• This topic is locked This topic is locked
130 replies to this topic
[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:30 PM

kryptos...

All the initial work was asm.. once written into handling modules we interfaced the c++ directx hook. Our next task was to reverse and document every routine we were interested in.. The first little experiment went so well we found it hard to stop smile.gif

We created an actor, gave him and gun, and sent him killing people smile.gif When the advancements are very visual its easy to get motivation to continue..

The biggest benefit i can see is that with our system you can amalgamate both code and script commands.. making it very flexible to use and actually this is the key to being able to create missions.

ggm_SpYder.. ask your questions my friend.. ill try my best to answer them.

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:42 PM

I assumed much of your work was in Assembly as most of both your and Spooky's tutorials use Assembly code as the basis. I had initially asked if it was completely written in Assembly in my previous post although I quickly realized you had implemented a DirectX GUI so that ruled out using Assembly for everything.

As of right now I only have screenshots to go off, unfortunately my GTA:VC CD is scratched and GTA:VC won't run with a back-up disc so I'm going to run out and buy a new GTA:VC game just to run this. From what I've seen so far it's nothing short of spectacular, and considering this is only the third day of this escapade I believe the future will be nothing short of astounding.

eAi
  • eAi

MTA Team

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:54 PM

[sheep]

I'm interested as to why you had to "reverse and document every routine we were interested in", what did this involve, surely all the code is already there?

eAi

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:16 PM

I assume the documentation is to provide a clear idea of what's occuring at any given point. Although it's not necessary, it's the same as finding a memory address that's pertinent to something you want to do, and instead of documenting it you say to yourself "I'll remember it", then after a few weeks have gone by you not only don't remember that memory address, you don't even remember finding it. The reversing part is self-explanatory as I know you're experienced with RCE.

[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

erm,

reversing a routine within the game is the process of using a debugger to trace from the jump tables into the specific function and document exactly what is manipulated by this routine.. (the internals if u wish)

I feel that your talking about the actual opcodes already being documented.. this is very true.. but our engine is built on flexibility and for what we plan to do next, we need much more knowledge on exactly what the opcode functions are doing.. this will enable us to cut out a lot of work from the gts engine and instead deal with it from within our own engine.. which is a major advantage especially when considering bandwidth over networks..

Spooky
  • Spooky

Prince of the Yolkfolk

• Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Cray @ Sep 3 2004, 14:00)
Actors and Vehicles created on command fully in game. In this test mode, you specify the type of Actor / Vehicle (similar to your program I presume), and it creates the object at the Player Position, plus an offset.

Does this mean you have checks in your mission script for flags that are set from the program etc, or does it mean you actually force the opcodes through the script interpreter by modifying that interpreter?

If it is the latter, I am genuinely happy (and surprised!) for you, as although this wasn't a particularly hard task for us to accomplish, I'm sure you had to work long and hard to perfect it. I'll look forward to trying this new revolution in gta online gaming when it's ready, and also my team and I will throw you some pointers where we can to help you with it.

vnum218
  • vnum218

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:20 AM Edited by vnum218, 04 September 2004 - 02:30 AM.

Please don't flame me or say I'm an idiot. I realize that the bug I am about to describe is not a flaw in the mod. If you try to get into RC vehicles the game crashes. I tested this twice, so I would be somewhat surprised if it were not true. Amazing sh*t. The cookies: cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif .

EDIT:

Also, I added a whole bunch of actors (i'm not exactly sure how many) when I was standing outside the condo with 3 garages and a heli on the roof, and the nearby stoplight started flashing. It's cycle stayed correct, but the light turned on and off (or perhaps it normally does this and it slowed down significantly.).

EDIT2:

I added 70 actors on the roof of the aforementioned condo, and red and blue/green lights started flashing; that is to say the actors et al were illuminated with red and blue/green lights, but no such lights appeared. Strange.

