Photo

i have played the game that started it all

60 replies to this topic
Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:22 PM

well i got to play gta and gta london:1969 and they suck bad. the controls suck the graphics suck (well it wasn't really it's fault it was on the ps1) the music is bad and well i just don't really like it. Maybe it's because i played gtaIII and vice before or it's just because they suck...hard, oh well it doesn't matter, im returning them to the video store and won't be renting them again, or will i buy them, ever. confused.gif

Sillyhed2000
  • Sillyhed2000

Every time you try to small-talk me on MSN I will kill a puppy.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:31 AM Edited by Sillyhed2000, 29 June 2004 - 05:33 AM.

QUOTE (groovyman3000)
im returning them to the video store and won't be renting them again, or will i buy them, ever.

Why would you buy it when GTA1 is a free download from Rockstars website? tounge.gif

What you must understand is that it was revolutionary in it's day. No other game had given them such freedom or fun and the mix of driving and shooting as brilliantly as the first GTA - that's why it was so immensly popular.

The graphics weren't that bad (really - they got the job done), the controls were practically perfect and as for music - well, my computer doesnt favour the music too much, as i just get bursts of static.

The reason why I don't play it too much is the two biggest flaws - lack of save points, and the extreme difficulty of the game. Nevertheless, I still played it a fair bit when it was put up for download, as it was interesting to see how it started.

Come on - surely you weren't expecting a game to rival GTA3? dontgetit.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:31 AM

If you are used to the immersion of 32-bit textured, polgonised 3D cities like GTA3 then the earlier editions will feel rather remote to the senses. What makes them such brilliant games is the immersion offered by the completeness of the city from the highway signs to back alleys to potted trees there is a great deal of entertainment to be had just thrashing the wild handling around the environments.

The yelps of pedestrians, the wail of police sirens, the chatter of machine guns and the clatter of a police road block as you blast through it at 200km/h...those games do NOT suck.

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Sillyhed2000 @ Jun 29 2004, 05:31)
Why would you buy it when GTA1 is a free download from Rockstars website? tounge.gif

i couldn't get the download to work so i gave up and rented it.

Moto
  • Moto

Frat.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (groovyman3000 @ Jun 28 2004, 16:22)
well it wasn't really it's fault it was on the ps1

You DO realize it was a PC game long before it was ever ported to any other system, don't you?

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:01 AM

no, i cant say i knew that information.

stealthsniper
  • stealthsniper

24: Vice City Is Here Early! Go Read Episode 3!

• Members

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

You didn't know that?! Well, yeah. GTA was born on the computer, which is why it kinda sucks that PC users are forced to wait several months until the PS2 contract is up till they get a copy of the latest GTA.

Lloyd Banks
  • Lloyd Banks

[SOL] Prospect

• Members

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:57 PM

To be honest, I don't think GTA1 is that bad.

The first GTA game that I ever played, that I know of, was GTA3. I liked it a lot. I liked stealing cars, the weapons, missions, everything. Then I placed VC, and I didn't like it that much for some reason. Now I like it more than GTA3.

But recently, I had the chance to download GTA1. I downloaded it, and played it. I was told before it was an overhead view, so I expected that. I knew it was first made on computer, so I didn't expect it to be all that good. I also knew it was a pretty old game, so it couldn't be very good with graphics and all of that.

Nonetheless, I liked it. I still like it. I would still play it on a normal basis but my selfish stepbrother deleted it. No big deal. But I think the game's great, besides how quickly the text at the bottom moves. I can never read all of it.

I've never played GTA London, though. Any good?

allwhopasshere
  • allwhopasshere

what is this?

• Members

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:19 PM

i wanna see what londons like.

gta 1 is my fav. two player, diff city to chose from, awsome crap grafics. its the best. i still play it more now then vc.

UnseenThreat
  • UnseenThreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:30 AM

The original GTA is, was, and always will be awesome. I played it when it came out and ever since I've been playing GTA games. To answer any questions about it, GTA London isn't all that great of a game... think of it as a total conversion mod for GTA 1. Same game engine... just different cars, city, missions, and decade. It is a fun game and I do enjoy it... it's just a little too much like GTA 1.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:33 AM

I got GTA1 the second day it was out, when I was a wee'un, and the poster is on my wall smile.gif

Brother Marcus
  • Brother Marcus

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

Wasn't GTA 1 released something like 8 years ago?

