Custom Player Animations

82 replies to this topic
jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

Custom Animations
Using this tutorial you can get any animation you want ingame using 3dsmax3 or above.
Note: Back up your PED.IFP before even starting this tutorial!
Tools used:
3dsmax 7.0 (you can use a different version, even GMAX)
Steve-m's CharAnimViewer
DFF import script (3dsmax, gmax)
IFP importer / exporter (gmax & 3dsmax supported - download script for Max, not GMax)
DFF import / export setup
Open up your 3dsmax folder and go in your SCRIPTS directory.
Create a new folder. Name it GTA_Tools.
Extract all of the contents of the files you downloaded (scripts, etc) into this folder.

1) Load 3dsmax
2) Click the MAXScript menu.
3) Click 'Run script' then load the DFF import script, GTA_IO_23b.ms
4) Once the script is fully loaded, click the Import DFF button and locate your player model.

Note: Get your player models from GTA3.IMG using the IMGTool

5) Import your player DFF. You should now see the player and his dummies on the 3dsmax workspace. Proceed to the next step.
IFP import / export setup
Make sure you have the script extracted to \3dsmax\scripts\GTA_Tools.

1) Load 3dsmax
2) Click the MAXScript menu.
3) Click 'Run script' then load the IFP import script, GTA_IFP_IO.ms
4) Once the script is fully loaded, a box will come up. Click 'Load IFP'.
5) Open \PATH TO GTA FOLDER\anim\ped.ifp. A list of animations will appear. Proceed to step 3.
Modifying an animation
1) Select your player's mesh, right click it, and select 'Hide selection'. We don't need to see this.
2) This will leave you with a bunch of cubes, or dummies. Select all these dummies and click the 'M' button on the IFP script box.
Note: You may now use Steve-m's CharAnimViewer to find the animation you want to modify. This program comes useful in finding the correct animation!
3) Make sure all your dummies (cubes) are selected. Now pick your desired animation from the list and click 'Apply animation'.
4) The dummies should now take position of the currently applied animation. You can play it by clicking PLAY in the bottom right of the timeline.
Be sure to rewind the animation back to the beginning before editing.
The modifying part

1) Select the dummy you wish to modify. Click on 'Set Key', wich is located under the timeline.
2) Click on the 'Key' picture wich is located on the timeline. This adds a new keyframe.
3) Move the timeline slider to your desire. Rotate / move the selected dummy. Click the key picture to write another new keyframe.

If you have little or no experience in keyframe animating, this will not be easy. Basically, your just moving the slider, modifying the dummy to your liking, then adding the keyframe. It really is easy.
View your animation
1) Select everything.
2) Rewind to beginning and click PLAY.

If your happy with your results, proceed to step four.
Exporting your Animation
1) Right click somewhere on your workspace and click 'Unhide All'
2) Select everything.
3) Click the 'replace' button in the IFP script box.
Note: Using 'Save' saves only one animation to ped.ifp, the one you edited. Use this for backing up individual animations. But when you want to compile your entire PED.IFP for use in game, you will use the 'Replace' feature.
4) You are done! Open the IFP in CharAnimViewer and make sure it has all the animations + your modified animation.
Credits
Kam
cmc_jay
cmc_jacob
Rockstar
Discreet
Steve-m

If I forgot you, just tell me tounge.gif

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

This rocks man totaly awesome i finnaly got it to work i was opening the IFP files from the gta3.img but they dont work only the ped.ifp files worked i found out thanx a lot man.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

The CharAnimViewer can't be found at my site, since it's not released yet.

The latest version is always here:
Character Animation Viewer (Beta)

Kam
  • Kam

JINX

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:31 PM Edited by Kam, 15 January 2005 - 05:36 PM.

The 'SAVE' button is for you to save your current(the only 1) animation to a new ifp file. eg: backup animation. And it is 1st designed mainly for GMax! You won't need it unless you are making total new cutscene!

