» «
Photo

GTA for PSP confirmed.

26 replies to this topic
Goldrusher_XT
  • Goldrusher_XT

@ Bruges

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:18 PM Edited by Goldrusher_XT, 10 January 2005 - 04:21 PM.

New York, NY - January 10, 2005 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition and a brand new iteration of Grand Theft Auto for the highly anticipated PSP™ handheld system. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition and the new Grand Theft Auto title, which will be set in Liberty City, are being developed by Rockstar Leeds in conjunction with Rockstar San Diego and Rockstar North, respectively. Both titles are expected to be available near the launch of the PSP handheld system in North America and Europe.

"We are working very closely with Rockstar North and Rockstar San Diego to ensure that both Grand Theft Auto and Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition remain faithful to the initial vision of these respective franchises," said Gordon Hall, President of Rockstar Leeds. "We understand that gamers' expectations will be very high for new PSP handheld system titles and we are confident that we can deliver exhilarating experiences that will set the standard for what a PSP game can be with Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition and our new Grand Theft Auto title."
- Sam House, President of Rockstar Games

Take 2 Interactive

Yay smile.gif
Another GTA. rahkstar2.gif

ChrisKirby
  • ChrisKirby

Essex boy

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

ah crap, you beat me to it. I just saw this story on BBC news website (UK) Sounds exciting though doesnt it? Can't wait. I wonder how much the PSP and its games will retail at? I'm looking forward to the first pictures! Good find! sigh.gif

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:33 PM

Bah, who uses Handheld playstations anyway?

agent_1138
  • agent_1138

Hawg

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ Jan 10 2005, 16:33)
Bah, who uses Handheld playstations anyway?

Now that there's a new GTA I guess I do wink.gif

rahkstar2.gif

Goldrusher_XT
  • Goldrusher_XT

@ Bruges

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

You can import a PSP for 379 dollar / 290 euro through Lik-Sang.

In Japan, ie in normal shops, the thing is sold out for at least another 2 weeks. The "street price" is about 180 dollar / 140 euro.
The price in Europe will be about 300 dollar / 250 euro though, because of shipment to Europe, EU taxes and local taxes/VAT.

US price probably 250 dollar.

agent_1138
  • agent_1138

Hawg

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

^^

US price probably 250 dollar.

Word around the campfire is that you'll be seeing a $199.99 US price tag in order to compete with the Nintendo DS. If Sony does release it for that price, in conjunction with the release of a new GTA game, it may well be the death knell for the relatively underpowered Nintendo DS.

LP_Reanimator
  • LP_Reanimator

Bladerife Alchemist

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:00 PM

I might get a PSP for the singular purpose of playing GTA on it. But I don't know yet. confused.gif rahkstar2.gif

powerchord
  • powerchord

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:02 PM

If its just a re-hash of GTA III then I'm not interested.

agent_1138
  • agent_1138

Hawg

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:16 PM Edited by agent_1138, 10 January 2005 - 09:18 PM.

QUOTE (powerchord @ Jan 10 2005, 21:02)
If its just a re-hash of GTA III then I'm not interested.

I'm guessing it will be the same map that we all know and love from GTA 3, but with new characters, storyline and missions.

I'd also speculate that it will be set in a different time period than GTA 3. Also, I think we'll see features in it that we expect from GTA now, like motorcycles and aircraft (which were absent from the original GTA 3).

Almost like a GTA 3 mission pack.

Kenta
  • Kenta

b0xy br0wn wi11 pwn j00 411

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

If it is a remake of GTAIII then I'd get it because I'm almost the only person in the world who never play that game.

agent_1138
  • agent_1138

Hawg

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:42 PM

From the news:

One aspect of the Grand Theft Auto title for the PSP which will be watched carefully by other developers is how the game will handle the streaming of content from disc - something which the GTA titles on PS2 have relied heavily upon to create their seamless environments, but which runs the risk of crippling the battery life of a handheld device.

Any thoughts or opinions on this issue?

The whole battery life of the PSP has been a big issue since news of it first broke. From what I hear, Ridge Racers eats the battery in about 3 hours. The difference between RR and GTA is huge though... RR loads up one race at a time whereas GTA has a huge city to contantly stream. This will make the UMD disk really do the spiny spiny, thus eat the battery alive. Also, the CPU has alot to think about, in terms of the map, the peds, and what yr character is doing at any given moment. This seems like an even bigger battery drain than the spinning disk.

Any technomological folks out there with an informed opinion on these matters?

Joey.Leone
  • Joey.Leone

COYS!

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (agent_1138 @ Jan 10 2005, 22:42)
From the news:

One aspect of the Grand Theft Auto title for the PSP which will be watched carefully by other developers is how the game will handle the streaming of content from disc - something which the GTA titles on PS2 have relied heavily upon to create their seamless environments, but which runs the risk of crippling the battery life of a handheld device.

