» «
Photo

San Andreas Vehicle Tech Doc (PC only!)

67 replies to this topic
DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:09 AM Edited by DexX, 30 March 2009 - 05:39 PM.

This is NOT a question/answer topic!! Unless your question/comment relates to the topic at hand it WILL be DELETED!!

Car models cannot be edited, or created for GTA:SA 2.00 (Second Edition)

Ok, now they can.

San Andreas Vehicle Tech Doc
Model and Texture/Material Layout

San Andreas vehicle technical documentation. This Document contains:
-Model Struture overview, including revised hierarchy layout, object names and descriptions, and class-specific objects (low rider parts for example).
-Textures and Material Guides and settings, including texture sizes, directories and material types.
-Basic Instructions for simple editing, like wheel sizes

There are significant changes between the GTA3 / Vice vehicle layout, and the methodologies implemented in San Andreas, so be sure to read all the way through. This guide will be updated over time as new discoveries are made.

Model Changes - Object Naming Conventions, New objects, and Hierarchies:

Name Changes
The first changes that are noticeable, and very imporant, are the object names. Gone is the "hi" section of all object names.
Example:"door_rf_hi_ok" is now "door_rf_ok". repeat for every part witn "_hi_" in the name.

New Objects
There are many new possible parts, depending on what vehicle class your your vehicle is. Cars are now upgradeable via the following parts:

Hood upgrades (parent=bonnet_dummy)
ug_bonnet
ug_bonnet_left
ug_bonnet_left_dam
ug_bonnet_right
ug_bonnet_right_dam

Trunk/Boot (parent=boot_dummy)
ug_spoiler
ug_spoiler_dam (ty.augh)

Front Bumper (parent=bump_front_dummy)
ug_lights (cosmetic only, will not cast or display actual lights)
ug_lights_dam

Chassis Object/Main Body (parent=chassis)
ug_roof
ug_nitro (the actual nos-kit model when you buy it)
ug_wing_left
ug_wing_right

Exhaust/Tailpipe (parent=chassis_dummy)
exhaust_ok (tailpipe upgrade)

Additional handling flags set to be set in the handling.cfg forlowriders to correctly use the lowrider pieces.

Those are parts that are upgradeable, but not necessary, to the functioning of the vehicle. The following parts, while new, are much more important, and "useful" for standard cars. Parent objects are listed after the object name

Obj - Parent - Description

Wheel - wheel_rf_dummy: probably the single biggest change, is the elimination of the "wheels.dff", that was formerly in the generic folder. Each car/truck now has its own individual wheel model, stored inside of the car model itself, under the parent object "wheel_rf_dummy". Also important to note that the "vehicles.ide", also has 2 wheel scale values, the first is for the front wheels, and the second is for the rear wheels. the "wheel" on Sa cars (only one per model!) is scaled to be the correct size on the model, as it would be in real life. you'll need to manually change the scale in the vehicles.ide to match the wheel model size.
PC update: the wheels.dff is there, but it still remains unused. dont ask me, but R* threw it there for some reason(or simply forgot to remove it). But the above information still applies!

Wheel Sizes:
QUOTE (Brief Wheel instructions)

1. To change wheel sizes, open the vehicles.ide, and find the vehicle you will be replacing. That data will look like this:

400, landstal,  landstal,  car,   LANDSTAL,  LANDSTK,  null, normal,  10, 0, 0,  -1 , 1.0, 1.0 ,  -1

2. If your using a custom car that was converted from vice, or the wheels look drastically too big in general, change the number in red, from -1, to 0. when this value is set to 0, it tells the game to scale the wheel model, with the next set of values. when this value is -1, it derives the size of the wheel model, directly from the mesh, and the wheel scale values will only affect the wheel collision.

3. the blue values control the actual size of the wheels, front and rear, adjust them as necessary to get the desired size ingame.

thanks to offroader23 for helping with this info.

Cerbera has put together a useful guide for SA handling differences, you can check that out here:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=153355

where <carname/root obj> is, is the name of the vehicle your looking at.

Engine - <carname/root obj>: where the engine smoke comes from.

Petrolcap - <carname/root obj>: shoot it and the car explodes. 'nuff said.

