» «
Photo

Gav's Stunt Guide (v1)

25 replies to this topic
gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:40 AM Edited by gav1100, 09 November 2004 - 02:52 PM.

Gav's Stunt Guide

Rules:
Doing stunts around vice city is a fun way to make money, and a good way to get respect when showing your vids on GTAForums.
In this guide i will be focusing mainly on the kind of stunts you see in the stunt vids.
There are 3 main 'rules' of stunting which i will explane:

1 - the first real rule of stunting is knowing your vehicle. Obviously you will get more air and better spins in a Pheonix than you will in a Baggage Handler. Below is a list of the best vehicles to use.

Pheonix
Cheetha
Infurnus
PCJ600
Sanchez

You may be supprised when you see that the Angel or the Freeway is not in the list. This is because you wont want to use these bikes until you are more advanced (they dont lift quite so well and are heavier).

2 - Know your path. It is esencial to have a good clear path leading up to a jump, when possable i prefer to use a sidewalk/pavement for my run-ups as hitting pedestrians does little damage compared to hitting a car. I will talk later about lining up and hitting the right place.

3 - Know your landing. This is mainly for making vids. You do a brilliant 100ft jump with a 9000 degree spin, but then you crash..does not look quite as good as a clean landing. Make sure your landing zone is clear.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Preparing:
When practising your stunts it is a good idea to make sure you have body armour, possably a hospital nearby, and possably a garage for storing spare bikes / cars. When i talk about hitting traffic lights, you will see what i mean.

Stunts:
OK by now you are wanting to get on with the flips and spins of stunting. I am asuming you already can drive the cars and ride the bikes without problem. So lets get started on some slightly more basic stunts.

The statium:
Believe it or not, the best place to start is the dirtbike arena in the stadium, collect all but one of the glowing things, then go around and give youself a chance to get used to jumps, loops etc.

Now i am going to throw you in at the deepend as i think this is the best way to go on Vice City.

Hitting traffic lights:
If you have seen any of Nitzkit's videos, you will be aware of what this stunt is. If you dont, then download one or two of his videos (from his sig). To do this stunt i suggest a nice place i like over by the VROCK station building in Downtown.
user posted image
http://img62.exs.cx/...rafficlight.jpg
The green blob is the starting point, The red blob is the target

To do this stunt you will need A) the hyman condo, and B) 2 or 3 PCJ600's.
Store the spare bikes in one of the garages in the hyman condo and go outside to the sidewalk/pavement (the one on the same side as the VROCK building). Ride the bike slowly down there and get a feel for the path up to the traffic light.
When you are ready, build up moderate speed and make sure Tommy's head is inline with the traffic light, when you get close to the traffic light, pull a small wheelie and accelarate more, you will probably either smash through the post, or hit it and fall off, but this is only your first time, heres what went wrong:

"Tommy crashed and the bike flew off" - Try pulling the wheelie a bit sooner.
"Tommy and the bike flew straight through the post" - Try pulling the wheelie sooner.
"Tommy came off while doing the wheelie" - Try doing it a bit later wink.gif
"I missed" - Aim better.

You can see a pattern imerging, try several times to get the wheelie in the right place.
Upon hitting the jump perfectly and doing a spin/flip, make tommy lean foreward slightly so you dont screw it up when you land and keep the acceleration going all throughout the landing to make sure the bike does not fly off backwards.

If black smoke starts coming out your bike, ride it carefully up to the condo, park it in a garage, and pick up a spare bike from in there and carry on. If you get lower than 25 health, visit the hospital just down the road or get the armour ontop of the condo.

It is ideal to practise this stunt a couple of hundred times, but keep doing it until you are hitting 1000+ degree spins (the landing pic shows 1124 degrees, this is not one of my better ones. Just thaught i'd point it out cus it looks like it says 124 degrees).

Wall Jumps:
There are several places to jump a wall around the city, 2 of my favourites are (again) near the VROCK building, and near the north point mall. The good thing with wall jump is they can be done in a car (much safer), or a bike (more stunts).

user posted image
http://img62.exs.cx/...5/vrockjump.jpg
The green blob is the starting point, the red blob is the target

VROCK building wall jump: the name of this stunt might confuze you but its the best description i can get, about half way between the downtown pizza place, and the VROCK station, is a large hotel with a carpark around the back of the hospital, somewhere opposite the hotel is a small path between buildings, take you vehicle of choise down this path and turn round to face the hotel.
Accelarate fully and head towards to hotel, you will see a small wall sppear with a slope on it (its a good idea to study the wall before you make this jump), just wack you bike or car onto this slope (remember to wheelie on a bike just before the jump) and 70% of the time you will pull off a few flips or spins.

