• None

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:54 AM

It won't let me use my sig rotator.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:21 AM

As much as I like the new way of checking. I think the 500 X 150 is a bit extreme. I mean the last sig rules lowered it to stop people scrolling so much... I've seen some sigs that take up half the screen...

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:46 AM

I think the rules on the first page should be appended, to include that you can't put cursing in your sig images (obvioulsy it can't filter the image).
I got a verbal "warning" by fred, which didn't bother me, but the fact that it isn't actually spelled out in the sig rules was bothersome. It might be in the forum rules, i dunno, but thats not where i would look for them anyway. I would look for sig rules, in the sig rules topic, and its not addressed.

I'm also not the only person to do this either, there is atleast one other person who is currently (at the time of this writing), for a fact, using (a) curse word(s) in their sig image. i won't say who, since they might take it off by me mentioning it here, but i have reported them back to fred.

So yea, could we make a note of that in the sig rules?

Azkoyen
  • Azkoyen

Pixie Headed Freak

• Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:47 AM

Goddamnit, I thought I posted here already sad.gif

SIGNATURE BOUNDING BOX ERRORS

There's a difference between the two signature bounding boxes on the 'Signature Edit - Preview' page and the 'Profile View' page. The first one will wrap your text so it fits in the bounding box, but the profile view page will not wrap the text. This means that when a staff member checks your signature, and excessively long text will force the box to show red, whereas it seemed fine to you when you edited your signature.

I'll fix this problem as soon as I can (sometime tomorrow), but until then you'll have to check your signature on both the 'Signature Edit - Preview' page AND the 'Profile View' page. This is easy, when you're modifying your sig, right click your name in the top left corner of the page and open as a new window. This will display your profile. When you update your sig, refresh the profile page and check it.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Az.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Jun 23 2004, 23:36)
I swear I had to re-read that 3 times before I understood what you were saying, Jayz. I get it now blush.gif

I've been rambling a lot in school of late Dem. As I said, I'll try and make myself more clear from now on, you arent the only one to notice. lol.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:31 AM Edited by ashdexx, 24 June 2004 - 12:03 PM.

QUOTE (TwoZero @ Jun 23 2004, 13:15)
I think a 100x100 avatar is a good idea to, it is standard on most forums and I don't think many people will have problem with it.
And a avatar size limit of 8 Kb or something like that.

How about 80x80? cause, thats what this guy has...
http://www.gtaforums...?showuser=42577

Funny, i tired to get an 80x80 image up, and it still resets it at 64x64..
cry.gif notify.gif mad.gif

Edit: ive been informed that that avatar is part of the forums, it comes with the pack, or something. that being the case, why don't our personl av's get that big? lame.

Look at my last post too. his sig is still up. This place is defineitly f*cked up. fred responded, said he'd look into it. Funny, MY sig was down in no time flat. Now im not an admin or mod, but i can't imagine that telling the person the sig is breaking the rules, and disabling the image, would take more than a minute or 2.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Azkoyen @ Jun 24 2004, 09:47)

There's a difference between the two signature bounding boxes on the 'Signature Edit - Preview' page and the 'Profile View' page. The first one will wrap your text so it fits in the bounding box, but the profile view page will not wrap the text. This means that when a staff member checks your signature, and excessively long text will force the box to show red, whereas it seemed fine to you when you edited your signature.

I'll fix this problem as soon as I can (sometime tomorrow), but until then you'll have to check your signature on both the 'Signature Edit - Preview' page AND the 'Profile View' page. This is easy, when you're modifying your sig, right click your name in the top left corner of the page and open as a new window. This will display your profile. When you update your sig, refresh the profile page and check it.

Az.

Bloody library computers don't allow right-clicking. What am I gonna do, check the properties of a webpage? blink.gif

BTW, how come your name is displaying as "unregistered" - have you just changed e-mail or are the staff f*cking around as per? wink.gif

Doody the Clown
  • Doody the Clown

Schizophrenic.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Jun 24 2004, 07:48)
QUOTE (Azkoyen @ Jun 24 2004, 09:47)

There's a difference between the two signature bounding boxes on the 'Signature Edit - Preview' page and the 'Profile View' page.  The first one will wrap your text so it fits in the bounding box, but the profile view page will not wrap the text.  This means that when a staff member checks your signature, and excessively long text will force the box to show red, whereas it seemed fine to you when you edited your signature.