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 04 September 2004 - 03:04 AM

I believe the lights you experienced are caused by surpassing the allotted memory that is allocated for actors, to my knowledge GTA:VC supports 64 actors although I'm unsure, someone else will have to verify that number since I've worked mostly with the GTA3 engine, so creating 70 actors on the screen will cause memory related problems like the ones you experienced. I'm sure [sheep] and Spooky have more logical solutions, although that's the conclusion that seems most justifiable to me.

vnum218
  • vnum218

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:25 PM

That makes sense. Also, I was able to get into an RC chopper when I spawned one in the Real Vice City mod, so I wonder why it didn't work in the other. Oh well.
A request to the amazing coders: could you possibly get the program to display what vehicle you are in up by the coordinates, in the line beneath or something.
Also, what are the numbers for the RC vehicles? All the tests i've done with them have been from spawning stuff until one of those came up.

Great work guys, keep it up! rah.gif rah.gif rah.gif

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

You can access the vehicle numbers within the /data/default.ide file. The RC vehicle numbers are:

RCBandit: 171
RCBaron: 194
RCRaider: 195
RCGoblin: 231

vnum218
  • vnum218

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:13 PM Edited by vnum218, 04 September 2004 - 08:37 PM.

Yeah, I found them. Thanks though.

Anyway, the RC copter works with that mod, the RC dirtbike does not (i think).

With Real Vice City (I don't know about anything else, but I'm guessing it's the same):

171 crashes the game
194 crashes the game
195 works
231 works Shrunken Apache from default install

EDIT:

I was obviosly wrong about them being the same, in a fresh install:
171 crashes the game
194 crashes the game
195 crashes the game
231 crashes the game

EDIT 2:

More evidence to prove that assumption was wrong:
With KillerKip's Mod:

171 works Shrunken Juggernaut 2
194 crashes the game SR-71
195 crashes the game Millenium Falcon
231 crashes the game Tie Bomber

I think I see a pattern emerging: If the models being used are shrunken versions of one's you can drive, then they will function.

Side note: If you have KillerKip's mod installed, spawn the Shrunken Juggernaut 2 and drive it around! Tons of fun.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:33 PM

hi, this is a excellent project, which seems to do something the right way,
i made the developer-console program, a supertrainer, i don't know where
this goes but it already does some cool stuff that my trainer didn't, i didn't
read even half of posts in this topic, so sorry if i am anywhere wrong.

basicly i wish your project all-best.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:12 AM

I was obviosly wrong about them being the same, in a fresh install:
171 crashes the game
194 crashes the game
195 crashes the game
231 crashes the game

Funny, i'm also running a fresh install, and spawning these cars (rc vehicles) DOESN'T crash my game. Getting in does, but not the spawning itself.

Which did you mean?

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Inactive Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:31 AM

How did I overlook this topic before,
this is simply great.

I'll fully support your attitude of openness,
I see the gta realm filling up with knowledge.

I'm thrilled with the outlook of being able to
implement custom opcodes in asm.
Are you guys planning to release a framework to enable this
for other ppl?

It feels great to be in the presence of genius

inlove.gif

[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:36 AM

vnum218.. hehe thanks for all the info smile.gif i do however feel you have an unhealthy fixation with small things smile.gif )) and im certainly not surprised you cant get into all the RC models.. the legroom must be murder smile.gif )))

Delfi.. Thanks for your support, ive read many posts by yourself and spooky speaks very highly of you.. The thread you started a while back with all the memory addresses was a great addition to the community..

SMALL UPDATE!!!

You will be pleased to hear that spooky has finished our fully functioning network code, the first test we carried out was smooth movement animation from server to client and it worked 100%.. actually the results were better than we had anticipated.

We will continue to update this thread on a regular basis as and when we implement new features.

[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:57 AM

sorry, i was typing my replies as the new posts came in..

ashdexx.. i think he means actually getting inside and driving them.. i didnt realize this was a feature of the game.. so if it does crash it wouldnt surprise me..

Patrick W.. its always nice to receive encouragement.. and not 1 word of it goes unappreciated.. its one of the things that keeps us going.. smile.gif

Once our base mod is up and running we will MOST DEFINITELY!!!!!! release the code to enable everyone to execute arbitrary opcodes or scripts themselves from within the game... we would release this sooner if we had time to make it more friendly..

Myself and spooky both come from a scene where knowledge is also horde away by certain people.. yet we sit and moderate an irc channel to help everyone (EVEN OUR COMPETITION). Our big problem with the community here is again, the lack of knowledge sharing from certain people, we would just be hypocrites if we didnt share the knowledge we have obtained.

