Photo

The train

314 replies to this topic
Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:30 AM

Man, that is the single most beautiful piece of code I have ever seen Patrick. Great work on destroying the wanderers and recreating to let the doors move.

Can't wait for a release.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

thanx opius, I value your opinion highly.

I'm very happy with it myself.
The main difficulty was that the wanderers must be positioned using a position along the path. But the old position can only be sniffed by xyz position of the object. I've solved it by:
• Initialy mapping path-positions to xyz positions.
• Using a braking algo that has very little overshoot, while still stopping fast.
• Measuring the overshoot in xyz, and correct the new path position with that value.

This leads to an invissible repositioning of the train at each station

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:13 AM

Problems are occuring with the col file this is why I haven't posted a package yet.

For some reason moving the axis in zmod just would not work so I had to move the whole train which worked however the col file remains the same for the unmoved train causing the train to have an inaccurate col. I'll need to figure out the col to get it working it seems no matter what I do in the col nothing happens. Hopefully RDTG who made the test col mught be able to help. I still am experiencing the black window bug on the train but I have a possible solution in mind.

I was also trying to study the bouy to see if I could copy its lights over to the train.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:52 PM

Hopefully you'll be able to get the col-file correct.. confused.gif

BTW, does GTA3 use the same model for the train and the subway?
Based on the position of the converted paths, it looks like the origin for the subway model will have to be diffrent than the one for the L-track train.

If needed i'll be able to post a scm file that runs the subway-train through the tunnel.

I haven't found a satisfying way of merging both in a single scm, so that'll come later, i'm still figuring out an elegant way to do it.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

If anybody can do it, I'm sure you can. I don't remember if the train and subway were the same model or not. And since that's the case I don't think it matters if we use the L-train model or a new one. Whatever works will be fine.

I've finally gotten the train to show up in my game. I missed a link earlier which had the door files. I have noticed a few crashes though. The one I can think of that always crashes is when I come into contact with the train when I'm in a helicopter. There may be more lockups, but I don't remember what caused them specifically. It's very possible I copied something wrong when I converted it to 0.22. Or would that be caused by a bad col file?

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:17 PM

Ok, we'll see what we use for the subway .....

For the crashes, I haven't had any crashes with the latests code yet, and've been running it a lot. I haven't flown a heli into the train yet, I'll try that later,
And I'll double-check the translated code you posted earlier for typo's..

to be continued

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (PatrickW @ Sep 22 2004, 15:17)
Ok, we'll see what we use for the subway .....

For the crashes, I haven't had any crashes with the latests code yet, and've been running it a lot. I haven't flown a heli into the train yet, I'll try that later,
And I'll double-check the translated code you posted earlier for typo's..

to be continued

Flying helis overtop of the train has been crashing for me since I put the train in the game. I can't remember if it did it with the waterjumps. If it did then we may have a problem.

Train is the same model as the subway train so we shouldn't have to create a new train file.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

I tested it, and the game crashes for me also, when I fly with a heli close above the train. This is one thing that _must_ be solved.

Flying with the heli against the side of the train or the front, is no problem.
Also you can jump on top of a train from the roof of a station, and do some train-surfing, thus the col seems ok.

I'm gonna test it with the waterjumps.

If the train-model is the same we still have the problem of the offset of the train in the subway. We might have to make a new spath1.dat file by hand.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (PatrickW @ Sep 22 2004, 20:34)
I tested it, and the game crashes for me also, when I fly with a heli close above the train. This is one thing that _must_ be solved.

That sounds like its gona be pretty hard to do, unless its something specific in your code thats making it crash that you can change without it messing anything else up. confused.gif

Let me know if I can help in anyway. GTA3 wouldnt be GTA3 without trains, Im willing to help in all ways possible to get em working. smile.gif

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:20 PM Edited by PatrickW, 22 September 2004 - 10:48 PM.

QUOTE (Smithers2 @ Sep 22 2004, 23:46)
QUOTE (PatrickW @ Sep 22 2004, 20:34)
I tested it, and the game crashes for me also, when I fly with a heli close above the  train. This is one thing that _must_ be solved.

