[Official] Mission Script Topic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
930 replies to this topic
TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:10 PM

Barton i need a pay-n-spray and bomb shop added to myproperty. i modeled the openings already, i just need the script.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:15 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 23 November 2003 - 06:15 PM.

You should send a PM to ODIE. He's a expert on custom garages. I don't know much about it myself.
He's online right now.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:48 PM

This thread is what you're looking for. I've never known anything about garages, so you can ignore any of my posts in that thread blush.gif Nevertheless, I found it to be quite informative.

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:52 PM

hmm good but my game crashes when finish loading game & I see the hunter & < magic sound > tinck

I replace all in .zip file

then I replace this .scm to backup .scm

& it works fine

whats wrong?

ODIE
  • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:03 PM

i placed some new information in the thread that demarest means.

greetings

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:32 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 24 November 2003 - 12:38 PM.

QUOTE (Snow Racer @ Nov 23 2003, 22:52)
hmm good but my game crashes when finish loading game & I see the hunter & < magic sound > tinck

I replace all in .zip file

then I replace this .scm to backup .scm

& it works fine

whats wrong?

I sure hope you didn't load a saved game after you replaced your scm. But I guess you aren't that ...

edit: POLL: should I remove the savepoints until all the properties are done ?

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 24 November 2003 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Nov 24 2003, 14:32)

I think yes

crash- I dont load save game & I use backup.scm with fisher mission & it's ok
But not this .scm ... It's not ok for me suicidal.gif sad.gif

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 24 November 2003 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Snow Racer @ Nov 24 2003, 14:50)
QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Nov 24 2003, 14:32)

I think yes

crash- I dont load save game & I use backup.scm with fisher mission & it's ok
But not this .scm ... It's not ok for me suicidal.gif sad.gif

uh, ok, I don't know, other people have made it work. I saw a post about a fire in MAP modding. That's in the latest version only. I didn't know where the bunker is, so I just put it in ODIE's place. I'll just leave the savepoints in there in case anybody else get any problems with it. Then I'll just say they loaded a saved game. blush.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2003 - 03:13 PM

Might as well keep the save points for now. Most everybody is aware about the whole new code = new game. Those that aren't can be told. Not to mention the project's main thread has already touched base on the downsides of multiple SCMs floating around. User beware, as with any mod.

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 24 November 2003 - 05:53 PM

Demarest: I think Snow Racer was talking about my mission script for this project, not some other script.

Anyway, I've been doing some crash testing. Like, trying to make the game crash by simply playing it. First, I expected there to be something wrong with my new savepoint code, so I disabled it. Then I just played and played, shut the game down to the desktop and restarted it. I got it to crash several times, but it's like totally random. It never crashed if I stayed away from ODIE's place. It always crashed the first time I got near ODIE's place. If it didn't crash the first time I got near, it didn't crash at all. About 1 in 20 times, it crashed near ODIE's gas station. Once it crashed near the tower. I never got it to crash anywhere else. So, I disabled ODIE's code too. That didn't change anything. It still crashed about once every 20 times. I then enabled my savepoint code and put 210 savepoints in (to test it to the limit). Nothing wrong with my savepoint code (as long as I stayed away from ODIE's).

Has anybody got any crashes with my previous mission script ? I'm fed up with this crap.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:00 PM

yup my game crashes on the smaller of the islands you can walk about 5 secs away from the hunter and it crashes and it isn't random! always happens i have to go around the long way by flying over the island whenever i drive or walk over the game crashes.Also it sometimes crashes near the gas station for no apparent reason..... strange..... the burning fire pisses me off bad now everytime your near that building you can see this stupid fire...... will this be fixed in the next release of you scm?

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (caponester @ Nov 24 2003, 22:00)
yup my game crashes on the smaller of the islands you can walk about 5 secs away from the hunter bla bla bla bla ...

yes yes

this is my problem toooo
but not 5 sec > 3 sec and magic sound

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:42 PM

i wonder why this is? i have added all the dff's i should have,got the up to date main scm and everything but it still crashes..... cryani.gif i can't do the mission....

_punK noodleS_
  • _punK noodleS_

i can think louder than you can talk looser

• Members

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:47 PM Edited by _punK noodleS_, 24 November 2003 - 10:48 PM.

try reinstalling before another mod comes out suicidal.gif ,the only problem ive ever had was never getting solid ground but i fixed that by reinstalling

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Nov 24 2003, 18:53)
Demarest: I think Snow Racer was talking about my mission script for this project, not some other script.