There is no real skill to doing this in a car, but test yourself by doing it on a PCJ600 or Sanchez.

user posted image
http://img62.exs.cx/...08/malljump.jpg
Once again, the green blob is the starting point, and the red blob is the target

Mall Wall Jump: head over to the mall via prawn island and you will see a broken piece of the wall near the end of the bridge. study the wall and you will see a perfect stunt zone.
Take your car / bike down towards the Swanko building thing (the one you can buy at the botton of the road), turn round to face the jump, and again, power your car / bike down this straight and aim for the whitest piece of the broken wall, (on a bike, remember to pull a small wheelie before the jump) with any luck you will do a flip or two and maybe (on bike) land ontop of the mall.

Again, practise these two things until you are pleased with what you can do.

Taxi jumps: For these stunts you need to have done 100 taxi missions and know how to make the taxi jump.
Alot of people are amazed by how Nitzkit got that taxi up the side of the hotel onto the roof.
This is how you do it:
Get a regular taxi (not a kaufman cab thing) and line it up with the part of the hotel which is not covered by the big shelf overhanding the doors, run the taxi at this area and as soon as you hit the steps, press the jump button. I can nearly garentee you will not get onto the roof straight away, but (like the wheelies on the bikes) its all about the jump timing, keep practising and once you are on the side of the building, its easy, you can either reverse (slower but more accurate) or go forewards (faster but more risk of flying about).
More taxi jumps can be performed anywhere in vice city.

Grinding:
The best thing about being able to do grinds on a bike, is that once you can do them, you can do them on any wall, any corner, any fence etc etc etc.
For this trick i suggest using the PCJ600 althugh it is possable to grind in a car but it takes too much effort.
A perfect place to begin grinding is the bridge leading from little haiti / havana, to the golf course island, i chose this place because its a long, empty stretch with a low fence each side of the roads.

To do this stunt you will need to be able to balance your bike. First of all build up fairly low speed along the road, then, when you are ready to start, pull a wheelie over to the fence, you will see that you either mount the fence and then fall off or stop, or you will come back onto the road. If you come back onto the road then try pulling a larger wheelie.

Once mounted on the fence, you need momentum, you can get this by leaning tommy backwards, then forewards, then backwards, then forewards etc until you wish to stop, not only does this move you along and keep the momentum up, it also balances you bike to (hopefully) stop you falling off.

The only problem with this location is there are not many spare bikes, health, or armour around, and if you run it at the fence too fast, you may end up feeding the fishes.
You can stop grinding at any time by making tommy lean back lots, or lean forewards lots to make either wheel touch the ground.

One you have got the hang of this, try it on various other fences (see Nitzkit's vids for ideas).

user posted image
http://img114.exs.cx...14/6374/gsg.jpg
Fountain Fireworks:
One of my favourite jumps has to be something i call a Fountain Firework. as you come over the bridge to prawn island from downtown you will see a wide piece of path just by the edge of the bridge, line ur bike or car up with the foundtain in the middle of all the houses and you are ready to go.
Zoom full speed towards the center of the fountain and (again) pull a small wheelie at the right time, you will either do a big mid-air spin, or zoom straight up in the air (sometimes you will land doing a wheelie on the top of the fountain).
Because your landing will be on a slight slope (because of the road), i advise that you point your front wheel down 45 degrees before landing.
You can try this stunt from various starting positions such as the oposite bridge which leads to the mall, and outside the gates of the film studio.
user posted image
http://img114.exs.cx.../4357/mound.jpg
Port Mound:
I like this stunt because.......i dont know i just do tounge.gif
Start off down by the port gates facing west so you are ready to ride over the tarmac and grass behind the pay&spray to the west.

If you are looking to do a flip, ride the bike at full speed and aim for the tree up on the mound, for this you dont need to pull much of a wheelie but a small one helps.
With any luck you will fly up and run up the side of the tree, eventualy flipping over when you are near the top.