Ped_arm - <carname/root obj>: actually I've seen this object in other places in the hierarchy, so this (hierarchy position) may not be applicable to ALL vehicles. or it may not matter at all. Peds now seem to rest their arms on the sides of the car sometimes, I would assume this is where. during driveby's, they also sometimes sit, and lean over the roof of the car to shoot, and it also appears to be where this dummy object is.

Headlights2 - <carname/root obj>: another headlight object. used in conjuntion with the standard headlights object. Yes, you can now have 2 working headlights, same for tails below. This version however, doesnt not give the "cone" effect, that the first headlights object does.

Tailllights2 - <carname/root obj>: another taillight object. used in conjunction with the standard taillights object.

exhaust_ok - chassis: where the tailpipe upgrade piece goes?

plate_front_ok - bump_front_ok: front license plate, undamaged. Its important to have separate objects for the license plates now, as the game will actually generate, and use, text and colors from another file, to produce authentic license plates. Neat!

plate_front_dam - bump_front_dam: same as above, except damaged.

plate_rear_ok - bump_rear_ok: same as above, except for the back.

plate_rear_dam - bump_rear_dam: same as above, except damaged.

See the end of the texturing section (below) section for info on how to make "working" license plates.

Collision Methods
Collision files are stored in the same DFF as the vehicle. The collision file not only stores collision data for the model this time, but also a shadow mesh, from where a shadow for the vehicle is generated. Although the .col format is pretty much the same, with the addition of the shadow mesh, the "vehicles.col" is no longer used.

Texturing and Material Methods
Signicant changes From GTA3/Vice to SA

-Local TXD's (<carname.txd>) are still used, But the majority of textures that are repetitive, like damage, headlights and tails, reflections, are stored in a global TXD, "vehicles.txd", that is used by virtually every car in the game. Local txd's are used only for vehicle specific textures.

-Vehicles use Mutilple UV channels. However, the 2nd uv channel is only for reflections. you cannot add a 2nd diffuse map on a different uv channel, and expect it to work. it wont. If a paint job is applied to a car, the diffuse map for the main body material is swapped out, but uses the same UV coordinates.
i did write a Brief Tutorial on how to add paintjobs.

-To compliment the new Wheels system used for the cars, even the wheels themselves are UV mapped differently. While they still use 64x64 textures, they are mapped in such a way, that the mapped image on the object is only 1/4 of the total image (model 1/4 of the wheel, then duplicate/rotate 3 more times), and the end result on the wheel, is equivalent to 128x128 texturing. Being that they are part of the car mesh itself this time around, the wheels also are capable of (some do) using the reflection maps the car uses, depending on the material. This makes it possible to produce more "chrome" effects. The wheels.dff of gta3 and vice did not allow refletion maps on the rims for some reason.
Interestingly, all the tire tread i've come across so far, is in the vehicles.txd, wheras the rimface of the wheel itself, is stored in the local txd's of the vehicles. clever bastards they are.

-There's an additional section to some materials to accomodate the extra reflection map. The 2nd reflection section, vehiclespecdot, tells the game to perform per-vertex specular lighting on the model, similar to that which is done from the xbox mod for the pc vers of VC.

-The "body" texture that is used for 99% of the cars in the vehicle.txd, is more like a "dirt" texture (vehiclegrunge256) that is animated over time. The TV Van in the following screenshot is shown while dirty, and after cleaned (they can only be cleaned at transfender, upgrade shops, and Pay N Spray, Actual car washes do NOT work!!):
http://gregval.phpwe.../savan_dirt.jpg
PC Update: the cars dont appear to get "dirty" anymore, the 1.01 patch fixes this.

Using Carcol materials on your model
Set the diffuse color of your material to one of the following colors, to have its color ingame, controlled by the carcols.dat file.

RGB colors for each carcol color:
Primary - 60, 255, 0 - This color
Secondary- 255, 0, 175 - This color
Third - 0 255, 255 - This color
Fourth - 255, 0, 255 - This color

To use the third and 4th colors, you need to put your vehicle in the "car4" section, at the end of your carcols.dat file.

-License Plates
In order to get "working" license plates (where the text changes, and the plateback, changes per city) you need to texture the license plate objects a certain way:
the "back" of the license plate, the larger section that IS the plate, needs to be textured using the image "carpback" in your vehicle.txd. the white texture is a placeholder for the images that are used ingame, and they get swapped around from city to city.

