Photo

Why is marijuana illegal?

315 replies to this topic
Hamburger
  • Hamburger

Yes It's me

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:21 AM

Of course it is a drug. But it doesn't make you violent. Marijuana relaxes you and not one single person has died from marijuana. Alot of people die from cigarettes and theres no real reason to smoke a cigarette other than to feed your nicotine habits. Marijuana is hardly addictive but on the other hand cigarretes are. Try to quit cigarettes and I bet you will get pissed off.

What do you think?

Eviscero
  • Eviscero

Upright and Locked Position

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:22 AM

Jesus says smoking weed is bad.

Mr. Wongs
  • Mr. Wongs

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:56 AM

Actually, one could argue that fast food is higly addicting, even more so than marijuana. Take hamburgers, for example. The greasy, sloppy kinds you get at Burger King. The ones so fat and juicy that they just disintegrate in your mouth (along with it, your perfectly good health). All that fatty, heart-attack inducing goodness. Have you ever tried stopping in the middle of a burger fest? Of course you can't, it's completely undoable.

Well you don't see them ban them burgers, do you? And shame on them.

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

Pumping Propaganda since 04

• The Connection

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:11 AM

I would argue for it to be legal as well. There is no plausible or reasonable way the government can prevent the sale of it, so why not make it legal and tax it?

WalkerBoh
  • WalkerBoh

smells quite odiferous

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:17 AM

Various mainstream products keep it down, Pharmecutical companies keep it down, the government keeps it down.

If marijuana was legal it would rack in a lot of cash, giving the alcohol and liqour companies a run for there money.

Many reasons. I belive it is mostly due to the fact that marijuana can do alot of things for health that normally several prescription medicines would be used for.

The companies that produce the Rx drugs things would surely suffer some loss if marijuana was legalized.

Combined with all the garbled myths made about pot, so much misinformation, legalization is a daunting task. I don't belive enough good studies are being done to show all the great benifits of this plant. The average joe doesnt know enough to care.

Therapeutic uses of cannabis

Leftcoast
  • Leftcoast

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:18 AM

I didn't know they smoked dank chronic back then, hey wait, what about the rastafarians? (joking)

I think it's illegal due to big money and economic reasons, I think it will become legal for economic reasons.

I had a good knowlegable friend once tell me DuPont realy pushed to get it banned because it was too good for making rope when they were getting nylon on the market. Never realy cared to find out if that was true, food for thought.

WalkerBoh
  • WalkerBoh

smells quite odiferous

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (Leftcoast @ Feb 17 2005, 22:18)

I didn't know they smoked dank chronic back then, hey wait, what about the rastafarians? (joking)

I think it's illegal due to big money and economic reasons, I think it will become legal for economic reasons.

I had a good knowlegable friend once tell me DuPont realy pushed to get it banned because it was too good for making rope when they were getting nylon on the market. Never realy cared to find out if that was true, food for thought.

link

I learned of the rope thing here.

Alot of good info their. Supposedly ways back, hemp was used as rope and it worked well.

Leftcoast
  • Leftcoast

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:30 AM

I learned of the rope thing here.

Alot of good info their. Supposedly ways back, hemp was used as rope and it worked well. 

Yah, hemp makes awsome rope. You can actually get in the states now, but I believe they have to do something to it to make sure you won't get high.
Thanks for the link, seems pretty awsome, i'm going back to finish reading it now.

dr zoidberg
  • dr zoidberg

Drain on society

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:21 AM

I can't see much reason why it should be illegal - alcohol and nicotine have much worse affects on your health, causing cancers and diseases. Whereas the only negative effect of cannabis is slight loss of memory and ability to concentrate.

I'd probably have to agree with WalkerBoh, the liquor and cigarette industries are colluding to make sure it stays illegal, and their profits stay high.

It's also stupid that so much of the police forces is wasted trying to stop the supply of cannabis, when they'd surely be better off focussing on other drugs which pose serious threats, such as heroin and cocaine.

So, I think they should relax their attitudes towards marijuana, something which has actually happened quite recently in the UK.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

Well, back in the early 20th century there was a device invented that could remove the fiber from the hemp stock in record time, giving a lot of potential to create a huge market for hemp. It already had many uses at the time in textiles, ropes, wood, paper, etc. With the advent of this new device, it would basically over-run the market in every way imagineable.

Well, there was a wealthy newspaper chain owner at that time named Willian Randolph Hearst. At the time this was happening, he and his banker, Andre Melon, were making a deal with DuPot chemicals involving a new technique they had invented for creating paper. Hearst realized that if the hemp industry were to happen, then he would have a very hard time keeping up making paper the DuPont way. Not only was making paper form hemp faster, cheaper, and yielded better product, if he could erradicate the market, then it would basically eliminate his only competitor.

