Photo

PASSING THE TORCH

37 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:58 AM

It is no secret that I have not been very active on the LC scene. The reasons are numerous and relatively unimportant. Meanwhile, CraigKostelecky has done more than his share in taking up the slack, pushing the mod further, and generally running the place. So after much deliberation, I would like to announce that Craig is now the official leader of GTA:LC.

For anybody even remotely panicking, relax. Not much is going to change at all. I will still be around to do what I can and I'm sure Craig will be every bit as helpful and supportive as he's always been. He's just really done a lot for this effort while I myself really haven't for some time now. I just wanted to be able to recognize him for his efforts and let everybody know.

Now get back to work everybody! tounge.gif Oh wait, I'm not the boss anymore cryani.gif lol.gif

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:22 AM

Best of luck, Craig (:

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:23 AM

Get back to work everybody! wink.gif

I'd like to publically state that this project would be nowhere without Demarest's involvement. Even though he'll disagree, nobody (except maybe Skidz) has been more valueable to this team than Demarest. It's his vision we are all following. And I hope someday he regains his passion for the mod.

Monitor57
  • Monitor57

LC - II Designer

• Members

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:39 AM

its a shame dem u cant be the leader no more, but we will see what Craig makes of this promotion... biggrin.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:49 AM

Great, the pressure's already on. nervous.gif
To be honest, I've been running things for the past few weeks now. I just preferred to have Demarest keep the title. I'm a little more comfortable with it now though. So you guys really won't notice much difference. I'm guessing my PM inbox will get a little heavier though.

Knaxia
  • Knaxia

ex-GTA:LC co-leader (sounds lame now)

• Members

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:00 PM Edited by Knux, 14 July 2004 - 03:14 PM.

It's a bit like me, I'm not very active at all, in fact, I didn't even player GTA:LC for months.... I can't be co-loeader anymore too, just like Demarest . We were the 2 starters, we did what we had to did, it's to everyone else to continue the mod. I'm going here sometime and I saw that there is some big progresses being done such as missions, peds models and so. I might still come around too, just to look at the progress made. I was first no really sure to quit since I like the fact to be the co-leader of a huge mod but if I do nothing, it's worthless.

On my side, I'm working for the GoldenEye mod for UT2004 (www.goldeneye.downclan.com) and I'm beta testing mutliple Gamecube emulators so most of my time goes there now. I have no more interest / time for GTA modding....

So I say to you guys good luck with the mod, don't let it die, and Demarest, it has been a HUGE pleasure to work with you, I hope we'll talk or work on something again later (GTA:VC/LC mod for GTA:SA? tounge.gif ). This was also a big pleasure to work with every other guys that worked/are still working on the mod, Killer.ip, Craig, CrazyDude, ModelingMan, Skidz, ect. ( I forgot a lot tounge.gif )

Knux smile.gif

Mark Pagliaro
  • Mark Pagliaro

Minutes To Midnight

• Members

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:25 AM

Sad to see us all go myself included. I have nothing to put forward to this mod at this stage especially with all my cpu problems lately. My activity died along time ago I'd say closer to being after knux'x departure who left with periodic comebacks back when it was a single thread. Killer.ip was who really kept me in this mod not directly but I just have not been as interested in it since his departure. I enjoyed working along side with him. I however have been keeping up to date with this mod ,making sure to drop by. I really like how the mission thread is progressing however I am going to wait for a big update before I get into really playing this mod. I also stated I'd pass down the ped thread (2) to ModelingMan of whom I recommend to be the next led-by. Although I do not see him around lately too. All I have to say to Demarest is good call on giving Craig the led-by back then.

Craig keep up the work.

Summer Break = Social/Working time. I hope I'll make a return around school starting. 1 year left of college and I am out in the real world.

Damn San Andreas is nearing so I guess this is goodbye although I never like goodbyes. Heck I rarely contributed to this anyways but it was fun for what I did.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:42 AM

Lately I've been trying to widen my programming knowledge, that's one of the reasons why I haven't been active all that much. Hopefully some time soon I'll get back into rigging peds, I was hoping that there'd be volunteers to help after I wrote my tutorial but oh well.

Anyway congrats to Craig for becoming the new GTA:LC leader, he is doing an excellent job at running the LC forum.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for the kind words Mark and James. It seems like a lot of people have lost interest in this mod since killer.ip left. I hope that trend reverse and more people help out. This is damn hard to do when there's not good help around. And the team we had was one of the best I can imagine. Hopefully, more people will get interested and help us out.

And if I ever decide to appoint a new LED-by, ModelingMan would be right at the top of a very short list.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

I'd like to publically announce that ModelingMan is now a led by of this forum. He'll have the same powers as me so he can lock out of hand topics, or merge two similar topics together. With my work schedule getting a little heavier, I thought I could use an extra hand. And I couldn't think of a better guy than James.

So welcome aboard. And don't be afraid to PM me if you have any questions.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

You made the correct choice, MM has become a necessity to the future development of the modification.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Craig and GT-1, I will try my best to do as Craig has done, although that will take a while.

