Photo

Attention Please!

56 replies to this topic
Azkoyen
  • Azkoyen

Pixie Headed Freak

• Members

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:41 PM

Opened and unpinned, cause people need to see it. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always missing locked and pinned topics. If this topic doesn't get enough action to keep it afloat, then we'll pin it, but we'll let people have their say on it for the time being. Basically, lets let it advertise itself.

Anuj, feel free to bumb it if you feel it's required. Note to spammers: I said Anuj, not the next person looking for a post_count++!

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (Dr. Rotten @ Feb 17 2005, 00:09)
QUOTE (Moto @ Feb 17 2005, 00:02)
QUOTE (Dr. Rotten @ Feb 16 2005, 18:55)
(Grins as the "leet Veterans" scwerm under the newly enforced rules devil.gif )
This new rule is not taking away your right to an opinion its taking your right as a "Leet Vetran" to be an ass hole!

Moto grins at not only the f*ckwad not being able to spell squirms, but also not knowing how to use the me tags.

Oh sorry Im a noob and a apperently a "f*ckWad" sorry o great one...

Sorry Azko, just need to get a point across.

@Rotten, People like you are not helping calm things down.

So, listen to anuj and just shhh.

DiVaio
  • DiVaio

• Members

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

I think it's time for a summary:

- Telling people that their artwork sucks helps nobody. Say it sucks, and tell them why it does. You can't improve if you don't know what you've done wrong.

- Don't give the better GFX'ers a reason to flame you. If you think a piece turned out well, don't be shoutin: Best piece Ever OMG!!!111!! and sh*t like that.

Like Anuj said, it has to come from both sides.

OldDirtyBastard
  • OldDirtyBastard

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

When I posted my first pixel art piece I got my ass chewed out, but it's only words and in the end it makes you a stronger person. "f*ck you, you suck" only makes me try to get better, and shove it in these asshole's faces. That's just me though.

Reincarnated
  • Reincarnated

feels good man

• Members

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:52 PM

I agree that the newbies that do post, uh, less than good 'graphics' shouldn't get the sh*t flamed outta them. The main reason they can't do any better, is because no one is helping them!. When I started in graphics I was pretty sh*t, but I never posted any of my stuff. I looked at other people topics, and learned what looks good, how to balance if it looks good and my style, then read tutorials, and tried them. On my own, without help, tried to become better. Now I am a moderately good graphics, uh, person.

Now not everyone is like me, they need help. Its the only way they learn. Newbies just need a chance. Give them that chance. Even if they suck, if they honestly want to become better, we should help them. People that want to become great graphicers(sp), can! Its very easy, as long as they have the drive, and the help.

Azkoyen
  • Azkoyen

Pixie Headed Freak

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

Bump. Might soon be time to pin this.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

az, and here's me thinking this topic was going to be about your sexy sig.. tounge.gif

yeh, lay off the graphics newbies, it's not their fault entirley.. either way, doesn't deserve a flame.

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

Azkoyen, Anuj, way to put your foot down.

It seems like alot of things on the boards nowadays are becoming elitist. sigh.gif

Toro.
  • Toro.

Traded for dollar bills.

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

- Telling people that their artwork sucks helps nobody. Say it sucks, and tell them why it does. You can't improve if you don't know what you've done wrong.

If someone says its sucks it means that the sig (et cetera) is sh*t and you should give up on it and start a new piece. You can't improve something thats beyond help.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Toro. @ Feb 22 2005, 13:48)

If someone says its sucks it means that the sig (et cetera) is sh*t and you should give up on it and start a new piece. You can't improve something thats beyond help.

Your sig sucks.

Your argument that one word denotes that the artist should restart completely reminds me of a phrase that rhymes with 'flucking cupid'.

Toro.
  • Toro.

Traded for dollar bills.

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

Your sig sucks.

Your argument that one word denotes that the artist should restart completely reminds me of a phrase that rhymes with 'flucking cupid'.

Eh? You sigs nothing special either.

back on topic.. I dont tihnk i expressed myself well enough. What i meant was that if you get the sh*t ripped out of you by the 'lite it means start again because the piece if beyond help.

MsNobody
  • MsNobody

Playstation Portable

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:40 PM

That isn't always the case, some people just have something up their ass and decide to flame someone for the hell of it.

Azkoyen
  • Azkoyen

Pixie Headed Freak

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

You might be right Toro, but that's not what's being discussed here. I (and others) are talking about the tendancy for 'vets' to attack the poster rather than the piece. Sure, you can call a piece crap if you want, but the point I'm trying to make is that saying somethings crap just isn't good enough anymore. You have to explain WHY it's crap, and possibly give advice on how to make it better. If everyone was to delete work they've done just cause one person didn't like it, well, the world would be a pretty crap place.

Take my (this) post as an example, and then compare it to anuj's. I know anuj could've made a descriptive post instead of writing the tripe he did, but that's just the thing. People are used to verbal abuse in this forum, and I'd really like it to stop.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:56 PM

Do you want us to report posts like that?