Also you don't really need Steve-m's CharAnimViewer.(I never use it after the import function is completed). You can select any animation 'apply' and 'play' it with (G)Max! They playback in real time.

I forgot to say about the time configuration in the included Readme.txt. Since a good tutorial was here now. I post it here:

GTA animation are in second base. So when you import the animation into (G)MAX. Depend on your FrameRate setting in (G)Max. Keys generated in different frames. eg:LHand had 12 keys and animation finished in 1 second. If you set your system to PAL, last key will be at 30f. At 24f if NTSC and 25 for FILM. So you can import/export real time animation and make your own discreet animation.

LazioFreak
  • LazioFreak

VC Mapper

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, that tutorial helped me a lot. It isn't easy, but for me it was possible to put some animations ingame. smile.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Nice tutorial, least you can say this one is 100% yours this time. Nice work.

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (steve-m)
The CharAnimViewer can't be found at my site, since it's not released yet.

The latest version is always here:
Character Animation Viewer (Beta)

Edited link in post

QUOTE (Kam)
The 'SAVE' button is for you to save your current(the only 1) animation to a new ifp file. eg: backup animation. And it is 1st designed mainly for GMax! You won't need it unless you are making total new cutscene!

Ah, that makes a lot of sense now. Edited post.

QUOTE (LazioFreak)
It isn't easy, but for me it was possible to put some animations ingame.

Anyone with any animation experience in 3dsmax will find this incredibly easy. You'll get used to it..

I've been trying to figure out something for a while now. Kam sort of touched on it but I don't think I fully understand..
How do I change the amount of frames of an animation? I have a 15 frame animation and I want to change it to 50 frames so I can make it longer. I know its possible but don't know how.

And last night, to my suprise, I realized that gravity does not take effect while an animation is playing, since animations force movement.
I can see running up walls and slinging through the city like spiderman real soon. smile.gif

muppetmaster
  • muppetmaster

Complete Disaster™

• Members

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

woah thanks for this jacob, will try this out immediately
keyframe animating, just like flash, woot

Megaerathia
  • Megaerathia

Street Cat

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:33 PM

wow nice tutorial man. but can i also use auto key? i did it and the bones turned out weird in the animation and i saw it in game too. ty -megaerathia

cmc_jay
  • cmc_jay

3D Modeler

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Megaerathia @ Jan 15 2005, 18:33)
wow nice tutorial man. but can i also use auto key? i did it and the bones turned out weird in the animation and i saw it in game too. ty -megaerathia

Yes, you can use auto-key. I use the set-key so I know things are the way I put them in the right amount of time and stuff.

-=[JaY]=-

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:01 AM

/*
I've been trying to figure out something for a while now. Kam sort of touched on it but I don't think I fully understand..
How do I change the amount of frames of an animation? I have a 15 frame animation and I want to change it to 50 frames so I can make it longer. I know its possible but don't know how.

The simplest way i know of is to first set your time to be as long as you want in the Tim Configuration Dialog. You can access this by right clicking above the "Play" button, on the bottom right, in the little vcr-controls area. It should bring this dialog up, then you can set the time lenth to as long as you want. it wont scale your keys, but youlll have more to work with.

At this point i strongly recommend looking at every animation tutorial you can get your hands on, though ill explain this as simply as i can; Open up either the curve editor, or the track view (button on the bottom, far left, jsut to the left of the keyframes), and from there, you can scale the graph, which represents your animation, to be as long or short as you want it. i would be more specific, but its a complex subject. i say again, read every tutorial you can find about animation in 3ds max, they're all invaluable. */

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:05 AM

I know how to change the amount of frames using 3ds, but I thought there was something special I had to do with these IFP's. Modelingman told me it was some DWord value..

thanks

bloodspilla663
  • bloodspilla663

darlredfish

• Members

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:28 PM Edited by bloodspilla663, 10 February 2005 - 07:37 PM.

maybe i missed something but when i imported my dff and hid the model i didnt see any dummies or anything but when i selected that area there were all there. did i do something wrong? is this fixable.?

edit: nvm i figured it out . I had to select all the dummies and click boxes under dummies/bones helper.