The plate "text" needs to be textured using the "carplate" image in your vehicle.txd. The game will render text to that texture, per car, and apply it automatically. the image in the txd is just a placeholder.

Headlight and taillight texturing in San Andreas
-Headlights and taillights. These use one of the global textures from the vehicles.txd (vehiclelights128 and vehiclelightson128). During the game, your car will normally use the first texture, and at night, the game will swap it for the 2nd image, which has pre-illuminated textures. It works well in conjuntion with their improved lighting system overall.
Vehicle-specific headlight and taillight textures are NOT possible (if you still want them to "work" that is). you have to use the images in the vehicle.txd to get fully-functional lights for your car. See below.

This section quoted from Majestic, and slightly edited by me tounge.gif
QUOTE (Majestic)
the lights now act sort of as [prim] and [sec]. in order to have the lights working you need:
-assign one of the 4 colors (one for each light)
-assign texture 'vehiclelights128'
This would be done in the material editor of the application your using to export models. The "diffuse color" would be set to one of the options below, which will make alteast 4 distinct materials necessary, one for each light type. -' dexx

this is what happens in game:
-during day, the 'vehiclelights128' texture is used, and color is something like 50% gray.
-during night, the 'vehiclelightson128' texture is used instead, and color becomes 100% diffuse and 100% ambient (or something like that?)

RGB colors for each light:
Left Headlight - 255, 175, 0 - This color
Right Headlight - 0, 255, 200 - This color
Left Taillight - 185, 255, 0 - This color
Right Taillight - 255, 60, 0 - This color

update 1 - first posting, 11-9-04
more to follow. The texturing method has changed, and ill post that next chance i get.

update 2 - Texturing and Materials, 2-14-05
Added info on the texturing and material systems used by the game.

update 3 - Collision methods, 6-10-05
updated existing content for pc version, quick collision mention.

update 4 - Headlight and Tailight sorting, 6-23-05
Sorted instructions on how to properly set up materials, to have illuminated headlight and taillight textures ingame.

update 5 - , 12-29-05, 8-7-06
general overhaul, some corrections, and a little snippet about how to properly do license plates.

Leave any comments you may have.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Augh @ Nov 10 2004, 04:36)
Sorry if I just missed it in there somewhere, we got any idea how these independant drivetrains are being handled? (Lowriders, monster trucks and so forth, unsure what else makes use of them...) notify.gif

If you mean the suspension pieces, i checked out the Tahoma and Blade models, and the only pieces they had that would make sense, are "misc_a", and "misc_b", which i beleive to be some sort of all-purpose generic parts, that have a specific use depending on the car type, or some handling flags. These are linked to the chassis_dummy.

Blade also has a "misc_c", its purpose i do not yet know.

The Monster truck has 2 extra pieces, called "transmission_f, and "transmission_r", which are again, linked to the chassis_dummy.

The towtruck *also* has misc_a, and misc_b, but here, misc_b is a child of misc_a, and misc_a, is a child of the chassis object. Except in this instance, i beleive these parts to be the "hook" that grabs other cars when you tow them away, misc_a being the bar that swings, and misc_b, being the hook itself.

the "dozer" has "misc_a" under the chassis_dummy. i havent driven the dozer, so i dont know what this does.

Rhino *also* has misc_a, and misc_b and a misc_c, again here, miscb is a child of misc_a, and misc_a, is a child of the chassis object., and misc_c is a child of misc_b.
Buuut! But! The rhino only has one door! Door_lf_dummy. And although the rhino model only lists 6 wheels in the mesh (total), ingame i counted 6 wheels, on EACH SIDE of the vehicle! Clearly some sort of crazy-ass mirroring is being done tounge2.gif

I know some people will want to replace the quad (i damn sure do!), so here's the extra parts for that. It uses a standard car setup, then these..
-rear_axle
-handlebars
-suspension_lf
-suspension_rf
these all are linked to the root object, "quad"

Ack, anyway, the point being that objects with the names "misc_<whatever>" seems to have multiple purposes, depending on the vehicle they are assigned to. i Dont know if these special attributes are a combination of handling flags, or hardcoded (please god, no) but i really hope its some of the new flags..
hmm.....scripted maybe, in the main.scm? i could deal with that..

hardcoded = we're f*cked.

