Photo

Cerbera's Tutorials

18 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:40 PM Edited by Cerbera, 12 August 2007 - 11:33 AM.

(Collection) Cerbera's Tutorials
Check my website's Tutorials for GTA index for an up to date list. This topic is no longer maintained.

Introduction
Since I have written so many tutorials, guides and specifications for the GTA series it would be impractical for me to make a new topic for each of them. There are about 50 completed ones and 58 in total, which means there would be an entire forum page full of my topics. Which would be a bit greedy, imho. I spoke to Dup about this over MSN and we agreed that creating a new topic for each tutorial would be a bad idea for all concerned.

Therefore I am recreating the GTA Tutorials page from my website in this topic. That web page is updated when I write a new tutorial but this topic is not. It became too much work keeping all my tutorials listed in XHTML and BBCode.

Texts Index

Works In Progress
Title Description Updated
Information: Timeline Aims to become the ultimate list of all important GTA dates. Contact me to contribute. 2005-05-30
Setup: Important Editors The most useful tools and files. 2004-12-28
Paths: Manual Editing Step-by-step guide to adding a path using a text editor. 2004-12-21
Models: Hybrids Explains whether vehicles can travel on combinations of land, sea or air. 2005-05-30
Coding: Phones Setting up and using the payphones for missions. 2004-12-21

GTASA
Handling: Definition Basic specification of the "handling.cfg" file. 2004-12-21

GTAVC
Paths: Definition Complete specification for the "paths.ipl" file. 2004-12-21

GTA3 & GTAVC
Handling: Acceleration Graphs of how these editions handle acceleration. 2004-12-21
Handling: Converting How to convert GTA3 handling to GTAVC and visa versa. 2004-12-21
Handling: Dimensions I thought these settings were useless but they do have an effect. 2005-03-09
Handling: Detailed Acceleration Graphs to illustrate the weird effect of mass upon top speed. 2005-01-18
Handling: FAQ Frequently asked questions are answered here. 2005-01-04
Handling: Suspension Graph and equations to help solve the complicated suspension setting. 2004-12-21
Handling: Traction Guidance on setting up the traction values for vehicles. 2005-01-28
Handling: Why Bother? An article about why customised handling is important. 2004-12-21
Models: Proportions An article about why making new cars to the correct dimensions is important. 2004-12-21
Setup: Installing Cars How to add custom cars from this site into GTA3 and GTAVC. 2004-12-21
Setup: Multiple Installs Instructions on how to make additional copies on your PC. 2004-12-21

GTA3
Handling: Moonbeam Trials Step-by-step guide of how I would change the setup for the Moonbeam. 2004-12-21

GTA2
Coding: Angles Simple list of what numbers correspond to the four-point compass. 2005-03-29
Coding: Characters Exhaustive guide to creating, managing and respawning mission characters. 2005-03-29
Coding: Frenzies The complete guide to handling one of the most fun aspects of GTA. 2005-03-29
Coding: Gangs Creating zones and using some oddities to your advantage. 2005-03-29
Coding: Government Details on how to alter the wanted level in code and which agencies get activated. 2005-03-29
Coding: Lights Adding static, flashing or fading landscape lights. 2005-03-29
Coding: Multiplayer Very basic guide to multiplayer support but has links to advanced resources. 2004-12-21
Coding: Objects Listing every object in the game and demonstrating how to use them. 2005-03-29
Coding: Phones Shows the four different types of phones and how to create them. 2005-03-29
Coding: Remote Control A little-used but very entertaining feature examined in full. 2005-03-29
Coding: Save Points Setting up the locations which allow the player to save their game. 2005-03-29
Coding: Shops An essential part of any decent level, vehicle shops are a lot of fun. 2005-03-29
Coding: Sound Adding environmental sounds for ambience or synchronised with actions. 2005-03-29
Coding: Timers Setting up and managing timers makes your missions more challenging. 2005-03-29
Coding: Trains A unqiue guide to setting trains so they actually work! 2005-03-29
Coding: Vehicles Every available vehicle and colour scheme, plus the code to manage them. 2005-03-29
Coding: Weapons Every weapon and powerup available in the game...plus some scecret ones. 2005-03-29
Landscape: Lighting Let there be light! Step-by-step guide with screenshots. 2005-01-14
Landscape: Zones Traffic lights, bus stops, respawns and navigation zones. 2005-01-14
Landscape: Optimising Tips on getting the most out of the files which can get VERY large. 2004-12-21
Online: Setup Getting started with GTA2 multiplayer. Links to an advanced connection guide. 2004-12-21
Online: Strategy Sophisticated strategies and a complete list of all powerups with descriptions. 2005-01-04
Setup: Multiple Installs Instructions on how to make additional copies on your PC. 2004-12-21