People who didn't play the game when it first came out don't realize how great it was. People were saying that the graphics were pretty bad even at that time but the actual game was awesome.

GTA will always be my favourite one out of the series because that's when it was new. No other game was like it. Just the fact you could just rob a car and drive round a city was revolutional.

GTA 3, was the next best thing but when I first played GTA3 it wasn't half as good as first playing GTA. But that's probably because I've grown up maybe.

I played GTA1 about a year ago and it was terrible. It was pretty wierd. But its like playing old classic Nintendo games, they've all crap now. Even playstation games like Resident Evil when that first came out, excellent at the time but now it's pretty crap.

TheJkWhoSaysNi
  • TheJkWhoSaysNi

Goes into lifts and presses all the floors

• Members

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:40 PM

I still play GTA1 from time to time. It's still fun.

One thing that really bugs me though is that it always seems slow (being capped at 24fps) although all the GTA games do this any it annoys me in all of them.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (TheJkWhoSaysNi @ Jul 20 2004, 00:40)
I still play GTA1 from time to time. It's still fun.

One thing that really bugs me though is that it always seems slow (being capped at 24fps) although all the GTA games do this any it annoys me in all of them.

In the later versions of GTA, there is an option in the "Graphics" menu to disable the frame limiter, although it can make replay footage play back at rather a lumpy rate. In GTA1, pressing "F8" during gameplay disabled the frame limiter but this can end up making the game over-speed with hilarious consequences. I've had 60fps out of GTA:VC but as standard the limit is set at 30fps. This is because that's the rate used by the USA style of TV picture - UK uses 25 frames per second with more lines, so you get a crisper image updated less frequently.

El Marko
  • El Marko

Mushroom Cloud Layin Motherf*cker

• Members

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:26 AM

The original GTA in my view, is the best so far. The missions were absolutely the best ever, cos there was so many hidden ones that you might never find. The graphics were done top down intentionally otherwise you would be looking at absolutely sh*t 3d graphics. And as someone said already it was the first game to give you the freedom of just walking around and killing stuff for hours and totally ignoring the missions.

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:02 AM

Well, I'v looked at all of your guys opinions, replayed the game, reread your opinions, and I still think this game is a piece of sh*t. Now, I know it was a gift from god because well, we wouldn't have gta III, vice, or the upcoming san andreas. But I still think it's a sh*tty game.

rosenberg
  • rosenberg

The King of GTA Music

• Members

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

As someone said before here, the only reason you think it's sh*t is because you never had the pleasure of playing the game before all the new games came out.

Ive played all the GTA's in order so for me each GTA was excellent and they just kept on improving, i still have GTA installed on my computer, its fun to play even if it is old because i remember the fun i used to have playing it when it first came out.

Actually, come to think of it, GTA was the first game i ever bought, which means it is the game responsible for my love of games now. I'm forever in R*'s debt! rahkstar2.gif rahkstar2.gif

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:19 AM

I recently bought the double pack which has GTA1 and London in it, and i play them all the time.

Yes, they do probably "suck" because you have been playing GTA3 and VC for so long, but please remember that without these games, these 3d versions would not exist.

I love these two games. Getting on a motorbike and seeing how long you can speed down a road before getting knocked off is fun.

Yeah, the missions are abit repetitive, but there isn't much else you can do from a heli-view now can you?

The map is also huge, and the fact you don't have an in-game one sucks, and it annoys me when there is a timer and i always fail cos i don't know the way!

Overall:-

GTA1:-9/10
London:-7/10

catspider.gif

LC 44
  • LC 44

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:54 PM

I like to play homage to the old GTA games. They're fun, but they are pretty hard. By late October, I'm going to have more GTA games than I can swill:

GTA
GTA London
GTA 2
GTA 3
GTA vc
GTA sa
and if I really feel like buying a gameboy I'll get that one too.

7 years of blowin the sh*t out of people and still goin strong baby!