Anyway, I've been doing some crash testing. Like, trying to make the game crash by simply playing it. First, I expected there to be something wrong with my new savepoint code, so I disabled it. Then I just played and played, shut the game down to the desktop and restarted it. I got it to crash several times, but it's like totally random. It never crashed if I stayed away from ODIE's place. It always crashed the first time I got near ODIE's place. If it didn't crash the first time I got near, it didn't crash at all. About 1 in 20 times, it crashed near ODIE's gas station. Once it crashed near the tower. I never got it to crash anywhere else. So, I disabled ODIE's code too. That didn't change anything. It still crashed about once every 20 times. I then enabled my savepoint code and put 210 savepoints in (to test it to the limit). Nothing wrong with my savepoint code (as long as I stayed away from ODIE's).

Has anybody got any crashes with my previous mission script ? I'm fed up with this crap.

Oh goody, it seems even the most recent GTA's have inherited this nuance from the earlier additions then! tounge.gif

I still have access to my old P100 machine so I can write missions in GTA1 format. I made a load of "citizen missions" for the "Uphold the Law" city. Totally unique in that you could steal any car off the street and if it was of a certain model (such as a tanker truck) then it would start a delivery mission. There were a few missions for tankers, a few for ambulances, several for police and special cars like the Monster Bug had kill frenzies.
The best bit was that by using COUNTER objects and DUMMY objects I could detect how many missions they had done, which what models and whether they were sucessful. smile.gif

So I could put together some missions in this style for this Community Map project, they will be largly non-violent and I'll try to put some sort of funny spin on them if possible. Basic functions that I think could be good enough to make missions for:
  • Car Theif - sort of a "Gone in Sixty Seconds" type of deal. If you aren't already on a mission, stealing certain types of car will make a radar icon/blip thing appear on an auto shop thing. The repair shop TRNL said he might make would be the sort of setting to take them, I'd suggest. Interesting spin on the I/E garages.
  • Reckless Driver - have the bloodring bangers driving around. If you steal one you have to hit a car every 15 seconds, with levels and points bonuses like the emegency services missions have.

I've got other ideas, but I don't have time to say. Let me know what you think. smile.gif

Barton Waterduck
    • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:17 AM

Ok, the fire wasn't ment to be. You just can't create a REAL fire like I did in the MAIN part of the code. All it takes for it to disappear is a single fade command. It must be created in some other way. Create_particle or something. And the sounds and damage effect must be scripted I guess. I'll just remove it for now. Nobody needs 210 savepoints scattered all over the place, like in the middle of roads, so they need to be disabled for later use (atleast most of them). I think I'll keep one of the savepoints near ODIE's. Like the one in that backyard. Maby I'll start working on a fireman mission today (if I feel like it). Dunno if it's possible to put out fires on buildings yet. You could put a car inside a building... no, but you could put actors inside buildings and set them on fire instead. And lock them into place (like scared stiff). If it doesn't all crash before I even get started on it.

I like to mess around with ODIE's place, so maby I could add a save garage. I just learned how to code garages myself you see. biggrin.gif (Not bad since I wrote the builder and all). Or maby ODIE wants to do it himself. He asked for his code back, so you'll never know.

ODIE
    • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:15 PM Edited by ODIE, 26 November 2003 - 02:20 PM.

Hmm, thats strange, i cant remeber a crash, if i didnt wrote some sh*t into the main.scm :-)

The Fire apears somtimes near the tower, sometime i see it on other places, also the Sphere for the Towerfall (nice Idea) vanish sometimes, all other things worked fine for me, also the savepoint. But i notice, if i die in my discotheque (Interieur 17) and respwan on the street or exit and start a new game in the disco, the enviroment ist still on the interieur no weahter, no nights... but we can fix this, after the release of the first place with interieur.

I wanted my rewritten code back for better analysing, custom labels and vars ar better for the brain then abstract hexlabels smile.gif

for the garage, i add a new post in this Thread
    how you get the correct coords for PaynSpray and i think its the same for other garages, hope it helps, otherwise feel free to ask me smile.gif

EDIT: I see, you already noticed this tread...

greetings

Barton Waterduck
    • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:01 PM

I think the crashes could be related to those road paths. Lots of weird stuff going on, like cars shooting forward with the speed of light. Cars turning around lots of places. They need some work. And the "Sphere for the Towerfall" jackass stuff needs checking. And updating, like a text telling people that they just did a jackass stunt. And I've been thinking about putting the player on top of an exploding barrel to get him up the tower.

