Photo

About the northern island....

20 replies to this topic
illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:24 PM

Erm, yea, about that island. Well, after playing with it for a ages and learning lots of new stuff along the way, I've come to the conclusion that the new island sucks ass. The layout will be just horribly random, cramped, and jumbled once all the streets are put in place. So, yea, I'll be nuking the whole thing now. Well, all of it except black mesa, as that's turned out rather well. Hopefully this will actually speed up the release, as I won't have to struggle with fitting roads to what in retrospect is a totally amatuerish mess.

Sorry about the delay. suicidal.gif

JoaoBio
  • JoaoBio

Ubuntu Linux!

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

No cryani.gif I loved that island anyway, can you be more explicit? Where was the problem with the island? Only the road layouts? Good luck redoing everything again illy....

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

Can you release it anyway as a non-official island for Myriad ? I never got to see it ingame.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

I dunno, releasing it as-is even would take a good day or so just to split it up into bits small enough to have col files. The new version will have the same general feel to it. It's just so messy now that it's beyond saving.

Oh, and by the way. I've never seen anyone post the actual size of the magic-wall box. Ever. So, I just went and tracked down the size myself. Surely someone else has figured it out before, but in case anyone else is curious, the invisible boundry walls are like so:

North and south walls are at @ 1948 y
East wall is @ 1548 x
West wall is @ -2348 x

Anyhoo, back to making triangles now...

Or, umm, if anyone really wants to see the old thing, there's this. Isn't all the way textured, doesn't have Black Mesa, and only exists as an LOD, but it's ehough to get an idea what it would have looked like.

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

Damn, I was looking forward to that. Well lets hope the new one will be shexier/better layed out then. tounge.gif

JoaoBio
  • JoaoBio

Ubuntu Linux!

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Somebody that knows what to do could slipt the lods and like BW said realese it as unofficial... That way you woulnd't have the job to split it... Tho if it had black mesa it would be nice.... Anyway i am installing it from preview now... tounge.gif

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

your fired tounge.gif nah not really........ biggrin.gif it would be a shame to waste it, i would happily help put this ingame as an unnofficial add on for myriad, it would make a nice little space filler until the finished official island is released.
thats twice i've agreed with Barton in one day..........i think i must be ill suicidal.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

Hell of a decision, since you spent so damn much time on it. dontgetit.gif
What do you want to do different this time, or what did you do wrong the first time? Found out how to use texture blending or what? wink.gif

Maybe cerb wants to help with the layout? tounge2.gif

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

so that means I have more time to do "tunnel" thing?
huh good for me

any pix of tha islanda ?

Ekamentus
  • Ekamentus

Myriad Modeller

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

Are you making a kind of the Mount Chilliad? But have you pictures, can't wait for it.

Superb@ll
  • Superb@ll

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

Damn, it looked pretty good in my eyes.

I guess you're having the same problem as I do,
you're finding it sh*te when you've improved.

That's exactly why I threw away meh old beach hotel tounge.gif

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

Nothing seem to have changed since I last saw it last year.
user posted image

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:56 PM

Well since its a big decision for you to make and you've made it I understand totally since your not happy wihth how it looks and having that over your head is a begger for punishment when complaints and problems do arise. Oh well lets hope for a new and improved island.

REspawn
  • REspawn

REgent

• Members

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:13 PM

Dam it Mr. Spirit, that island rocked.
Tis a pitty your not going to continue it, but in the end if your not happy with the way its turned out then thats all that counts.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:20 PM

Ah well, if you're not happy with it, chances are we wouldn't have been either. How long do you think it would take for you to remake it, now that you've got new skills?

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:49 AM

Its a shame... Well hope the new island turns out better!

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

After talking to illspirit for ages, he seems certain that the new version of this iwll be much better, in all areas. I trust his judgement on this one too. smile.gif

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Feb 9 2005, 14:11)
After talking to illspirit for ages, he seems certain that the new version of this iwll be much better, in all areas. I trust his judgement on this one too. smile.gif

yes... it's makes me want to send my "sr5lot" to hell and make better1

Blatent
  • Blatent

complete noob

• Members

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:22 PM

its a real shame to hear this illy it did look gd wink.gif

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Snow Racer @ Feb 9 2005, 14:32)
QUOTE (GT-1 @ Feb 9 2005, 14:11)

yes... it's makes me want to send my "sr5lot" to hell and make better1

Maby you could redo that skyscraper with the 2 large interiors including a large bowling alley that you had to scrap because the bowling code didn't work. You could try it with a working bowling code. Nah, just kidding. Who needs a bowling alley. Sims stuff. Sorry for spamming again.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (illspirit @ Feb 8 2005, 16:06)
Oh, and by the way. I've never seen anyone post the actual size of the magic-wall box. Ever. So, I just went and tracked down the size myself. Surely someone else has figured it out before, but in case anyone else is curious, the invisible boundry walls are like so:

North and south walls are at @ 1948 y
East wall is @ 1548 x
West wall is @ -2348 x

they were found out by opius before, my data tool radar shows the border too smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users