90 replies to this topic
Rufus
  • Rufus

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:33 PM

user posted image

Thanks GTAF...

Good to have you back, apart from the coke. I typed in gtaforums.com as a reflex reaction, to my surprise it loaded. Good and bad. Unfortunately I had coke in my hand and well, the picture tells you what happened next.

Matt.
  • Matt.

east of eden

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:38 PM

And then God said: Let there be fun!

Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:40 PM Edited by Cerbera, 28 June 2004 - 03:41 PM.

Not got long before this library session expires, but I'll have a proper prod around tomorrow because they have super-long opening times on Tuesday. Great to see the negative stars gone but, imho, the positive ones should be gone as well because they are even more prone to the favouritism and there's no accountability in the way they are given out. Maybe having a "Positive karma listings" thread in the staff area would make staff more consistant in the way they give these rewards out, although I'm still of the opinion they are unworkable and unfair.

Who is this "Impact" character in the SA team? Did stilts re-name himself or something?

Anyway, this all seems like good news but I really must post this now before the computer does it's automatic shutdown.

(EDIT) LOL at Rufus! tounge2.gif

drought_silver
  • drought_silver

Battle Expert

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:48 PM

Oh, yeah, your back it was so boring without the GTA:Forums. biggrin.gif

peachy
  • peachy

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:54 PM

rufus, you drink diet?? ick....all or nothing baby.

welcome back gtaforums! "it's a far better thing to have our forums here than...not here..." (straight from a fortune cookie i swears..)

DCR
  • DCR

The Great Dane

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

Ahh, it's good to be back. Even though I don't post much I browse through here a LOT. When it was closed I got pretty bored Welcome back! Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif cookie.gif

WhoooMan
  • WhoooMan

wut.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:05 PM

Ahh... feels good to be back. biggrin.gif

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:32 PM

Lol I don't know what happened as this place has turned into a 'craphole' over the last 6months, but come on how old is everyone? From what Ill put on the first page you all sounded like a bunch of 6yr olds who like screaming & biting. What? Did someone take your virtual cookie? Grow the f*ck up, I showed this my Dad & he said "What is the average age for this place? 12?" I think that says it all...... confused.gif

Hopefully this will soon turn back to the nice GTA forum it was back in August/Sept of 2003.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:09 PM

Oh man.. I thought the warning stars were cool.
But, I like my Karma Star better. biggrin.gif

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:30 PM

"Hello, Hello, It's good to be back, it's good to be back"

It's like the second coming I sense an air of good karma besetting the forums, its like the storm has been coming for a while and now that its over we can now see the beauty of the place for what it is, yes I seem to be the resident hippy, but seriously it's good to be back here again, and I got out outside and enjoyed the fresh air..

"Now comes a word from our sponsors.."

"Have you become Fat, Have you become Tired, Have you said yes to that extra Doughnut and have you said 'Just another hour more' when on the GTAForums, then try taking a break you too can lose 200lbs in just three days.
(Jingle)IF YOU WANT TO LOSE YOUR FATTY BUM, THEN TAKE OFF A DAY OR THREE(Jingle)
Forum Breaks - new from Department of Health and Wellbeing"

"Now back to the show"

Where the smeg did that advert come from, anywho I welcomed a couple of Newbs to the forums not long before they closure I hope they weren't put off, but I don't think so I'm sure we'll see their happy smiley faces again, so welcome back, sit back relax, enjoy the show and don't forget popcorn and drinks are available in the foyer (but remember don't spill any, it makes a right mess biggrin.gif )

And remember if you think your blood pressure is rising take a break

G C

"This Post was brought to you by the Department of Health and Wellbeing, and the Get Along Gang"

Soni
  • Soni

Eriatarka

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:53 PM

colgate.gif

Good to have ya back GtaForums... It's been a tough week

amp!
  • amp!

it's hammer time!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:27 PM

Excellent, excellent...I agree, it was getting too serious and out-of-control before the shutdown, but goddamn it was hard to take! sad.gif I too found myself going to the forums at least once a day by habit, just to be greeted once again with that evil "Board Offline" message that tormented me the past few days.

Good to see things back in order, removing the stars is a great idea, I think that led to some conflicts that didn't need to happen.

amp! Hugs GTAforums

Asmodeus
  • Asmodeus

Defunct the Strings

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:32 PM

I couldn't believe it when I saw the forums were down. I didn't know it had come to that. I'm glad it's back.