@GTAguy, they may have gotten the initial idea from him, we'll never know. im glad they went further though, and only required one instance of the wheel, instead of manually placing all of them.

Augh
  • Augh

Unspoiled by progress

• Members

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:47 PM

Ah hah, thanks biggrin.gif

Hrm, ruminating... Is it possible that a basic flag handling/parsing system or "sort code" within the lib (possibly the wrong term, I don't know) might be in operation to dictate that where certain objects are present, flags will automagically apply themselves there, as in know that object is the one they're applied to? (Axles, basically is what I'm considering) I'm thinking that actually I'm just flailing around helplessly trying to avoid the "hardcoded" possibility. It would certainly seem to work on paper that the monster truck, working from a chassis, transmission_f and transmission_r basis, where those trans objects know to be handled by the mcpherson flags, would then correctly trundle over stuff, articulating correctly, as it certainly appears to. Just occurs to me if axle movement is already a given, and the mcpherson flag already "knows" it refers to axles, that might tidily sort the whole mess out.

Sorry, this may be counterproductive, I'm really just brainstorming.

Give the word and I relent biggrin.gif

rampage_ani.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:11 PM Edited by Cerbera, 16 February 2005 - 03:29 PM.

Outstanding work, Ash. smile.gif

Very interesting about the wheels. It is becoming more and more clear that R* really have payed a great deal of attention to the modifications community. Have they made any press statements regarding their (apparently very good) attitude towards us modifiers recently?

(EDIT) How about putting the part names into CODE boxes?
Did anyone ever find out what the hexademical flag-like values in default.IDE actually did?

The way that special features are applied is an interesting puzzle. If they are hardcoded, then they must check the name of the model file. If they are not hardcoded, then quite where the setting would be hidden I am not sure. You could have a look through the handling.CFG using FlagStudio to see if you can find any flag data the vehicles are using which could enable these features. I don't think I have all the default.IDE type files, so I can't see what parameters vehicles are given there.

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

I'm not wack, im all wacked-out!

• Members

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:34 PM Edited by ThaKilla, 16 February 2005 - 10:38 PM.

I have looked into this and I belive it might be a Flags and the main.scm.

Here are the Flags for Vechiles you mentioned above.

Blade
Animation Group = "0-standard car"
Model Flags
|_____Double Exhaust
|_____Axle R(ear) Solid
|_____Force Ground Clearnce
Handling Flags
|_____Hydraulic Geom
|_____Low Rider
|_____Swing Chassis

Tahoma
Animation Group = "0-standard car"
Model Flags
(none)
Handling Flags
|_____Hydraulic Geom
|_____Low Rider
|_____Swing Chassis

Monster
Animation Group = "20-monster"
Model Flags
|_____Hanging Boot
|_____Is Big
Handling Flags
|_____1G (1st gear) Boost
|_____Offroad Ability
|_____Offroad Ability2
|_____Use Max (Sp)Speed Limit
|_____NPC (Non-Player Controlled) Anti-Roll
|_____HB Rear Wheel Steer

Tow Truck
Animation Group = "13-van"
Model Flags
|_____Is Van
|_____Axle R(Rear) Solid
|_____Axle F(Rear) McPherson
Handling Flags
|_____Offroad Ability
|_____Use Max (Sp)Speed Limit
|_____F(ront) Wheel Narrow
|_____R(ear) Wheel Wide2
|_____Hydraulic None

Intresting Note:
Only the Tractor, Packer, ForkLift, Dumper, Dozer, and Cement all have a the Flag "Hydraulic None"

Rhino
Animation Group = "24-tank"
Model Flags
|_____Is Big
|_____Force Door Check
|_____Force Ground Clearance
Handling Flags
|_____Offroad Ability
|_____Offroad Ability2
|_____HB Rear Wheel Steer
|_____F(ront) Wheel Wide2
|_____R(ear) Wheel Wide2
|_____Hydraulic None

QuadBike
Animation Group = "12-quadbike"
Model Flags
|_____No Doors
|_____No Exhaust
|_____Tandem Seats
|_____Axle R(ear) Solid
|_____Axle F(ear) Reverse
Handling Flags
|_____1G(ear) Boost
|_____F(ront) Wheel Narrow
|_____NPC Anti Roll

