• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic
azzza
  • azzza

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Jul 14 2006, 17:31)
Long time no see. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've ripped me in the past, tossed out the advice given to you repeatedly by many coders, etc. You're on your own.

hi dem, yes in the past i did, but i learnt that lesson of ripping of people. Only reason i'm asking cause i looked at the home invasion and black boxville truck mission and couldn't must out what it dose (of which i got an out dated sascm.ini file). Can we forgive and move on? i only need a Skeleton code so i can understand how it can be done (as i'm using a picador for putting the objects into).

i've done some forum searching on timers and got the following information -

1) 16@ and 32@ are count up timers. 17@ 33@ are count down timers?

2) an minture mite be (10 seconds is 10000) 60000 * 60000 = 36000000000? (is that correct?)

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:26 AM

Well, my biggest complaint with you is that you asked the same question 10 times or made the same mistake 10 times, without ever taking what others said under advisement. You say it's in the past and indeed, it's been a long time. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt smile.gif Rest assured that the first time you indicate you're not trying to listen, I will make no effort to help you as I will assume you're doing as you once did.

1) Local timers count up only. They are 16@ and 17@ for GTA3/VC and @32 and @33 for SA. How they work is that you set them like you would any integer (almost always to 0) and then each time that thread encounters a wait, those locals are incremented by that amount. So if that thread encounters a wait 300 ms (milliseconds), the local timers of that thread are incremented by 300. Check original code for uses and you will see a very large amount of examples. Many of which are used to monitor time elapsing to coordinate cutsene animations with corresponding audio for example.

2) Since time is measured in milliseconds in these games...

1 minute = 60 seconds * 1000 milliseconds per second = 60,000 milliseconds.

3) By timers, I'm guessing you mean on screen timers as opposed to local timers. Again, consulting original code is the answer. On screen timers MUST be globals and are always countdown. Set the global variable for the total time in milliseconds, use the opcode for starting a timer with it and it is automatically decremented as time elapses. You can still perform if checks, math, etc on the variable. Just know that it will be reflected on the timer. For example, Taxi Driver adds seconds to the clock. It does this by adding X * 1000 to that integer, where X is the number of seconds to be added. If you want a count up timer, say for races, that's more complex. I suppose you could set a local timer, repeatedly set a global to that local, divide the global by 1000, and then display that on screen by use of a GXT entry that provides for an numeral. Original code will provide examples of other ways to do this.

larosco
  • larosco

Yay Area

• Members

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:28 AM Edited by larosco, 04 February 2007 - 07:30 AM.

ok i finally found out how to spawn a camera, but how does it work, it only flashes, wheres the pic? biggrin.gif

oh yeah, and why cant i use barton waterducks mission builder 1.3 doc with the 1.5 builder?

sleeper777
  • sleeper777

Mission Coder | Help Guru | Tech Ninja

• Members

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:27 PM Edited by sleeper777, 11 February 2007 - 04:40 AM.

@larosco

in SA the camera saves gallery pics in your 'My Documents' Folder by default under My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\Gallery\

in the Advanced Display Settings this feature could be turned off i personally have not dealt with much SA coding so maybe one of the other guys could clarify if there is script involved in saving the pics. IN VC the camera was used in just the one mission "Just call me Martha" and never really saved any of the pics except in the mansion later in the game there are pics of candy suxx and the senator on the desk.

as for your second question it is very vague but in an attempt to understand i would say that you mean why can't you use a a script written in MB 1.3 in 1.5, because of differences in the INIs and other factors in the builder versions, these scripts have to be run through the script converter first to be made compatible. remember this answer is given strictly based on the assumption that by doc you meant a script written by the older mission builder.

larosco
  • larosco

Yay Area

• Members

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

thx, i understand now.

sleeper777
  • sleeper777

Mission Coder | Help Guru | Tech Ninja

• Members

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:54 AM

Updated information in first post of this topic

New Text
New Links
Including Sanny Links and San Andreas Tutorials

Will be keeping an eye out for tutorials i haven't seen or found yet
i am also archiving alot of the tutorials on my personal site
(mostly pdf prints of the forum pages to keep original authors comments and support text)

If you have any suggestions for good tutorials i am missing PM me with the Links

ph34r.gif

Delerious
  • Delerious

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

Is there a website that is purely for Vice City coding?

1stgenLX-Turbo
  • 1stgenLX-Turbo

Dude0 Head Crew Mapper

• Members

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:52 AM

Can someone make a darkpact code tutorial using the latest one, the orginal post has dead pictures and when I compile it says I dont need some coding in it.

derty
  • derty

My member's custom title is "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:37 AM Edited by derty, 06 January 2008 - 10:39 AM.

This is like the umpteenth time I've read this post. Nice updates, I still don't
learn sh*t from it blush.gif It's probably just me, and anyone else who is better
suited for modeling at this point, but this is worth a try:

Could someone start making tutorials that actually teach? smile.gif

I know that sounds harsh, though I do not intend to be at all. I have been with this
community for years and still can't code a lick. Am I a coder in other places?
Not really, but I do understand all the stuff in this post, it just didn't teach anything.
It gives some outlining info, but no real understanding.

I know this is kinda like the same kind of post as someone going into the
mapping section here and saying "duh, how do I model something?" (that is,
if prior coding knowledge is indeed needed, as prior modeling is needed for
modding the models), but like...