So, about this same time there was a scare of "marijuana" use by mexicans and blacks. There was already a lot of racial tension at this time to begin with, but pretty soon some towns in Texas began to pass ordinances on marijuana posession just to prosecute mexican workers there. There was a huge propoganda campaign warning abou the danger of "marijuana". At the time, most Americans didn't even know that the product they had used for centuries (it was once mandatory to grow hemp in some colonies) was "marijuana".

Eventually, the government handed the problem over to the treasuery department, which founded the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. Now, they headed this department with a man named Harry J. Anslinger, none other than Andrew Melon's newphew.

Through a lot more propoganda, and creating racial tensions, the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was passed. Basically, it was an act that said you could not posess, cultivate, or smoke marijuana without a special stamp from the treasuery department, but the treasuery department never gave any of the stamps out. It was basically illegal at that time.

Now, the originaly hysteria originally created still lingered, and that gave the opportunity for many other presidents to achieve political gain by being "tough" on marijuana. One of the best documentaries around on marijuana prohibition is the movie "Grass". It discusses just about everything except for the Willian Randolph Hearst bit, because that's just a conspiracy theory that Andrew Melon and William Randolph Hearst were pulling the strings.

A lot of people seem to think that if marijuana were legalized, that the government would be making huge amounts of money off of it. Well, our government isn't stupid, it's greedy. The truth is that we would even come close to making he amount of money we make off it being illegal as we would if it were legal. There would be no way to tax it, because people would simply grow it in their own homes. And With all the crooken things going on, the DEA in the pharamceutical companie's pockets, drug-testing companies making so much money, all sorts of industrities that would basically be flattened by it being legal, they would actually be making very little.

Jolly Roger
  • Jolly Roger

^ Oi.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

Its a drug. Its bad for your health.
Besides , can you imagine how things would be if everyone would be high all the time ?
I say it should stay illegal.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Jolly Roger @ Feb 18 2005, 07:33)
Its a drug. Its bad for your health.
Besides , can you imagine how things would be if everyone would be high all the time ?
I say it should stay illegal.

There are a lot of things that are worse for your health than marijuana is. Hell, there's not one recorded overdose by marijuana, and on average 111 people die a year on a caffine overdose. The majority of the air most Americans breathe is worse for you than marijuana is.

It's funny that you think there aren't barely any people that are high all the time now. Apparently you don't understand just how many people smoke weed, but it's an awful lot. Just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean people will always be using it, either. Do you actually believe that the fact that it's illegal keeps that many people from doing it? Masturbating and fornication are illegal, too, but how well does that stop people from masturbating or fornicating?

The argument is why it's illegal, and just saying, "It's a drug, it's bad for you," doesn't cut it. There's way too much documentation on chemicals that are worse for you that aren't illegal for that argument to be valid at all.

Krelian
  • Krelian

Sacrilicious

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

I hear nicotine and alcohol are the worst drugs, nicotine for its effect on the body and alcohol for its effect on society. In the end though, it always comes down to money. Perhaps weed should be legal, but it won't be 'till the numbers are right.

a_fool_from_edinburgh
  • a_fool_from_edinburgh

psychonaut

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

why is marijuana illegal?
the simple answer is its dangerous!
I'm not saying that as some anti drugs kinda guy, in fact i regularly smoke weed (always high quality skunk - stay away from the soap bar kids). Anyway if you smoke a blunt then the it does about 6X as much damage to your lungs as smoking an ordinary fag.
However other than the dangers from smoking the problems with weed become more obscure.
It has been proven that weed can f*ck with peoples heads if they; smoke to much (thats hard to believe as I'm straight in the head) or are already at risk from mental illnesses, but then if you are a nutjob (no offence to anyone who is) you should probably stay away from weed.I also recommend staying away from it if you are weak minded as weed defiantley leads to hardcore drugs but that is up to the individual user.
There are of course massive benefits to be gained from legalizing it. Despite the fact that in can f*ck folk up, it can ALSO be used medicinally to help treat severe pain and other uses for it that aren't totally clear as it is still an illegal drug here in the UK (Unlike Holland- lucky buggers).
However recent developments in the drug over the past 30 years have seen weed increase severlyey in potency (THC content) with some strains of the plant being up to 25% THC, all for the best you say?
Well is it? the cross breeding of differnet strains of cannabis may have been going on for a while but it is still relativley unexplored with growers in Holland and the rest of the world try to come up with plants that are easier t grow/ yeild bigger harvests and are more potent.
What will out herb be like in another 30 years? possibly to strong for us! the othere day i rolled a joint to hav with my aunt, she had never smoked skunk before but has been socially smoking since the 80's she was amazed at the strength of it and after afew tokes didnt want anymore. Even me and 2 friends had a joint the other month that we only smoked half of before i whiteyd and my mates K.O'd! I have never whityd before or since and have never had skunk as strong as that since EVEN IN HOLLAND! what will it be like then in years to come when we all KO after ajust a toke of a joint.....
damn, i forget where am i going with all this (f*cking short term meory) so i'll stop rambling now and see if anyone understoof a thing i just said. i know i didnt!