Also if you copy your GTASA DVD to a floder on your computer, than you can use my GTASA-Ultimate Editor to see the flags for yourself.
Download it from:
GTA Community

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:47 AM

Since Ashdexx just sent me the main text data files, I am thinking that the "Anims" parameter in "vehicles.IDE" must set which animations are used.
CODE
vehicles.IDE "Anims" values in order of appearence:
---------------------------------------------------
null
truck
van
BF_injection
rustler
bus
tank
coach
bikev
bikes
bikeh
biked
quad
dozer
choppa
mtb
shamal
vortex
nevada
KART
wayfarer
Seems to cover all the vehicles with special parts that Ash indentified and would make sense, what with its name being what it is?

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

I'm not wack, im all wacked-out!

• Members

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:28 AM Edited by ThaKilla, 17 February 2005 - 03:24 PM.

I think that is almost true, but i think the animation group is for the actual doors and most of the old GTA3/VC stuff.

As far as the tow truck and tractor hooks:
I think it might be in the dff files, because it would be hard to stream the main.scm(or maybe they have a clever way of running part of it from RAM.
I just have not seen how it's to different from GTA3/VC's main.scm, and it's just not built that way).

Besides the flag for "Hydraulic None'" is set only to the Tractor, Packer, ForkLift, Dumper, Dozer, and Cement. Because they all have moving parts (or should), then that would set them a part.

By the way if any of you want my Prog. just PM me and i will help you set it up with it.. I have been slackin, waiting on the PC to come out in June

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:37 AM

it looks like zmodeler2 will be able to export working SA cars, even with the unregistered version. here's the deal as i understand it:

if you have zmodeler 2 for free, and unregistered, you can either create a new vehicle in zmod 2, and export to SA, or import a zmodeler 1 .z3d file, and export the car from there, to SA. but you will NOT be able to import dff files into zmod 2 unless you register your copy of zmod 2.

if you have it registered, you get the import filter as well, so *in theory* you should be able to import dff's, probably from vice and gta3 too, and re-export them for sa.

So yea, it will be technically possible to convert a previous car as long as you have the original z3d file for sure. however, it wont be just file -> export, you'll have to change a number of things on the model to make it work with SA.

Should be able to convert txds and col files pretty soon wink.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

For those wanting more details about the handling.cfg file as it is currently understood (or if you want to contribute some findings) then my GTASA Handling Definition would be the place for people to do so. I won't be getting the game until my birthday on the 27th of this month, so until then I won't be able to do any testing myself. However, a few people have been sending me test results and discussing possible experiments over MSN with me.

I'd like to remain at the center of vehicle handling because then people only have to go to one site to find out the combined findings of the community. smile.gif

123abc
  • 123abc

Text Book f*cking Mental

• Feroci Racing

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Ash, have you or anyone else figured out how to animate suspensions on cars? Maybe a theory you could share? I read somewhere that there's animation lines in the handleing file, maybe thats what they're for?

I'd love to know this when the time comes to put my 52 chevy ingame.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (123abc @ Jun 19 2005, 22:20)
Ash, have you or anyone else figured out how to animate suspensions on cars? Maybe a theory you could share? I read somewhere that there's animation lines in the handleing file, maybe thats what they're for?

I'd love to know this when the time comes to put my 52 chevy ingame.
From my own tests in GTAVC and from tests done by others in GTASA, these new flags only change the way the wheels animate during suspension movement. There doesn't seem to be any providision for changing how any suspension parts would animate. I simply don't think that feature will be present for most vehicles because it would have required the R* team do a vast amount of modelling to make those parts for every car, even if they were just invisible placeholder objects. My GTASA Handling Definition explains what many of the settings do but it is by no means complete.

Just as a side note, bold red is really unpleasent to try and read from a computer screen.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

i have a good idea how the animated suspension works for cars that have it, and some of you may be disappointed by the answers.

First of all, theres several types of suspension animations, hydraulics, the monster truck-style axles, and the moving shocks on the bandito and the bf injection. we'll come back to the quad. but lets take the others in order.