If you are looking for a spin (onto the roof of the blue building) then aim for just south (left) of the tree. You will need to pull a slightly bigger wheelie because its a bigger mound and aim slightly towards the building.
when you hit the mound and fly into the air, try to lean in the direction of the building and hopefully you will spin onto the roof (it will take a few tries).

if / when your bike starts to have black smoke pouring out of it, take it round the corner to the pay&spray; or if you have no money and own sunshine autos, take it to one of the garages.
General stunting tips: Make sure it is not wet or raining! Read the rules of stunting (at the top)! Make sure the car / bike is playing your fave radio station (this will fight boredom)! PRACTICE!

I have picked these areas of stunting because once you get the hang of them, they can be performed just about anywhere in Vice.
The key to all these stunts is to practice, practice, practice! Vice City may be getting old but it is the best place to begin stunting because it is not overly-large like SA.
This is not the final copy of this guide, more stunts will be added in later and videos will be up for viewing. as will pics.
catloaf_by_anuj.gif

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:16 AM

Well done dude. It looks good. Must have taken a while. smile.gif

This is quite similar. You may get some inspiration/ideas from here. Clicky.

BansheeBandit
  • BansheeBandit

$$H Advisor

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:38 AM

Nice little guide there smile.gif

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

Thanx guys, im currently writing up a piece for a few more stunts and im trying to sort out pics.
catloaf_by_anuj.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:30 PM

I like the troubleshooting part especially smile.gif Nice work.

Oh, and btw...

Pinned.

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:08 PM Edited by gav1100, 21 October 2004 - 08:55 PM.

Thanx guys. Just added in a brief map key thing below each map piece.

At the moment im working on adding more stunts in and more tips.
I am also thinking about including a brief section on putting a stunt vid together.

Also feel free to ask any questions!
catloaf_by_anuj.gif

Dennehy
  • Dennehy

*D86

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:44 AM

Pretty cool dude, congrats on the karma, now you're officially not a n00b anymore. Newb wink.gif

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:21 PM

Just put in a guide for grinding. smile.gif

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:39 PM

heya just to let you know, im making a new stunt vid to hopefully tie in with this guide. I am currently in the middle of recording it before i edit it.

When i release the vid, i will post up a recording/editing guide for stunt vids!

Any ideas for a sountrack song will be apreciated!

Also: i am writing up 2 more stunts for the guide so expect them to be done either in a few hours, or on sunday/monday cus im on holiday tomorrow tounge.gif

(ps soz for the double post but hey)

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:11 AM

Nice guide there!

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:49 PM Edited by gav1100, 05 November 2004 - 12:59 PM.

just added in Fountain Fireworks tounge.gif
small vid clips of each stunt are on the way, they should be here in a few days smile.gif

PS: dus anyone know any good, free vid hosting sites? if not then i'l use up the space on my own site

Plasma xl
  • Plasma xl

Jesus Jr.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Fuzzy Juzzy @ Oct 21 2004, 11:16)
Well done dude. It looks good. Must have taken a while.  smile.gif

Thanks for the shout fuzzy. tounge.gif

Nice work Gav, Don't go ripping up other peoples guides tho.You can take some parts of mine if you need them, But PM me first.
smile.gif

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:57 PM Edited by gav1100, 07 November 2004 - 04:00 PM.

ok so my vid capture method is being a b!+c|-| so i am adding in pics (done traffic light hitting so far), they arnt the best quality but you can make out whats going on. i think i will leave it as pics (and maybe some .gif animations) because it is more 56k friendly.
Check them out and tell me what you think (they are imbedded within the traffic light section); if you peeps do realy need vids then i will pull out all the stops and spend time fixing my recording method, if not then i will continue to add pics. cool.gif

QUOTE (Fuzzy Juzzy @ Oct 21 2004, 11:16)
Well done dude. It looks good. Must have taken a while.  smile.gif

Thanks for the shout fuzzy. tounge.gif

Nice work Gav, Don't go ripping up other peoples guides tho.You can take some parts of mine if you need them, But PM me first.
smile.gif

For now, i seem to be coping quite well on my own, thanks.

nitzkit
  • nitzkit

We're Out There

• Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (gav1100 @ Nov 5 2004, 12:49)
just added in Fountain Fireworks tounge.gif
small vid clips of each stunt are on the way, they should be here in a few days smile.gif

PS: dus anyone know any good, free vid hosting sites? if not then i'l use up the space on my own site

This works really well http://home.filefront.com/
I love the guide btw

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:28 AM Edited by gav1100, 09 November 2004 - 02:53 PM.

There you have it people, straight from The best gta stunter. We bow down to you Nitzkit

i wont double post so il just say: just added in the Port Mound

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:17 PM

I love the Port Mound inlove.gif. All hail the great Nitzkit.