That sounds like its gona be pretty hard to do, unless its something specific in your code thats making it crash that you can change without it messing anything else up. confused.gif

Let me know if I can help in anyway. GTA3 wouldnt be GTA3 without trains, Im willing to help in all ways possible to get em working. smile.gif

I'm not yet sure what causes it, but I don't think we'll be able to make the train official without this issue solved.

But I don't think it's an unsolvable problem, because in the VC mission
"all hands on deck", where the boat is moved by the mechanism we use for the train, Heli also fly close above the boat to drop the french agents off......

EDIT: I've tested it with waterjumps instead of the train, and I can't get it to crash.
It seems to be something specific to the train-model, as I've tested it without the doors present, and it crashes still.

to be continued

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:09 AM

Rather then a new spath file I'll just make a new model called strain and strain_dl/dr etc. I like how the spaths are made now. it is the cols I am worried about. I belive they are causing the freezing.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (MarkPagliaro @ Sep 22 2004, 22:09)
it is the cols I am worried about. I belive they are causing the freezing.

That would be my guess as it crashed once when I just touched the train as Fido. Are there any resident col experts hanging around that would be willing to help?

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:09 AM

As a last resort, I've made a thread that creates a localised bounce back barrier similar to the ones at the edge of the gameworld around an object.

Do all of the train objects have an object.dat definition?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:21 AM

I have not modified my object.dat file for the train. That bounce back code may come in handy if we can't fix our col problem though.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

I've done some testing also and it indeed seems to be the col-file that causes the problem. Once I replaced the col-file with a very simple one, the freezing is gone.

My guess is that the problem is in the complexity of the col-file.
It has over 950 vertexes and over 1200 faces. I think we might need to reduce those numbers drasticly. Looking at the colfile, there's certainly room for improvement. We could delete from the col-file:
* Everything below the floor ( wheels/axes)
* the rims along the sides
* the head and tail lights
* Maybe we should build a special simple model, to generate the colfile from instead of from the complex version. It could be as simple as a rectangular box, with just holes where the doors are.

Some col-file expert should have a go at them, or are you able to pull that off also mark??

@Mark:
I agree, that it's better to create extra models for the subway, and keep the converted paths intact.

@Opius:
That's a great idea, incase we can't solve it by simplifying the colfiles,
and yes I've got all models in object.dat . I guess the main reaon for putting them in is to specify the LOD-distance..

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:07 AM

I'll keep trying on the col file. RDTG made the current col file but it just looks like the train model minus the windows exported as .x It definately could be simplified. I just don't know why when I make it I can not enter the doors.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:32 AM Edited by PatrickW, 24 September 2004 - 12:44 AM.

Do you have the mirror-X option selected in COLMAKER ?

If not, the colfile will be mirrored, and the opening of the doors are on the wrong side of the train.

Than there's also the doubling of the number of faces, by COLMAKER, this can be prevented by editing the x-file by hand and removing a certain section. I'll have to look-up the details for that, posted by ST.MU somewhere here....

[edit] It's on his
Website

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:09 AM Edited by MarkPagliaro, 24 September 2004 - 07:53 PM.

I think I may have got the col issue sorted out I made a quick test col that works with my centered train. After work tonight and this weekend I will create a more accurate col. The one I have now also does not freeze with helicopters.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:49 AM Edited by MarkPagliaro, 25 September 2004 - 03:59 AM.

Portland L-Train package for those who wanted one is now available here.

Whats included:
....\models\coll\generic.col [collision files for train]
....\data\paths\spath0.dat [The train path file converted from GTAIII]
....\data\gta3maps\generic.ide [train objects added to file]
....\data\objects.dat [train properties added to file]
....\data\main.scm [enables train in game via script]
train.dff [chassis of the train]
train_dr.dff [rightmost doors]
train_dl.dff [leftmost doors]
train.txd [texture library for all 3 of the above dff files]
L-Train Read Me.txt

The colision file is good except player still slides and may end up stuck in the train. what we need is a code sniplet to make the player frozen to a spot in the train (like gtaIII)

Train Appears to be centered on the tracks. Sorry for the lateness.

