| Is there any way to retrieve the Hunter without dying..? |
Many people wish to gain access to the Hunter
before they should, but have no idea how, and the ones that do know how don't know how to survive. There are various methods, and this guide will (hopefully) give you a better understanding, and make you more able to retrieve this elusive vehicle!
Note; The Hunter
is not available until you either complete the storyline of Vice City or collect all one hundred hidden packages. If both of the above have been successfully completed then the Hunter
will also spawn at the helipad in Ocean Beach, not too far away from the lighthouse and directly across from the Cathedral.
In order to get the Hunter
at Fort Baxter Airbase without getting shot at, you first need to gain access to the police outfit. Wearing this will stop the army attacking you on sight when entering Fort Baxter, and you can willingly enter the airbase to get the Hunter/Rhino
The Police uniform is accessed by completing the mission Cop land
(or holding onto the uniform after you purchase the Malibu Club and complete the mission No Escape?
, providing you don't die/get busted, though completing Copland
will be a much quicker method), which is the last mission you complete at your mansion, before you complete it's protection ring asset. Once completed, the uniform is located in the only enter-able VCPD HQ, in Washington Beach. As soon as you get in the VCPD HQ, the first entrance to your left will take you to the Men's changing rooms, the uniform is just in there.
Be aware, as soon as you enter the Changing room you'll immediately receive a two-star wanted level, and quite often cops are in the changing room at the same time, and they will open fire, so be quick to get the uniform. Once you are wearing the uniform you can freely go into Fort Baxter airbase, without getting shot at.
There are other well known methods which, although fun, are extremely risky. Some people opt to shoot their way through the Airbase, which is very dangerous, as once you get inside Fort Baxter, if there are soldiers around they will open fire, and kill you in a matter of seconds, no matter how much life/armour and how good weapons you have. And then there's the fact that soldiers continuously spawn at different places, so you'd have to be on your guard at all times. Fact is, you'd probably die within a minute, simply making a run for the Hunter is better than opting to shoot the soldiers down.
Another well-known method is flying a Helicopter into the base, landing it beside the Hunter
and stealing it. In theory, this seems relatively simple, but as soon as your chopper hovers over the Airbase, the soldiers will open fire. They're deadly accurate, and within seconds your chopper will be burning, forcing you to flee, which will either kill you as you'll land on top of the burning chopper just a it blows up, or it will leave you exposed to the barrage of shots you're about to receive from the soldiers. Even if you manage to land the chopper safely beside the Hunter, soldiers often spawn in the Tents beside, and come out of nowhere to blow you up, whether you're in the Hunter or not.
I've actually tested my luck out here, and I've attempted flying to the Hunter
in a Chopper ten times, to see ho lucky/unlucky I really am. Note that I've made sure my armour and health points were at 150, as that will be the maximum for most gamers wishing to get there. Here are my results-
- My Maverick
was on fire just as I landed it and fled, but I got in the Hunter
and fled safely, only losing 83 armour in the process... passed!
- I landed my chopper safely, but got annihilated the moment I stepped into the Hunter
- Again I managed to get in the Hunter
, this time with 97 armour remaining before getting annihilated... failed!
- This attempt was a carbon copy of my third attempt, except I had full armour and full health in-tact just before I got destroyed... failed!
- My first clean sheet! Not only did I manage to get in the Hunter
and safely flee the Airbase, but I did it with full and and armour... passed!
- I again got in the Hunter
, but it was soon on fire. I managed to flee and survive... for about three seconds! Failed!
- What a successful run I had after attempt 6! I managed to succeed with all four final attempts, all with full health and armour!Total passed- 6
Total failed- 4
Success percentage- 60%
Furthermore, some gamers choose to simply make a desperate dash for the Hunter
, which is every bit as risky, if not more than the above method. I also tested my luck at running for the Hunter
ten times each. My path to the Hunter
was- Ramming the barrier with a vehicle, then exiting the vehicle and running up the stairs, past the trenches (keeping close to the edge), through the narrow path and towards the training ground. Then I avoided the training ground completely, ran behind the first building on the left, and finally ran around the back of the tents to the Hunter
.Here are my results-
- I managed to get to the narrow gap just beyond the trenches before getting shot down, there were soldiers both outside the Airbase, in the central area and in the trenches. In short, I had no chance... failed!
- This time I managed to get a little further, I got to the first big tent with only 45 health points remaining. Three, yes three different groups of soldiers had all spawned in front of me, and they wiped my remaining life away in literally a split second... failed!
- This one was no short of abysmal. The soldiers managed to blow my car up before I even got to smash the barriers! They also managed to wipe out my entire armour, and most of my health, leaving me with just 22 health points as I entered the Airbase. To my surprise, I actually managed to get to the Hunter
, and had only lost 5 health points (and that was because I jumped down the set of stairs after the trenches!). I thought I'd actually succeed this time, even though I'd ran by a group of soldiers as I entered the Hunter
. They eventually noticed me, and blew me, and the Hunter
to smithereens... failed!
- I got to the Hunter
with 136 armour, and all my health in tact. Thinking that some soldiers would pop out of nowhere to blow me away, I still wasn't confident. To my surprise I made it out of the Airbase, with the Hunter
, without receiving another shot... passed!
- This attempt was almost reminiscent as my 4th attempt, only this time when I was in the Hunter
and setting off, I only had 70 armour, but still had full health... passed!
- Much like the above two attempts, I got to the Hunter
with a lot of armour (110) and full health in-tact. Three in a row...? Not likely! A group of soldiers were in the far-out tents, and they blew me up... failed!
- I again got to the hunter
with 110 armour and full health, but this time two groups of soldiers blew me up as I was about to set off... failed!
- The same as my 4th attempt, I got in the Hunter
with all health and 136 armour, and managed to get out safely... passed!
- This attempt was pretty dire, although I did manage to get to the Hunter
, but with only 17 health points remaining, that was until I got blown to pieces... failed!
- I really wanted to succeed with my last attempt, and I did! I had 70 armour and full health remaining when I got out of the Airbase safely... passed!Total passed- 3
Total failed- 7
Success percentage- 30%
As you can see, the first method is what I was luckiest on, but I still didn't succeed as many times as I'd class as a 'high chance of success' method. Looking at this, these are your best chances to succeed-
-Cop uniform- 100%
-Using a chopper- 60%
-Making a run for it- 30%
Before going into the Airbase, you've got to be aware that the soldiers don't only spawn beside the Rhino, and outside the Airbase, but they also spawn-
-Beside the steps leading up to the trenches
-On the steps leading up to the trenches on the roof
-On the steps at the foot of both watch towers
-In the trenches
-In the narrow path leading to the training ground
-In multiple spots on the training ground
-In and around the tents beside the Hunter
-In the far-out tent and in the Southernmost corner beside the Hunter
...as well as other spots. Nine times out of ten, the average gamer will have a hard time making it alive.
If you're going into Fort Baxter to retrieve the Rhino, you will be able to get to it wearing any uniform you like, as it's relatively close to the entrance, but if you're wishing to get inside Fort Baxter to gain access to the Hunter, any method aside from wearing the cop uniform would be nigh on suicidal. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________