Dummy
  • Dummy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

nice guide.. i'm pretty new to stunting and would really be happy if someone could post a pic where he is in a wheelie and about to hit a wall or a traficlight.. because i find it a bit hard to see on your pics how big a wheelie i should pull..
i have also wachted a lot stunt movies, but i can't figure out how the stunters can get so much air in their jumps?

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

Great guide...You should try to include how to do Stoppies and Wheelies....mainly because I can't nail a Wheelie tounge2.gif
Keep up the good work.

KnockOut
  • KnockOut

"This noodle's black..."

• Members

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:09 AM

*KNOCKOUT'S OTHER STUNTS*

- Here's a little compilation of stunts I personally like to do around VC. You need driving skill for these bad boys...

1. Realistic grinding...

- One of my favorite places to grind, (that also looks extremely realistic when done correctly,) is right in front of the Vercetti Mansion. I'm refering the the large, wide stair case where your money asset is located... get a Sanchez or a PCJ, and start at the SMALL STAIR CASE located in front of the entrance. (Let me explain: there are 2 sets of stair cases in the middle of the front of your mansion. There's the large set with the money assest at the top, and BEHIND THE MONEY ICON, there's a small set that lead to the open door.) Start at the open door, (without going in,) and head toward the rail on the large set at a moderate speed. If you pull a little wheelie on an angle... you'll slide down the rail on the middle of your bike perfectly. It looks great when done correctly lol...

2. Realistic jumping skill...

- On top of the building where you do the spotlight mission... (the building WITH THE SPOTLIGHT, not the building that the spotlight shines on to lol,) - you'll notice 3 sky-light windows sticking up to the sides of the spotlight itself. You'll also notice that the main shape of the rooftop is a ramp itself... so get a little speed at the either edge of the building - pull a SMALL WHEELIE because there's a lip before the incline starts, and once you get up the incline a little - pull ANOTHER wheel to hit the skylights and boost yourself up higher. When done correctly, you'll need to level yourself in the air... but it's a fun little jump to hit. In a nutshell, pull wheelies and hit the skylights next to the spotlight... that's the easiest way to explain it.

3. Ledge-Rider...

- This can be performed anywhere you can get jiggy with it lol. At various spots in VC, you see narrow ledges just wide enough for PCJ/Sanches tires. Do wheelies along these ledges if you're REALLY a champion. (Champion?) ... sounded good.

4. Sandtrap Hopper...

- Now I'm just typing for the sake of typing lol. Get a PCJ or a Sanchez and hop in and out of sand traps at the golf coarse... it's fun.

NerosNuurb
  • NerosNuurb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

thanks for the tips.
I think I found a pretty cool jump myself. Head down the street that 'Robbinas Cafe' is located - straight ahead is a small alley that ends in a small sandy hill. If done right I end up at the airport.

gtastuntking
  • gtastuntking

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

great guide biggrin.gif im new at stunting so this really helped me i just wish ur vids of u stunting worked out.... sad.gif u should take pics of u stunting and postem on here please that would help me

gtastuntking
  • gtastuntking

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

i found new places to do stunts biggrin.gif foudn 3 new ones ur guide really helped me but i still cant get grinding down sad.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:03 AM Edited by Spuds725, 18 August 2005 - 01:13 AM.

Last Activity / Last Post---- May 2 2005, 10:57 / Feb 11 2005, 17:58

If you click on Gav's name in one his post you will find this.

He hasn't been on here in 3 months and hasn't posted in 6 months.

I just unpinned this guide since Gav has apparently left us.

I am going to link to this thread via the USER submitted guides thread as its still a good resource for stunting.

ronak
  • ronak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:26 AM

why isn't banshee in the list ??

gav1100
  • gav1100

Stuntman

• Members

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Aug 18 2005, 01:03)
Last Activity / Last Post---- May 2 2005, 10:57 / Feb 11 2005, 17:58

If you click on Gav's name in one his post you will find this.

He hasn't been on here in 3 months and hasn't posted in 6 months.

I just unpinned this guide since Gav has apparently left us.

I am going to link to this thread via the USER submitted guides thread as its still a good resource for stunting.

no no im still here sorry tounge.gif

GritSandWiches4Breakfest
  • GritSandWiches4Breakfest

Pimp oF The natioN

• Members

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:20 PM

cool.gif Nice stunt guide I should try some of this. cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users