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (a_fool_from_edinburgh @ Feb 18 2005, 07:52)
why is marijuana illegal?
the simple answer is its dangerous!
I'm not saying that as some anti drugs kinda guy, in fact i regularly smoke weed (always high quality skunk - stay away from the soap bar kids). Anyway if you smoke a blunt then the it does about 6X as much damage to your lungs as smoking an ordinary fag.
However other than the dangers from smoking the problems with weed become more obscure.
It has been proven that weed can f*ck with peoples heads if they; smoke to much (thats hard to believe as I'm straight in the head) or are already at risk from mental illnesses, but then if you are a nutjob (no offence to anyone who is) you should probably stay away from weed.I also recommend staying away from it if you are weak minded as weed defiantley leads to hardcore drugs but that is up to the individual user.
There are of course massive benefits to be gained from legalizing it. Despite the fact that in can f*ck folk up, it can ALSO be used medicinally to help treat severe pain and other uses for it that aren't totally clear as it is still an illegal drug here in the UK (Unlike Holland- lucky buggers).
However recent developments in the drug over the past 30 years have seen weed increase severlyey in potency (THC content) with some strains of the plant being up to 25% THC, all for the best you say?
Well is it? the cross breeding of differnet strains of cannabis may have been going on for a while but it is still relativley unexplored with growers in Holland and the rest of the world try to come up with plants that are easier t grow/ yeild bigger harvests and are more potent.
What will out herb be like in another 30 years? possibly to strong for us! the othere day i rolled a joint to hav with my aunt, she had never smoked skunk before but has been socially smoking since the 80's she was amazed at the strength of it and after afew tokes didnt want anymore. Even me and 2 friends had a joint the other month that we only smoked half of before i whiteyd and my mates K.O'd! I have never whityd before or since and have never had skunk as strong as that since EVEN IN HOLLAND! what will it be like then in years to come when we all KO after ajust a toke of a joint.....
damn, i forget where am i going with all this (f*cking short term meory) so i'll stop rambling now and see if anyone understoof a thing i just said. i know i didnt!

The whole thing about one joint being equal to five cigarettes is void, and I don't know why people still quote it. It was dismissed a long time ago when it was found out that they don't test on the buds, but rather on stems and leaves. Further more, what they're testing on is very low potency anyway, so you're getting a very poor THC:Tar ratio.

There's also a lot of inconclusive studying being done on the potential for people with predisoposed shizophrenia to have it worsened by marijuana. Well, this should be obvious to most people; if you're not completely right in the head in the first place, you might not want to use a psychadellic to aggitate it.

As far as my knowledge goes on the subject of 60's and 70's style weed, is that it was just as good. This coming straight out of the mouth of hippies that I've talked with, and even some growers from the 70's era. If it has a dropped THC rating it's probably because, well, it's been degrading for a while. There's also a problem of not really being able to test for THC without smoking some of the weed, and then measuring it in a volume of gas.

Most of all of this is easily settled. You can completely eliminate the respritory effects by using a vaporizer, which is a device that will just give you THC. This can actually be beneifical, as THC dilates the bronchial passage-ways. The other solution to people using heavily is called moderation. Of course if you use something excessively, it's going to cause a problem. It's your responsibility to moderate your use so it isn't a problem.

Weed isn't completely harmless, but compared to some of the other things around, that are legal, it's ridiculous that it's even regarded as bad for you. Anyone ever heard of that fact, "If you eat 10 raw potatoes, you will die," well I don't know if it's true or not, but it would take you smoking your own weight in pure THC (not marijuana, but pure THC; that would be like getting four-times your own body weight in weed that was measured at 25% THC) and smoking it all within 15 minutes. Not only would you pass out before you could, but you'd probably die of asphyxiation befor the THC killed you.

How many people do cigarettes kill a year in the United States? Something around 600,000. 50,000 just for people that were unlucky enough to be AROUND it. Yet, they haven't outlawed tobacco yet?

a_fool_from_edinburgh
  • a_fool_from_edinburgh

psychonaut

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:31 PM Edited by a_fool_from_edinburgh, 18 February 2005 - 03:35 PM.

bollocks totally forgot about vaporizers, i loved them when i was in holland... super smooth, coolish air thats right air no smoke! Yup they are the way to go and if you can't aford one of them then bake some cakes this is also incredibly safe unless you are quite young.