Well, a fresh start now for all involved. Now I'm going to celebrate by going to discuss movies and San Andreas, like a good boy.

Now let's all get drunk and play ping-pong!

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:33 PM

Cool, but illspirit, the AfterFurture's Google add is kinda f*cked.

I mean it's blue 'n stuff, it was darkred before, please change that.

Oi.

Delorean
  • Delorean

Hey Kooool Aid

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:38 PM

So because of all this, all our stars are cleared ?

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Delorean @ Jun 28 2004, 22:38)
So because of all this, all our stars are cleared ?

I'm guessing you still have warnings saved, but there are no more visible negative stars.

Sillyhed2000
  • Sillyhed2000

Every time you try to small-talk me on MSN I will kill a puppy.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:45 PM Edited by Sillyhed2000, 28 June 2004 - 11:51 PM.

Sillyhed2000 hugs the forums

Good to have it back... I had almost nothing to do on the net without it, other than check for updates on Ctrl+Alt+Del Online and read through the volumous 8-bit Theatre archives... it was hard of getting out of the routine of typing www.gtaforums.com in the adress bar every day.

Oh yeah, and it looks to me like the new changes are gonna improve things a whole lot around here... good job smile.gif

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Jun 28 2004, 13:43)
I'm in, anybody else?

I'm with ya too!

Chunky Monkey sees no admin has given him a star for his walkthrough.........

biggrin.gif

Sutto
  • Sutto

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:08 PM

Instead of closing the forums down for a week wouldn't it been easier to get all those retards who wreck it for the rest of us, ban their arse.. Problem solved. If your only here to screw it up for every else get lost cause noone wants you fools! ... If the forums get out of hand again, let your itchy banning finger go crazy until things are back to normal cool.gif

Xme
  • Xme

Imagine Something Perfect™

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:41 AM

Glad you guys are back.
I remember those old days, it's going to be cool those old rules and everything.
Dunno wat really happened, but your right, people are too serious around here.

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:43 AM

*Plays 'Welcome Back Cotter'*
The outside (I think it's spelt like that, whatever it is) after these harsh, long, cold past few days; was starting to get flawly boring.

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Sutto @ Jun 29 2004, 18:08)
Instead of closing the forums down for a week wouldn't it been easier to get all those retards who wreck it for the rest of us, ban their arse.. Problem solved. If your only here to screw it up for every else get lost cause noone wants you fools! ... If the forums get out of hand again, let your itchy banning finger go crazy until things are back to normal cool.gif

And you think the admins/mods wouldn't be attacked even more for banning loads of people?

The reason they closed for a few days week is so everyone calmed down and then there would be no need for people to be banned!

Bendy
  • Bendy

Boss

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:35 PM

omg i'm such a blonde, i've only just discovered this topic lol, i had to be directed by purp after realising there was no bad karma, blah, anyway erm welcome back? doesnt seem like they ever went away biggrin.gif

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:38 PM

Might as well reply.

Good to see the forums are back up and that there's no negative karma. As for The Pit™, I was hoping it would stay, EXCEPT that it would remain read-only so that we (members) could read it to get a good laugh at random n00bs calling out people (I am aware staff can see it).

Good to see the place back.

Soldier
  • Soldier

Go Vols

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:24 PM

Nice job. Maybe i'll hang around here more.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE ( SadisticMachine)
Wow, conservative government hits gtaforums. The Reagan legacy swells with pride!  biggrin.gif

LMAO! Nah, this isn't Reganomics, it's Freemarket Communism™. wink.gif

QUOTE ( 40)
I wanted to clarify something. When you meant no punishment for flaming, surely there is some by-law that designates what an acceptable level of name-calling is before someone steps in.

Well, as long as any flamish arguments don't start interrupting other topics, or are otherwise self-contained (either in their own topic, or the argument stems from and is in a topic in which it's still relevant), then so be it. If even that becomes too nasty, we can always lock it, no? And in the event someone persists in spreading the animosity about, erm, well, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Temp bans could possibly be used to cool down a situation if it gets too unruly, but hopefully as a last resort. But yea, flaming happens on the intraweb, so there's no need to punish people for it.

