» «
Photo

Damage Texturing

12 replies to this topic
Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:29 PM Edited by Kitteh, 12 May 2009 - 12:22 AM.

A lot of people lately have been asking how to do this in their WIP threads, so I thought why not make a quick tutorial here so they all know smile.gif

To do damage texturing, you'll need:
  • white64.tga (looks white and can be found in most TXDs)
  • Zanoza Modeler 1.07b (can be found here)
  • A car with damaged parts modeled (but not textured - wait, why would you be reading this if they were textured? biggrin.gif)
  • Knowledge of Zmodeler
Step 1:
user posted image
Step 2:
user posted image
Step 3:
user posted image
Step 4:
user posted image
To texture with white64a.bmp:

Texture the same way as before, except without the transparency, and use scratcha64 to be able to see the scratch to make mapping easier. Then, before you export the model for ingame purposes, change scratcha64.bmp to white64a.bmp. In the TXD, put in white64a.bmp and scratcha64.bmp as its alpha.

If you didn't understand it, PM me or post here and I can help you.

Thanks.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:36 PM

Some ideas for you, try to include pictures, picture speak an thousand words...

its aiite though.

Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:30 PM

Got pictures now wink.gif

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:00 PM

Good stuff. Not the exact method I use, but it works all the same. smile.gif

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:20 PM

Nice tut, but I find it quicker to do it this way:

user posted image

It's quicker, and you dont have to reunite all the polys back after detaching a chunk of your object (suicidal.gif). I imagine it is slightly quicker too. Meh, just a thought smile.gif

<3D

Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Suction Testicle Man @ Oct 9 2004, 15:20)
Nice tut, but I find it quicker to do it this way:

user posted image

It's quicker, and you dont have to reunite all the polys back after detaching a chunk of your object (suicidal.gif). I imagine it is slightly quicker too. Meh, just a thought smile.gif

<3D

You don't need to unite the verts. In fact, you shouldn't or the texture will clip.

That way is fast but ends up looking crappy if you pay any attention to the scratches while playing.

ghost of delete key
  • ghost of delete key

ಠ_ಠ ... otter ...

• The Connection

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:27 PM Edited by ghost of delete key, 14 October 2004 - 01:38 PM.

@ STM: I'm sorry, but I don't see what uniting vertices has to do with anything, as there is no detachment of anything from the object...

@ everyone:

The object is simply duplicated, and all unnecessary faces removed, to produce a "skin" which is moved to hover just slightly over the main portion. Of course these two objects must then be united as one object, taking the name of the original "whatever_dam"

Uniting the vertices is irrelevant in this operation, as the two portions of the new object share no common vertices. The scratched portion is only an overlay.

@ Kitteh: You may want to revise your walkthrough slightly to stress that you are using:

Create... > Objects... > UniteSelect (while in Objects mode!)

To wit:

user posted image

People newer to Zmodeler may not realize that this is what you mean by "unite" colgate.gif

@ everyone again:

About the clipping effect- this annoying condition occurs wherever the planes of two polygons intersect, as seen in this detail of the previous example:

user posted image

The scintillation of the texture occurs along the virtual edge created by one polygon passing through the other. Since this virtual edge is not defined by any vertices, this causes a problem displaying the textures, as the rendering pipeline doesn't account for partial pixels within the face of the poly - this can only occur at a real edge which is defined by vertices. Intersecting pixels along this edge compete for Z-order, so as the POV moves, each scene frame is rendered with varous states of display for each of those UV pixels; Hi-Z, Low-Z, and a "mutual-Z" condition which causes an error, and fails to display any texture at all there.

This is why the scratched portion of the _dam object needs to be moved just slightly away from the base portion, so as not to let the faces come into contact with each other. (just don't move it TOO far, or you'll get a floating scratch which looks real goofy lol.gif )

While STM's method is certainly an effective quickie, IMHO Kitteh's method is really the only way to ensure a trouble-free texture display which perfectly conforms physically with the _dam object.

<edit: sp.>

Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:35 AM

wow.gif

Just wow.gif

My brain is out of RAM.

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Bumped, due to the fact image links need sorting. - GTAuron

dule
  • dule

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:51 AM

How to do this in zm2? This pics dont work.

Millenia
  • Millenia

Gunz 'R Us

• Members

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

Of course they don't work since the topic is over 2 years old

jarjar
  • jarjar

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Kitteh @ Sep 30 2004, 08:30)

Odd, there not showing up for me, properly ImageShack being annoying again confused.gif.

-/TNT\-
  • -/TNT\-

not like any other rainbow.

• Members

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (jarjar @ Oct 5 2006, 12:38)
QUOTE (Kitteh @ Sep 30 2004, 08:30)

Odd, there not showing up for me, properly ImageShack being annoying again confused.gif.

Can someone please fix the pictures? I would greatly appreciate it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users