Been working on a fire fighter mission. Putting buildings on fire is really easy. When that is done, I will start working on some police missions. And all those other missions, and ODIE's interiour code and the rest of it.

I had to rewrite my savepoint code to get it faster. I will optimize it further by dividing the island into 3 or 4 saving areas. I used CyQ's advanced array method with variables in jump instructions. That means any future scripts can be decompiled (and I don't feel like explaining why). It also means I need to included the full source to my script. That should be a good thing, because people no longer need to decompile (and they can't anymore). It also means that people need to upgrade to my Vice Mission Builder v1.3, because there's NO WAY you can compile my script without it.

caponester
    • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:00 PM

yes that sounds good maybe do a proper mission involving the helicopter,tower etc like a proper one.Maybe have the mission start outside the hash shop.Heres a little script.
    Go to the hash shop to start the misson then once started you have to go collect a brief case from the top floor of ODIES tower once this is done you have to hold the cops off for about 5 mins or so then once the cops have been held off take the case back to the hash store and mission success $5000 dollars rewarded or something. oh and Barton are you getting crashes on the smaller island?I know snowracer is and so am i meaning no fisherman mission for me cryani.gif

Barton Waterduck
    • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:43 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 26 November 2003 - 07:45 PM.

QUOTE (caponester @ Nov 26 2003, 19:00)
    yes that sounds good maybe do a proper mission involving the helicopter,tower etc like a proper one.Maybe have the mission start outside the hash shop.Heres a little script.
    Go to the hash shop to start the misson then once started you have to go collect a brief case from the top floor of ODIES tower once this is done you have to hold the cops off for about 5 mins or so then once the cops have been held off take the case back to the hash store and mission success $5000 dollars rewarded or something. oh and Barton are you getting crashes on the smaller island?I know snowracer is and so am i meaning no fisherman mission for me cryani.gif

You can't go into the hash shop (I think). Dunno what happend to that "druggy" basement. Maby later. My game never crashed on the smaller island. Maby you need to reinstall.

ODIE
    • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:40 PM

Barton, please make a drunken-Driver funktion, so that we can take a drink or more at the Disco or further bars and slide through the city smile.gif

You mean we cant decompile code now, no kind of main.scm ?? Bad thing, how to analyze scripts for learning ??

There is no interieur build for the Headshop (hashshop..) so you cant go in, but i hope you like the 3D showwindow smile.gif

greetings

ODIE

caponester
    • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:12 PM

i don't mean go inside the hash store just have a pink marker ouside the door.i will have to reinstall 0.4 totaly messed my game up bad now ODIES and snowracers lots don't show plus it crashes all the time now sad.gif

Snow Racer
    • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
    • Norway

Posted 27 November 2003 - 06:46 AM Edited by Snow Racer, 27 November 2003 - 06:47 AM.

QUOTE (caponester @ Nov 27 2003, 00:12)
    I will have to reinstall 0.4 totaly messed my game up bad now ODIES and snowracers lots don't show plus it crashes all the time now sad.gif

delete > gtavc.dat all illcom files in gta3.img & replace 2 new dff's txd > delete illcom folder in data/maps/ & replace new folders

Now you have game without Odie's & my lot...

& add me to Msn or icq if you have

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
    • None

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:52 AM

I've been writing and testing how much fun non-violent missions are in GTA1. It actually is quite promising but the I can't post the GTA1 code because I put it on diskette and the library terminals don't allow diskettes to be used. blink.gif

Here are the titles of the missions I've been roughing out:
  • Paperboy - use the pizzaboy scooter but re-model it so that the rear has a basket instead of a box and replace the pizza models with newspapers. Could just use the leaflet model for beta.

• Car Booster - I gave this some more thought and figured out a killer way of making it seem truely ambient. In GTA1 you'd get "random" pager messages which were actually set off when you drove across one of a network of invisible triggers which each had a large radious. These then made the pager after a wait of half a minute, so you wouldn't realise the message was triggered simply because you went to a certain location. smile.gif
    Now, car boosting is best done at night and I expect there is a proper random number generator in the 3rd generation GTA script. So, at 10pm each night I reckon you should receive a pager message telling you which models they want that evening. The mission ends at 05:00 or when you deliver 3 of those vehicles to whichever lot we'd have as the auto shop.
    Using the random feature (which I hope exists) you could randomly choose which car the auto shop asks for each night and set a boolean variable to indicate that you've completed that order. After you complete all the orders you could have that auto yard as a completed asset with save point and all the models you boosted parked in it.