Basically, SCM coding, modding, it should be a way to step your foot
IN to the door, not a place that you end up after you know it all...

Like, the attitude in this topic, and across much of SCM topics differs
from other modding sections in that other sections will teach and help
the very new, but here people are always pointed to other languages and
all of that jazz. I'm just saying, spawning a car, or a weapon, teaches
little if anything useful at all, and I really feel like SCM is closed in
these regards.

I personally guarantee that if one (just ONE) of the people here with a
true understanding of scripting GTASA can teach me (a n00b to it all
besides some hello world apps in C++ and delphi) to code, you will
see me belt out help to others. I am a fast learner, and that doesn't
say too much for SCM coding (or its teachers) when you consider
how long I have been trying and dying at this.

Thanks for intelligent readers and responses,

-derty

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:29 PM Edited by SteaVor, 06 January 2008 - 02:34 PM.

I can't really contribute to the matter at hand (usefulness of tutorials) because I've had some experience with coding before I even began looking at GTA code. It wasn't necessary for me to read any of the tutorials nor the MB readme because GTA's scripting language is a very simple one (stemming from the fact that its purpose is strictly limited to operating within a hard-coded environment).

I think it would be insightful to hear Knowledge Novice's opinion on this matter - he did learn coding after all, and I wonder what got him started before he posted his first topic (which should also be linked in the first post because it contains invaluable information for new coders).

And yeah, there's still no proper tutorial for important basics like 'using opcode 0001 properly', usage of flags, timers, ...

(I don't have any time to spend for such a tutorial which would only be useful for those who took the first steps already anyway.)

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

The way I learned it was to practice a lot. Doing many trials and errors helped me learned better without looking at tutorials. Reading people's posts and looking into the game code over and over again also helped me. I started with the extremely simple and started my way up.

derty
  • derty

My member's custom title is "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:33 AM

Smooth fellas tounge.gif I'm reading Knowledge Novice's post as I write this, and discovering
sanny builder's help system (I was like: Hey, wait a minute, sanny had a nice readme a long
time ago that I didn't get to go all the way through [previous attempts were MB].
Dammit, why'd he go "installer" on me? lol).

I have got to stop by and tell him how nice that upgrade is. I haven't seen the integration
to the program yet, but checking the program's DIR for a readme led to the help folder
and these chm's look promising.

I'll get to reading, I'll decompile the orginal SCM (as I have not since I installed sanny3),
and I'll begin to hurt my brain again <3

Honestly, a lot of the posts I've been reading have been kinda old, whether freshly bumped
or not, prior to KN's first post, even. I'm seeing good things from the places you guys point.

Thank you <3 I'll be back with a status report or help-begging somewhere in the near future wink.gif

-derty

djviruss
  • djviruss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Jun 22 2004, 13:49)
I prefer using 0.22 as it is the one I started with and alot of the stuff I've done with it for some reason won't complie in later versions.

Also - I don't know if you've noticed but thisa topic is entitled "infROmation" (and the rest obviously).

NICE colgate.gif

Flyingportugueseman
  • Flyingportugueseman

-Playboy-

• Members

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

Could anyone please tell me in what language GTA's script is in? blush.gif
(scripting language) xD

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Flyingportugueseman @ Feb 4 2009, 14:09)
(scripting language) xD

Its Rockstar own language.

Flyingportugueseman
  • Flyingportugueseman

-Playboy-

• Members

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Feb 4 2009, 18:37)
QUOTE (Flyingportugueseman @ Feb 4 2009, 14:09)
(scripting language) xD

Its Rockstar own language.

So I wont find it in books huh...
Damn! biggrin.gif
Oh well tial and error then... facedesk.gif
Thanks!

Kebabson
  • Kebabson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

How to make an NPC invulnerable?

tenshugaX
  • tenshugaX

Tenshuga Segunda Etapa

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

i wanto know how to do this really bad
people who do this and upload there mods get a lot of downloads
i only know how to do maps and txd files

Bad.boy!
  • Bad.boy!

SA modder

• Members

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Look at the tutorials, ohh and do you want to learn it for getting a big number of downloads?
If so you haven't got a live

darlingbritney
  • darlingbritney

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi Everyone
I'm new to This forum
it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in;)

Urban Legend
  • Urban Legend

No, f*ck no.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

Anyone know the where abouts of a VC tutorial explaining scripted camera movements? I want to learn for a video intro.

Skander44
  • Skander44

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (TwoZero @ Saturday, May 29 2004, 23:17)
Erm a link to the mission builder would be nice for people to start with...

or do you just assume they have it?

Sanny Builder (for making missions too) is available at Seemann's Sanny Builder page or available at my site with CLEO3, CLEO4 , CLEOGTAIII and they all come with sanny builder : My Website Page Of CLEO (download)

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE (Skander44 @ Thursday, Feb 21 2013, 14:26)
QUOTE (TwoZero @ Saturday, May 29 2004, 23:17)
Erm a link to the mission builder would be nice for people to start with...

or do you just assume they have it?

Sanny Builder (for making missions too) is available at Seemann's Sanny Builder page or available at my site with CLEO3, CLEO4 , CLEOGTAIII and they all come with sanny builder : My Website Page Of CLEO (download)

Please check post dates before replying. It's been a good 9 years since that post. wink.gif

I will close this topic since it is outdated, and the recent replies haven't been relevant. The first post includes a link to more up-to-date info.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users