Hydraulics - appear to be a combination of handling flags, and custom pieces on the cars. it would appear that you could, in theory atleast, add hydraulic geometry to pretty much any vehicle, as the handling.cfg has entries for it. should be just a matter of adding the right pieces and naming them, then setting the flag in the handling file.

Monster truck style solid axles - the monster trucks, dumper, and duneride (offroad delivery truck), all have solid axles, that move with the wheels, great for offroading effects. they are also declared as their own vehicle type in the vehicles.ide, mtruck. vehicles declared as "mtruck", seem to have a couple additional parts in the model - transmission_f, and transmission_r, which by process of elimination and common sense, have to be the moving axles.
Edit: now tested, and confirmed.

Independent suspension - bandito, hotknife and bf injection. The best i can guess for these cars, since they have no similar flags in the handling, or custom entries in the vehicles.ide, is that the effect is hardcoded. they DO have special pieces that move, but the movement of those pieces is assigned to just these vehicles it would seem, through the exe. that is, i can find no special references to them in the handling files, vehicles.ide, or main.scm. you should be able to replace these vehicles, and maintain their moving parts, as long as you have the correct parts named, and in the hierarchy correctly, but you cannot add these parts to other vehicles confused.gif
Edit: tested and cofirmed, these effects ARE hardcoded to these vehicles.

The Quad - nothing really i can say about this. theres only one in the game, and i havent messed with it tounge.gif
basically it drives like a 4-wheeled bike, and everything is animated.

Cerb, i'd say the game engine automatically knows what to do with the suspension pieces when it finds them. it probably just sets their z position and rotation to match the height of the corresponding wheels on the vehicle, and rotates along the x/y axis if necessary, again matching the wheels.
Edit: yea, suspension pieces inherit rotation properties from the wheels.

123abc
  • 123abc

Text Book f*cking Mental

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:16 PM

That answer I like better. I guess its not possible to have IFS and a solid axle out back then. confused.gif

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:22 PM

working headlights and taillights:
the lights now act sort of as [prim] and [sec]. in order to have the lights working you need:
-assign one of the 4 colors (one for each light)
-assign texture 'vehiclelights128'

this is what happens in game:
-during day, the 'vehiclelights128' texture is used, and color is something like 50% gray.
-during night, the 'vehiclelightson128' texture is used instead, and color becomes 100% diffuse and 100% ambient (or something like that?)

colors for each light:
Left Headlight - 255, 175, 0
Right Headlight - 0, 255, 200
Left Taillight - 185, 255, 0
Right Taillight - 255, 60, 0

the taillights i'm 50% sure which is left and which is right wink.gif

At the moment, I dont think you can use custom textures for lights - i've tried, and it didnt quite work. We'll see though - maybe with some magic it will work. But for now, everyone's gotta stick to the generic lights texture...

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:49 PM

@maj: I'm sure someone will discover a way around that.

maybe, we'll have to see.

also on this note, im going to pin the topic. theres too much data here to be synced with my other one AND maintain readability, unless you want a novel-sized topic tounge.gif

i'll try and get pertinent info all in my first post of this topic, including adding the light and suspension info.

Karcus
  • Karcus

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

"More then 1 Hierachy links were selected!

sounds like your using max. Your problem is that one of your objects is linked to 2 or more objects/dummies. you can fix it by unlinking all your objects then relinking them to the right dummies. unfortunately I can't tell you how to correctly fix it now, but its in the schematic view. its obvious you don't know max that well, me too thats why i cant explain. If you can find out how to use schematic view and change it to heiarchy mode than you can check what is linked and what is not. in that menu is where you can unlink all objects and relink them to the correct dummy. Someone else with better knowledge of max could explain. I'm nowhere near my computer so I can't go check where that option is. Sorry.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Jun 22 2005, 12:33)
Independent suspension - bandito and bf injection. The best i can guess for these cars, since they have no similar flags in the handling, or custom entries in the vehicles.ide, is that the effect is hardcoded. they DO have special pieces that move, but the movement of those pieces is assigned to just bandito and bfinject it would seem, through the exe. that is, i can find no special references to them in the handling files, vehicles.ide, or main.scm. you should be able to replace these vehicles, and maintain their moving parts, as long as you have the correct parts named, and in the hierarchy correctly, but you cannot add these parts to other vehicles confused.gif
About the apparently missing suspension animation stuff for these two.