GTA1, GTA London 1969 & GTA London 1961
Coding: Ambient Events Code samples of side missions I devised before GTA3 did them. 2004-12-21
Coding: Comments How to add comments to code. Commented original missions included. 2004-12-21
Coding: Insane Stunts Guide to creating a stunt on a new map. Includes code and map to work with. 2004-12-21
Coding: Mission Cleanup Explains how best to code your mission endings. 2004-12-21
Coding: PARK Guide to letting the user park cars in garages. 2005-01-14
Coding: Random Pager How the random pager messages work. Includes code sample. 2004-12-21
Coding: Reference Compilation of parameter lists, command techniques and code sample. 2004-12-21
Coding: SENDTO How to set up and use this powerful vehicle AI. 2004-12-21
Coding: Smallest Here is the minimum code you can use for the GTA1 levels. 2004-12-26
Information: Characters List of all the characters who are mentioned. 2004-12-21
Setup: Important Editors The most useful tools and files. 2005-01-06

Feedback
Any errors, ommissions, extensions or any other problems with these texts can be discussed here. Alternative methods, specific issues and so on can be discussed here too. I will take suggestions to write new tutorials about things seriously but I might not have the expertise or time to actually make them.

16 of the "GTA2 Coding" tutorials are derived from Pyro's GTA2 Scripting Guide with his full permission and support.

Kraxxuz
  • Kraxxuz

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:17 AM

thats alot of stuff, good job man!

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:46 AM

Somehow this is glaring.

http://projectcerber...converting.html
In GTA3 the special "1G_BOOST" gives a very, very powerful acceleration boost which makes it easy to spin the wheels of cars and to donuts.

You hate SCM?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:43 PM Edited by Cerbera, 21 January 2005 - 03:45 PM.

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Jan 20 2005, 01:46)
Somehow this is glaring.

http://projectcerber...converting.html
In GTA3 the special "1G_BOOST" gives a very, very powerful acceleration boost which makes it easy to spin the wheels of cars and to donuts.

You hate SCM?
Ah, well spotted SE. Found any other errors? That includes validation errors, broken links, links pointing to the wrong location, incorrect tags and so on.

I do not do any SCM work simply because I have too many other projects on the go! Once things calm down a bit I will probably get into SCM so I can update the Curveshire scripts by myself. GM2k seems to be hibernating.

I have started work on a GTA3 & GTAVC Handling: Traction tutorial. Not sure how long it will take because Curveshire and the Conventional skin for GTAF are my current priority projects.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:36 AM

Excellent work Cerb! This is amazing. Well done. I'm going to pin this.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Gangsta Killa @ Jan 22 2005, 11:36)
Excellent work Cerb! This is amazing. Well done. I'm going to pin this.
Cheers GK...now it doesn't feel like the last six years have been quite so wasted. tounge.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

An update every two months isn't too slow, is it? blush.gif

I have uploaded the GTA2 Scripting Guide originally written by Pyro as a single 165kB HTML file. It's somewhat legendary in the GTA2 modding scene and he recently re-wrote it. After getting permission from him I split it into 16 seperate articles, converted them all to XHTML Strict, added all the navigation, header and footer code for my site, formatted all the examples to use my code boxes, re-built his tables and marked up lists into proper <ul> or <ol> elements.

There have been various updates and additions to the work on there. Just yesterday I redefined the "IS_BIG" flag after discovering that it does not actually enable the reverse beep, it seems to affect the way the AI tries to steer around corners instead. I've also added abbreviations markup so that terms which are shortened to save visual space will display their full version by hovering the mouse over them. The naming convention I am using for these articles seems to be handling the increasing number of tutorials (well over fifty now) just fine, so you can link to these articles without worrying that the links will get broken.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

None of the links actually go to your site, just link to the name of the article. Do you want us to fill in all the rest of the address ourselves?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:53 PM Edited by Cerbera, 03 April 2005 - 04:40 PM.