Walays
  • Walays

Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same... KBYE&a

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:16 PM

Yeah sure the first GTA might suck. But hey, this is the year 2004. You can always get GTA2 and besides GTA1 is now free (unless you don't have Broadband so that'd suck). It's understandable that GTA1 might not be deemed as good as today's standards but it is quite reasonable for the first game.

teknologikalbutterfly
  • teknologikalbutterfly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:09 PM

Frankly I have to agree with alot of the members here. GTA 1 and London really aren't that bad (as games) but they're graphics are a tad on the sucky side, but all in all they DO get the job done.

My first GTA experience was GTAII. I got GTAI and London later on and I've never played any of the PS2 games...I'm dying to though. But all in all those two games really aren't that bad and plus you can't really compare them to the PS2 games anyway...you know?

gta phil gta
  • gta phil gta

BC

• Members

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:14 PM

If you play it after playing the modern GTA's, chances are you won't like it all that much, and will think it sucks. You have to have played it before there was GTA3 and Vice - the immersive world of GTA was amazing back in the day. Countless hours spent doing stuff in that game - you have to have played it lots when it was the only GTA there to truly appreciate what the game was like.

vqcapricedude
  • vqcapricedude

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:32 PM

I love the original GTA I remeber having jsut the demo and modding it as mucha s I could in the late 90's it was awsome, then I still played it cos I had it at school so it was the game of chioce cos I only had a 233 laptop and I just played it and it was awsome to pass the time I shoulda been spending doing school work tounge.gif

but yea, compared to today it's not that good of course, but the gameplaya nd all is awsome. I still play the original NFS cos I think the gameplay is the best out of all of them.

Shoofly
  • Shoofly

Burped

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:23 PM

I used to play it for days and days without a stop. It was a sweet game when it came out, though it isnt anymore.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:03 AM

I remember having the demo that only let you play for 15 minutes, from the first time i played it it was one of the best designed games ever, so fun and adictive. I allways played it when i went to my friends house.

I can kind of see what your getting at, allthough the gta 1 and london are no way a match for gta3, they are still classic and anyone who had the game at that time period respects how great that game was and even though i cant play it for more than 10 minutes now i still think its a great game. Along came gta2 and turned out really good, that game is a huge breakthrough from gta1 and london and i still even play gta2 today.

Davo the Assassin
  • Davo the Assassin

Andolini Mafia Family - Blood is thicker than Water

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

I personally think GTA1 was a great game, sure the graphics sucked, but wahat do u expect, the sheer fun of blowing the crap outta ppl like that was amazing, london, wasn't to great, but GTA2 is attucally the favourite GTA i've ever played, its justt so fun, specially on the PC with all the cheats it cna handle =p

LC 44
  • LC 44

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:27 AM

I first played Gta,and GTA2 in the summer of 2001. I think I bought them about 2 years too late. I didn't really play them, I just raised my wanted level and ran from the police and killed people. It was a good time. I'm playing the levels now, and I'm enjoying myself. I'm frustrated, but its fun. I don't really care about the graphics. I understand why they look that way, and besides it gives them some character.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:02 AM

Probably doesn't help the game's cause that you played the PS1 version. Compared to the on one PC, the console has like a tenth of the cars/peds on-screen, and the whole thing runs at half the speed. PS1 also lacks any sort of ansitropic filtering, which makes all the buildings look wavy and pixelated. I tried it once after playing the PC version, and thought it was utter crap.

Then of course there's the fact they had to take the trains out on the console version. Hijacking one of those and ramming it into another train is hilarious. And, IIRC, the PS1 version was also missing fire trucks and paramedics...

Ozzy Osbourne
  • Ozzy Osbourne

Uncontrollable

• Members

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:17 PM

You dont like the original GTAs? you need a brain test. GTA1 and GTA2 were pure arcade fun. (I must admit, GTA-london was terrible.)

antonio montana
  • antonio montana

''real power cant be given it must be taken''

• Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (Groovyman @ Jun 28 2004, 21:22)
well i got to play gta and gta london:1969 and they suck bad. the controls suck the graphics suck (well it wasn't really it's fault it was on the ps1) the music is bad and well i just don't really like it. Maybe it's because i played gtaIII and vice before or it's just because they suck...hard, oh well it doesn't matter, im returning them to the video store and won't be renting them again, or will i buy them, ever. confused.gif

they suck sh*t all the colors hurt my eyes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users