The whole thing about one joint being equal to five cigarettes is void
well! There you go, but kids remeber not to put tobacco in your joint else you'll become addicted to Nicotine ( more addictive than smack so i hear)

There's also a lot of inconclusive studying being done on the potential for people with predisoposed shizophrenia to have it worsened by marijuana. Well, this should be obvious to most people; if you're not completely right in the
Yup your right its all very inconclusive

As far as my knowledge goes on the subject of 60's and 70's style weed, is that it was just as good. This coming straight out of the mouth of hippies that I've talked with, and even some growers from the 70's era. If it has a dropped THC rating it's probably because, well, it's been degrading for a while. There's also a problem of not really being able to test for THC without smoking some of the weed, and then measuring it in a volume of gas.

All of your other points my smoker friend are very good and i must agree with tme but seeing as I'm incredibly 'interested' in growing. Weed HAS changed, even over the last couple of years (the time ive spent practising 'Botany'). The first crosse over of cannabis strains occured in the U.S in the late 70's and the result was the extremly potent Skunk No1 from which pretty much all strong weed takes its slang name for, at least here in the U.K. Sure weed was good back then but its hella lot better today just ask any European grower! Also I am led to believe that the quality of weed in the U.S is much less t that of Europe, I'm sure that you can get quality sh*t but i believe its alot harder to get. Of course i do apologize if this is not the case.
The increase in THC could well become a problem. So much so, i read somewhere recntly that even the Dutch government is reviewing the legalty of Cannabis that contains such extreme amounts of THC

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (a_fool_from_edinburgh @ Feb 18 2005, 08:31)
bollocks totally forgot about vaporizers, i loved them when i was in holland... super smooth, coolish air thats right air no smoke! Yup they are the way to go and if you can't aford one of them then bake some cakes this is also incredibly safe unless you are quite young.

The whole thing about one joint being equal to five cigarettes is void
well! There you go, but kids remeber not to put tobacco in your joint else you'll become addicted to Nicotine ( more addictive than smack so i hear)

There's also a lot of inconclusive studying being done on the potential for people with predisoposed shizophrenia to have it worsened by marijuana. Well, this should be obvious to most people; if you're not completely right in the
Yup your right its all very inconclusive

All of your other points my smoker friend are very good and i must agree with tme but seeing as I'm incredibly 'interested' in growing. Weed HAS changed, even over the last couple of years (the time ive spent practising 'Botany'). The first crosse over of cannabis strains occured in the U.S in the late &0's and the result was the extremly potent Skunk No1 from which pretty much all strong weed takes its slang name for, at least here in the U.K. Sure weed was good back then but its hella lot better today just ask any European grower!
The increase in THC could well become a problem. So much so, i read somewhere recntly that even the Dutch government is reviewing the legalty of Cannabis that contains such extreme amounts of THC

Yeah, I'm not debating that the cultivation techniques haven't changed, but you have to realize that before there was indoor growing, it could sill be grown outdoors. I've spoken with quite a few people that have said they smoked a lot of grass back in the 60's and 70's that could hold its own against today's marijuana.

I'm sure you've heard the argumen yourself, but more potency should actually be a good thing. If we're talking about how much you actually need to get high with this potent version, you'll wind up smoking a lot less of it. Less lung-damage right off the bat.

a_fool_from_edinburgh
  • a_fool_from_edinburgh

psychonaut

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

I'm sure you've heard the argumen yourself, but more potency should actually be a good thing. If we're talking about how much you actually need to get high with this potent version, you'll wind up smoking a lot less of it. Less lung-damage right off the bat.

I hadn't heard that argument myself!!!! I've never looked at it like that, i don't understand, being a smoker i should have realized that i could now get just as stoned but with less. Damn it, oh well.... I'm off to kick myself repeatedly for that...

infinity_temp
  • infinity_temp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:15 PM

@topicstarter -

marijuana is illegal because europe signed a trade agreement with turkey, and the only way turkey was gonna sign it was if they made cannibis illegal

opium is illegal because chinese ppl used it to work better at boring jobs, which drove the white americans to be pissed off (cos they lost their jobs to the chinese) and so they pressure their friends in congress to do something about it.

crack is illegal because similar to the above, except replace chinese with africans and jobs with something else (forgot what)

all the above info i got off http://www.cannabis.com/

Skins
  • Skins

Steal your face

• The Precinct

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (infinity_temp @ Feb 18 2005, 23:15)
@topicstarter -

marijuana is illegal because europe signed a trade agreement with turkey, and the only way turkey was gonna sign it was if they made cannibis illegal

opium is illegal because chinese ppl used it to work better at boring jobs, which drove the white americans to be pissed off (cos they lost their jobs to the chinese) and so they pressure their friends in congress to do something about it.

crack is illegal because similar to the above, except replace chinese with africans and jobs with something else (forgot what)

all the above info i got off http://www.cannabis.com/

You do know that there are many other reasons why those three stated drugs are illegal, don't you? There isn't just one set reason why they're banned,

The Sicillian
  • The Sicillian

I shot 2pac and killed Elvis on the crapper

• Members

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:22 AM

Just because nicotine and alcohol are bad for you and legal doesn't mean weed should be legal. Citing something bad that is legal is not a good argument for legalizing another bad thing.