QUOTE ( M16)
I have a couple of things to say though.. Personally, I don't see how we can supposedly think about and forums whilst off them, yet when we're on them act in a way that isn't serious at all. If you think about them offline, well, you're already taking them seriously.

I'm not too sure with the removal of negative karma. I liked being able to see if people had a tendancy to break the rules. To be honest, even somebody with sense can break a rule and get a star acidentally, as you hinted at. However, if somebody has in excess of 2 negative stars, then it's obvious that they aren't quite up to par.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only person hazy on this, but what will really be done to warn people now, and when will it go into effect?

I mourn the Pit.

Basically, I liked the fact that these forums were more sophisticated than any others I have visited, they actually have rules, n00bs were quickly mashed into a shape where they weren't, people don't run rampage. Hopefully I will still like it, and it won't have lost this aspect of foruming, but.. That's exactly what is seemingly beign slaughtered.

Well, when we said to think about them while away and to not take them serious, we didn't mean for anyone to go visit some Himalayan monk and meditate for a solid week about the affairs of the forums. 'Twas meant to ne more of a time to unplug and remember there's a difference between real life and the forums. wink.gif

As for the new inability to recognize rule breakers, well, if someone's bad enough to have truly deserved two bad stars, then it should be easy enough to spot them by their rubbish posts, no? And if they do make good posts for the most part, there's no real reason to rub it in that they screwed up once or twice. The more I think of it, it was sorta like painting 'bad driver' across someone's car because they caught a speeding ticket once in their life. In other words, it's not that the 'criminal record' was bad in and of itself, only the public branding as a result.

As for the warnings, well, there will still be verbal warnings, topic locks, and such from the mods. Not to mention the general public's ability to tell someone when they're being an asshat. Those who would ignore both would generally ignore warning stars, getting themselves b& in the end anyway. So if someone is a real wanker, the end result would be the same.

In regards to b00ns running rampant, don't worry, I'm sure there's some way the new relaxed rules can be used to allow people to 'mold young minds' properly, so to speak...

QUOTE ( Cerb)
Not got long before this library session expires, but I'll have a proper prod around tomorrow because they have super-long opening times on Tuesday. Great to see the negative stars gone but, imho, the positive ones should be gone as well because they are even more prone to the favouritism and there's no accountability in the way they are given out. Maybe having a "Positive karma listings" thread in the staff area would make staff more consistant in the way they give these rewards out, although I'm still of the opinion they are unworkable and unfair.

Ya, posi-stars can be a bit dodgy, but overall, they're meant to be fun. While there does exist potential for favoritism, maybe thatt's not an entirely bad thing. If nothing else, such abuse would still show who's popular, which in turn would set postive role models for people trying to fit in, or, erm, something like that.

@ Svippy - Yea, I know the google ad's are gross on the other skins. I had to write an emergency hack for them, which atm is getting them all from the same place. Thanks for pointing it out though.

@ Mac, et al - Yep, all bad stars are gone, and will not be used again.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:55 PM Edited by Cerbera, 01 July 2004 - 01:59 PM.

QUOTE (illspirit @ Jul 1 2004, 09:53)
QUOTE ( Cerb)
Ya, posi-stars can be a bit dodgy, but overall, they're meant to be fun. While there does exist potential for favoritism, maybe thatt's not an entirely bad thing. If nothing else, such abuse would still show who's popular, which in turn would set postive role models for people trying to fit in, or, erm, something like that.
I'm glad thier shortcomings are at least accepted to some degree by the staff. smile.gif

I'll make it known now that I'm still opposed to them and for exactly some of the reasons that you've removed the negative stars. People who don't have stars are publicly branded as being unhelpful members, users rather than contributers. Additionally, as you have pointed out, the lack of accountability promotes favourtism and the awarding of these stars to people because of thier popularity rather than hard graft they may have put in.

There's plenty of awesome contributants in areas like D&D, modification showroom, tutorials, editing, GFX and the people running organised groups in the Drama Club® who have less positive stars than people that just ingratiated themselves with the right people and havn't offerend such levels of contribution.

Thus I retain the position that they are unfair but acknowledge that the staff are keeping them to try and add some positive infrastructure.

(EDIT) Could this be a new era of co-operation between staff and members?!!? notify.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:50 PM

This thread has really gone downhill confused.gif

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:12 PM