Photo

The train

314 replies to this topic
CubanJetMaX
  • CubanJetMaX

^Made by ME!^

• Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:41 PM

Does the train use the same sort of texture files as in GTA3? If so, i have a set of alternats train colours. They are untested as i am lending my copy of GTA3 to someone else...

BTW, Soz if this is bumping... Still getting used to not doing that... sigh.gif suicidal.gif

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:45 PM

If you want to creat an unofficial mod with them, then by all means do and post them in the unofficial mods topic, but as this is a direct port, the official version will use the originals.

CubanJetMaX
  • CubanJetMaX

^Made by ME!^

• Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:12 PM

Ok, Will do. I just wondered if the train you were using uses the same sort of textures as the train in GTA3, because if it did, i thought you might have wanted to give my textures a try.

grovespaz
  • grovespaz

Group: Morons

• Members

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (aad @ Mar 8 2005, 19:51)
If you remember the airtrains that were in gta3 those have colfiles but are to big for the game to reconize you can just drive/fly trough them and thats the same with the train so thats why you can sometimes go trough it will reduce it size to the max amount that the game can take for a colfile maybe its better to remake a colfile with less polies and less faces so it maybe will work.

Damn, ever try to use more dots?

Anyway, whats up with the train now?
Anyone still working on it?

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:16 AM

Patrick is still doing the train coding, but I think that is more or less done. There is still a problem with the collision which is being looked into intermittently, but it is a complete mystery as to why it doesn't work.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

The last time I spoke to Patrick about the train, he said that the code was most likely fine, but there were issues with the model (both in placement and collision). Nothing will be done with the code until all of those issues are resolved. Mark was working on the trains before, but I don't remember if he was able to fix those issues. If anybody is willing and able to help in this area, we'd appreciate it.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:18 PM

No Haven't and have tried something happened between beta v1 and beta v2 and diabled the train I had it fully functional at one point haven't cracked it yet. To be honest I have been really inactive to focus on my studies and work. I got promoted at work to supervisor so I have alot more repsonsibilities and still have a month or so left for school. Since the release of the psp I rarely come to GTAForums anymore. I do not know if I will be back for the LC project anymore but I am not saying goodbye. (meaning I hope to stay around just reallty inactive now)

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:30 AM

No problem Mark. As I've always said this is a project that we're doing for fun. I never want any team members to feel like they are obligated to release their files. Real Life should always come first (one of these days I might get one ph34r.gif ) I publically thank you for everything you did for us. There's only a handful of people who have done more for this mod than you did, Mr. Pagliaro.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Inactive Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

You're indeed right, the code is near to finished, as I far as I'm concerened, It might needs some slight adjustments here in there in positioning, but for that I need working models, and it will only take a minute.

@Mark, I would also like to thank you for all the work you did for the mod, and for working together to get the train back on track especially. It is surely not your fault, because the same trainmodel used to work before... Somewhere between beta1 and beta2, something has mysterious changed.
Anyway, congratz on your promotion, and as Craig said (for him only based on theory) "Real-life always comes first".

I hope that someone is brave enough to pickup this train-collision problem.

chickenplucker
  • chickenplucker

Old school

• Members

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:53 PM

My computers in a million parts right now, but I'd like to give this a shot. What exactly is wrong with the collision? Is it not solid, off on an axis, missing col sphears, or somthing else?

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Inactive Staff
  • Netherlands
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

The problem with the train-model is that is is not solid. The colfile looks ok, but ingame, the player can just walk though the train. Also there's a little offset problem with the subway model, but that should be easy to fix, once the non-solid COL problem is solved.
It would be great if you could have a look at it. If you need any additional info or special scripting, just say so...

chickenplucker
  • chickenplucker

Old school

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:34 PM Edited by chickenplucker, 10 April 2005 - 08:38 PM.

Hey Patrick and Craig,
Fixed it! biggrin.gif
I started by making another col for the train with less polys, tryed that out and it still didn't work. So I added a bunch of collision shpere's to help it out, still no luck. So I dug throught the img and you know what I found? Another col file called train.col. Once that was deleted it worked like a charm. The train is solid now to the player, the player in a car, but not solid if you leave your car on the tracks. I still haven't figured that one out yet.
And I haven't fixed the subway offset, but I'll work on that now.