And as someone else said, imagine if everyone was high. Americans are so obsessed with weed, if it was legalized, sh*t would fly in all directions.

Leftcoast
  • Leftcoast

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:17 AM

And as someone else said, imagine if everyone was high. Americans are so obsessed with weed, if it was legalized, sh*t would fly in all directions.

Because you have shown that you have a lack of knowledge in many fields, I will say this once more.
You can get over the counter drugs that are worse for you and get you far more high than weed, (that's what a good friend of mine who happens to be a pharmacist says. And I can tell you from personal experience, there are some realy powerful over the counter drugs out there). You can even go to your local nursery (plants, not kids) and get yourself realy f%^&$d up with commen house plants if you do your homework.

Now, I'm not being cocky, but I can tell that I have wayyyyyyy more scientific experience than you. Point being, listen and learn....

jizzyman
  • jizzyman

BB(Q)King

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:09 PM

I say people should have the right to be stupid and the right to be smart. I mean weed is made to look so bad that insead of weed people take heavier stuff like coke or heroine, its like a huge focus to demonize marijuana while the others are just left alone, but that branches out into another question, if marijuana should be legal why shouldnt cocaine, its a heavier drug yeah sure but you might as well

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (The Sicillian @ Feb 18 2005, 19:22)
Just because nicotine and alcohol are bad for you and legal doesn't mean weed should be legal. Citing something bad that is legal is not a good argument for legalizing another bad thing.

I wasn't using that as an argument to say that marijuana should be legal. I'm just saying that because there are legal things out like nicotine, alochol, aspirin, caffeine, ad infintium that it's not valid for someone to use he argument, "Well, it's bad for your health." There's not been one 100% valid documentd overdose on THC. There's not one documented case of lung-cancer that was caused by smoking marijuana. According to Francis J. Young, the DEA's administrative judge, "nearly all medicines have toxicm, potentially letal affects, but marijuana is not such a substance...Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care" (DEA Docket No. 86-22, 57).

What is it that makes you believe our current law system is actually what is causing us to not be high all the time. Hell, what is that actually leads you to believe that we're not already high all the time? Just because a drug was made legal, doesn't mean all our senses of responsibility will be taken away, and we'll start getting high before going out to drive, and show up to work as a fork-lift operator high. That kind of thinking is just absoultely and totally void, and doesn't belong in the D&D. There's no real logical step between, "Well, if it's legal, people are going to go ape sh*t." It doesn't work like that, man. Just a few months ago Brazil legalized all drugs--marijuana, coke, heroin, E, whatever--and they're doing fine. The same can be said for our own state of Alaska, which just passed an act which legalizes home use. The law is not as effective to the point where if it was lifted, everything would go chatoic, as you think. There probably aren't even very many people that don't practice home-use because of the law, so I don't see how the number of people now that get high and do stupid sh*t will rise. We still have DUI's, we would still have stipulations in our work-place to not be high. Just because you wouldn't be arrested for having posession, doesn't mean you'd just start using it completely irresponsibly.

Leftcoast is also right. In high doses, DXM--the active ingredient to most cough medicationsw--can cause hallucinations, out-of-body experiences, you name it. You can legally buy it, take it, go out and drive and kill someone. Not everyone does it, which eliminates your idea of, "Well, if it were legal, people would just do it whenever."

Well, jizzyman, although I don't like drug prohibition in any sense, I think the reasons as to why marijuana to be an exception ar obvious. It's the safest around, no one has OD'd on it, it doesn't serve as much of a significant abuse problem, and has huge medical advantages to it.

shadealorian
  • shadealorian

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (jizzyman @ Feb 19 2005, 13:09)
I say people should have the right to be stupid and the right to be smart. I mean weed is made to look so bad that insead of weed people take heavier stuff like coke or heroine, its like a huge focus to demonize marijuana while the others are just left alone, but that branches out into another question, if marijuana should be legal why shouldnt cocaine, its a heavier drug yeah sure but you might as well

that was a vaild point, if all the morans and dumbassess where high all the time it would be a better place and evewryone would nice and there would be no war, think about it every bastard stoned I would like to see wallmart in action then,
I mean that did shut up the morans then they could shift to black tar herion, hard core cocaine or maybe amphetamines, the world would a betterplace if they Overdosed (why the hell do you americans shorten this small word?).