CODE
424,  bfinject,  bfinject,  car,   BFINJECT,  BFINJC,   BF_injection, executive, 6, 0, 0,  -1, 0.84, 0.92,  -1
568,  bandito,  bandito,  car,   BANDITO,  BANDITO, null, ignore,  4, 0, 0,  -1, 0.55, 0.7,  -1
I assume the BF_injection setting for the anim column just enables the animated cambelt on the rear and that the independant suspension is hardcoded? Since the Bandito and BG Injection use visually different suspension parts with different spring lengths, wishbone lengths and different start angles I guess they are assigned different hardcoded suspension behaviours?

QUOTE (Ashdexx @ Jun 22 2005, 12:33)
The Quad - nothing really i can saw about this. theres only one in the game, and i havent messed with it tounge.gif
basically it drives like a 4-wheeled bike, and everything is animated.
CODE
471, quad,  quad,  quad,   QUADBIKE,  QUAD,   quad,  normal,  4, 0, 0,  -1, 0.6, 0.6,  -1
Seems to use its own anim value in the vehicles.ide file. This would presumably include enabling all the leaning of the player in the same way that motorbikes and bicycles do?

QUOTE (Ashdexx @ Jun 22 2005, 12:33)
Cerb, i'd say the game engine automatically knows what to do with the suspension pieces when it finds them. it probably just sets their z position and rotation to match the height of the corresponding wheels on the vehicle, and rotates along the x/y axis if necessary, again matching the wheels.
Looking at the handling.cfg data, the HandllingFlag data has no suspension options ticked at all. I enabled AXLE_F_MCPHERSON and AXLE_R_MCPHERSON and it had no effect to the way the wheels tilt with suspension movement. Another hardcoded effect, it seems.

namman3
  • namman3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

Is conveting a car from vc to sa just renaming the objects?

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:16 PM

pretty much. delete the extra wheels from the model, then add the collision file to the dff and your mostly done.

Darkjamar01
  • Darkjamar01

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

I'm new to this sight and I was wondering if these Mods work for the PS2? And if so hiw do you use them?

namman3
  • namman3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:28 AM

you mean keep only one wheel or delete all of them?

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:10 AM

ps2 = no. PC only.

keep the right front wheel, and delete all the rest. rename the right front wheel, to "wheel".

ascendence
  • ascendence

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:44 PM

How do you implement the upgrade dummies, say for instance, the ug_spoiler and ug_spoiler_dam? I have the dummies in place, named correctly, and their heirarchy parent is boot_dummy. But the game crashes when trying to place a spoiler, so is there a missing setting for the dummies, or something I didn't do?

namman3
  • namman3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

I done like you said but it's not working is that because there is another parent for boot_dummy

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:03 AM

link the "wheel" to the "wheel_rf_dummy", not your boot_dummy notify.gif

@ ascendence - just adding the dummy objects and linking them correctly *should* be enough (was for me when i tried it atleast), there are no other files you need to alter. what gta car are you trying this with anyway?

namman3
  • namman3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

I think i said i done that but the car is not showing up in the game

ascendence
  • ascendence

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:58 AM

I'm using a Vice City model I downloaded of KITT from Knight Rider that I converted to SA for personal use. I'm basically trying to learn as much as I can about the way the dummies and models work and go together before starting a scratch project. I've already figured out the material information, so I can get pretty good looking reflections and tones on the vehicles. So now what I'm trying to learn is the dummy placement, and naming for SA. As for my future scratch project, I want to make a '72 Chevy Nova.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:16 AM

ok. well if your still having issues with the upgrades, post a screenshot of your hierarchy, fully expanded so i can see whats linked to what.

ascendence
  • ascendence

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the help dexx, I got the spoilers working perfectly. You need to append your spoilers section and add 'ug_spoiler_dam01' to it because its a necessary dummy. Without it, the car was crashing for me. But now that it's added, it works fine. So that makes 3 dummies for the spoilers. Again, thanks for the help. biggrin.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:18 AM

theres no such part as "'ug_spoiler_dam01". thats what 3dsmax calls ug_spoiler_dam, when you clone it. i don't know if you had the _dam version on before or not, but i suspect that it would be necessary. i've never tried it without.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users