If you guys want the file just email me at
[email protected]
I should have the subway fixed by the time you email me.

Oh, and I'd just like to thank you guys and everyone else who has worked on this mod. It really looks good and I can tell everyone put a ton of work into it. Thanks for letting me help the project along.

EDIT,
Never mind about my col. file. If you want to use it thats fine, but I don't think it makes any differance. Just delete the file in the img.
A few problems I found,
If you hit the train to hard in a car it might cause the game to lock up.
If you hit the train (seems random) the train will "break" apart. It will start shutterin up and down like a flicker with the body and doors going all over the place.
Sometimes after hitting it it will lock up in one spot on the tracks and do the shutter thing.
Also when you hit it some times it will send you kartwheeling across the map on fire.
Funky stuff.

I would also fix the subway offset, but for some reason the train isn't there in my game.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Hey, thats great work, I can't believe the problem was so simple!

Alot of those problems were there either originally in LC of GTA 3, I doubt its to do with your collision fix - I'm sure this will be put in a release pretty quickly.

Again, great work.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:04 PM

That's great news! So now the next full release I have will not have any col files in the image. Excellent work.

By the way, last night I had a dream that I was cleaning up the image file for a release. But when I sorted it in order of extensions, I saw that there were dozens of my personal files (including some email files) inside the image. I used to dream about pretty girls, not I'm dreaming about video game code. What has my life come to? suicidal.gif

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 10 2005, 22:04)
That's great news! So now the next full release I have will not have any col files in the image. Excellent work.

By the way, last night I had a dream that I was cleaning up the image file for a release. But when I sorted it in order of extensions, I saw that there were dozens of my personal files (including some email files) inside the image. I used to dream about pretty girls, not I'm dreaming about video game code. What has my life come to? suicidal.gif

Err, are you REALLY sure you want to share that with the world lol?

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:56 PM

Wow so simple to fix thanks. Funny how I never thought of that being the reason after numerous uses of simple cols etc. The subway should hve been solid though from what you are saying but I never made it to the subway as it kept locking up. Thanks again great work now that this is unstumped maybe I'll get back into this project. I can start by reworking the offset on the subway.

A key is stuck sorry.

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:20 AM

A lot of solutions to LC problems are very simple (see BAIT for another example), that's why they are so hard to find. Great detective work, chickenplucker!

chickenplucker
  • chickenplucker

Old school

• Members

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:39 AM Edited by chickenplucker, 11 April 2005 - 03:42 AM.

Thanks guys,
I love/hate simple stuff like that. biggrin.gif It just depends on what side of the problem your on lol. Glad to help out.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Inactive Staff
  • Netherlands
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

Great find chickenplucker, some solutions are soooo simple. have a bunch of cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif .
All it takes is someone with a fresh look smile.gif

The problems with with collisions between the train and speeding cars have been reported before, and most of those have been solved. I'll look into them again, now the train is back to solid.

Concerning collisions between player (in or out of car) and train: There is special code in the scm that kills the player in such a case, as he doesn't die from the collision itself. I haven't tested collisions between the train and a empty car, but I don't think there is much I can do about it in SCM, without a lot of extra code, but if it is the general opinion that that should also work correctly, I may also look into that.

Again, great find....

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:59 PM

I don't know if the train code should instantly kill the player. Maybe you could fetch the health of the player (or car) and subtract 500 points (full health is 1000). That way, if the player's at full strength it won't kill him. And the car may not start on fire immediately. A lot of the fun of the train in GTA3 was crashing into it.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:39 PM

Are you sure some of the issues with vehicle and train collisions isn't because of object.dat? Do you think making the train objects heavier would fix some of these problems?

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Inactive Staff
  • Netherlands
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:33 AM Edited by PatrickW, 13 April 2005 - 01:36 AM.

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 12 2005, 20:59)
I don't know if the train code should instantly kill the player. Maybe you could fetch the health of the player (or car) and subtract 500 points (full health is 1000). That way, if the player's at full strength it won't kill him. And the car may not start on fire immediately. A lot of the fun of the train in GTA3 was crashing into it.