REspawn
  • REspawn

REgent

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:56 AM

Excellent work guys, as always spooky your tools rule.

God bless the mini-gun.

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:30 AM Edited by Kryptos, 06 September 2004 - 04:55 AM.

Just thought I'd make a quick mention of the RC vehicles as I've been playing with them a bit. All the RC vehicles appear to cause the game to crash, however, when vehicle 194, the RCBaron, is spawned it is useable, although it does cause unorthodox crashes. Sometimes it will crash you when you first try to enter it, other times you can fly it for large periods without even the slightest sign of a problem, although after you exit the vehicle and re-enter it the game will again crash. I have been unsuccessful getting any of the other three vehicles to work without crashing when I enter them. For anyone who wants to fly the RCBaron, it's definitely worth the flight.

user posted image

As the saying goes; a picture is worth a thousand words.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:16 AM

Possible solution: After creating RC vehicles, keep it in memory, and if the player is near the vehicles and pressing the enter car button, execute the "put_player_in_rc_mode" opcode. (0x046E)

Kent767
  • Kent767

MTA Developer

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:33 AM Edited by Kent767, 06 September 2004 - 06:41 AM.

in regards to the RC cars... the problem appears to exist because there is no animation for the doors being open (there are no doors).. as opius stated, its best to use the SCM opcode to the thing to work.

btw, I don't think its fair to suggest that we are not open about our information... especially regarding reversing the game...

check out this site which documents many known and unknown SCM opcodes
http://vc-db.webtools4you.net/

you'll notice that a large section of discovered opcodes come from our team.. and well I'm giving you info right now.

Thanks and good luck with your mod,

Kent

trx
  • trx

trx nl

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:56 AM

Mr. SHEEPish,
How dare you attack us, who helped people have a LOT of fun playing the game. You seem to forget the MTA project was started by people who may not be as an accomplished hacker as you are, but most certainly motivated to help other people. -It's why the mod became a succes, we wanted people to enjoy a nice game in multiplayer. Regardless of how it was put together. Your putting down MTA and our team like this was totally uncalled for, and was painful to read. You say you share your findings about the game, unlike we do. Now, WHY does that make us bad people again? Just visiting these boards DOESN'T mean we are OBLIGED to help the retarded f*cks who just want to mess things up for us. (Yes, there are plenty of those on these boards)

You sir, are an idiot with too much time on his hands.

Kryptos
  • Kryptos

Hacker

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Cray)
I don't want to clutter up this post with are wars...

Nothing more in regards to that.

On a side note, ironic since this is on topic, thanks for the opcode Opius, I'm not much of an SCM coder so I was unaware that even existed. Also, thanks for you animation note Kent.

trx
  • trx

trx nl

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:40 AM Edited by trx, 06 September 2004 - 07:43 AM.

QUOTE (Kryptos @ Sep 6 2004, 07:17)
QUOTE (Cray)
I don't want to clutter up this post with are wars...

Nothing more in regards to that.

He had it coming... devil.gif

Uh, yeah. If you use your actor to ride in RcVehicles, create code that puts/removes your actor in/from the vehicle and lock doors from outside AND inside... sly.gif

QUOTE (Opius)
"put_player_in_rc_mode" opcode. (0x046E)

Make sure your player is in a car when you do this, otherwise you need to fiddle with current_controlset.

[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:22 AM

hmm.. it seems you MTA guys have a lot of built up anger and aggression.. but ill always take time to reply to any post directed at me in a sensible manner..