I'll fix this problem as soon as I can (sometime tomorrow), but until then you'll have to check your signature on both the 'Signature Edit - Preview' page AND the 'Profile View' page.  This is easy, when you're modifying your sig, right click your name in the top left corner of the page and open as a new window.  This will display your profile.  When you update your sig, refresh the profile page and check it.

Az.

Bloody library computers don't allow right-clicking. What am I gonna do, check the properties of a webpage? blink.gif

BTW, how come your name is displaying as "unregistered" - have you just changed e-mail or are the staff f*cking around as per? wink.gif

Read all the controversy over Demarest in General Chat, Cerbie. You really have been gone a lot.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

I don't want 100x100, or even 80x80 avatars. Big avatars suck the penis.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ Jun 24 2004, 13:31)
I don't want 100x100, or even 80x80 avatars. Big avatars suck the penis.

Whats wrong with big avatars? bigger av's would rule. its not the image size that frightens my 56k, its the file size.

Chunky Monkey
  • Chunky Monkey

XBOX LIVE COMING SOON!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

64x64 avatars are fine IMO and should stay at this size. Big avatars suck!

PS:- Gabe Logan is breaking the sig limits! nervous.gif

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:59 PM

What exactly would be wrong with bigger avatars? Treat them like sigs, if you can't fill up the space, just make / use smaller images. simple. its not forced.

Personally, i think 64x64 is very restricting.

Jakk
  • Jakk

Banned for Ripping!

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:03 PM

Your Av is 80 x 80 and its a standard IPB one. I wouldn't mind 80 X 80 but any bigger looks very n00bish IMO.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Jakk @ Jun 30 2004, 07:03)
Your Av is 80 x 80 and its a standard IPB one. I wouldn't mind 80 X 80 but any bigger looks very n00bish IMO.

yea, and its going to stay there indefinetily, until the avatar rules allow custom images to be atleast the same size, if not bigger.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Jun 30 2004, 12:59)
What exactly would be wrong with bigger avatars? Treat them like sigs, if you can't fill up the space, just make / use smaller images. simple. its not forced.

Personally, i think 64x64 is very restricting.

I could easily use up the space. I just wouldn't want to, big avatars look like sh*t.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Jun 30 2004, 13:07)
QUOTE (Jakk @ Jun 30 2004, 07:03)

yea, and its going to stay there indefinetily, until the avatar rules allow custom images to be atleast the same size, if not bigger.

The non-wrapping joined on date pushes that column out to much wider than a 64x64 image can fill, so adding 16 pixels both ways is no problem from a layout point of view. However, more pixels means more data using the same compression method because there is more information. Still, there are between 50kb and 100kb of just HTML on topic pages as it is already so you could argue larger images just suit that, or you could argue that people should use smaller images to limit the damage of enourmous filesizes.

Personally, I think 64x64 is reasonable because it's been the internet standard for like a decade, which means the avatar you have at one forum can be used at any.

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:46 AM

Between 100x100 and 128x128 is the common norm now, mainly due to the mainsteaming of broadband services.

To be honsest its no big deal. I use what the forum gives me to create a personal identity for myself, not what i want the forum to give me.

Mother nature dosent let you decide how you want to look. Swap an ear, get new legs, make youself bigger smaller etc. But you use what mother nature gave you to to give yourself the identity you wish to comminicate to people.

It might be ugly and inadequate, but you use what you've got no?

thedude420
  • thedude420

ghetto star

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:19 AM Edited by thedude420, 02 July 2004 - 01:32 AM.

why was the sign size changed again? i like the way you guys had it at the begining of this thread. now my sign is oversized and it wasnt yesterday. you guys really have to stop with changing the size limitation rules. i feel i shouldnt ware one if you guys keep changeing them around i might get in trouble and not even know it. good thing i checked my post count today. sad.gif

edit: from what i have seen me, ashdexx, phutile, and Jayzamann in this topic alone now have oversized signs. might there be something wrong with the new green border thing you guys have going?

i would also like to know if i do have to change my sign? because it took me alot of time to make my image look the way it dos i really dont want to have to redo it just to be a few pixels smaller.

Hotrod
  • Hotrod

Import Killer

• Members

Posted 02 July 2004 - 06:18 PM

For some reason mine is over sized (by what the little 2 pixel red lines say) but the file size is 18kb and the deminstions are 418x150. I cant seem to figure out why the dang thing still shows those little bitty red lines. My sig is smaller than other people's sigs. This is confusing.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:35 AM Edited by Cerbera, 30 July 2004 - 07:40 AM.