I say they release it on the PS2 instead if its gone be an issue which will affect the gameplay will all love.

I know some people will say, 'just play GTA3' but to have all the new features (which is likely imo) then it would be great on the PS2.

Really, i just want to be able to go round Liberty's streets with bikes, new weapons etc, without having to get a good computer to download GTA: Liberty City.

I know Rockstar wont do that because they are apparantly looking at other projects on PS2 after all the work SA took, but still, it would be nice..

Goldrusher_XT
  • Goldrusher_XT

@ Bruges

• Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:57 PM

Play-Asia confirmed a price drop within the next few days, of an imported PSP.

I'm waiting. cool.gif

agent_1138
  • agent_1138

Hawg

• Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Goldrusher_XT @ Jan 11 2005, 18:57)
Play-Asia confirmed a price drop within the next few days, of an imported PSP.

I'm waiting. cool.gif

I recommend against it. Unless you really really really want to play Ridge Racers, I'd wait until the North American release. Plus GTA wont be available until the North American launch so why blow a bunch of cash when you'll still have to wait for "the good game."

kankle
  • kankle

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:54 PM

So when is the expected release date

I dont think this will go very well rockstar leeds didnt make a very good job of gtaadvance they just dont seem to have the same sense of humour that rockstar north do rahkstar2.gif

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (agent_1138 @ Jan 10 2005, 21:42)
From the news:

Yes, since PSP again will have only 32MB of RAM, it will relly on streaming, however, take a look:
http://psp.ign.com/a...4/574557p1.html

Take a note of the Test1 and Test5. Test 5 demonstrates that UMD drive does not draw too much power even at constant use. Through some simple calculations it can be shown that with full brightness, full volume, heavy CPU and GPU use, and constant UMD use, which is consistent with what we should expect of PSP GTA, the battery should last at least 2 hours 30 minutes. I agree, that isn't a whole lot, but that is why they made them rechargable, and if I understand it correctly, it shouldn't be too hard to bring an extra battery pack or two with you if you are planning to have no access to a power outlet for a while.

Dome Piece
  • Dome Piece

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:48 PM

Just thought i would point out there was already a topic Here in gaming chat. - Dome Piece

Snoopy123
  • Snoopy123

Smeg Head

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

Yeah i heard this too, i am glad LC is makin a come back as it is one the best GTA city.

I suppose if it is set in a different time to GTA3 then maybe u will get to play as cj again. He was in LC before he went back to Los Santos, also CJ tells Salvatore in SA that he did work for Joey. It would be quite cool to run around liberty city as cj in a whole nu storyline. tounge.gif

CJ San Andreas
  • CJ San Andreas

Certified Felon™

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

Cool, one more reason why I should buy a PSP when it first comes out. biggrin.gif

Werleman1
  • Werleman1

Werle

• Members

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:28 AM

thank god there makin a handheld ,now i can play when i go 2 school

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (werleman1 @ Jan 16 2005, 04:28)
thank god there makin a handheld ,now i can play when i go 2 school

Just another reason why this generation will have no Einsteins. Not that I'm saying I'm any better. I should be reading up on general relativity instead of spending time on games.

Luke15
  • Luke15

España - Gone?

• Members

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:59 PM

Well i usually put study before games, except when th enew ones come out.

i just have to play them.

dex
  • dex

Joint Post War Crew

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:14 AM

Since we're talking about specifications...

Taken from Gamespot.com.

PSP Specifications:

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache

smile.gif

Luke15
  • Luke15

España - Gone?

• Members

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

Thats nearly as good a me old Celeron Laptop.

Im hoping that the graphics will be excellent, and i wish the gameplay will also be excellent. Im buying a psp for the game.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:29 AM

That is odd. Untill now every place I saw PSP specs said 32MB of RAM, now it is 8MB of eDRAM. Why in the world would Sony only put 8MB of RAM into it? I understand if it was SDRAM, because it would draw extra power, but dynamic RAM only uses power for read/write operations, and it is cheaper than SDRAM too, you can put at least a couple of MB for 1 USD. 8MB of RAM is laughable. Even 32MB is very little by today's standarts. What's the point of having 1.8GB disks, if you can barelly load any of that data into RAM?

emperorm
  • emperorm

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

I imported a PSP as well as a few games and this thing will kill nintendo hands down. seeing it in pictures doesnt nearly do the unit justice, and the screen is awesome. I've played ridge racers for 3+ hours straight, shut the unit off for a day and went back to it and still got another 30 min of playtime before the battery died and needed a charge. I only hope Rockstar decides to make some use of the 802.11b wireless play, because wireless multiplayer is gonna be where the psp shines.

Luke15
  • Luke15

España - Gone?

• Members

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:42 PM

The data mabey be loaded gradually onto the ram, not all in one go.

I think sony, and rockstar have alot of experience in the portable market wink.gif .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users