, the Kung Fu gym in San Fierro, has "Senseis". That would be incorrect, as "Sensei" is a Japanese title, typically reserved for Karate teachers. For Kung Fu, a Chinese martial art, the proper title for a teacher would be "Sifu".

As 50 Cent was originally set to play CJ, OG Loc was modeled to mock rival rapper Ja Rule. They even have the same first name of Jeffrey.

The rail bridge from San Fierro is modeled on the Fourth Rail Bridge, which runs north from Edinburgh, Scotland, where Rockstar games are based. The road bridge next to it, presumably modeled on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, also bears more than a passing resemblance to the Fourth Road Bridge, which lies right next to the Fourth Rail Bridge.
- Holmes

gohan__14
  • gohan__14

[UVA]G-Rider

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Jan 14 2006, 02:51)
...I am playing the original release PS2 version. This may have been changed in the other ports or in the SE, but I don't know for sure...

Probobly it was taken out in PC version. Thanks for explaning. And i think that that isn't Big Bear. Big Bear is a slave of B-dump and isn't in OG, unit [spoilers] B-dump move off the grove, to the Ballas hood, and Sweet with C.J. get's to him, and then Big Bear beats a cramp out off B-dump, and he ask C.J. to take him back to the grove.[/spoilers].

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Nice catch, Holmes on the Sensei/Kung Fu inconsistency. Then again most Westerners wouldn't know any difference..."So are you Japanese or Chinese?" "I'm Laotian!" "I know you came across the ocean, but are you Japanese or Chinese?"

I swear though, the guy you see briefly on the couch looks a lot like the same emaciated Big Bear you see in "Cleaning The Hood."

I remember Fireman pointing out in a thread a while back about the "two Emmets." I pointed out later in the thread about his Deagle, but I don't know if that had been found previously by someone else. Doesn't matter to me. I just like finding all the quirks in this game.

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

Not really a nitpick, but something good to look out for. The Dojo in San Fierro says Marital Arts, rather than Martial Arts. Wife beating maybe? - Holmes

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

Yeah, being romantically linked to the likes of Catalina would probably require knowledge of "Marital Arts." I actually picked up on that reading the mock-up ads in the manual before even playing the game for the first time. (It sucked not getting a day off from work for five days after I first picked up SA.)

Here's another thing I thought of when doing the "555 We Tip" mission.

It seems they would have had you find a way to kill the valet in such a way not to ruin his clothes. I sliced him up Freddy Krueger-style and then ran right back into valet line thinking "Yeah right." I'd have made sanguined Swiss cheese of his clothes along with his carcass. But no, all you have to make sure to do is have no one see you commit the act.

"What's all that red stuff on your jacket?" "Uh, yeah, I eat ketchup on my hotdogs and it sort of dribbled as I was climbing over the razor-wire fence." "Eloquent defense you got there, buddy!" *WHACK!*

srg
  • srg

Bored Ass

• Members

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Jan 14 2006, 19:29)
"I'm Laotian!" "I know you came across the ocean...

I'll nitpick this. I like the rhyme of it wink.gif

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

Here's a small one I picked up last night. As Ryder's dead, why does his car dissapear and re-appear some days? Did the neighbour feel like doing some shopping and saving his bus money for crack? - Holmes

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:03 PM

Ryder's Picador must be community property in the Grove...Sweet's Greenwood does the same while he's in prison

Heh...now that I'm doing Woozie's missions again, I notice he suddenly knows right where to get into the car once CJ gets in. He runs right to it, after gingerly wandering around with an outstretched hand. (And why do the Triads attack him when he tells them he's OGF? Guess it's the same as the Varrios.)

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

In all shots of The Truth out of game, he has brown hair yet he has grey in game. - Holmes

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

I'm waiting for some hidden code embedded into the game that has The Truth saying "Don't do drugs, kids!" Would that get the original release's rating bumped back down to "M?"

-The license plate on the Flash is "mirrored." I put that on the Secrets/Easter Eggs thread and got roasted alive and eaten by the natives. I'll add that here and hopefully avoid cannibalization this time.

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

Check the one on the imported Camper. It's upside down and back to front! - Holmes

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

Hm, sure enough.

A couple sonic observations:

-The guy at the airport gates who says you need a pilot's license to enter sounds a heck of a lot like Zero (voiced by David Cross). Speaking of which, I'm doing Zero's missions on my playthrough now. I am reminded what an annoying ass Zero is. I also am reliving how much Supply Lines sucks. *retch*

-A bit of irony on the radio: K-DST DJ Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith (voiced by some guy named Axl Rose) frequently takes jabs at Radio X and fans of its music. On Radio X's playlist is Guns 'N Roses' "Welcome To The Jungle" which is sung by some guy named Axl Rose.

The tagline for this thread says to tune your eyes to the finer things in SA, but that can apply to ears (and the sounds of the game) too.

Astoroth211
  • Astoroth211

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

The reversing lights on any car dont work, or at least they don't go on when you reverse. confused.gif

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:49 PM

So you mean peds actually have an excuse for walking willy-nilly into the path of a car backing out of driveways or CJ's garages as they do? That explains a lot.

Astoroth211
  • Astoroth211

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:13 AM

Also the people who sit down to eat at the resteraunts are invincible, if you shoot them they fall on the table after that if you bump into them they still shout abuse at you. blink.gif

jt the bigga figga
  • jt the bigga figga

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Ray1 @ Jan 14 2006, 08:39)
I'm sorry, I can barely read your posts.

How come only some of the letters are in caps?
It should be all of 'em or none of 'em, that's what I say!

Also, I believe you misspelled a few words:

"you"? Do you mean 'u'?

"are"? Do you mean 'r'?

"version"? Do you mean 'vershun'?

And finally, use some friggin numbers, please. I n3v3r s33m to s33 p3opl3s 3s wh3n they're backwards.

7h4nk5 in advance for your compliance in this matter,
Ray

ON A SIDE NOTE: OK, everyone has been way too gentle about you starting this thread. Even with your thoughtful disclaimer in the original post about rehashing and all that, I figured you'd be toast by now. sh*t, Mxyz even offered an argument for why it IS an acceptable topic when he so diplomatically mentioned that it had already been done before. So allow me;

SERCH N00B! L0K THIS THR3AD!

Seriously. . .

I'm one of those newcomers that bought the game only a few months ago. While I haven't found any bugs (that I know of), I just had to post here. I think it was because I could relate to both your interest in discussing the game and your fear of starting threads with old topics. You are not alone, bro.

DO ME A FAVOR AND STOP POSTING YOU FAG die.gif angry.gif devil.gif

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:52 AM

Hey Bigga, he was joking. I found it funny myself. Please, take your Prozac. Or smoke a doob. Just chill either way.

Not only do the people you shoot at the tables in the fast-food restaurants still talk to you, but if you shoot them and then hop onto the table and bump you they magically appear, alive, cowering on the ground. I guess my nine was shooting blanks?

Also, hop and grasp onto the edge of the roof of the 24-7 in Little Mexico, Los Santos if you want to see CJ mysteriously pass through the red canopies around the building. Hang off the edge and CJ's head will be poking out of it. Peekaboo! (This is the one near Unity Station and the bomb shop.)

Crackturkey
  • Crackturkey

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:13 AM

I founds teh bigfeets zomgz!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users