Photo

GTA3 mods converted for GTA:LC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic
jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:04 AM Edited by jcab42, 14 October 2004 - 10:47 PM.

See all of the converted mods here (with pictures)

This topic is for discussing old GTA3 mods to be installed in GTA:LC. I just finished putting together two such convos.

Ultimate Stunt Park by ODIE

and

Intercity Highway by ODIE and illspirit

These files are availble from gta.mods4us.net. Login, goto the downloads, and click Main : Modifications : Map Mods : GTA:LC maps.

On my computer I can actually load both mods at the same time using the safe installs (no 2dfx, no extra stunt park objects). Here's a screeny:

user posted image

plenty more at this address:

http://www.gta.mods4...bumName=album15

Here's the issues I've had to deal with so far when converting these mods for use with GTA:LC:

1. the generic.txd from gta3 was renamed gtaiii.txd so the ide's need to be updated (change generic to gtaiii)
2. even though the 2dfx lights worked with the original version of GTA:LC, they aren't working for me now...
3. the maps folder is now the gta3maps folder. That's one of the many reasons to update the old readme's
4. new object limits are popping up that were not an issue with the first version of GTA:LC
5. correct me if I'm wrong but Smither's tool forces you to change each line individually. Regardless, nothing happens when I click the "set" buttons so it doesn't work on my computer which means I needed moomapper to update the ipls with the -350x change, but the ped path caused moomapper to crash... fun troubleshooting work biggrin.gif

BIG QUESTION: Why does the game crash after loading the 2dfx lights? (it's because there's too many - duh)
(they worked with the first version of GTA:LC)

Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:24 AM Edited by gta3freak_2001, 27 May 2004 - 08:27 AM.

Nice work, its great to see someone working on coverting much loved mods from gta3 into GTA LC. I can't really help you with the technical side as I am a user of mods rather than a creator if you know what I mean.

BTW the links you posted are the same, might want to change that.

Gn Lann
  • Gn Lann

In darkest night...

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:32 AM

I never used the highway in my version of gta3. (i never knew such a thing existed as i had no use for mods other then realgta)

Does it have flowing traffic on it? I wouldn't be all by myself would i?

holdenrulz
  • holdenrulz

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (Gn Lann @ May 27 2004, 19:32)
I never used the highway in my version of gta3. (i never knew such a thing existed as i had no use for mods other then realgta)

Does it have flowing traffic on it? I wouldn't be all by myself would i?

not that i know of the version i played didn't but there is the highway patrol station and McOdies

Wolly
  • Wolly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

@jcab:
Can you give me your IDE file of the Stunt-Park? 2 months ago I have found a way, that the Moo Mapper didn't crash, but you must give me yozr IDE-file of the Stunt-Park.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:07 AM

I just checked it. It turned out to be the ped path ODIE put in the original file.

Gn Lann
  • Gn Lann

In darkest night...

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:51 AM

Yeah.. But no traffic confused.gif That kind of ruins the whole point. Plus, if my car blows up im basically stranded in the middle of no where until i find an exit.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

Don't even try to convert my archipeligo. It's a mess. I made it through my "I'm-too-cool-to-use-primatives" phase, and as such, the entire thing is poly modelled, meaning the normals of any given polygon will be random.

user posted image
See?

But if you want to try, you're more than welcome to.

That is all.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:14 AM Edited by jcab42, 27 May 2004 - 11:19 AM.

Yeah.. But no traffic confused.gif That kind of ruins the whole point. Plus, if my car blows up im basically stranded in the middle of no where until i find an exit.

just how in the hell is anyone suppose to make a car path for the the highway when it was never released as a VC mod until now? confused.gif is right.

Anyways, now that we have a beginning for it's lfe in GTA:LC, we can proceed to making a car path for it tounge.gif

lol@OPius, I noticed that way back when after I looked at the archipelgio with kcow's old mapper. I assumed you did that on purpose so that the objects would be easy to see from either above or below in the mapper. Users of the old mapper might remember how difficult it was to see objects from underneath.

Wolly
  • Wolly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:17 AM Edited by Wolly, 27 May 2004 - 11:30 AM.

Now I have Miss Liberty and the highway in my game...but no lights... confused.gif
Now I try to convert the Stunt-Park.