The Sicillian
  • The Sicillian

I shot 2pac and killed Elvis on the crapper

• Members

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Leftcoast @ Feb 19 2005, 09:17)

Because you have shown that you have a lack of knowledge in many fields, I will say this once more.
You can get over the counter drugs that are worse for you and get you far more high than weed, (that's what a good friend of mine who happens to be a pharmacist says. And I can tell you from personal experience, there are some realy powerful over the counter drugs out there). You can even go to your local nursery (plants, not kids) and get yourself realy f%^&$d up with commen house plants if you do your homework.

Now, I'm not being cocky, but I can tell that I have wayyyyyyy more scientific experience than you. Point being, listen and learn....

Well, loath though I am to question your infinite knowledge, I said that bad things on the market legally does not justify legalizing something else thats bad for you. Saying "well, you can get high with over the counter drugs" is simply not a suitable argument. Most of that sh*t should be illegal as well, or at least more tightly controlled

GetawayInStockholm
  • GetawayInStockholm

Blue Powder

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:52 AM

Marijuana: A Misinterpreted Plant

What is the first thing that comes to our minds when marijuana is mentioned? Is it illegal, harmful, destructive, or is it beneficial? In the meantime, the first words that come to our societyís mind are illegal, or harmful. Illegal so far, but is it harmful? The effects of marijuana have been misconstrued by our society for a long time and it is time to set the record straight. What about the hidden aspects of hemp? But there is one thing that most people would never think of saying. Marijuana is not harmful.

Unlike many drugs such as cocaine, or particular painkillers, marijuana is not addictive. Cocaine is naturally produced in the human body. Its purpose is to prevent us humans from feeling the pain produced by our body functions. Such pains can be exerted for daily internal organ activities such as digestion, once a person snorts cocaine, almost instantly, their body stops producing cocaine, consequently this process leaves the user totally dependent upon external sources for cocaine, and in other words the user is addicted. On the other hand, marijuana or THC (tetrehyrdrocannibinol) the main organic chemical found in marijuana, is not produced by the human body, thereby the chances of a person getting addicted to it are very unlikely. This is one of the leading reason to the overwhelming popularity of marijuana over cocaine, heroin.

Since marijuana is very safe to use in terms of addiction, doctors across North America have been using it as a medicine. Marijuana has proven to cure glaucoma, an eye disease characterized by high intraocular fluid pressure. In addition, marijuana has also proven to help fight depression better than anti-depressants. Not only that it provides better results, but it also shows less negative side effects. The reason being is that marijuana is one hundred percent organic. Anti-depressants on the other hand contain a number of inorganic chemicals that affect body functions in many negative ways. The push to the medical exercise of marijuana is still being debated, while some come up with different uses for it every day, others choose to spend their time criticizing and bugging users.

Lastly, the number one misinterpretation of marijuana is itís comparison with cigarettes. Many people believe that marijuana is just as bad as cigarettes, yet there has never been one recorded case of lung cancer or any type of cancer due to the consumption of marijuana. Ultimately, this leaves marijuana supporters puzzled and conflicted, why is it banned if it is not bad.

The answer to this question according to the government is its health effects. Yet if our government were to legalize it, most illegal dealers would run out of business, consequently reducing marijuana related gang violence in some communities and possibly controlling the age at which people have their first encounter with marijuana. Such tactics were used by the Australian government to reduce cocaine trafficking. The Australian government permitted cocaine to be a prescription drug, by that, addicts were able to quit for a cheaper price and they did not have to go through the pressure put on them by their dealers. This principle can be applied to marijuana whether it is to help people quit, or whether it is to help people obtain a better breed.

Hemp-oline over gasoline? Bio-diesel is a bio-fuel produced through transesterification, a process in which organically- derived oils are combined with alcohol in the presence of a catalyst to form ethyl or methyl ester. The result can be blended with either diesel fuel or can be used as a neat fuel. Biodiesel can be made from renewable oilseed crops, such as hemp. It would only take about 6% of U.S. land to make the United States an energy-independent country. Biodiesel is also convenient, as it can be stored anywhere petroleum or diesel is stored, and safer to transport as it has a flashpoint of 300į F while petroleum diesel fuel has a flashpoint of 125į F.

Paper, paper bags, card board boxes, toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, paper plates, paper cups can all be made from marijuana. If marijuana hadnít been abolished in 1937 then America wouldíve still had 70% of its natural forest. Marijuana can also be used to make clothing as it is more insulating, softer, stronger, and durable. Marijuana as clothing is also more water absorbent, and breathes more so itís the best of all worlds. Marijuana can also be used as a paper and is actually better than paper, since it doesnít go yellow, crack, or deteriorate.