Thank you for this opportunity and I guarantee you have not made a mistake wink.gif .

U Money $$$$
  • U Money $$$$

GEMM beta tester,

• Members

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

Cool. I think he deseres it to, hes helpful and yada yada yada. wink.gif
Good luck keeping the forum clean.

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Indeed, congrats. Any problems just thow me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

Welcome ModelingMan. If your moderating parallels your modding efforts, I'm sure we have NOTHING to worry about. If you have any questions, you're in good hands. Craig has kicked ass from the start. My PM box is always open as well. I apologize that your rise to led-by took as long as it did. I assure you it was out of my hands almost as soon as the request was made.

Demarest takes a moment of silence in loving memory of killer.ip

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Aug 24 2004, 15:40)
Demarest takes a moment of silence in loving memory of killer.ip

Agreed, it's a shame he isn't active these days to see his efforts continue to be appreciated.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:04 PM

Congrats Modeling Man, have fun smile.gif

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:53 PM

Youre about a month late at least, but still, this forum needs keeping alive nowadays cryani.gif .

I hadnt even realised MM was a forum led-by until about a week ago, so thats how blind I am, anyways, err... well done modelingman, do something and keep this place alive. smile.gif

U Money $$$$
  • U Money $$$$

GEMM beta tester,

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:02 PM

True. This forum has died sad.gif

TwoZero
  • TwoZero

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:10 PM

Well I just realized it, thanks for the bump vALKYR tounge2.gif

Congrats MM, well deserved smile.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Smithers2 @ Sep 18 2004, 15:53)
but still, this forum needs keeping alive nowadays cryani.gif .

True. This forum has died sad.gif

That's about to change. Things are starting to go very well for me personally and after tonight, I'm finished with the other computer project I've been working on. So I'm going to be hitting the code with a vengeance really soon. Hopefully we can get the next beta out before SA hits the stores.

Thanks to those that stuck around during the last several weeks. Things will pick up very soon.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:53 PM

The only thing active now is the train topic, and that's progressing slowly.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:11 AM

As many of you probably noticed, my work with the LC mod has dropped to nearly zero in the last half year or so. Ben has been picking up my slack. In fact he's basically taken over all of the responsibilities of the Team Leader. So I shall formally offer the throne to him.

Even though I am stepping down as the leader, I don't plan on taking off. I will still be around to offer advice, remind others of what was done many years ago, and if I ever get motivated again, maybe even work on some files (that's a big if though). Since getting a full time computer job, it just isn't that much fun to spend another 5 hours a day trying to fix coding issues. It's much more fun to just play the games.

Ben has been doing a good job with the administration aspects of the mod. But he's still learning on ways to become a better modder, but he is not good at scm coding (which is what I did mostly). So if there are any scm coders out there, please help us out and fix the bugs that I either could not fix or did not have the drive to take care of. Other than that, I feel completely comfortable letting Ben take over (officially).

This mod will be finished one day. We've brought it too far to just let it die. And the great thing about this mod is no one person is too important. Many thought we would stop after PineCreek Skidz and killer.ip left or when Demarest stepped down. But the mod kept going because other people stepped up. Before I started getting involved in this mod, I barely knew how to insert other people's code into the original scm. If you want to learn more about the GTA games and how they work, this is an amazing way to learn. If you're willing to learn, there's many people still around (including me) who will help you with what you need to know.

Good luck, Ben. Hit me up on ICQ if you have any questions. Even if I'm not online, I'll see your message when I do get by my computer.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

Thanks Craig smile.gif . There's no doubt you've brought this mod a VERY VERY LONG way since stepping up to the helm. As you said, I'm better with the administrative side as opposed to the actual physical modding, although my modding skills have developed a bit from when I first became involved with LC (at which time I couldn't mod AT ALL).

You'll definitely be a big loss, so I'll be doing some looking around to see if I can find a coder to replace you, but that'll be difficult. I need to do some recruiting for a couple of other aspects of the mod as well, actually.

Anyways, although this is only really a formality, it's still a pretty big step. As I told you over ICQ yesterday, I'll probably still ask for your advice/opinions on certain things until I feel completely comfortable that I'm on the right track to making the sort of mod Skidz, killer, Dem and you envisioned. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new major release out sometime over the next month or two (depending on what work people are doing atm).

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Sorry to see you go Craig, although I remember you considering it when I was still really around so it's not a huge shock, but you will be missed and you have been an awesome leader, easilly worthy of those before you IMHO.

Ben, those are some mighty big shoes to fill! I'm sure you'll do fine though, good luck with it. If you ever have any coding questions/problems give me a call (I don't tend to go on MSN/ICQ/AIM/YIM anymore but if you get on IRC leave a message in #Y_Less and I should get it), if I know of stuff to do I'll do it for you if I can smile.gif .