Edit:
Yeah! All 3 maps are working. colgate.gif cool.gif
But without lights... cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:23 PM

I dont know what is up with my LC atm, but I know its omething which I have done. I attempted to install the highway, firstly it crashed half way up that ouuvly pink bar, so I changed the gta-vc.dat manually, so the game loaded up and after 1 second it crashes.
I have not read this topic, as im in a rush but wht is the cause of this?
I want to know the fix, but also want to know the problem of this because I tried to install another map mod which was made for VC and the exact same thing happened, so I have had no succes with that either atm.

Thanks, keep up the great work jcab. smile.gif Oh, and your last av was much cooler ph34r.gif

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:28 PM

@jcab: THANK YOU! I don't know how word got to you, but it is greatly appreciated. Keep it up and xmas.gif will have more than cookie.gif cookie.gif wink.gif

Oh, and pay no attention to the naysayers. Especially those who often speak without knowing what they're talking about biggrin.gif

Wonder if illspirit's seen this yet...

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

A. f*ck

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ May 27 2004, 11:28)
@jcab: THANK YOU! I don't know how word got to you, but it is greatly appreciated. Keep it up and xmas.gif will have more than cookie.gif cookie.gif wink.gif

Oh, and pay no attention to the naysayers. Especially those who often speak without knowing what they're talking about biggrin.gif

Wonder if illspirit's seen this yet...

Ditto, Ditto...

I am gonna try and get it all installed before the weekend is over, hopefully I don't get too busy. wink.gif

Hmm... Illspirit = Illando = One more save point? tounge.gif

Great job jcab, much apreciated.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

Yay!! The Intercity Highway could actually have traffic in the VC engine! If anyone was waiting for permission to convert or something, don't, as this has my quite happy blessing. Sadly, O-Dog's not around to aks, but I'm sure he'd be quite happy to see the highway come to life as well.

*edit- If anyone wants to convert illando, be my guest. I still think it's quite crap (especially by today's standards), but if you really want it in-game, help yourself. I'm scared to look at it again, personally. tounge.gif

sleeper777
  • sleeper777

Mission Coder | Help Guru | Tech Ninja

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:28 PM Edited by sleeper777, 27 May 2004 - 09:09 PM.

a minor issue i found with the highway
this was on line 62 of my gta_vc.dat....

CODE
COLFILE 0 DATA\gta3maps\stunt-park\stunt-park.col

i thought this was causing crashes because i don't have boths mods installed so i removed it but still it crashes at the halfway loaded mark ....

However when i edited my gta_vc.dat my self i got everything to load as far as seeing tommy and the starting car on the bridge.... then it crashes again....

also one question about the readme...
end of instruction 2:

At this point rebuilding the archive is good for troubleshooting but normally you proceed to click "close" and exit the program.

are we supposed to rebuild the archive or not i am confused...

Pleas jcab any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated...

Edit: PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I have dloaded the newest files and still i get a crash about halfway ......

Xyzar
  • Xyzar

Using up space and oxygen since 1986

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:41 PM

the highway definatly needs paths.. it was always so dull and empty there :\
(well, if was nice to see how fast your car could go, but not reall realistic/fun)

good luck smile.gif

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:04 PM Edited by jcab42, 27 May 2004 - 09:16 PM.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. illando and arpeglio definatly need to be done. I'd also like to do MrMilti's Orbital city and his two lovely bridges.

Nice to have one of the gods (illy) in our presence. I figured you and Odie wouldn't mind, especially if I kept as much info from the original readme as possible. I just had someone steal my mod and call it their own so I know what that feels like -- kinda an interesting sensation, a bit burny and tingly:
http://raceplanet.ru...oreinfo&id=1350

GT-1: I agree with you about the av but I'm going to keep this one a bit longer as you can see alot of detail on the puppet...
Your game could be crashing for a number of reasons. Here's a few:

1. error in a dat file
- if you edited any text file by hand then you may have forgot to dot one of you t's so double check it or try using the files I included in the zip. If you are using the current version of GTA:LC with no other mods then you should be able to use the included files without editing.