So marijuana isnít so bad all of a sudden, yet itís still illegal. Marijuana is better than some prescription drugs, can save trees, and also can be an alternate fuel source. Finally, the reputation of marijuana is dependent upon to factors, its portrayal by the media, and the way it is used by its users.

I got an A- for that essay, and if you want to use it, please just ask.
<3JN

WalkerBoh
  • WalkerBoh

smells quite odiferous

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (GetawayInStockholm @ Feb 20 2005, 19:52)
Marijuana: A Misinterpreted Plant

What is the first thing that comes to our minds when marijuana is mentioned? Is it illegal, harmful, destructive, or is it beneficial? In the meantime, the first words that come to our societyís mind are illegal, or harmful. Illegal so far, but is it harmful? The effects of marijuana have been misconstrued by our society for a long time and it is time to set the record straight. What about the hidden aspects of hemp? But there is one thing that most people would never think of saying. Marijuana is not harmful.

Unlike many drugs such as cocaine, or particular painkillers, marijuana is not addictive. Cocaine is naturally produced in the human body. Its purpose is to prevent us humans from feeling the pain produced by our body functions. Such pains can be exerted for daily internal organ activities such as digestion, once a person snorts cocaine, almost instantly, their body stops producing cocaine, consequently this process leaves the user totally dependent upon external sources for cocaine, and in other words the user is addicted. On the other hand, marijuana or THC (tetrehyrdrocannibinol) the main organic chemical found in marijuana, is not produced by the human body, thereby the chances of a person getting addicted to it are very unlikely. This is one of the leading reason to the overwhelming popularity of marijuana over cocaine, heroin.

Since marijuana is very safe to use in terms of addiction, doctors across North America have been using it as a medicine. Marijuana has proven to cure glaucoma, an eye disease characterized by high intraocular fluid pressure. In addition, marijuana has also proven to help fight depression better than anti-depressants. Not only that it provides better results, but it also shows less negative side effects. The reason being is that marijuana is one hundred percent organic. Anti-depressants on the other hand contain a number of inorganic chemicals that affect body functions in many negative ways. The push to the medical exercise of marijuana is still being debated, while some come up with different uses for it every day, others choose to spend their time criticizing and bugging users.

Lastly, the number one misinterpretation of marijuana is itís comparison with cigarettes. Many people believe that marijuana is just as bad as cigarettes, yet there has never been one recorded case of lung cancer or any type of cancer due to the consumption of marijuana. Ultimately, this leaves marijuana supporters puzzled and conflicted, why is it banned if it is not bad.

The answer to this question according to the government is its health effects. Yet if our government were to legalize it, most illegal dealers would run out of business, consequently reducing marijuana related gang violence in some communities and possibly controlling the age at which people have their first encounter with marijuana. Such tactics were used by the Australian government to reduce cocaine trafficking. The Australian government permitted cocaine to be a prescription drug, by that, addicts were able to quit for a cheaper price and they did not have to go through the pressure put on them by their dealers. This principle can be applied to marijuana whether it is to help people quit, or whether it is to help people obtain a better breed.

Hemp-oline over gasoline? Bio-diesel is a bio-fuel produced through transesterification, a process in which organically- derived oils are combined with alcohol in the presence of a catalyst to form ethyl or methyl ester. The result can be blended with either diesel fuel or can be used as a neat fuel. Biodiesel can be made from renewable oilseed crops, such as hemp. It would only take about 6% of U.S. land to make the United States an energy-independent country. Biodiesel is also convenient, as it can be stored anywhere petroleum or diesel is stored, and safer to transport as it has a flashpoint of 300į F while petroleum diesel fuel has a flashpoint of 125į F.

Paper, paper bags, card board boxes, toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, paper plates, paper cups can all be made from marijuana. If marijuana hadnít been abolished in 1937 then America wouldíve still had 70% of its natural forest. Marijuana can also be used to make clothing as it is more insulating, softer, stronger, and durable. Marijuana as clothing is also more water absorbent, and breathes more so itís the best of all worlds. Marijuana can also be used as a paper and is actually better than paper, since it doesnít go yellow, crack, or deteriorate.

So marijuana isnít so bad all of a sudden, yet itís still illegal. Marijuana is better than some prescription drugs, can save trees, and also can be an alternate fuel source. Finally, the reputation of marijuana is dependent upon to factors, its portrayal by the media, and the way it is used by its users.

I got an A- for that essay, and if you want to use it, please just ask.
<3JN

Nice essay. A lot of key things about mary jane.