But yeah, I can't really think of anyone who would stand anywhere near as much of a chance at doing anywhere near the job Craig, Dem and Knux did as you. Well done mate.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Well, where to begin? It seems I've been struck down with the same disease that plagued Craig towards the end of his reign as LC leader - a very nasty and almost incurable condition known as Real Life™. Unfortunately, along with my uni work (which has eaten into the amount of time I can dedicate to working on LC), various other commitments have arisen which will prevent me from dedicating to LC the time it needs/deserves - I feel that if I stay on as leader, I'll only be holding the project back. As such, I've decided to step down as both leader and led-by of the forum.

It hasn't been an easy decision - GTAF has become an integral part of my life, with me visiting here almost every day for over two years. I've met lots of interesting people, made various online friends from around the world, and come from knowing absolutely nothing about modding to being able to write a guide to help introduce others to it.

There's too many people that deserve my thanks/respect to list here - besides, you all know who you are anyway. There's also those of you who'll consider me a traitor for leaving...
Ben looks at Craig. And Y_Less. And Konstantinos.

tounge.gif

I think it's ironic that I hassled you three for leaving, and now I'm doing the same. Real Life™, it seems, is not without a sense of humour.

Anyways, I'd also like to take this opportunity to congratulate SteaVor on his promotion to LC team leader. After careful consideration, I chose him, and I'm sure that everyone will agree he is very deserving of it, especially given his contributions over the past few months. As I said to him, I've tried to steer the project towards the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, and although I would've liked to take it there, that's just not possible for me anymore - I've left the hard work in his capable hands.

In saying this though, I'm not leaving GTAF entirely - I'll still pop in once a week or so to keep track on progress and make sure you kids are behaving yourselves tounge.gif . But this is basically the end of the road for me with regards to LC. I do look forward to playing it when it's reached it's final stage though - SteaVor, I hope you can take it there. All the best mate - if you have any questions or problems or anything, feel free to PM me and I'll try and help you out. I'm sure Craig will be willing to support you as well.

smile.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

I never thought I'd see this happen, but it seems that 'Team Leaders' are especially prone to this ominous RealLife thingy... wink.gif

Ben,
I'm certain the mod wouldn't be anywhere near its current state if you hadn't been keeping track of absolutely everything, initiating polls, setting up the omnipresent checklist, the extensive modding guide, and generally keeping the mod on track.
I can't thank you enough for all the time you've spent on organizing the mod and providing support whenever someone got stuck somewhere - you've really set up a strong foundation that I don't intend to change at all because it's just perfect and has helped so much in the past.

I'm really glad I can help out on the organizational level as I can't really help out with modding any longer. I'll try my best to live up to expectations and I guess you'll help me getting there, consciously when I'm talking to you about things I don't understand or that I am not sure of, and unconsciously when I'm utilizing the structures that you've provided.

Thank you very very very much for everything and all the best for the future, and don't forget to stop by once in a while.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Damn Ben. Didn't you get the memo that real life had to take a back seat for at least a year before giving up the mod? tounge.gif Out of every project leader, Ben (who's no longer a Blink182 fan) has done the best job in
organizing the forum and creating guides to help others along the way. His contributions will continue to help the mod for a long time.

The position of Liberty City's "Team Leader" can be as much or as little work as the leader chooses. Unfortunately, the progress of the mod is almost directly related to the effort that the leader gives. When I was really spending a lot of time working on this project, it inspired others to do the same. I eventually reached a point where my effort no longer helped. I just didn't know what else to do. And then my priorities greatly shifted. I'm no longer on my computer during every moment of my free time. Hell, I'm barely on it at all anymore. So my participation is next to impossible.

Good luck SteaVor. I've seen a lot of really nice contributions from you. Feel free to send a message my way if you need some advice. That's about all I have left to offer.

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Aug 12 2007, 17:25)
Ben (who's no longer a Blink182 fan)

I heard otherwise. mercie_blink.gif

btw: Ben's first post - I successfully remembered where to find it.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:23 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 13 August 2007 - 12:52 PM.

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Aug 12 2007, 20:59)
QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Aug 12 2007, 17:25)
Ben (who's no longer a Blink182 fan)

I heard otherwise. mercie_blink.gif

btw: Ben's first post - I successfully remembered where to find it.

Hey, my first post was only two months after Ben's. How come he has 3 more stars than me? lol.gif
And yes, AFAIK he's still a fan of that (now defunct) sappy pop-punk band (lol, now he's gonna hate me tounge.gif )

It's certainly fun to read through the posts from those good ol' n00b days. I remember asking Craig once how to use DFF and TXD files. smile.gif Also, check out Craig's bold prediction in the post under Ben's. More like GTAIV, if we are lucky.

@Ben: Payback, traitor! tounge.gif
Nah, I completely understand your reasons, and wish you all the best. You've done a great job as the team leader. It's been an honor serving under you, sir. smile.gif

@SteaVor: I don't envy you inheriting leadership in this situation. There isn't much to lead now in the first place. But, seeing how capable you are, I'm sure you can handle everything by yourself, with the exception of modeling and exe hacking. And with contributions from ModelingMan and AK-73, I can actually see LC nearing completion (although I wish I had an Euro every time I say that).

Viel Glück, Kumpel! icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users