One of the reasons I decided to let a collision kill the player instantly, and set the car on fire right away, was to prevent the ill effects of a collision, as they were described by chickenplucker.
The solution is to destroy the train completely upon collision ( after a time-out), and restart the whole thing. If this is not done, the train ends up jumping all over the place, for some *(yet) unknown reason.

I'm not sure what the solution is for the collision between an empty car and the train, it is surely not acceptable to kill the player in such a case. maybe I should hold the train, and only restart the thing when the player has moved away.

This still leaves the tricky part to detect the collision between them in the first place.

Ain't puzzles great biggrin.gif

QUOTE (opius)
Are you sure some of the issues with vehicle and train collisions isn't because of object.dat? Do you think making the train objects heavier would fix some of these problems?

I believe we tried that, but I'm not completely sure.... at least worth another test.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:54 AM

I tried editing the object.dat seems to take very little effect.

poohead
  • poohead

the gran poo-bah

• Members

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:08 PM

sorry for the bump but how do i put the subway bak on tracks, its a bit off.

Choofy
  • Choofy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:27 AM Edited by Choofy, 11 December 2005 - 02:32 AM.

This will get the subway train running good again, and allow you to get off and on at all stops without him getting stuck and having to restart the game. At the moment the camera is set to look outside the train, so you do occasionaly see the front of the train slightly dipping into the subway barrier. To test this out you will need to use this spath1.dat spath1.dat
Back up your old spath1.dat found in data/paths/folder and replace with the one above. Now open the Main.cm.txt and search for 'BEGIN TRAIN/SUBWAY CODE' underneath it we shall find '; Determine coords of stations' and listed below the heading these lines.

049F: set_scripted_file $WANDERER3 distance_along_path_to 1380.0

049F: set_scripted_file $WANDERER3 distance_along_path_to 2324.0

049F: set_scripted_file $WANDERER3 distance_along_path_to 3974.0

and not so far below it under the ':SUBWAY_CLOSED'these lines

0009: $SUBWAY_TOGO += 1380.0 ;; floating-point values

0009: $SUBWAY_TOGO += 2324.0 ;; floating-point values

0009: $SUBWAY_TOGO += 3974.0 ;; floating-point values

Double check to make sure you are in the subway code section, Not the ':TRAIN_THREAD' below it
Change both the '1380.0' used in the 2 lines with '1387.0' and do the same with the following
2333.0 replaces 2324.0
3989.0 replaces 3974.0

Recompile, and go try them out smile.gif

The spath1.dat will get the train running on the track(well at most times tounge2.gif ) and the number changes in the scm to get the train stopping at the station in roughly the right spot.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Choofy. Excellent work again! GTA_Thomas will be very happy to read this. Keep up the good work.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:38 AM

The subway now works great with that fix. Thanks again Choofy.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:45 PM

Bloody hell, you can model, do far more work in a day than I can in a week AND you can code to a level where you understand wanderer OpCodes, which are not easy or basic, well done.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro modding.

• Feroci Racing
  • Mars

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (PatrickW @ Aug 23 2004, 15:23)
Is the GTA3 trainmodel converted yet ?

I've been experimenting with getting an object to ride the tracks,
And i've been able to send it around without backing in the curves, with just a minimum amount of code ( 5 or 6 lines).

I'm using the Cortez-ship path fromvc ( spath0.dat ), to send the object around.

At the moment I'm using a waterjump as a train-car, it's a wierd sight but you can easily get on it, and take a ride around.

It's just making a single tour yet, but simple scm-coding will be able to fix that.
Also making the train (multiple cars) stop at the stations for a certain time should not take too much coding.

What I need to do further testing:
- model of a train car (with col) that can be entered from the side.
- detailed description of the behaviour of the train in GTA3, as I haven't played it myself...

I would be interested in how you got the train to work on the VC engine.

Would it be possible for us to borrow this code?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:57 PM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 08 February 2006 - 07:59 PM.

The train code is easily found in the main.scm.txt which you can find here. And you may use it for your mod. PatrickW wrote that specific code, so giving him credit would be nice. And Mark Pagliaro did the train models.

But if your mod is for San Andreas, you may want to find out how that engine used the trains. Our code is more of a workaround. That data is hardcoded into the SA engine, so you should use that if you can find out how.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users