2. if you are trying to install the original GTA3 version of the highway then...
- your crash could be due to the 2dfx lights. Delete everything after the first "end" in the IDE file and you should be golden
- if you followed the directions from the old GTA3 version then you probably didn't edit your dat files correctly, like calling the the folder "maps" instead of "gta3maps".

3. did you put the highway folder in the data/gta3maps folder? Double check that and the dat files...

that's all I can think of so far.

However when i edited my gta_vc.dat my self i got everything to load as far as seeing tommy and the starting car on the bridge.... then it crashes again....

Sleeper: thanks for catching the extra col line the the highway gta_vc.dat. I just updated the file. I never did experience the game crashing while in the game so I don't know what might have caused that. Unfortunatly we are facing some buggy roads ahead. BTW, the included gta_vc.dat works on my computer so maybe my computer is slightly better than yours. I've noticed that the number and complexity of mod objects you can install is directly related to your computer power.

QUOTE (sleeper)
also one question about the readme...
end of instruction 2:
QUOTE (jcab42)
At this point rebuilding the archive is good for troubleshooting but normally you proceed to click "close" and exit the program.
In other words: don't rebuild. It takes a while and usually makes no difference. If your game crashes then you should open the img file and rebuild to eliminate that as a possibility.

More clearity about the 2dfx lights issue:
In case anyone is wondering, this has nothing to do with the 2dfx dff's that you guys have made to fix the 1 sided faces problem. This is ablout the 2dfx section of the IDE files that create those lights that Wolly was crying about. (I'm about to start crying too if noone knows why this is happening) but the deal is that when you load the original IDE from either the Stunt Park or the Highway, the game crashes because of the 2dfx lights (and smoke, etc.). As I said, I originally installed these mods in the first version of GTA:LC, the one the pine-creek put together. The game didn't crash, the lights and smoke were there, and everything worked fine. What has happened to GTA:LC since then that is causing the 2fx lights to crash the game? The Liberty City IDE's have working 2dfx lights and the format is exactly the same. I'm really stumped on this one.

Mazzocchi
  • Mazzocchi

Ashley Massaro's Husband

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:32 AM

maybe its jsut me butthe on-ramps are all messed up, they go away into the ground, and the one by hardwood doesnt even touch the ground. maybe its just me, i'll provide SS if you want

sleeper777
  • sleeper777

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:33 AM Edited by sleeper777, 28 May 2004 - 08:50 AM.

I guess you could be right Jcab about the pc confused.gif cry.gif

1.0 Ghz AMD
256 MB RAM
2, 40 GB HD
Nvidia GeForce 2 Mx 440 64 MB 4xAGP
Win XP Pro
Fresh install of vice
fresh in stall of LC
i have also in stalled the latest updates from the updates link in my sig (could it be the col update)
Vice 1.1 (maybe this is it i guess i will have to find a 1.0 .exe arrghhh or reinstall colgate.gif )

I have done it exactly by the readme 5 times and i have installed the files over and over and still i get a crash when i am about halfway loaded.. i tried the limit adjuster thread and thought maybe this could affect it .... so i changes me .exe to the 9000 dummys and 9000 objects or whatever and still no luck it crashes without fail everytime at the exact same spot.... as far as the one time i got it to load to the opening fade in goes ...i have not been able to reproduce this since.....
biggrin.gif
oh well not willing to spend money on my PC right now to run a mod so i will just finish my missions for plain old liberty city.... besides i haven't even jumped, climbed or riden over evrything in LC yet so i still have some work to do and fun to have.... ph34r.gif yin-yang.gif

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:59 AM

Maz, I suspect you are either using the old highway with the new LC or the old LC with the new highway. If you are using the new version of both then everthing should line up perfectly. The new ipl files move everthing -350 on the x axis (west).

Sleeper, nice sig. Funny, your computer sucks just slightly more than mine. I have a 1.4 gig and the rest is the same (I got 4xAGP, you?). Could it be that that extra .4 gig makes that much difference?

I have to ask, this is a fresh install of VC and a fresh install of the May 2004 version of LC right? I've also been thinking of other factors that could cause a crash when the user follows the directions completly. I'll make a quick list of...