Increasing your wanted level during this mission would make it more fun, so it's not just steal car, park car all night. smile.gif

• Reckless Driver - this would be better if it used a format with time bonus, like the Patriot checkpoint missions in GTA3. You would start with 15 seconds and would get a 5 second bonus every time you collided with another vehicle. This would enable you to gain enough time to get your car resprayed before it blew up.
    Adding the damage meter would make this more intuitive, although being able to judge your car damage when doing vigilante missions in GTA3 with the FBI car was quite rewarding, so it's up to the disgression of the coder really.

• Helicopter Tourism - this would require a C.M.P Tourism building with a helipad at ground level and advertising signs. An option to this is that you could have the helicopter on the roof and is accessed using the teleporter or lift systems that a couple of places in Downtown (Vice) use for roof access. It would work like the helicopter checkpoint missions but with the added twist that you have to complete it under a certain (fairly easy) time or the mission would be failed and the screen would fade out, then you'd appear again outside the tourism building.
    There are other formats you could use for this mission - you could set it in the precise same format as the GTA3 Patriot missions in that ALL the checkpoints are available at the start and you get a time bonus for each. The time should be fairly relaxed as many people have real difficulty controling helicopters using the keyboard.
    Another possible format would be like the taxi missions but you would pick passengers up from rooftop helipads or open fields and ferry them around, sort of an airborne taxi service.

I'm sure I had other ideas, I can't remember what they were though. Any chance my suggestions won't be ignored this time? At least tell me why they aren't worth considering if that's what you think. turn.gif

Barton Waterduck
    • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:19 PM

Cerbera: I guess you'll be coding all that yourself then, how, I have no Idea.

ODIE: About my script: The full source code in txt format will be included in future releases. Beware of codes marked with stuff like "EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CODE AHEAD!!!". Don't modify it and don't put code anywhere near it (unless you know what you're doing ofcourse), and whatever you do, don't decompile it.

Drunken stuff, on foot and inside vehicles should be easy to code (never tried it myself yet).

Do you have any plans for a gay pub or maby gay night at your disco ? I came up with this name / title that can be used with the name of a gay bar or gay dancing group, horror movie or whatever, like "The Mother Of Anal Expressions" or if its a group "The Mothers Of Anal Expressions". What do you think ?

Also, is your "Odie's GTA Berlin Demo" compatible with the v0.4 island ? I don't feel like upgrading until I know for sure. Is the disco in it ?

ODIE
    • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:57 PM

Puh, i thought, we are no longer able to decompile any Main.scm with the MB 1.3, but this sounds good...

I have to download R 0.4 and see if my Prop ist compatible, if not, i update it as soon as possible.

The Disco will be placed on my second property on the highest Buildung in 290 Meters high and should be called Party Dome, cause its build like a big dome. Untill now, i coded some dancers and a lonely chick beside the dancefloor, if you go to this chick, Tommy and her went to to dancefloor, and the camera goes aorund them while they dance. Useless but funny :-) For the fist Time you have to find the way to the Disko for through some floors, stairs and elevators. If you reach the club firsttime, the direct elevator becomes available. After this we can place a Sphere for your mission Idea, i can build some Sings for "Party Dome - tonight: Gay Night" that can be placed after starting the mission. Then we have to deactivate the dancersthread and start the missioncode for the gaynight.

I really like the Idea, cause it was many work to build the disco and it will be very sad, if the players takes only a look into it and never come back...

I try to send you a first Beta-Version of the second Property, so you can start writing the Missioncode, maybe not all floors are ready then, but it should work and no coords have to be moved.

@Cerbera: Nice Ideas, hope you can realize all of them. Only ont (not very originel) Idea, some Streetraces are always funny...

greetings

ODIE

BenMillard
    • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
    • None

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Barton Waterduck @ Nov 27 2003, 13:19)
    Cerbera: I guess you'll be coding all that yourself then, how, I have no Idea.

Havn't you read my signature? I'm having to use the library computers and so can't try and code it myself. sad.gif

I devised those mission ideas so that they really aren't very faw removed from existing missions mechanically, it's just the context which makes them different for the most part.