I never new about that bit about cocaine, interesting.

sh*t I cant type right now... comeback later

SloStenRacing
  • SloStenRacing

Crawlin' S-10

• Members

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

There's not been one 100% valid documentd overdose on THC. 

@ SagaciousKJB There is also only ONE known overdoes on the drug LSD and it was because the guy shot 340 some odd hits directly into his body via a needle he thought was meth. That does not mean that this drug should be legalized.

@ GetawayInStockholm Your teacher actually believe this BS? Show me a reputible source that says Cocaine is produced in your body and I will give you credit. Until that comes to me I am throwing up a BS flag. Cocaine does add the effect of feeling less pain and there is obviously something in your body naturally that prevents you from feeling some small pains but it IS NOT cocaine. Cocaine is a plant plain and simple and your body does not grow plants. On top of this I would like to add that America has blown the addictivness (is that even a word tounge2.gif ) way out of proportion. They make it like everyone is hooked when they try it and must have it. I am here to say that I along with probably very easily 6 of the people I hang out with on a regular basis have tried it and ARE NOT addicted to it. We DO NOT need it. We CAN control ourselves when around it. It is all a mind over matter subject. Some people are just born vulnerable I guess.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:57 PM Edited by SagaciousKJB, 21 February 2005 - 05:07 PM.

QUOTE (SloStenRacing @ Feb 21 2005, 09:31)
There's not been one 100% valid documentd overdose on THC. 

@ SagaciousKJB There is also only ONE known overdoes on the drug LSD and it was because the guy shot 340 some odd hits directly into his body via a needle he thought was meth. That does not mean that this drug should be legalized.

@ GetawayInStockholm Your teacher actually believe this BS? Show me a reputible source that says Cocaine is produced in your body and I will give you credit. Until that comes to me I am throwing up a BS flag. Cocaine does add the effect of feeling less pain and there is obviously something in your body naturally that prevents you from feeling some small pains but it IS NOT cocaine. Cocaine is a plant plain and simple and your body does not grow plants. On top of this I would like to add that America has blown the addictivness (is that even a word tounge2.gif ) way out of proportion. They make it like everyone is hooked when they try it and must have it. I am here to say that I along with probably very easily 6 of the people I hang out with on a regular basis have tried it and ARE NOT addicted to it. We DO NOT need it. We CAN control ourselves when around it. It is all a mind over matter subject. Some people are just born vulnerable I guess.

I never argued that LSD's relatively low toxicity level should be the reason why it was legalized. In fact, I'm not that much of a fan of LSD, and don't know THAT much about it. I just think that all drug prohibition is a pointless endeavor that only serves one purpose, and that is to control the American people (and of the world thanks to our foreign drug policy) and make money.

Also, I don't know how accurate GIS's information is either, but what he described does happen with a certain drug. I'm not sure if it is cocaine or not however; I thought that it was actually heroin. Heroin is basically pure opium, and that's what your brain needs to hit those opioid receptors and kill the pain of bodily functions. Now, also, when you begin to be dependant on heroin, your body stops producing the opioids naturally.

And as with cocaine, the addiction I've heard is actually far more psychological thanit is physiological. But that's all I can comment.

Also, as a side note, delta9-terahydrocannibinol(THC), which is as GIS stated the active ingredient in marijuana, is nearly molecularly identical with another cannabinoid that your brain produces naturally. You have arrangements of cannabinoid receptors all over your brain, and that identical cannabinoid anadamide, binds itself to these to stimulate the release of other chemicals like dopamine, seritonin, and other neurotransmitters. The reason that THC alters your state of reality is becaue it controls the release of these neurotransmitters in a far different way than anadamide does.

Now, there has been some speculation done by NIDA that over time, the synapses at where these neurotransmitters could fall of from "over-use", and effectively lowering your supply of dopamine, and steritonin. They've also blatantly stated that it should act in the same way as heroin, wherease your body stops producing the anadamide chemical. But, looking bakcward over the huge years of using cannabis, if that effect is a real potential, it's releatively mild.

Believe it or not, though, there are some physical withdrawal symptoms from cannabis. Most people that feel them are ones who smoke everyday, for years. They usually include sleeplessness, anxiety, headaches, cold sweats, and stomach aches. Ironically of all the people that I know that even report withrawal symptoms, it's usually two to three nights of restless sleep, slight anxiety for the first few days not high, and stomach aches. I've never once had anyone tell me they had a headache or cold sweats.

The amount needed to reach that kind of physical withdrawal is ridiculous, however, and exceeds moderate use by a pretty large about. Most "chronic" users feel these effects, and I define "chronic" user as someone who smokes 1-3 grams of high quality marijuana every day, and constantly being intoxicated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users