Differences From One Computer to the Other

1. what verson of windows are you using (ATM I'm using ME blush.gif )
2. are all your drivers (mainly sound and video) current (that's where my computer really sucks, they never even got past beta before discontinuing...)
3. apperently there's a Vice City v1.1 Patch. I haven't used it.
4. factors that can drag windows down - corruption/ missing or wrong version dlls, disk fragmention, TSR and sytem tray items (ctr-alt-delete, end task everything but explorer), display settings.

These things on their own shouldn't be a problem but it seems like GTA3 and VC don't like it when there's multiple weak links in the chain.

And I'm far from perfect. There could still be a flaw in the readme or something. Looks like wolly got as far as me. Anyone else have success?

sleeper777
  • sleeper777

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:59 AM Edited by sleeper777, 28 May 2004 - 09:07 AM.

ok i have reproduced the same thing i got the first time and the only difference was i changed my .exe back to ver 1.0

i can see the player and the starting car but before the fade finishes it crashes

i still think it has something to do iwth the col update or something from the updates

edit: ok i replaced the updated files with the originals and i got about two seconds further before a crash .. i could not move the player but the fade was almost gone.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:05 AM

Ok I am getting a crash as well with a fresh install of LC so meh something's not up.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

OK, I am still having major problems with getting the Highway installed, so far its the only I have tried and I have now tried to install it 2 time but with same error.

I re-installed LC over a fresh version of VC no mods, just the BETA release. If I replace the gta-vc.dat just copy and paste it over I get a crash halfway up the pink bar.
So I replaced the BETA release of the gta-vc.dat and edited this by hand, placing them all in the correct places by looking at the gta-vc.dat included in this zip. My game now get to the game start you can see Fido and Kuruma in from of you and it just crashes atraight away.

I followed the instruction carefully 2 times and its still the same even over a clean install and just the BETA.
I have no clue to why this is doing it, especially if other people got it working fine. confused.gif

I am using the highway from the link you provided at the top of the first page also.

No succes from here either.

GT-1

Kurropt Antagonist
  • Kurropt Antagonist

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:23 PM Edited by Kurropt_Antagonist, 28 May 2004 - 04:25 PM.

I've noticed that if you start a NEW GAME, it will crash when you first appear on the normal highway with the Kuruma. HOWEVER, if you load a game, it will work fine.

HOWEVER [again], I've got the same problems with the Highway going through the ground, or not touching the ground at all. Also, some parts of it are missing so I'm forced to hit the brakes or drown. Doing this caused me to hit the railing and I went INTO it. Which was funny, because I had just looked at the big billboard with the COLL subject on it [I forget what it says].

The only mods I had for LC at the time were the Magic Wheel Mod, the Beta Law Enforcement, and also I'd replaced the radio stations.

QUICK EDIT: Also, you can walk straight through the "This space reserved for... someone..." sign at the Police station.

Run Down That Guy
  • Run Down That Guy

Hmmm

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

Loaded into portland, got into landstalker, backed out of garage and PING! froze. so no loading dosnt work for me.

jcab42
  • jcab42

Custom Planet Builder

• Members

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

D'OH!!!

Yall were right, the highway download was really skrewed up. Must have been going too fast that night, but I honestly thought I tested it properly, sorry guys.

Turns out that I had zipped up the old version of the highway folder suicidal.gif and the fact that the highway.ide still had the 2dfx lights was the reason why your game crashed.

Furthermore, since it was the old folder with the old ipl, the highway was not moved -350x, explaining why things weren't lining up. That shouldn't have caused a col problem though.

Once again, big soz to you lot. I just updated the highway download. If you had problems then all you need to do is replace the "highway" folder.

sleeper777
  • sleeper777

• Members

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

hooray for jcab i got a higawy in my city again.... thanks i was feeling very dumb for getting it to crash over and over but with different memory address's everytime i changed something ....

JCAB is Da MAN!!!!!

Camonte
  • Camonte

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:47 PM

If I download the highway does that mean I will have Vice City and Liberty city to play in? Or do I need to do something else?

Outback
  • Outback

GTA:LC Team

• Members

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

Camonte: Having the two cities in play at the same timesimply can't be done. The engine has its limitations.

Camonte
  • Camonte

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:54 PM

So what is the highway for then? confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users