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Apr 2 2005, 16:31)
None of the links actually go to your site, just link to the name of the article.  Do you want us to fill in all the rest of the address ourselves?
Fixed now. I forgot to add in the absolute URL because this post is pieced together from the XHTML used on my site, where links are relative. Oops.

(EDIT) Re-typed this because it made no sense!

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:47 PM

Something is wrong with the title of many pages.

You used this "em title" on many pages.
<title><em title="Grand Theft Auto Vice City">GTAVC</em> Paths: Definition</title>

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Apr 5 2005, 23:47)
Something is wrong with the title of many pages.

You used this "em title" on many pages.
<title><em title="Grand Theft Auto Vice City">GTAVC</em> Paths: Definition</title>
Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out. It's where I've been adding in the shortened terms so that hovering the mouse over them gives the long terms. The "replace all" can't detect if the shortened term is inside the <title> tag, so it gets that to. I think I managed to fix most of them, but perhaps not all. Some of the meta data keywords got changed to but I think I fixed them now as well. Cheers for the bug hunting!

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:21 PM

?
user posted image

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Apr 10 2005, 15:21)
?
user posted image

Oops, ran through the fixes for GTA3 but not for GTAVC. Cheers for digging through it again.

Tecate
  • Tecate

Long Night Creator

• Members

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:16 AM

One small thing that'll require a quick edit. Your "text index" link currently points to:

http://projectcerber...bera.com/texts/

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Tecate @ Apr 11 2005, 09:16)
One small thing that'll require a quick edit. Your "text index" link currently points to:

http://projectcerber...bera.com/texts/
Oh yeah, thank you. I have fixed that now. Any other errors, please let me know.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

Due to this forum being mostly navigated by those new to the scene, it may be more likely they will actually read the pinned topics if only those that must be pinned actually are. So I'm unpinning this for the time being.

Your contributions are no less appreciated, Cerb.

<3D

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

If that's the case then the never-updated and largely irrelevant topics like the Tutorials Archive, Tools List, Quick Help and Requests wouldn't be there. Those topics are of very little use to anyone because they are so rarely updated or rarely get the questions within them answered. The Tutorial Presentation and Guideance is also out of date as it doesn't include anything about the frequent changes in and exceptions to the naming conventions, which are now totally different to what they are stated in that thread.

My topic was pretty much the only pinned topic which had relevant information getting updated. Incidentally, I've just updated it again.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

The Tutorials Archive has recently been fully updated, if you'd care to look, and has any new tutorials added to its list the moment a tutorial is posted. The Tools List is soon to be edited or removed, as Gareth Croke's full list handles the job nicely. Quick help and requests are posted in whenever a knowledgable member is around to do so, such as yourself. The presentation topic may be currently inaccurate, but this is not an issue requiring urgent attention when there is a led-by on hand to clear up any resulting inconsistencies.

Thankyou for updating your tutorial, though other writers have updated their own also; and such topics requiring a pin as a result doesn't seem to be necessary in their eyes or the staff's.

I appreciate your concern, but the dire state of the Tutorial Forum is still being worked on.

<3D

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:03 PM Edited by Cerbera, 11 June 2005 - 08:12 PM.

QUOTE (Suction Testicle Man @ Jun 1 2005, 00:33)
The Tutorials Archive has recently been fully updated, if you'd care to look, and has any new tutorials added to its list the moment a tutorial is posted. The Tools List is soon to be edited or removed, as Gareth Croke's full list handles the job nicely. Quick help and requests are posted in whenever a knowledgable member is around to do so, such as yourself. The presentation topic may be currently inaccurate, but this is not an issue requiring urgent attention when there is a led-by on hand to clear up any resulting inconsistencies.

Thankyou for updating your tutorial, though other writers have updated their own also; and such topics requiring a pin as a result doesn't seem to be necessary in their eyes or the staff's.

I appreciate your concern, but the dire state of the Tutorial Forum is still being worked on.

<3D
Combining the "Quick Help" with "Requests" would remove the overlap between those two topics. After all, if someone needs a tutorial to help them do something they can't figure out, they could end up posting in either thread. Which is exactly what happens; it's a bit of an "Eeeny meeny miney mo" situation between those atm. A simple merge and changing the topic title to "Help and Requests" would tidy up the pinned topics by there being less pinned topics and the topics being more distinct from each other. smile.gif

I've just updated all my handling definitions so that newcomers to modding can get an easy start. Experieincing how long it takes just to make a couple of silly handling changes might make them realise that creating a TC isn't a particularly realistic idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users