Opius.. hehe.. i would never have thought you could get in an RC vehicle let alone there being an opcode to get into one.. its a great find.. nice work..

kent.. you will notice that at the end of my post that seems to have caused offence.. there was an apology to anyone in the team that didnt act like a Jesus christ clone.. and in actual fact the only members ive seen with this severe affliction are cray and blockhead_1999(which i assume is his date of birth).. so once again.. i apologize to you.. and anyone like you in your team..and it sure is nice to see you being open about information.. but.. if you look to your left.. you will notice 3 little stars under my name.. before i posted my first post and insult.. i knew 1 person in the community.. if MTA were the fun loving.. information sharing junkies you want me to believe.. do you really think i would have those stars?? or do you think there would be a flood of regular users on this thread trying to either A) get me banned for being a big old meanie to the really helpful MTA lovies!! who have given us SO MUCH!!! INFO!!! or B) At the very least a cascade of f*ck YOU's.. the only adverse posts ive seen on here are by MTA themselves.. either these boards are frequented by people with no hands.. or everyone agrees with EXACTLY what i said.. of course the stars could have been put there by anyone that didnt like MTA.. but the lack of posts backing you people up kinda tells a story all of its own..

kryptos.. tnx smile.gif

MORE INFO!!

ill be releasing the source code for the arbitrary opcode executor later today or tomorrow.. its written in asm.. but very documented and has a small covering document aswell.. you shouldnt have too much trouble getting it to work.

the source code has the bonus of being very small.. so there isnt much to get lost in.. i have faith in your abilities my friends..

Kent767
  • Kent767

MTA Developer

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:32 AM Edited by Kent767, 06 September 2004 - 08:35 AM.

I honestly don't frequent these forums very often, and I hardly consider these the only source of knowledge for modding MTA... maybe you should read some of trx's past posts he's helped a lot of people and is very respected on these forums for his scm work... anyways insults directed towards any other member of my team are still something I take a bit personally, but I wont start a flamewar about that... But for us, the MTA community is larger than the number of people asking how to reverse code, and though you may not want to admit it, it is a fact that the same knowledge we use to control the game at the level we do, would give cheaters methods to ruin gameplay for the thousands of people who play the mod.

**EDIT**
p.s.
regardless of any statements you ahve against how helpful we are, you cannot deny the help we have given to the SCM opcode database.. which is at the core of mission coding for GTA games.
**/EDIT**

Thanks

Kent

[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:50 AM

As you know im very new here.. and as such i cant comment on the rest of the community.. from what i understood this forum was the HUB of the community.. so any behavior displayed here i assumed was mirrored elsewhere.. so.. if it turns out that you guys have been helping out everywhere in the community except here.. then i retract all statements..

if you need any proof about where my lack of confidence about the knowledge sharing scheme MTA have adopted then just read the 20 odd pages in the DELFI post about memory addresses.

pertaining to the cheat advantage any information would give a person.. i did already point out that it wouldnt take any less than a squirrel with a screwdriver to cheat in MTA in its current state.. i dont think they would get THAT much more advantage than the lack of protection you already employ..

But.. i dont want to keep this going.. if the team is made of people like yourself then perhaps ive made an error.. and for such.. im sorry.

Kent767
  • Kent767

MTA Developer

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:09 AM Edited by Kent767, 06 September 2004 - 09:34 AM.

I guess I can at least live with that, however it does bother me when you went on your rant about us not helping, directly AFTER cray offered you any guidance you may need... that just seems a bit contradictory...

Anyways, best of luck, I hope we can at least live in a state where we get along, great work so far, there is a long long road ahead of you but I'm sure you already know that haha... just don't get discouraged, you'll find that R* coded some things in a way that is not very conducive to multi play, but half the fun is figuring it all out :-p

**EDIT** //sorry I have a knack for getting thoughts after I post
After reading through those posts in the memory addresses thread, I can see where you got that impression, however by the 2nd and 3rd page I was already able to spot several instances where the team has contributed in discussing methods of doing things in the scm. I guess thats a moot point by now, anyways sorry if we got off on the wrong foot.
**/EDIT**
Kent

[sheep]
  • [sheep]

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:40 AM

all is good with me and you my friend..

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:51 AM

Great work guys, this project has a huge potential. I wish we had more geniuses like you in the community...

trx
  • trx

trx nl

• Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:56 AM

Right, well I'm usually a nice guy too smile.gif
But you [sheep] stepped on 'my' baby. How would you feel, huh?
I'm willing to let it go, though. I should have known better than to get provoked like that.
Anyway, I respect what you and spooky are doing, and it's way out of my league, but that's no reason to piss on me.

I hope your research will benefit the GTA community in the end, so keep it up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users