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Toro. @ Feb 22 2005, 16:30)
Your sig sucks.

Eh? You sigs nothing special either.

back on topic.. I dont tihnk i expressed myself well enough. What i meant was that if you get the sh*t ripped out of you by the 'lite it means start again because the piece if beyond help.

Well, sure. Your new post accurately describes this place. The sig had nothing to do with it, boopsie.

@azko - Tripe? How dare you, kind sir.

Krelian
  • Krelian

Sacrilicious

• Members

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

Constructive criticism is where it's at. It's entirely possible to tell someone they did a sh*tty job without attacking them; I do it all the time. If you don't care enough to make a comment that may be useful somehow, what point is there in posting?

Posting criticism to assert your dominance is immature and stupid. Posting criticism to point out flaws in something that the creator should address is helpful and constructive.

I dont tihnk i expressed myself well enough. What i meant was that if you get the sh*t ripped out of you by the 'lite it means start again because the piece if beyond help.

If you get the sh*t ripped out of you by the elite and you don't come out of it with constructive points you can improve on (or at least valid flaws in whatever it is you're making), it means the 'elite' are f*cking immature pricks.

Cheers to the staffers

Toro.
  • Toro.

Traded for dollar bills.

• Members

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:37 PM

fanx gudnes 1m n07 3l3373!!1, [/bold]

Yuck Fou
  • Yuck Fou

<3 Mar

• Members

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:53 AM

From what I've seen this thread has -really- helped. Good job Azkoy. I havn't seen one post like the post's above since this thread hit page two. Nice. smile.gif

Azkoyen
  • Azkoyen

Pixie Headed Freak

• Members

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

Apparently, this 'new rule' is working well. To be honest, I'm shocked and stunned at that. Shocked, stunned, and quite delighted biggrin.gif

I'm gonna pin this now as a constant reminder to you all.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Azkoyen @ Mar 1 2005, 02:31)
Apparently, this 'new rule' is working well. To be honest, I'm shocked and stunned at that. Shocked, stunned, and quite delighted biggrin.gif

mad.gif YUO SHUD HAF LISTEND 2 ME @ FURST.

wink.gif

It has helped a little bit. People (myself included) will always have the urge to be assholes but I think community participation has gone up because people aren't AS afraid of getting reamed a new asshole.

Azkoyen
  • Azkoyen

Pixie Headed Freak

• Members

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Mar 1 2005, 15:40)
Apparently, this 'new rule' is working well.  To be honest, I'm shocked and stunned at that.  Shocked, stunned, and quite delighted biggrin.gif

wink.gif

It has helped a little bit. People (myself included) will always have the urge to be assholes but I think community participation has gone up because people aren't AS afraid of getting reamed a new asshole.

Yeah, I know, but as I said I always felt that pinning a topic is a great way of hiding it tounge.gif

And I'm glad to hear the place is getting more friendly to the 'newbs'. We can only hope it continues biggrin.gif

KrazY
  • KrazY

• Members

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Mar 1 2005, 10:40)
Apparently, this 'new rule' is working well.  To be honest, I'm shocked and stunned at that.  Shocked, stunned, and quite delighted biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Yes it has. Looks like more and more topics have been popping up in this forum since this rule was implemented by Az.

Dakin
  • Dakin

N/A

• The Precinct

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (KrazY @ Mar 1 2005, 12:58)

Yes it has. Looks like more and more topics have been popping up in this forum since this rule was implemented by Az.

The threat has worked well, and that's good...
but the new topics are pretty much all requests (which is the way it sort of always was) with the occasional WIP.
The ultimate goal is to get more people committed to this kind of hobby, in order to have a large and higher quality body of works churning through here daily. This kind of thing will eventually help that, as we'll build up our roots (gaining initial interest in people) a bit more.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

I'm not sure if the change in rules affected the community as much as the pixel fad did.
Every one and their puppy on these forums is giving pixel a shot and learning. I mean it's not overly complex to do so ever one is getting envolved. These section of the forum is seeing more life then it has in a long while becuase of the 2G sponosed project.

Kinda ironic that the same elite group that were killing the newb participation are now the ones that are sponosoring it.
Thanks 2G.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:18 AM

I'd like to say that this helped me out, I posted some crappy first attempt at pixelart, I knew the "you suck set yourself on fire and jump out the window" types would flame me but figured I'd give it a shot anyway.
I got one or two of those but mostly people threw a little constructive in with the criticism.
I have no problem being told my work sucks especially since it does but if not for the helpful comments I would have had no chance of making any improvement.

Night Eyes
  • Night Eyes

Yarghhh

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

Wow, this rule has actually worked, for better or worse.

Umm, has anyone noticed the decline of people and quality of the sigs? And people saying that something is "good" when its clearly not?

Eh, maybe I am just being paranoid...

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

The noobs will say anything looks good.

I try to do as much as I can, but I have exams just now.

And the decline in quality... yeah well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users