One thing which seems to have been overlooked - hidden packages. Having them give special features like they did in Vice would be welcome (such as increasing maximum health, armour, vehicle strength) but more imaginative bonuses would be welcome. Of course, some poor sucker has to actually work out the code to do it and I know how irritating that can be. smile.gif

I've been coding GTA1 versions of the missions ideas I've proposed but the engine has servere limits. The "car thief" mission is highly effective (I was using dockland cranes using the GTA_DEMAND object) and more enjoyable than I expected.

I've got lots more ideas and I'm developing them all the time but alas, the library is closing and the terminal is about to shut down! dontgetit.gif

Barton Waterduck
    • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:51 PM Edited by Barton Waterduck, 28 November 2003 - 04:55 PM.

ODIE, since I'm a perfectionist (maby not when it comes to english), I had to change your code again. Those actors you put into those shops, they use the same handle. If you use the destroy actor command with the handle, only the last actor created is destroyed. The other actor is "lost in space", meaning, its handle is lost. Without that handle, every time the create_actor command is used with that same handle, a new actor handle is lost, not only because two actor are created with the same handle, but when you create an actor with an actor handle already used, you always get a new actor. The old actor stays forever in there. If you let the game run long enough, what you get is no more pedestrians, because the game thinks you created 100 mission scripted actors when you just created two shop keepers. A good rule when coding in MAIN (and this goes for MAIN only) is to use the destroy actor command just before you create an actor. Like, if there is no actor with the handle $myactor, you can destroy it anyway, like this:
    CODE
    009B: destroy_actor_instantly $myactor
    009A: $myactor = create_actor <whatever>

I hope the rest of your codes (like the interiour) is more like R* 's code. No offence, you're just giving me lots of extra work and I have less spare time on my hands at the moment. I'm posting this here for everybody to see, because it concerns all coder. When you code in MAIN, it is very important that you remove stuff that aren't needed when you leave the area the code is used in. Like, if you create a shopkeeper, your code need to remove that shopkeeper when the player leave the shop. To do that, you can use a command that checks if the player is near a point in space (and the point space is where your shop is), if the player isn't near your shop, use one of the destroy_actor commands to remove the shopkeeper from the game. This is VERY important. Also, whenever to request something, you MUST release it. Use the release_model command with the request_model command, use the unload_special_actor command with the load_special_command. AND, since you code in MAIN (mostly anyway), you need to release everything you request immediately after you create what you need to create. NEVER release stuff at a later time when coding in MAIN. Several smart-ass coders here may say that is not an issue. If you want me to use your code, it IS an issue. I know from experience coding in GTA 3 that if you fail to release stuff you requested in MAIN, because it's a multi-task environment with several thread requesting different stuff at the same time, there are gonna be too much stuff requested at a time for the game to keep up with it all and the result will be low detail texture effects, missing textures and the likes simply because the game engine can't cope with it all.

Thanks for helping me fix your future codes everybody.

Later, when I figure out what all those unknown opcodes ODIE used in his code do, I will complete my fire fighter mission and release a new scm.

And reading all these posts takes hours.

Cerbera: I have made a note of your "requests".

ODIE
    • ODIE

BERLIN-MOD AKTIVIST

• Members

Posted 28 November 2003 - 07:33 PM

Thanx for these rules, i will try to make my new code more perfect and compatible to your code.

The Actors has the same handles, like in original R* Code (that can be used to rob more shops) the problem might also be, that the shops are very close and the possibility to create two actors at the same time is very high.

Here some of the unknown stuff

CODE
    0494: unknown  0 $ODIEvar1 $ODIEvar2 $ODIEvar3 $ODIEvar4
    00D6: if  21
    00E1:   key_pressed  0  10
    001A:   -100 > $ODIEvar1;; integer values
    004D: jump_if_false ££ODIE_Autokauf_loop_2

Checks the movement of the Gamepads left stick, analoge to the key for moving.

CODE
    00D6: if  0
    0457:   unknown_player $PLAYER_CHAR unknown_actor $ODIE_rob_actor
    004D: jump_if_false ££ODIE_robber_18

remains true if the player targeted an actor with a gun

sorry, cant explain more unknowns...

greetings

illspirit
    • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:49 AM

Would it be possible at all to create a dead actor, laying down, which won't fade away? I know actors will stick around after they've been killed unless you manually eject them from the script, but can a body be laid out in a specific place facing a specific direction? I'm modelling a bit of an interior for the hospital, and if the body thing will work, I was thinking of making a mourge. devil.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users