Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:33 PM
Here's my two cents on gang warfare:
1) Yes, as others have said, the Desert Eagle is the one and only gun for gang warfare (well, the sniper is useful once in awhile). I usually roll with at least 700 DEagle rounds.
2) Stock up on Remote Explosives if you can. They can come in handy when there's a whole bunch of insurgents trapped behind a tall fence. Just drop a charge, step back, and watch out for flying body parts.
3) There have been quite a few battle strategies discussed here. I must say, after a great many battles, the best overall strategy is to give yourself plenty of room. Don't get trapped. Yes, long, one-sided alleyways work, but the key is to pay attention to the blips on the map, and just keep retreating down a big open street. Just turn around every once in awhile, kneel down, and take out anyone in auto-target range. The reason behind this is that, assuming you have Hitman level on your DEagle, you will be able to auto-target, and get the kill, long before your opponents are in firing range. I have tested this, and it is especially helpful with those assf*ck Vagos. The easiest battles I've had were the ones along the big 4-lane highway on the east coast of LS. I just keep firing, and if it gets hairy, I retreat a little bit. This is also great if you have the sniper rifle. If you can retreat far enough down the street, and you're a good shot with the rifle, then you can thin out their ranks long before they even catch sight of you.
4) If you need to make a mad dash for armor or health, and there's a throng of insurgents standing in your path, you might think twice if they're Vagos. The Ballsacs aren't as hard to get through in one piece, but the Vagos, dang...I've had full health/full armor and tried to run by them on 2nd or 3rd wave, and I don't make it 10 feet. They are brutal!
5) If you're crouching and rolling, keep this important fact in mind: if you roll while reloading, once you finish your roll, he will have to begin the reload all over again. This means that it is possible to spend like 4 seconds reloading, while getting blasted upon. Several times, for me, it was the difference between life and death. So be aware of how many rounds are left in your clip, and whatever you do, do not roll if CJ is reloading.
6) Assuming you have unlocked Didier Sachs, dress up in nice digs before going out to blast. This will ensure that CJ says hilarious sh*t when he shoots them, such as "I'm a well-dressed maniac" or "I look good, but I'm a killer"
7) A motorcycle can come in handy if you need to retreat or make a charge through a line of gang members. Sure, if they're vagos, they'll probably set the thing on fire by the time you're through the line, but you'll still have time to hop off and run before it blows up. Plus, if you have an SMG or mini-SMG, you can drive-by on them for an added bonus.
8) After you've won a territory, take a moment to search the surrounding blocks for armor & health pickups if you need them. They stick around for a few minutes, and this can save you time if you're going to start another gang war right away.
9) Save. I can't say it enough. Save! If it's terribly inconvenient, and there's a group of dudes standing right there on the corner just waiting to be blasted on, well, do what you gotta do. But if you have taken alot of new gang territory since your last save, just play it cool. If you end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, a group of AK-wielding Vagos can turn the tide pretty quickly. And remember, if your health is running low and there's a herd of gun-toting f*cks on your heels, there is absolutely no shame in running and living to fight another day. If you do end up dead, it might be a gut reaction to load up your last save, since you lost all your weapons...but just think for a second. Depending on how many weapons you had, it'll probably only take a few minutes to load up again. And if you're low on cash, well, then, either try the ITB get-rich-quick scheme, or, see above. Run! Save! And, in the words of Willie Jones, you live, you live to fight another day.