Subway package will be basically the same except the names wil be strain....

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:13 PM

I'm having issues with your files Mark. When I play with all of these files added to the image/data folders, I get a crash at address 0040c314 (which loads models) before I ever see the train. And if I use the old train files (the pack that had the TRAIN_DL.txd and TRAIN_DR.txd files) then it will work for me.

I tried this with the door texture files removed from the image and with them still there. I get the crash either way. And it's very consistent.

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:42 PM

Would it help if I gave you the files like I delivered before where each have to be added manually? The cols and everything? I'll backup my LC and trying installing my own download and see if this happens with me too.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:25 PM

Hi guys,

I've been away for the weekend, so a bit late reaction.

Great package, mark...
I don't have a fresh LC backup present, so I haven't use your full package,
but I just replace the txd,dff files in the img and the col file.

the train is now centered on the rails.
My doors are not visible at the moment , but I'll look into that for any problems of my own.
It doesn't crash on me .....

The new colfile does indeed strange things to the player while riding the train.
I kinda liked the possibility to move around in the train, but I guess I have too look into fixating the player during the ride. A simple freeze will not do, but there's an opcode that is use in the original VC mission, that fixates an actor relative to the moving object ( train in this case).

to be continued.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (MarkPagliaro @ Sep 26 2004, 17:42)
Would it help if I gave you the files like I delivered before where each have to be added manually? The cols and everything? I'll backup my LC and trying installing my own download and see if this happens with me too.

I don't think it would hurt.

AdTec_224
  • AdTec_224

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:21 AM Edited by AdTec_224, 28 September 2004 - 09:15 PM.

Mark i need the Portland L-Train package please the link that was posted didn't work and when i clicked save as target it wanted to save it as a html file.

P.S.

Could you send it to me as a zip file thanks.

holdenrulz
  • holdenrulz

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:36 AM

@AdTec_224 your sig is too big

Great work with the train proving that sometimes a new perspective can accoplish new things
I know for a fact you've inspired the Myraid Island team to do a similar thing with trains so great work
and I hope the bugs in it don't cause too much trouble for you

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:59 AM

I hope they do agree with the train in Myriad, inlove.gif
Great work you guys are working your @$$es off on this cookie.gif cookie.gif

And that isnt the guys siq, i checked it

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:27 AM Edited by MarkPagliaro, 27 September 2004 - 01:47 AM.

I'll have to look for a better free site host seems like alot of people have problems with the rar. I'll try with a zip file.

Model Files Only (TXD, DFF, COL)
here as a zip

Also I tried my package over my current install and it works fine I am running of the gamma installer. Try using the files in the package minus the objects.dat file.

QUOTE (Patrick W)
Hi guys,

I kinda liked the possibility to move around in the train, but I guess I have too look into fixating the player during the ride. A simple freeze will not do, but there's an opcode that is use in the original VC mission, that fixates an actor relative to the moving object ( train in this case).

to be continued.

Oh I will make an unofficial col for that but I still get kick from the train sometimes with RDTG's col files used on the off-centered train.
Hopefully we could get peds boarding unofficially too.

GTAIII's didn't.

AdTec_224
  • AdTec_224

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:11 AM Edited by AdTec_224, 28 September 2004 - 09:16 PM.

Thanks Mark the link now works.

But i still need the generic.ide objects.dat files

P.S.

Could you send me your paths0.dat file as well please

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (AdTec_224 @ Sep 27 2004, 04:11)
Thanks Mark the link now works.

But i still need the generic.ide objects.dat files

P.S.

Could you send me your paths0.dat file as well please

--------------------
user posted image

Here is the same file as the first package as a zip file

And for craig I am not sure why the files are not working for you as they seem to work for myself and patrick although he stated he didn't use all the files. We would need to trace everything installed since gamma but I believe you tried it on gamma aswell.

brendan62
  • brendan62

old fart

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:42 PM

since installing the train package which didnt work with object data changed the game starts up ok but freezes after game save i also have flashing textures, i have also yet to see a train on either track, when i replace the original files back all these problems cease. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users