Wheelman has also encountered a problem with the signature size readouts. I created my skin and operate it in the 2k4Lite skin, in which it displays as perfectly within the rules for both views:

User Controls
user posted image

Profile View
user posted image

He disabled my signature and said it was oversized in the PM he sent informing me of this:
QUOTE (Wheelman via PM)
The following reason was given for this verbal warning:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verbal warning for oversize signature. The new automatic sig checker is showing red on your profile page, therefore, your signature space has been disabled. Please amend your signature to comply with the forum rules, and post in the Network Team forum when your sig is within limits so that a member of staff can check it and enable it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As we can see from the pair of proof images, the signature was categorically NOT outside of the boundaries when viewed in my usual choice of forum skins. What are the staff doing to solve this discrepancy? I intended to change my signature quote to one of George Bush I saw on The Late Show yesterday evening but havn't done so because I don't want to tamper with the evidence, as it were. smile.gif

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:49 AM

user posted image

sly.gif

Hotrod
  • Hotrod

Import Killer

• Members

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:00 PM Edited by Hotrod, 03 July 2004 - 02:08 PM.

Thats what mine looked like only the lines were smaller until I made the sig smaller. Then they got larger.

user posted image

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:24 PM Edited by Cerbera, 30 July 2004 - 07:38 AM.

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Jul 3 2004, 09:35)
Wheelman has also encountered a problem with the signature size readouts.  I created my skin and operate it in the 2k4Lite skin, in which it displays as perfectly within the rules for both views:

User Controls
user posted image

Profile View
user posted image

He disabled my signature and said it was oversized in the PM he sent informing me of this:
QUOTE (Wheelman via PM)
The following reason was given for this verbal warning:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verbal warning for oversize signature. The new automatic sig checker is showing red on your profile page, therefore, your signature space has been disabled. Please amend your signature to comply with the forum rules, and post in the Network Team forum when your sig is within limits so that a member of staff can check it and enable it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As we can see from the pair of proof images, the signature was categorically NOT outside of the boundaries when viewed in my usual choice of forum skins. What are the staff doing to solve this discrepancy? I intended to change my signature quote to one of George Bush I saw on The Late Show yesterday evening but havn't done so because I don't want to tamper with the evidence, as it were. smile.gif

Demarest just disabled my signature when it hasn't even changed size. Urgh, the staff really need to get thier act together else the whole forum rejuvination thing will have been in vain. sad.gif

Here's a couple of options the staff have in altering the policy:-
  1. Allow signatures to remain if they display within the boundaries in one or more skins.
  2. Only allow signatures to remain if they display correctly in ALL skins.
  3. Alter all the skins so that signatures are drawn the same size throughout.
Members should be given good notice if option three is used. I would oppose option two. I would support option one, although it makes life harder for us staff. I beleive option three is the best choice as it completely eliminates the problem of inconsistancy between the skins.

The dimensions used by 2k4Lite would be the ones I would suggest.

Icarus
  • Icarus

[C9] Orthonormal

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Cerb, they're having a problem with the tables at the moment in the signature area. Someone who can see the mod cave told me that they're trying to fix it right now. smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Icarus. @ Jul 5 2004, 15:31)
Cerb, they're having a problem with the tables at the moment in the signature area. Someone who can see the mod cave told me that they're trying to fix it right now. smile.gif
Ah, excellent news. I wonder why Demarest wasn't paying attention to that thread?

Anyway, the opening post also includes references to warning stars which aren't used any more. Those references should be removed else people will think breaking the rules will get them the good stars! tounge.gif

fred
  • fred

• Administrator
  • None

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:53 PM

As far as I know, the original size limits in the hack (that was made before the limits were decided upon) are 500x175. This means the measuring bars were all set to be 175 tall. So far only the default GTANet 2k4 skin has been updated to use the correct height limit of 150, and that seems to be what's causing the confusion.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:41 PM

I was about to comment on what I thought was cell padding on the GTANet2K4 Lite version, but thanks for clearing that up.

That is all.

Kraxxuz
  • Kraxxuz

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:09 AM

hELP plz i have a sig on my computer but i cat get it on help plz suicidal.gif

meathead
  • meathead

meh...

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:21 AM

You need to upload it first, then use the image tags and put the link in there. PM me if you still need help..

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:19 AM

I love you Meathead, but for god's sake, remove the size tags from your post wrappers sad.gif Please!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users