Haito_Kanakura
  • Haito_Kanakura

Danger Radiation Damage!!!

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:07 AM

Uh hey i need a lil help finding the dff script for 3dsmax the link aint workin thanks

jan_SI
  • jan_SI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:39 PM

link to that dff import script isnt working-please repair link. thanks

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:06 AM

Kam must have updated files or something. Anyway, link is fixed.

jan_SI
  • jan_SI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:13 AM

i can't import dff files from San Andreas- i get an error in script. is there any possibility to make custom animations for SA?

cmc_jay
  • cmc_jay

3D Modeler

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (jan_SI @ Mar 9 2005, 02:13)
i can't import dff files from San Andreas- i get an error in script. is there any possibility to make custom animations for SA?

No.

-JaY-

grovespaz
  • grovespaz

Group: Morons

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:58 PM Edited by illspirit, 09 April 2005 - 03:08 AM.

I use GMAX, and i've got a strange problem.

When i import the dff(doesn't matter wich dff) from vice city or 3, i only see this:

Link to enormous image

Please help, it sounds so cool.

jan_SI
  • jan_SI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

try to zoom in

grovespaz
  • grovespaz

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

Sorry, im a total newb at gmax, how? dontgetit.gif

jan_SI
  • jan_SI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

you must know gmax well before you try to make some animations. in 3d studio max i use scroll wheel to zoom in/out

by the way: does anybody knows a pair of model and animations that fit togheter (with moving bones is moving a model)?

grovespaz
  • grovespaz

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:40 PM Edited by grovespaz, 08 April 2005 - 06:08 PM.

Thanks for your advice.
Edit: Noticed that besides the scrollwheel, at the botton right, there's a set of tools to adjust your pov.

Edit2: Seems that when i click apply animation, it wont apply the animation.
I only succeeded once, using some motor animation

Kam
  • Kam

JINX

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (grovespaz @ Apr 8 2005, 17:40)
Edit2: Seems that when i click apply animation, it wont apply the animation.
I only succeeded once, using some motor animation

Be sure you had turn on the 'Animate' button before you rotate bones, otherwise, no animated keys will generate!

And make sure you had selected bones before 'Apply Animation'.

Hope these help!

grovespaz
  • grovespaz

• Members

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:05 AM Edited by grovespaz, 09 April 2005 - 09:32 AM.

Yeah, they sure did.
I forgot to select the bones. blush.gif

Thanx, gonna try it right now.

jan_SI
  • jan_SI

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:18 PM

is there any tutorial that is more clearly and gives more information?
i can't undersand some parts :-(

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (jan_SI @ Apr 14 2005, 19:18)
is there any tutorial that is more clearly and gives more information?
i can't undersand some parts :-(

This is as clear as it gets for now. Unfortunately, to completely re-do any animation to your liking will require some firsthand experience in the program you're doing it in, whether that be gmax or 3dsmax. In some cases you can pick up a program and a tutorial and expect satisfying results; this is not the case. Which is why, like, no official animation mods have been released yet.

If someone could configure the bones to somehow accept pre-defined MAX animations downloadable off the net, which there are a lot, there would no doubt be a lot more feedback/mods/releases coming from this animation stuff. Atleast from me anyways.

deltadude
  • deltadude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:53 AM

When you import it back into the game how can you acctualy see it happening in the game? Is it possible to set an animation for the players character and press to key to start the animation?

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:02 AM

Is it possible to set an animation for the players character and press to key to start the animation?

Yeah, theres an SCM opcode that deals with 'wait states'. Just change the animation of one of these wait states, set up a thread that waits for a keypress, then call that wait state in the scm to play the custom animation.

Zom-B
  • Zom-B

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:17 AM

is there a character animation viewer that allows you to view a textured model?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users